ilweran

How To Get Rid of Decks (Aka Downsize Collection)

For a while I've had a feeling that I need to downsize my belongings. I'm fed up of living in a overfull, cluttered, messy house and would like generally to reduce the amount of stuff that I own.

Not done too badly so far I think, over the last 18 months I'd say I've got rid of six black bags of clothes, and probably another six of random junk, all happily off to the charity shop.

Still loads to do though, and two areas are problematic. Books and tarot decks. In my head it's easy. I can get rid of this book, that deck. Then I look at them, pick them up..... and back on the shelf they go. Books are sort of stable as I mostly buy ebooks these days so at least the physical space they're taking up isn't expanding.

But tarot decks. What do I do? I decide I'm getting rid of the Motherpeace but then read part of Adam McLeans tarot course on round decks and ooh, the historic interest. Back on the shelf. I'm considering two out for every one in, but my husband (who has a similar problem with Warhammer figures) has pointed out how hard that is in practice. I could be flexible about it though, I suppose 😂 

Does anyone else get the sudden urge to be more minimalist? (realistically I'll never be minimalist, but there must be a middle ground, right?). Any tips? Or should I just give up now?

I'm asking in completely the wrong place, but there you go...

I didn't get a sudden urge, I found FlyLady in 2000. 15 minutes a day, one room a week. Took 9 months to go through my home and I've done it twice since. I have most assuredly downsized by half in all areas. 

When I started on my books I counted one shelf and multiplied it by  shelves plus 50 for the ones that were stacked around the house. Figured one book a week, how many weeks would it take to read them all? It figured out to 17 years, dedicated to books I'd already read. No new ones. Yikes! So I slowly started offloading them on Ebay and Amazon marketplace account. Got rid of about 1/2. Then 4 years ago I was diagnosed with an eye disease, which has made print books harder and harder to read to at this point it is pointless to try. So this spring I had a big clear out again, sold, gifted, donated to the library sale. All gone now. Heart rending. but I lived. 

Decks? I had about 100 and then realized I was in the same room as counting books. Many decks unused just 'flicked through' as we say. So I started using a deck a week, rotating through them all..2+ years that first time. That process showed me what was worth keeping...so pretty much each year I inventory and have a sale. That keeps me down around 60-70, all loved favorites, and room to buy a few each year. 

I could go on for days how cleaning out changed my internal life, but if you do it you'll get it. And I'm on week 623 of my Deck of the Week life 😉 

Will posted this inspired me to go through my decks again and that's another bag full to go. Just have to actually get round to selling the damn things now!

And I can definitely get the zillich and white sage when I get paid as it must have been 10 or 12 on the to go pile. 10 out, two in is very acceptable!

I had a box set of tarot books in French. I mean why? Where did they come from? I can't speak French! This is exactly why I need a clear out.

I’m in the same space @ilweran. Really drawn to a more minimalist life but tarot and books are hard to clear!

Part of my personality is a love of history and so I have many decks I love for their historical interest but don’t read much with. My books are mostly history/folklore/tarot reference with some favourite fiction which I do re-read. 

With a small child in the house too, the flow of stuff feels endless! No real advice but just to share you are not alone...

@Flaxen I think the small child may have something to do with it actually. Much as I adore him his toys add so much to the clutter and also contribute an interesting element of chaos.

My decks and books are all (well mostly all) on shelves. Can't say the same for his Lego! I've also never had to search through the vacuum cleaner or the washing machine filter for anything of mine 😅

@ilweran If you ever feel you need it, I can say the de-enable thread works very well to keeping away those cards buying impulses when they occur. Also, earlier this year I had very good and surprising luck selling cards on eBay. 

Posted (edited)

I can kind of relate - just not quite with the clutter or messy house. But then I am only one. However, if I were to pull things out to look for something, another story.

I actually bought some huge shelving units for the purpose of shelving what I collect - not cards alas! Those are mostly boxed away and some are shelved elsewhere not on the units themselves.

As for those units - already gone!. No space.

And I actually need more space as more to come. Am starting to run out of room unless I use the balcony which is massive.

As for downsizing I am considering getting rid of other things - even clothes. I want some friends to come over as I have a hard time parting with anything. My mother would be brilliant as she throws out everything. Minimalist to a fault.

@AJ-ish/Sharyn am going to look up what you did regarding 15 mins a day per room - that sounds interesting and more me when I get lazy with house cleaning and especially now that it is Winter. I like to mop the floor once or twice a week, but during the last few Winters this is not quite happening.

