Quareia

Magrataya

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anyone of you has any experiences with the Quareia online course by Josephine McCarthy? How far advanced are you? How is your pace? Do you see yourself working with the material for the foreseeable future? How would you describe your learning curve?

I would really love to hear from you! I only recently started the course and I'm still at the meditation and cleansing techniques. I read countless books on practical/ceremonial witchcraft but nothing really clicked except Quareia's non-dogmatic, very hands-on, and (for lack of a better word) "free spirited" approach. I'm still at the very beginning but read through the following chapters because I'm curious 🙂 and I could totally see myself doing the exercises and sticking to a regular practice of them. 

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I am working with the deck ( have the 2nd edition)  this week, and have read most of the book that comes with it. 

Which has led me to download the free ebook on their course. They have put a lot of thought into their product?course?outlook? which is always a good thing. And I like to have an open mind when introduced to thoughts beyond my own ken. Sort of a magic/alchemy/divination amalgam...

I came across the deck on Benebell Wen's blog to begin with. 

https://benebellwen.com/2015/12/17/lxxxi-quareia-the-magicians-deck/#more-5763

edited to add: the 1st edition issues she mentions have been addressed in the second, the cards are lovely, and the book includes a short bit at the end of each card related to how each might be seen in a spread. 

Edited by AJ-ish/Sharyn

Well, I was part of Quareia for some months. Stayed at the apprentice level and moved on to Runesoup where I'm now an active member. I loved Quareia, parts of what I learned in the course have stayed with me and I continue to incorporate them. I also really admire Joesphone, her dedication, her frankness, and her no bullcrap approach. She is one of my current magical heroes. The other being Alkistis of Scarlet Imprint. Josephine is rigorous in her approach, demanding dedication, discipline and consistency. Truly she teaches the keys to powerful work and craft. The most important element of Quareia in my opinion and what I found as I engaged with the work is consistency, putting in the work. If you do that, just put in the work, take the time, then you will grow and learn in leaps. There is a learning curve as the course is structured to start one brick at a time. Meaning you are starting bare bones, with the very foundation. So at first many things will seem repetitive or even unnecessary. But stick with it, follow the course, because there is a rhyme and reason for the structure. 

It is non-dogmatic, she is teaching the structure underneath many magical disciplines, sans the trappings. In my opinion it is enriching and if I had the time I would continue, but with my own regular life and personal studies, and Runesoup, my plate is already more than full. 

PS. Her Magician's Deck is priceless and I highly recommend it. It is truly an enspirited work and a work of art. 

@Magrataya and @40knows, did you get far enough in Quareia to access the community? I'm curious whether it is an active/friendly group.

@40knows is there a free area on the Runesoup forum? I would like to know little something about the community and courses before buying a membership, but I don't see how to do that. I got a log in and a pw, but there is nothing to see.

Thank you

I didn't get far enough to join the community but I know from members of the community in Quareia that it is very active. There's also mentorship progams available and there a lot of good interactions and learning going on.

Oh I forgot to answer your other question. Runesoup. Well, I've been a listener of the podcast for years before he opened the community and courses. He also has a newsletter that is excellent The All Red Line. His courses run along similar topics as his podcast interviews. Basically getting better at magic, enchantment, sweetening life, improving outlooks, and prospects and perspectives. As a member, I really have to sayvthat it is $10 well spent. The community is active, dynamic, open, and involved. His courses are run by community votes, so we vote what we want to learn and dive into. So far the courses have been Sigils, Journeying, Grimoire, Saints & Angels, Ancestors, Magical Geography, the PGM, and the current one is a hands on astrology tech one. I can guarantee you will learn and get better in many areas not just magic. There are active prayer and intention threads. The courses will give you a deep dive into history of topic, perspectives, and context. Lots of shifts and learning. What can I say? I think it is a great and caring community. You can start whichever course you want no order is necessary, and well, I've grown in leaps and bounds. There are several runesoup folks part of Quareia as well. I mean if you have the time, and space, it's doable.

Perhaps you could give his podcast a listen, maybe check some of his back log of episodes, those that interest you and get a feel for his philosophy and where he's coming from. And while doing so listen to some excellent guests. Off the top of my head memorable episodes: both Becca Tarnas interviews, both Ramsey Dukes, both Jose Leitao, he also interviewed Benebell Wen, Camelia Elias, and Robert Place. Jake Stratton Kent, His Josephine McCarthy (of Quareia) interview is real good. She was also interviewed by Glitch Bottle, a 3 hour interview! Very much worth it. Hm, he has lots of interesting interviews. Al Cummins, Mitch Horowitz, oh and he recently interviewed a lady (can't recall her name) about her ndr near death experience and the consequences of that. That interview was really good.

Check his interviews out first and give it a good think. And keep going with Quareia, there's great tech there.

