Saturn Celeste

The Cooking Corner

23 minutes ago, DownUnderNZer said:

Might be a few disasters before one success.

That's ok!  We're watching! 

I grew up eating grits, oatmeal,malt o' meal and rice for breakfast along with cereals, not so many cooked meals like eggs.  Mom usually made ultra thin pancakes like crepe quality.  Her secret was she didn't use eggs in them.  I like thicker cake pancakes and real maple syrup.  She stuffed hers with jams.  I like grits as a side dish with a little butter and pepper.  I don't cook with salt.  I'm wondering how they would mix with quinoa?  If your food is runny, keep your grits on the dry side and serve them.  When the juices of the meat or sauce run, the grits will soak them up.  

54 minutes ago, DownUnderNZer said:

POLENTA TARTS

As for savoury - I really like quiche, so am going to work on my own version of crispy polenta shells and put inside them an eggy cheese mixture with either smoked salmon or ricotta and spinach. Low fat and calories.

Will be back with a recipe?

Only if it works out. 🙂

DND

Oh that sounds great, yes please share the recipe once you have it all mapped out 🙂

Bought everything I need and have made Bolognaise and soup ahead of the imagined tart(s) plus everything to try and make crispy casings like almond flour, normal four, and Parmesan cheese. In addition, I bought Raspberries and Philadelphia cream cheese to perhaps make sweet tarts if so inclined. Have two boxes of Cocoa and lots of honey plus coconut sugar. Rolled oats too.

I think I could whip up something if not too lazy...

Will be back later tonight with the verdict.

Crossing fingers.

POLENTA TART SHELLS

Basic

Round One

I cooked half a cup of Polenta in about 2 cups of filtered water with a pinch of added sea salt. 

Then when cooked after 5 or so minutes once it thickened - I separated the batch into two bowls with a bit more for the savoury tart. Butter was added to it before separating it as well as a mix of Linseed and Almond Flour, Oatmeal and about 2 TBSPs of plain flour.

Am trying to keep this low in calories and fat as well as natural as possible.

Savoury

1 tsp of Olive oil added only then 1 tsp of grated Parmesan over the top after being spread out as I forgot to add it in at this stage plus am not a huge fan of cheese.

Sweet

1 TBSP of honey added and grated lemon rind.

NOW

Both are in the fridge setting before they will be baked for 20 mins to 30 mins.

DOUGH

IMG-20190610-143027.jpg

SAVOURY TART BASE

IMG-20190610-143021.jpg

SWEET TART CUPS

IMG-20190610-143754.jpg

@joy @Saturn Celeste @Raggydoll

DND 🙂

The Process

After baking in the oven for 20 mins at about 180C I brought them out to cool down for 5 mins. (Photos: Bottom)

FILLINGS

For savoury I used free range eggs, a splash of full cream milk, 97% reduced fat smoked ham and streaky bacon grilled in drip drop fashion so as to reduce the fat on that as well. Also, roasted tomatoes and onions plus another sprinkle of Parmesan.

Salt and pepper to taste. 

For sweet - I used a blend of avocado, honey, cream cheese and heaped TBSPs of cocoa powder plus raspberries. Found some coconut flakes so roasted them as well! And I did fan grilling if the bases just to brown them more.

Fresh or frozen raspberries are fine I believe.

Savoury Base (20 mins)

IMG-20190610-171759.jpg

Sweet Polenta Cups (20 mins)

IMG-20190610-171806.jpg

SWEET FILLINGS

IMG-20190610-175841.jpg

IMG-20190610-175847.jpg

IMG-20190610-175913.jpg

Posted (edited)

Final Results & Taste Verdict

"SAVOURY"

So...

Eating a slice of the savoury one right now and I like it. The edges are crispy and the crust is quite decent. Holds the fillings and goes well with the egg and smoky flavours. Even tomato!

Good overall crunchiness.

A lot of work is all I will say and although it is not as good as puff pastry in that flakey buttery taste - what I will say is it is a lot healthier and better than I could have thought. Do not mind this base at all.

Will keep experimenting of course as practise makes perfect.

"SWEET"

On to Sweet...

My oh my - we have an absolute winner!!!

Coming from the person that never cooks cakes or biscuits really. Maybe crumbles now and then, but nothing fancy or gourmet etc.

Crispy all over and the blended raspberry at the bottom marries perfectly with the chocolate filling and roasted coconut on the top. 

And to think this is actually   healthy - low in calories and....well, it would have been reduced fat had I used Philadelphia light. (Sorry).

So, maybe half healthy...