I would prefer to downsize other things so as to create more storage space. That and putting a stop to my addictions. 🍰🌟⛅🍰🍊 

DND 💓

Edited by DownUnderNZer
Singular to Plural

I'm pretty minimalist, and I also love books and tarot. For books, I only keep ones I will definitely read again, so books that really spoke to me or were really compelling. I'm lucky I live near so many used bookstores that will buy used books!

For tarot, I've come to realize that my magic number is around 20. My focus is on utility and usage rather than just beauty and worth. I have a deck tracker that I faithfully complete at least once a week to track which decks I've used (see photos). Each shaded box represents one day used. If I use a deck more than once in one day, it still gets one shaded box. I then reevaluate where I am at the end of each month -- which decks did I not use at all or use very little? why? I notice that when I personally have more than 20 decks, realistically there are just some decks I never use anymore and am just not called to use anymore. I give those decks a few more weeks to speak to me. I do not force myself to use them. If I feel called to use them, I will, but most of the time, I still don't use them. That's when I put them up for trade, sale, or giveaway. I have not once regretted any of the decks I have let go. 

With new decks that I want to buy, to ensure they are not just impulse or FOMO purchases, I force myself to wait one full week. If I am still drawn to the deck after a week, I will purchase it. Very often though, I do not feel the urge after waiting a week.

20190704_133536.jpg

20190704_133516.jpg

@queenofwans wow, now that is organised. I don't think I could be that disciplined. But I do have the thought that if I had less decks the ones I still had would be more accessible.

Anyway, both my 2nd edition 'pewter' Bohemian Gothics are now on the to go pile, along with a 2nd edition Victorian Romantic. The change to the Queen of Swords in the BG is a just a deal breaker for me and I've finally accepted it, and I just don't like the VR enough to have so many of them. Which makes it sound like I have lots, which I don't - well four which is probably 2 too many, but taking things slowly!

I'm in the same process of simplifying, reducing, organizing, cleaning. I've given away a lot of clothes and shoes, and have had some success with giving away books. But in the metaphysical section I only gave away the ones I didn't like! I try to use my kindle as much as possible for fiction.

Getting rid of decks hasn't happened yet. I did go through all of them and set aside a dozen or so I could let go of. But somehow they made their way back into the general collection and are no longer set aside. How'd that happen?

I should probably start letting go of a deck for every new deck I buy. That's a good idea. I find it much easier to let go of a pair of shoes, item of clothing, book, for each new one I buy. It's much easier to find a book I can release than a deck. But then, there are many more books than decks here.

I have several new decks coming in July. So, hmm, I should get rid of several old ones this month. Erm, but which ones? Come to think of it, I really NEED most of these decks. Wait... this is going in the wrong direction!

I did the whole Konmari method on my entire flat last summer, and easily halved the amount of books I owned. I strive to be more minimalist because it makes me happier to have less stuff after all those years living basically in a flat where I stored old things I didn't like or use! I think I got rid of somewhere between 50 and 75 percent of what I owned. My flat is far from barren so you know it was pretty bad. 

Books went better than I thought. Only kept things I really loved or would re-read, and I mostly use my kindle for buying new books. Still have 15 physical books in my tbr-pile though, might look over it again. Decks though, that's a different story. I think at the most I had about 40 decks and I haven't been able to part with as many as I'd hoped. 10 decks or a little bit more are gone. I think somewhere between 10 and 20 decks would be ideal for me as I don't read that much anymore, but there is the glaring issue that I am an art nerd and a tarot deck is like a tiny gallery of paintings!

I do notice that I think about certain decks more than others and feel ready to pass on others. I won't get around to using or learning every deck I own so for the decks I have donated so far I have focused on that. I am a big fan of the RWS system so most decks that fall to far away from that I let go of. If you have a similar hang-up that's a good place to start! We have limits as humans for how many books we can read in a lifetime or how many decks we realistically can get around to using. I think my personal limit is on the smaller side, so if you end up with 50 decks and that is a small but reasonable amount for you I say go for it! 

Posted (edited)

Ah, to get down to just 50! Still another 6 went on the to go pile last night. I started checking out ebay sold prices and if my reaction was to clutch the deck tightly to me I put it back, but if I was more "give me the money!" it went on the to go pile (started when I googled a random French oracle I own, wondering why I had it, found it was being sold for €100. "Bye bye" I said!) Helped focus the mind, I found, after the initial sorting through which plucked out the easy decisions.

There's only about two that I might rescue, the rest are kind of gone already in my head. I might have to scan a handful of cards as well, really can't keep a whole deck for the sake of one card I love!

Books are a different problem. I won't get rid of anything Tolkien related,  or anything by Le Guin, J G Ballad, Gaiman or any poetry books and that's over a bookcase that can't be touched. Add in the referencey sort of books that aren't meant to be read cover to cover, and the science and history stuff that you read once then keep for reference and that's over a bookcase as well that I wouldn't want to prune back.