Thank you so much @AJ-ish/Sharynand @40knowsfor pointing me towards the Quareia deck! It has found its way onto my wish list :-)

Yes, @AJ-ish/SharynI am also amazed at the high quality and how much thought and work must have gone into the entire project. And Josephine provides all the material for free - I am really grateful for that. 

@40knowsthanks for explaining about your experiences with Quareia. It confirms a lot of what I initially thought and hoped - that you are learning underlying principles which is quite important to me.

I initially heard about Josephine and Quareia on RuneSoup :-) I, too, have been listening to Gordon for a very long time before he started his courses (I really miss the first version of the intro song!) and I am debating with myself on a regular basis whether to join or not. My main reasons so far not to join was (lack of) time and my impression that the courses are too advanced for me. I really need some basic knowledge and tools to make sense of my so far unstructured studies and finally develop further. That's what I hope to generate from following the Quareia program. Although ... the astrology course does sound great ...

Thanks for recommending the Glitch Bottle interview with Josephine! I love long format podcasts/interviews! You mentioned Alkistis of Scarlet Imprint further up, have you seen this yet?

1 hour ago, Magrataya said:

Thank you so much @AJ-ish/Sharynand @40knowsfor pointing me towards the Quareia deck! It has found its way onto my wish list :-)

Oh the deck is incredible, the only oracle deck I own and would never replace. 

1 hour ago, Magrataya said:

Yes, @AJ-ish/SharynI am also amazed at the high quality and how much thought and work must have gone into the entire project. And Josephine provides all the material for free - I am really grateful for that. 

@40knowsthanks for explaining about your experiences with Quareia. It confirms a lot of what I initially thought and hoped - that you are learning underlying principles which is quite important to me.

I initially heard about Josephine and Quareia on RuneSoup :-) I, too, have been listening to Gordon for a very long time before he started his courses (I really miss the first version of the intro song!) and I am debating with myself on a regular basis whether to join or not. My main reasons so far not to join was (lack of) time and my impression that the courses are too advanced for me. I really need some basic knowledge and tools to make sense of my so far unstructured studies and finally develop further. That's what I hope to generate from following the Quareia program. Although ... the astrology course does sound great ...

Thanks for recommending the Glitch Bottle interview with Josephine! I love long format podcasts/interviews! You mentioned Alkistis of Scarlet Imprint further up, have you seen this yet?

I miss the middle to first intro song, the one that sounded kind of harry potter like. Hahaha, 😅 As far as how advanced runesoup is, well, I think as a whole GW manages to unpack so many western notions, beliefs, and philosophies, while also provided context and tools for each of us to begin building our own within our own framework, culture, life experience. This in all has been truly invaluable and what is truly unique. Through the courses you learn to approach the topics from an inquisitive stance instead of just learning how to do magic, you learn the context within history and culture and philosophy. With these courses there is always the contextual framework which he starts with, in what environment did this and this arise and the lines (historiographically and culturally and magically) that led to its ascent. But I have to say Quareia equips the practitioner thoroughly and your time is well invested in following through with the courses. So, keep at it, there is good fruit from that tree. Here's the link to the glitch bottle interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BHbxWRTwZ0.

Ay Alkistis, she's phenomenal. I did catch mention of this interview but have yet to listen to it. A million thank yous for the link because I had yet to go searching for it. 🤩

You're very welcome @40knows and thanks for linking to the Glitch Bottle interview! 🙂

You are great testimonial for RuneSoup! Now, I really consider joining ... but the sensible thing to do would be to stick with Quareia for the next time so I think I'll do that.

THANKS for this thread. I spent a lot of time the last couple of days learning about these outstanding resources. I don't need to pull cards to predict that this will have a great influence on my path!

2 hours ago, Magrataya said:

You're very welcome @40knows and thanks for linking to the Glitch Bottle interview! 🙂

You are great testimonial for RuneSoup! Now, I really consider joining ... but the sensible thing to do would be to stick with Quareia for the next time so I think I'll do that.

Definitely, stick with Quareia and see what roads this opens up for you. 

2 hours ago, Flaxen said:

Thanks for starting this thread @Magrataya. I’d never heard of this deck or the course before and it looks right up my street!

Oh the deck is something else. The Quareia course line is excellent as well, foundational. 

30 minutes ago, McFaire said:

THANKS for this thread. I spent a lot of time the last couple of days learning about these outstanding resources. I don't need to pull cards to predict that this will have a great influence on my path!

Oh, these are great resources. Quareia is excellent and renowned. And you could spent months learning and perusing through Runesoup's archive of posts and podcast interviews. All excellent.

@Flaxen and @McFaire I'm really happy to have pointed you towards something that is of use to you! 🙂 I'd love to hear how you are doing with Quareia should you decide to work with the material.

