Delta

Any Yogis & Yoginis?

Posted (edited)

Curious to hear if anyone else here is on a yoga journey and how you feel since you started. How did you come to it? When did you start? Do you only practice asanas or all yoga? What changes do you notice, physically and mentally? 🙂

Edited by Delta

Hi Delta. Nice to meet you! I am currently obsessed with yoga! I had practiced briefly a while back, gave it up, and then a few months ago I started again. I'm going to Iyengar classes. I'm pretty old, so I'm currently taking only gentle classes, but I hope to progress to regular ones soon. 

I'm only really doing the asanas, but I have read some books about the other aspects. It's very early in my learning, but I have noticed that I'm more flexible, my posture is better and some of my aches and pains are alleviated. Mentally, I think I'm a little more balanced, but, as noted, it's early days.

I do some very basic yoga asanas plus I study the 8 limbs of yoga (mainly using the Land & Sky oracle). I find that this helps me to ground and better integrate my spirituality in all aspects of life. 

Hi Delta. I have practiced yoga (Iyengar) for nearly twenty years (wow! it is that long). I was looking for an excersise class and remembered that I'd enjoyed yoga in high school so found a class. I didn't know one form of yoga from another, just answered a newspaper ad. As we know from tarot and all we learn here at T,T &M, the universe was listening and I went to the perfect class for me. Happy to say that same teacher is now a wonderful friend and my yoga journey through that time has been everything from once a week asana classes to three or four times a week at different places, to long breaks and gaps.

I practice mostly asana and pranayama but I am versed on the eight limbs and Mr Iyengar's philosophy and embrace it. 

Over the years I've noticed how well my body has strengthened. I can hike mountains, scramble over rocks, and lift heavey things - all things I struggled to do back in my 30's (I'm now 54). 

At the moment I am having a break from classes or structured practice, but my body knows what to do. Doesn't matter how long since I was on the mat, I just seem to fall into the asana. And I take that with me, at work you'll find me stretching in the elevator when no one is around, or sitting in a pose that I know will be more beneficial that just sitting. More importantly though, I can bring the awareness to an ache or pain and use my yoga knowledge (or look it up) to find a pose or stretch to eliminate it. That has to be yoga greatest gift to me - being aware of my body and my breath. 

Are you just starting yoga or have you practiced for a while? I always see the RWS Hanged Man as my cue to stop and get on the mat for a while if I have that card come up for me. 

Araballa

Hi, I'm practicing yoga as well - tried different styles over the years - (started about 10 years ago), but still not settled on a particular practice. I just pick up up some class when I want to practice and looking for "the one and only" teacher, I guess 🙂 I practice asana, pranayama and meditation. Yama and Niyama are important to me as well. This post is a great reminder, by the way, to go back to structured practice!

On 6/4/2019 at 6:08 PM, Delta said:

Curious to hear if anyone else here is on a yoga journey and how you feel since you started. How did you come to it? When did you start? Do you only practice asanas or all yoga? What changes do you notice, physically and mentally? 🙂

Yoga as you may know is not just asana, pranayama and dhyana... it is a lifestyle which leads to the ultimate goal of human life, nirvana (according to sanatana dharam, now known as hinduism... which is not a religion, it is actually a lifetyle)... 

As a person who is on the journey to align their soul, mind, body and actions these tools called asanas, pranayam and dhyana help them integrate all these aspects of the self to live that aligned life. 

I can't call myself a yogini, as i think i am not that experienced or learned. But i try to incorporate a few aspects of that lifestyle (whatever i can understand to whichever extent).  It is not a smooth path, it has its own ups and downs... the deeper we dig into ourselves, the more we try to know ourselves in a sincere and honest way... journey gets harder before everything starts making sense. Before we can feel true bliss, we have to pass through some rough tests. It may mean shedding our old belief systems, being very open minded, letting go of people/places and situations which do not serve our highest good and etc.. however, if we keep at it, everything starts making sense... then trusting the process becomes much easier and it just flows... even though we may go through rough patches, we just know universe has our best interest in mind... once we "know" that, everything starts getting easier...

Sorry if this was a really boring rant and slightly discouraging, but this is how yoga is actually meant to be. Yoga can be simply choosing happiness in any given circumstance and just mastering it... it is not essentially asana, dhyana or pranayama... they are just tools, but extraordinary ones. 

I have been practicing yoga for almost 30 years--WOW. I started in a studio in NYC called Jivamukti right when it opened and fell in love. I moved into an astanga practice in my 30's and now in my late 40's I mostly practice at home, either on my own of following an online class. Depends on my mood. I have been to India and would love to return. 

It is something that I hold very dear to my heart. It has informed my growth as a healer, a parent and has also helped me to appreciate my body more. I grew up a competitive athlete, and initially I found yoga very, very hard. Not just physically, but the entire nature of it. i needed to learn to slow down and get in touch with my body for its own sake, rather than "what can i make my body do for me to win?" It was a very different orientation than the one I grew up with. 

In turn, yoga has helped me become a better healthcare practitioner. I appreciate all of my patients' struggles with their bodies, and how they related to movement (aka exercise). I often recommend yoga to my patients, although I now avoid for the most part recognizing astanga as it led to some injuries which will never heal.