What I can say is it is scrumptious and decadent plus I would make it again and again regardless of the steps and process.

The shells or cases go perfectly with my choice of fillings and I have not been disappointed with each mouthful. I can't wait to take the next bite!

I didn't exactly write down the exact measurements so am hoping this is not a fluke moment. 

Will keep experimenting with fillings and at some point reduced cream cheese.

Second time using and cooking Polenta - good result.

Confession: Not a fan of cooking believe it or not, but am a fan of great tasting food.

DND 💓

IMG-20190610-174612.jpg

IMG-20190610-174655.jpg

IMG-20190610-180501.jpg

IMG-20190610-180507.jpg

@Saturn Celeste @joy @Raggydoll

Edited by DownUnderNZer

I love making recipes for my craft work. It's part of my favourite stuff to do. One of my favourite treats to make is Soda Bread! It's so versatile that I can't help but make it for everything. I also love substituting things! So great!

On 6/11/2019 at 3:21 PM, Hakenensenu said:

I love making recipes for my craft work. It's part of my favourite stuff to do. One of my favourite treats to make is Soda Bread! It's so versatile that I can't help but make it for everything. I also love substituting things! So great!

Breads are my weakness!  I have a French bread I'm saving for bread pudding but I am not sure I can stay out of it.  I notice my son already took a bite! :balloon_che:

I have a new recipe to share, just cooked it up an hour ago!  Serves 4 - 5.

Zucchini & Onion Fish

You'll need 2 lbs fish

squirt of lemon juice

3 medium onions

2 large zucchini

olive oil

half cup quinoa

one cup rice (I used white)

3 cups water

grape leaves boiled or steamed on top of the fish and vegetables until soft if available in your area or any large leaf lettuce uncooked

I don't cook with salt so the spices I used for this are Mrs Dash Table, Mrs Dash Onion & Herb, Mrs Dash Lemon Pepper.

The fish I used was catfish but any type fish will do.  This works really good with fresh caught lake fish too!

Place fish in a frying pan.  I use a teflon pan.  Cover with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper from a grinder.  Then sprinkle with the Lemon Pepper and squirt the lemon in.  Set the heat on med-hi on the burner.  Then chop  up the vegetables and add, do not disturb the fish!  I chopped up the onions last and sprinkled the Onion and Herb on them.  Cover and cook until you hear sizzling, then reduce heat to med-lo. 

Combine the rice, quinoa and water and bring to a boil.  Sprinkle the Table Blend in the pot.  After it comes to a boil, cover and simmer until rice is cooked.  The quinoa mixes in great and lends a nutty flavor to the white rice!  I prefer cooking with wild rice but I had a package of white rice so I use that with the quinoa.

The fish needs to simmer for a half hour or so, depending on how your stove cooks.  After 20 minutes, flip the fish from the bottom (should be browned) and gently turn in the fish with the vegetables.  Make sure to  blend the spices if you've used similar ones to me.  Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or so.

By now the rice should be cooked, so make a bed of grape leaves or large leaf lettuce and spoon the rice on top.  Lay out the fish and vegetables on top of the rice.  I use sodium free soy sauce and put that on my portion, so did my son.  It's really good served with the soy sauce!  You can also squirt with additional lemon on top if you don't want the soy sauce.  This was a fast, delicious meal all in one pot except the rice.  Nice change from potatoes!

Left over Zucchini, Onions and Fish. (Catfish)

I said the recipe serves 4 but it's possible to stretch it out to 6.  We had quite a bit left over from yesterday so my son and I discussed what we could pick up from the store to use the leftovers for lunch.  He bought Chi Chi's Salsa, soft taco shells, bag of coleslaw, shredded mixed Italian cheese.  We made fish tacos!  I can't eat crunchy foods so I cooked a quarter of the bag of coleslaw in with the leftovers to soften the cabbage and carrots.  covered and cooked on low for a half hour careful not to stir too much.  When the cabbage was tender, I shut down the burner and for my son added the fresh coleslaw (cabbage), some of the shredded cheese and a few spoonful's of salsa and topped with the fish mixture and wrapped up the fish taco!  He loved it!! 

For my taco I just spooned the fish mixture, covered in salsa and wrapped it up.  Because I cooked the food in neutral spices, I was able to have an Asian flavor last night and Mexican today!  We have enough for a couple more tacos when my son gets home from work late tonight.

My husband is Cajun, so he loves to cook.  My favorites are chicken and sausage gumbo, stuffed bread, and smothered chicken. It’s hard to get a potato down here in south Louisiana. Rice everywhere😂😂  He loves when I cook “hillbilly food”, but can only eat if for a day or two and then it’s back to Cajun cuisine. 

