If You Were Able To Travel In Time, On a Tarot Related Quest, What Era Would You Visit And What Would Be The Nature of Your Quest?

Little Fang

Little Fang

If You Were Able To Travel In Time, On a Tarot Related Quest, What Era Would You Visit And What Would Be The Nature of Your Quest?

stephanelli

I would love to travel back to the times when old fashioned Gypsy travelers went about Britain in their lovely carts.  Among them, there would be the fortune teller and I would love to study with her - the cards, palmistry, anything she wished to teach me.  Possibly a fantasy, but I think it's an awesome idea nevertheless!

(On a non-tarot related quest I'd love to travel back to the beginning of the earth to find out just how it all started, and as I traveled home again I'd stop off at significant points of time in the evolution of the earth, animals and humanity!)

Ooh, this is such an intimidating question because I feel like I lack the historical knowledge to give a really good and proper answer. But I will put those insecurities aside and just have fun with it. So, yes. I would travel back in time to the wonderful but short era when Pamela Colman Smith (along with several of my other tarot heroes) was a member of the Golden Dawn. And I would try to be approved as a member and get to know all these iconic people first hand. I would have loved to participate in their rituals and to learn from their methods. And I would have wanted to purchase one of those very first RWS decks that was ever published, to use alongside the one I would have made myself (according to GD traditions). And I would have wanted to try and find out if and how Pamela ever used that deck herself ☺️

I would travel back to the day the FIRST tarot was used for divination.

Then I would know FOR SURE when that was and everyone else could shut up about it !

(After that I'd go and visit the Viscontis way back when and see the originals of all those missing cards. Shallow of me - but there you go !)

LoveLightPeace

I would love to travel back in time to see where it all started, like Gregory. But, I would also love to travel to the future to see the progression of tarot, the tarot community, and how widely tarot is accepted in the future.

8 hours ago, gregory said:

I would travel back to the day the FIRST tarot was used for divination.

Then I would know FOR SURE when that was and everyone else could shut up about it !

(After that I'd go and visit the Viscontis way back when and see the originals of all those missing cards. Shallow of me - but there you go !)

Such a good one! And do try to bring your phone so you can document it properly! (But wait, what if it was you who did travel back in time and took those cards and that’s why they are missing! Mind baffling. Quickly now, I better put my tin foil hat back on before I get overwhelmed by these possibilities!)

tin foil film GIF

Rabbithorns

I would love to travel back to Victorian times and meet with Ada (Byron) Lovelace and Oscar Wilde and the entire Arts & Crafts and Green Fairy crowd. Just the whole creative movement that inspired so much steampunk sci fi. I would actually love to see how much tarot and spiritualism played a role in the creativity and the science of the great thinkers. I think it would be lovely to be part of that crowd and all the open-minded thinking. Maybe then I would come back and write the most tantalizing of steampunk sci fi novels based on my experiences. But there would be a whole series in which tarot played a very central role.

This is a hard question! XD 😄 But I would certainly love to travel on the time where the tarot was first made and meet the artist and know about how they came to the idea of its' imagery and symbolism! ❤️ 

2 hours ago, Ruby Jewel said:

Yes, it would be so interesting to have met and talked to Arthur Waite and Pamela Smith. They must have been fascinating people....and also the era of the Golden Dawn group would have been tremendously enlightening for tarot lovers. I recently read "Women of the Golden Dawn" by Mary Greer and it was a great description of those times. I might recommend that as a good read if you would like to travel back to that era.

Thank you. I have that book 🙂 

I'd want to travel back to meet one of the original painters of a Visconti deck. Now, I have no idea how I'd disguise myself, manage the obvious linguistic challenges, and assure myself passage back to the current date...and my currently-coffee-fueled brain is spinning out on the details! But yeah, anyway...I want to witness the birth of a Visconti.

4 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

I'd want to travel back to meet one of the original painters of a Visconti deck. Now, I have no idea how I'd disguise myself, manage the obvious linguistic challenges, and assure myself passage back to the current date...and my currently-coffee-fueled brain is spinning out on the details! But yeah, anyway...I want to witness the birth of a Visconti.