I absolutely agree with @40knows regarding the RuneSoup site and podcasts. I learned so much, I got pointed into so many useful directions and towards interesting people and ideas - it has really enhanced my life and opened up my mind. I also highly recommend Gordon's books "Chaos Protocols" and "Pieces of Eight" as well as "Space Ships". 

I'm now working with the first two lessons of the first module, and with the study guide. (All free by the way.)

Lesson 2 is called Tarot Basics, so it might be interesting to discuss here. I have been working on "my" keywords for about 25 years now! But it is still quite a challenge to distill all my lists, notes, and journals down to just one or two words per card, within the framework of the lesson.

48 minutes ago, McFaire said:

I'm now working with the first two lessons of the first module, and with the study guide. (All free by the way.)

Lesson 2 is called Tarot Basics, so it might be interesting to discuss here. I have been working on "my" keywords for about 25 years now! But it is still quite a challenge to distill all my lists, notes, and journals down to just one or two words per card, within the framework of the lesson.

Yes, it was that lesson that spurred me to get the traditional Rider Waite Smith. Before that I had used almost exclusively the TDM. I got the Centennial second-hand and fell in love! Now I have the Albano and The Centennial Rider Waite Smith. Both are beautiful, both I love dearly. Her suggested cleansing methods are definitely interested and would would definitely be replacing decks frequently a mass market works better to a pricier indie deck. 

Her suggested elemental spread is great as well. I still use it to this day to gauge how things are flowing in my home. The keyword idea is good, I think it's nice to have keywords but not to adhere to them so strongly. But it is definitely good. Maybe I should review the lessons again...

1 hour ago, 40knows said:

Her suggested elemental spread is great as well. I still use it to this day to gauge how things are flowing in my home. The keyword idea is good, I think it's nice to have keywords but not to adhere to them so strongly. But it is definitely good. Maybe I should review the lessons again...

Just had a look at that and it looks really useful. 

The course itself looks very comprehensive - definitely something to try when I have more time. 

6 hours ago, 40knows said:

The keyword idea is good, I think it's nice to have keywords but not to adhere to them so strongly. But it is definitely good. Maybe I should review the lessons again...

Yeah, that's the task in lesson 2, to choose your keywords within the framework of the lesson, which has a specific structure. Not that you would adhere to the keywords strictly, ongoing. It's just an introduction to how the tarot is used specifically in Quareia.

So it's a way of using tarot for a specific purpose, rather than a lesson in tarot, generally. Different than what I'm used to.

Just a little update to say I’m still working my way through the materials. It’s taken me a while to find a rhythm which fits in with my life - especially the daily meditation. It’s taken a few false starts! 

I’ve enjoyed using tarot in a different way - checking the energies in my home and environment has been illuminating.

I'm thrilled to discover a Quareia thread on my favorite forum 😍

I began my Quareia journey on 01/01/20, my deck* arrived on Thursday and I've arrived at M1L4. So far I've been working with the free PDF files, but I'm considering getting the hardcopy books – for me, studying works best with annotations and a myriad of post-its. 😊

Have any of you completed the 1st ritual lesson (M1L4)? I've never done any sort of ritual and the thought still feels a bit weird 🤨 but I'm also curious. I will read the lesson PDF again later today.

* oh my... such a STUNNING deck! The artwork is in all honesty the most beautiful I have seen in any deck. When I first took them out of the box, I wanted to frame them all and put them on the wall! Every single one of the cards is so rich in detail, and the starry skies are just gorgeous. I'm not big on borders normally, but I like how the border colors correspond with the realms the cards sit in.
I am already considering a backup copy, because the cardstock isn't the greatest - the edges look a bit worn already after very carerful shuffling. I want to have this with me forever.

Yes, I’ve done the ritual - it’s not a one-off but an ongoing process. I’ve found it straightforward to follow but still need my notes for the wording. 

I’ve been taking it quite slowly as I want to make sure the foundation is secure. Doesn’t seem to be a course you can rush through. 

It’s well worth reading through the study guide if you haven’t already. Lots of useful information in it regarding how best to approach it. 

Good to see someone else on the path. :classic_smile:

On 1/11/2020 at 8:07 AM, Flaxen said:

Doesn’t seem to be a course you can rush through. 

It’s well worth reading through the study guide if you haven’t already.

I feel like I need to stick that sentence to my mirror... the curiosity is hard to curb for me. I have read the study guide, so technically I know that I must take it slowly, but my patience is really lacking. 😫 I want to know everythingggg. I'm self employed and business is slow at this time of the year, so I've had some more free time than usual... so after adapting my usual meditation and tarot practice to Quareia teaching, I added in the vision exercise a couple of days ago. Maybe that's too quick 🤔

@Flaxen if you don't mind the question  - I know our teacher insists on using the RWS for tarot readings. So… Are you still using your other decks…? I'm quite unsure, as I have a couple of favorite decks that have worked well for me in the past – is she suggesting to get rid of those? 😕