1 hour ago, MorticiaMonroe said:

My husband is Cajun, so he loves to cook.  My favorites are chicken and sausage gumbo, stuffed bread, and smothered chicken. It’s hard to get a potato down here in south Louisiana. Rice everywhere😂😂  He loves when I cook “hillbilly food”, but can only eat if for a day or two and then it’s back to Cajun cuisine. 

Life ain't worth livin without a can of Tony Chachere's! "Use it just like salt" :classic_laugh: I discovered it on my one and so far only trip to N.O. back in the early-90's. I love the stuff! :classic_love:

We used to have a Justin Wilson cookbook!  Back in Iowa we used to have while game feeds where hunters shared their kills and it was all cooked by the Legion.  They were incredible!  I loved the bear and racoon.  Bear was like pork and racoon was very dark meat, kind of like duck but it was not poultry.  The Legion cooked them in big pits outback, all day.  The smell permeated the town!!

2 hours ago, Saturn Celeste said:

We used to have a Justin Wilson cookbook!  Back in Iowa we used to have while game feeds where hunters shared their kills and it was all cooked by the Legion.  They were incredible!  I loved the bear and racoon.  Bear was like pork and racoon was very dark meat, kind of like duck but it was not poultry.  The Legion cooked them in big pits outback, all day.  The smell permeated the town!!

I remember watching his show on PBS. He was funny! And I didn't know that they had bears in Iowa. I've never had bear or racoon for that matter, only alligator was the weirdest.

5 minutes ago, JustPeachy said:

only alligator was the weirdest.

Tastes like chicken only gamier!! :bubble_blol:  The meat could be killed in another state but donated to the game feed.

Here you go!  Summer Gator!

4 minutes ago, Saturn Celeste said:

Tastes like chicken only gamier!! :bubble_blol:  The meat could be killed in another state but donated to the game feed.

Here you go!  Summer Gator!

Wow, that's a lot of protein! And that picture looks like a Gator Po Boy to me! :classic_laugh: (I actually prefer the fried oyster po boy)

2 hours ago, JustPeachy said:

I remember watching his show on PBS. He was funny! And I didn't know that they had bears in Iowa. I've never had bear or racoon for that matter, only alligator was the weirdest.

That was the best cooking show ever. He'd say things like "A lady wrote in asking how long you cook it. You cook it till it's ready!"
And then he'd almost unfailingly get into the wine. He used to make "party tapes", too. Old 8 tracks of him telling off-color jokes.

When I used to eat meat, I tried a lot of game. I didn't really like it much, with the exception of deer, squirrel, frog legs, and rabbit. And the rabbit was always brined. With squirrel, you clean them and leave them on a plate in the refrigerator overnight before cooking for some reason. With frog legs, you have to cut the tendons, or they "jump". Oh, and rattlesnake isn't too bad, but it has a lot of tiny bones, and it keeps moving after you cut it up, until it's fried stiff.

I'm kind of sorry I ate all those guys now. They never did anything to me. :(

15 minutes ago, katrinka said:

With frog legs, you have to cut the tendons, or they "jump".

Oh but sauteed frog legs in garlic butter taste so good!! 🐸  Same with escargot. 🐌

@katrinka I've fried rabbit before when I lived in Chicago and could get them frozen at the local grocery. They were ok. My baby brother always got a kick out of frying 1-2 of them up at Easter. :classic_rolleyes: But I have to admit that I adore Venison. My country grandma could cook it and we'd have to ask if it was beef or not. And one of the best venison meals I ever had was in Austria, served with some kind of red sauce, really lovely!

@Saturn Celeste I'll admit that the only times I've had frog legs has been at the Chinese Buffet and I thought they had the consistency of chicken wings with a fishy flavor. Not anything I'd write home about to be honest. Maybe if they were deep fried like actual chicken wings that might be something else entirely.

I made some yogurt yesterday. Haven't made a batch in a while so I'm looking forward to it, especially with the fresh strawberries I picked up. For the price of $3.50 USD I have 3.5qts of yogurt and 1qt of milk leftover. I'm gifting one of the quarts to my UberCoolNeighbor, the one that brings me flowers from her yard. I like surprising her.

1 minute ago, Saturn Celeste said:

Do you use a yogurt maker?

Nope! I actually incubate in my microwave! :classic_laugh: It's the perfect sealed environment. I just can't use my microwave for 24hrs. 😊