Excellent! You will call me afterwards and give me all the details, right? We can discuss them over a cup of coffee ☺️

6 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Excellent! You will call me afterwards and give me all the details, right? We can discuss them over a cup of coffee ☺️

But of course! I make excellent coffee, too...I'm a bit of a Chemex snob :).

5 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

But of course! I make excellent coffee, too...I'm a bit of a Chemex snob :).

Excellent, it’s a date! 😀

I would love to travel back to Mallorca, Spain in 1984 and see what I did with the tarot deck that I believe I bought in the belief that it was a regular deck of playing cards. This was, I think, actually my first Tarot deck, but I didn't know what it was at that time, and I probably just threw it away. This irritates me boundlessly today.

Perhaps by time travel, I could influence myself to keep the deck. And if I was too stubborn at that time to listen to reason, I could at least enjoy the sun and the hot weather now and listen to music by Wham and Nick Kershaw :egyptian:

2 hours ago, Annabelle said:

2 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Don't forget - I'll be there too after my first trip back !

17 minutes ago, gregory said:

Don't forget - I'll be there too after my first trip back !

Oh yes, we’ll have a cup waiting for you. Do try to remember where you misplaced those mysterious cards as well, and bring them along! Then I can hand out the extra copies of the Pam A decks that I plan on stocking up on. You want one each, right? Plus four backups, per person, of course! And I’ll see if Pamela wants to sign them for us ☺️

Since you are all tracking down the origins of tarot, I’d like to meet Mme. Lenormand and see her actual deck. Maybe even get a reading off her. 😍

1 minute ago, Czenzi said:

Since you are all tracking down the origins of tarot, I’d like to meet Mme. Lenormand and see her actual deck. Maybe even get a reading off her. 😍

VERY good! Then you’ll also be invited to our party afterwards 😛. Be sure to note how she does her readings and what type of deck she really used. We want to hear all the details! 😉

7 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

VERY good! Then you’ll also be invited to our party afterwards 😛. Be sure to note how she does her readings and what type of deck she really used. We want to hear all the details! 😉

I’ll take good notes. 😀

Saturn Celeste

I want to be aboard the very first ship that brought a deck from Egypt to Europe.  I want to play the card game with the sailors. :icon_farao:

Barleywine

I would visit late-19th-Century England during the time of the Occult Revival, with the purpose of infiltrating the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn (pre-Crowley) to see if it was all it's cracked up to be. But if I couldn't take a shower and had to drink tea instead of coffee, I doubt I would want to stay long.

hm, need to think but probably tea party with Lady Frieda Harris & PC Smith to interview them were there any extra cards they were commissioned to paint & how it differs from *official decks we know & love?;)

Like @gregory, I would like to go back Renaissance Italy to see the creation of the oldest known tarots. But I think I would go to Padua, circa 1490, to see the workshop where the Sola Busca deck was created.

I probably wouldn't run into gregory though because she would need to go back about 35 years earlier, probably to Milano?

I think I’d like to see how some of the alternative older decks evolved - Vandenborre Bacchus, Viéville, Rosenwald. How did the makers decide on the images? The woman spinning under a cabbage moon is one of my favourites. 

06791190-40FA-4A49-9056-B1B5559C311B.jpeg

3 hours ago, McFaire said:

Like @gregory, I would like to go back Renaissance Italy to see the creation of the oldest known tarots. But I think I would go to Padua, circa 1490, to see the workshop where the Sola Busca deck was created.

I probably wouldn't run into gregory though because she would need to go back about 35 years earlier, probably to Milano?

Well, Milano for my SECOND trip. But the first - I don't know. That's the POINT. Not only the Very First Tarot (including probably ones we know nothing about !), but also I want to be there for the Very First Time it was used for divination. That could be 19th century - or it could be 12th century, and we had no idea. We actually have no concrete proof. That's what I want to get !