I got rid of hundreds of books when we moved, black bags full that went to the charity shop, but there are still well over 1,000, maybe over 2,000 plus there are still 100s of my books at my parents house.

Edited by ilweran

16 minutes ago, ilweran said:

Books are a different problem. I won't get rid of anything Tolkien related,  or anything by Le Guin, J G Ballad, Gaiman or any poetry books and that's over a bookcase that can't be touched. Add in the referencey sort of books that aren't meant to be read cover to cover, and the science and history stuff that you read once then keep for reference and that's over a bookcase as well that I wouldn't want to prune back.

Totally with you there! I have a feeling I’d like perusing your bookcase. :classic_smile:

The trouble for me is that my interest in tarot came just as I was learning how important it can be to not collect big things. When it's time to move, there's too much to deal with, so the smaller size of tarot decks seems reasonable. Except that now I have too many tarot decks AND books. Gotta purge, but where to start? argh.

I store mine where I can't see them all, all the time, so some are really unfamiliar now. I need a better system of organization and use, so I can go through them and figure out which to keep.

Posted (edited)

Sounds like you're making progress @ilweran! Every small step counts. 50 was some random number that sounded like a lot to me, but I know we have members with several hundred decks if I remember correctly, who are happy with it. It all depends of the person and how much space they have. Leave that shelf with your precious favs alone and move your efforts elsewhere. I have 3 copies of The Hobbit, so I get it 😉 I also kept many reference books because I find it much easier to reference in a book than search online for certain things. I donated most of my stuff because it stresses me out to sell things, but none of it was all that precious or valuable. If you can make some money from downsizing that sounds like a good plan. I like your alternative take on sparking joy with the prices on ebay! 

Edited by Page of Ghosts

It goes both ways doesn't it, I found out a while back that the Kazanlar is OOP and worth a bit and my reaction was "but I like it too much to sell". Keeping that deck brings me more joy than selling it.

L'Oracle Parfum de Vie on the other hand will bring me more joy by being exchanged for money!

It's two things I think.  Having a child has changed my priorities a bit and brought more stuff into the house (so much stuff!  Just the small scale stuff is so much, He made about 60 paper aeroplanes today. They're everywhere! And I love it, but something has to give and it will be the walls of the house if I don't do something). And I've narrowed my interest down to Celtic and Nature. There's plenty that don't fit either theme that I'll keep for various reasons, but there's a lot that were just bought to have in the collection (L'Oracle Parfum de Vie presumably), or because I liked one card (looking at you Victoria Regina).

@ilweran I think that's a great strategy you've got going on there: thinking about whether a deck brings you more joy having it versus selling it! 🙂

I’m in the KonMari process, but sort of slowly...

I like that detail of KonMaris method where she holds the item and thanks it for something before giving it away. It could be Thanks for showing me that I don’t like yellow socks, or Thanks pocket book, for that summer on the beach. It’s easier to let go for me, with that method. 

Theoretically, it could also become easier if I make lists of books I let go off; after I checked their availability on the library and/or in the bookstore. 

If I don’t really like an item that much, AND it’s available if I should change my mind, then that helps somewhat.

But I’m one of those too... take them out, look at them, back on the bookshelf they go.

With tarot decks, I’m not that bothered. At present date, I have under a hundred of them to store, and I like the way they look and could have plenty more. 🙂 

Yeah, I let go of a bunch of old classics that will forever be available to buy or borrow from the library. Considering how easily available something would be just in case helped with the things I wasn't all that sure of what I wanted to do with. And I thanked each and every item I let go of. It's nice for closure and some gratitude. Decluttered my art supplies again today after a year and thanked them all for their various lessons and the good times we had. 

@ilweran From the konmari method I also really liked how you after a while would be able to identify what truly sparks joy and what's just meh or makes you feel guilty for not using it. Picking out your favourites are really helpful for comparing the feel you get from them vs all the other things, so you could do that for your tarot decks and see if that helps you out! 

Posted (edited)

One thing that also helped me some years back, when I was doing a thorough cleanse, was to think of the item as not being gone. I gave them to a charity shop, and I imagined all the good it would generate on the travels to someone elses hands, and how happy that person might become for that item, that it might get more love with that person than with me. And how we’re all in this Earth sphere, and so is the item, somewhere.

That said, doing such a thorough cleanse, there are a very few items I regret letting go off. It was a few books that were unique and in reality I loved; I was just in this mood of tossing everything out and when that mood cleared, those books were gone. And I have a dear friend whom went even deeper into that process, and with all of it except for one item she is really glad she did. But it was an item from childhood that she had outgrown, and even I start to cry if I think about it too much.

