Saturn Celeste

Cord Cutting or Leaving Cable

Yup, I'm a cord cutter!  Yesterday we cancelled our cable TV.  We purchased a Roku from Amazon.  We then purchased the Hulu Live TV and an educational package.  It's going to save us over $30!!  And the programming is great!

cable has never been available here. In the early days we got one of those giant satellite dishes which was kind of fun because you never knew what you were going to get. Then the newly arising cable companies and the big 4 nationals got in a pissing contest and of course the result was costs went up and variety and quality went down. So we cut it off and tore down the eyesore 

then the little dishes came into popularity and we tried it again and found ourselves spending more time running the remote in a circle than actual watching time. So we dumped that too about 12 years ago and have been TVless. All to the good. 

Our internet reception (via ATT phones) is spotty, we might get decent load times for a day or so then be off line every 10 minutes or so, far too erratic to even bother with streaming. Even youtube has to be something I'm willing to invest buffering time in to sit and watch. Mostly I don't have the patience. 

I think it all has been very good for us 🙂  I limit my online time to 2 hours a day total, and fill my days with more productive things. 

I know I'm an oddball. But 'free'!

5 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

I know I'm an oddball. But 'free'!

I have a dear friend who does not have cable.  She does watch movies on a dvr player though.  I am really enjoying the hulu live!

It's been 25 years since I've had a TV of any sort (although dvds are definitely a good way to relax when necessary). It's amazing how much more time one has without a TV... which I now waste on the internet instead! :icon_rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

It's amazing how much more time one has without a TV... which I now waste on the internet instead! :icon_rolleyes:

Right now the TV is on AND I'm on the internet!

(But to be fair to myself, the TV is playing bluegrass gospel music on Pandora, and being here at TT&M is a really good use of my time!)

1 minute ago, Grandma said:

TV is playing bluegrass gospel music on Pandora

We have the YouTube channel on Roku and I went to sleep listening to one of my binaural beats songs from my playlist!  It was awesome!

I haven't gotten cable yet and I'm not sure I will. Just recently I bought my house and haven't gotten anything installed yet. Really waiting to pay off some bills first before I get into yet another regular payment like that.

What to do what to do. Should I get internet and then something like TiVO, HULU, Netflix? Open to suggestions....

Just now, fire cat pickles said:

I haven't gotten cable yet and I'm not sure I will. Just recently I bought my house and haven't gotten anything installed yet. Really waiting to pay off some bills first before I get into yet another regular payment like that.

What to do what to do. Should I get internet and then something like TiVO, HULU, Netflix? Open to suggestions....

That's what I'm running now.  I have a 400 internet speed and don't want to lose that and my phone number is bundled with my internet.  I pay $101 now for the 2.  My entire bill was $167 plus hulu no ads.  Now I pay $159, way cheaper than my old cable bill.  If you're not into a higher speed internet, there are some awesome bundles out there!  My $167 will expire in November and go to $198.  The savings will then be significant!

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Grandma said:

Right now the TV is on AND I'm on the internet!

(But to be fair to myself, the TV is playing bluegrass gospel music on Pandora, and being here at TT&M is a really good use of my time!)

Aye, that's what I tell myself as well. 😊

Edited by Wanderer

14 minutes ago, fire cat pickles said:

HULU, Netflix

Hulu has better quality.  Netfix has a high and low resolution and the low one is intolerable.  But the high one is not as good as Hulu.  I might drop down to Hulu live with ads instead of without but am undecided on that.  I tried for 2 days to not have any msnbc but I couldn't do it.  Hulu live has msnbc.  That was the biggest reason I changed plus I already use them for tv series binge watching.  Direct TV Now also have a live tv package and for $50, if you get it now, you'll get hbo for free.  I'm going to add hbo on at some point but i think a lot of these channels have specials.

10 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Aye, that's what I tell myself as well. 😊

As usual, Wanderer, you and I are on the same wavelength, or I guess in the 21st century I should say the same bandwidth...

I haven't had cable in years. Where I live right now I could get cable but I'd rather spend the money on other things, since I have so little to spend. The place I live in has both cable and satellite service, but their internet speed or whatever it's called has MB after it. No G type speed. I use a phone hotspot and just watch dvd's if I want to watch something. I found though, that I like not having to put up with a buzzillion ads like there always are on cable. I'd rather watch something without all the interruptions. It's bad enough to be bombarded with ads all over the internet at every turn. 

On 6/8/2019 at 6:09 PM, Grizabella said:

It's bad enough to be bombarded with ads all over the internet at every turn. 

If you're on a computer, get an ad blocker!  I can't live without mine!

I gotta say, the Roku is the way!!  All weekend my son and I enjoyed watching E3 on YouTube on the TV in the living room and my bedroom.  I have not missed cable at all!!  I know the Disney channel will be coming out in November of this month and I think there may be something between Hulu and Disney.  The Disney channel will be streamed through Roku and PS4 as of now.  Disney will also be removing most of it's content from Netflix.  This was a huge reason we opted to not pay for Netflix any longer.  I can't wait!  Roku is the way to do this!  We have a Roku on each tv set and next month we'll get the 4k Roku and put it out in the living room because that is a 4k tv.  My son will get the Roku we have in the living room once we get the last adapter.  Here I had been paying for all the premium channels and received a goodly amount but NOW, I have so many channels I don't know where to begin sometimes!  But that's where the streaming live tv comes in.  I have the best of both worlds and it will get even better in November when the Disney channel (yes Marvel movies!) goes online!