So, better safe than sorry; this time I’m keeping the things I TRULY love, and when the rest of it is gone, maybe make special places for them, or highlight them, somehow?

I also think it’s useful to get to the bottom of what the hang-up is, and arrive at a policy with each of those hang-ups. In other words, the WHY’s of it all:

WHY do I have five copies of an item? 

Answer: Because if I lose the other four umbrellas, I still won’t get wet when I go outside if it happens to rain...

NAH! NEXT!!

Answer: Because I like to match those umbrellas to my coats, and I actually do, I use them on a regular basis...

AH, OK. KEEP?

... Basically, it might be that I keep certain items out of a survivalist instinct, and that could also be true for food items that are kept but not eaten. Other items are kept for the ”Someday...”

Some day, I’m gonna like this item, because on that day, pink elephants are going to fly in the sky...

Also, if it were true, how often have I actually brought them out, and how many years has it been?

But again, I’m not letting go of anything this time around, if it brings me a certain joy in the heart, and is irreplaceable too, or all that.

But, cleansing can be a way of honouring what I do love, and what I do keep...

I should definitely get going more with this whole KonMari thing.

I’ll follow this thread! 

Edited by Nordica De Spell

2 minutes ago, Nordica De Spell said:

You posted while I wrote... and much the same things here, I see! Oops! 💚

A good thing can't be said often enough, so no worries 🙂

Because selling can be stressful I donated most of my stuff to the free store at the recycling plant. I hope someone found my bag of 100 alcohol artist markers and it made their day! Same with the few decks I manged to part with. A few things I sometimes regret letting go of, but I still have the memories and overall I'm happy I no longer have to just store them, since they weren't being used or loved. In a book on minimalism I read it was suggested to take pictures of the things you let go of, and I think that's also something that could be helpful with trickier items, those that doesn't bring up a strong feeling of joy or gtfo. A picture is a nice keepsake and can trigger the memories. 

Getting to the bottom of the over-cumulation is important if you get a feeling there is an underlying issue. Anger at all the mess and a general feeling of being stuck/too rooted was what fuelled it for me, but the reasons behind my accumulation had a lot of it had to do with sadness and a sense of loss. For the books, I couldn't concentrate well enough to read for almost a decade after being a dedicated book nerd as a child. So I would still buy books, dreaming of the day I would be reading again. It was in a way very considerate of past-me to think of future-me in this way, but when the time finally came I had other books I wanted to read that were more relevant to present-me and my interests. The full book shelf of unread books was too overwhelming, but I kept a single shelf for books I still wanted to read and I've made some progress in the last year, even if I love my kindle and prefer to read books on there now.

I also struggled with sadness after I let go of so many things, understanding that all the mess had served as emotional padding. It eventually got better as I got more used to my new surroundings, but it was a bit strange. I've written a bit before about this in the forum but it's been almost a year since I was last active, so it's nice to see it's not just me trying to make sense of this decluttering business and finding a balance with it all. 

I’m on my own downsizing journey and has let go of approximately 70% of my belongings in the past 1,5 year. My goal is not to own as little as possible but to make my life easier and to place focus and time on what matters most to me. So while I have decluttered lots of stuff belonging to my old hobbies, I haven’t purged very many decks. Simply because my decks add a lot of value and pleasure to my life. I did get rid of some decks and books though, but only because they didn’t resonate with me or because I never used them. I don’t have a set number of decks that I aim for but I do have a somewhat limited space for storage so I tend to get rid of old decks now and then in order to have room for new ones that I like better. I have decluttered and gone over all the other areas of my home multiple times too. I can personally never do it in just one round, I have to take it in steps and revisit every category 2 or more times.

While I’m not done with my decluttering or my process of simplifying my life, I have already seen so much improvement in my over all stress levels and in how manageable things feel now (especially when it comes to cleaning). And it’s been a real joy to purge old hobbies so I can have more and better room for the things that I am passionate about now (or that I never stopped being passionate about - like tarot). So it’s like I have promoted those important things (such as tarot, art and beadwork) and given them a premium space in my life. And I don’t regret a thing!

@Flaxen if you're ever in the South Wales area you are welcome to pop in and have a look at my books. There'll be tea and cake as well!

@Raggydoll yes, if they don't resonate they're going. Unless the art is too appealing (was going to say pretty, but it doesn't have to be pretty to be appealing). The Victorian Romantic doesn't appeal to me as a reading deck,  but I do like to look at it anyway.

@Page of Ghosts the reasons why is a good point, and may be worth me examining what it is and what has changed now.