Duplicated Card On Deck

Luna Indigo

Luna Indigo

Hello, everybody!

I'm new here (glad to have found this forum!), so, I apologise in advance if this is not the adequate place for this particular question (but I was taking a look on the other ones and thought this might fit with the subject). Also, english is not my first language, so, I hope you forgive my eventual mistakes.

So, my question is: After a bit of Lenormand reading when I was a teenager, I've started studying the "classic" tarot this year and recently got my first deck (a version of the Gilded Tarot that came along with "The Easy Tarot" book, by Josephine Ellershaw). While I was flipping through it for the first time, I noticed that my deck came with 2 Ace of Wands! So, I assume I should take one of them out of the deck in order not to compromise my readings, but then I felt as if I should take this duplicated card as a message from the Universe to me... Does that make sense?

Do you often get duplicated cards on new decks too? How do you interpret them? As a first "free" advise to you in the moment of your life? As the "personality" of the deck? Any thoughts on how should I "read" my extra Ace of Wands?

Also, I'd like to ask: would you say this is a good deck to start with, or should I begin with a "more Raider-Waite-ish" one? I've noticed that some arcanes are specially different (such as The Fool, The Magician, The High-Priestess, The Sun...), so I'm wondering if I should interpret them in a slight different way, depending on the vibe they have on this deck, or stick to the "more traditional" interpretation... What do you guys think of it?

Grizabella

I've never gotten a duplicate card in a new deck. I know others have, though. If you feel it's a message for you, that's perfectly acceptable.  🙂

You can learn with the Gilded if you like. I found, though, that learning with the RWS was the best idea for me.  I tried to learn with several others, but ultimately just bought a RWS and learned with that, only branching out to other decks later on. 

Welcome to our forum. You'll find lots of friendly help and socialization here. I look forward to seeing you here and getting to know you. 🙂

Rider-Waite (spelt that way !) is The Standard first deck with illustrated pups - but the Gilded isn't far off. If it feels right to you -use it. You will in the end work out your own meanings anyway.

I have never had a duplicated card but I would just say ho hum and leave it in the box, myself. If you feel it's a message you could use it as a significator on the grounds that it was special to YOUR deck ! It as a card of growth, so maybe it is a message in that sense.

Luna Indigo

On 7/4/2019 at 3:57 PM, Grizabella said:

I've never gotten a duplicate card in a new deck. I know others have, though. If you feel it's a message for you, that's perfectly acceptable.  🙂

You can learn with the Gilded if you like. I found, though, that learning with the RWS was the best idea for me.  I tried to learn with several others, but ultimately just bought a RWS and learned with that, only branching out to other decks later on. 

Welcome to our forum. You'll find lots of friendly help and socialization here. I look forward to seeing you here and getting to know you. 🙂

On 7/4/2019 at 4:21 PM, gregory said:

Rider-Waite (spelt that way !) is The Standard first deck with illustrated pups - but the Gilded isn't far off. If it feels right to you -use it. You will in the end work out your own meanings anyway.

I have never had a duplicated card but I would just say ho hum and leave it in the box, myself. If you feel it's a message you could use it as a significator on the grounds that it was special to YOUR deck ! It as a card of growth, so maybe it is a message in that sense.

Thanks a lot, Grizabella and Gregory, for your replies (and for correcting my spell)! 🙂

I'm considerng getting a Rider-Waite deck too and seeing how I feel like reading with each one of them during this beggining... 

I would leave it in there and use it. it's an Ace, and the Ace of Wands, a very high energy card for me. 

If it matters, years ago, 1976, Morgan-Greer issued about 100 decks by mistake with two Wheel of Fortune cards. Those decks are extremely valuable now, if that makes any difference. But I would use your deck as I received it for readings. 

Nordica De Spell

Hi, @Luna Indigo:animated-smileys-waving-065:

Nice to meet you!

Well, The Gilded could be considered a beginner’s deck. The potential trouble would be in the interpreting... because imo the answer to your question on whether to interpret it as an RW or as the Gilded it is, I’d say both! And that’s what we often do as tarot readers, but maybe is a bit much for a beginner. 

In that sense, just putting it away for now, and begin by using a Rider-Waite, could be more cohesive and less work. 

So, that’s something to consider.

(But it’s an ok deck to start with, it’s better than my first deck were, for sure!)

As for double cards, I too haven’t gotten those.

But with my Silver Witchcraft tarot, the cards were glued together like nothing else, and The Emperor and The Empress would not come apart despite every effort, not without damaging them badly. So I just left them that way, and figure their energy is conjunct, haha. 

And I have another deck where one card is missing. Because it’s a minor arcana card, and because it’s represented in the book in full colour, I don’t really mind. I just imagine it as a Signifier for every reading I do with the deck, and that way it is always present! 

So yeah, I’m the sort of person whom would place significance on getting double cards!

As for what you will do with them, that’s up to you! 🙂 

Welcome to the forum!

I think that sounds pretty cool!

Maybe this sounds sort of... I dunno... but as soon as I read your post, the first thought I had was it is like a message to you from the universe.

Maybe it’s telling you, like a gift, this is your card - your role is to be this in life!

I personally would keep the Ace with the rest of the cards, but not use it.

Good luck with your deck!

AfternoonTarot

I once received two of the same card in a deck (but don’t recall which card it was or what deck).  At the time, I didn’t think too much about what it could mean but I do recall leaving it aside while using the deck.  Now I’m curious!  I’ll need to go back and find it...

I’ve also had a card missing 3 or 4 times, but the publisher has always replaced it, no problem.  That’s the first thing I check.

My first deck had 2 Emperors and was missing a minor arcana, but the retailer sorted it out and gave me another deck, so all was well. Didn't really think about it because I was new to Tarot. Now if that happened, I would pay more attention. 🙂

I recently had this with my moon oracle deck where there were 2 cards of Moon Godess Venus. 

If this is a message for me, then Venus is good luck..should I carry this extra card with me always?

1 hour ago, ashwsh said:

I recently had this with my moon oracle deck where there were 2 cards of Moon Godess Venus. 

If this is a message for me, then Venus is good luck..should I carry this extra card with me always?

What do you feel drawn to do with the extra card? Do you have a relationship with the deity already?

It might be helpful to get familiar with the Rider-Waite (or RWS as it is often called, for Rider-Waiter-Smith) because so many books, conversations, decks, etc, are based on it.

I've never had a duplicate card myself. I find it quite incredible that @gregory has never had a duplicate, given her massive collection! And you got one on your first deck. It's kind of like getting a golden ticket on your first Willy Wonka chocolate bar. I take it no other card was missing?

9 hours ago, Starlight said:

What do you feel drawn to do with the extra card? Do you have a relationship with the deity already?

@Starlight

when i I got this deck, it felt weird to have this extra card, and I checked if other cards were in place in the deck. Maybe there was a message for me which I ignored.

As such I have no such association with Venus Goddess, I just decided to use this extra card as a bookmark for the LBW that came with the deck..not sure if I should carry her around with me. What would u advice?

@ashwsh I think a bookmark for the LWB is a great idea. 🙂 I don't think you need to do anything special with duplicate cards, beyond noticing them. Whatever you feel drawn to doing is perfect. 

1 minute ago, Starlight said:

@ashwsh I think a bookmark for the LWB is a great idea. 🙂 I don't think you need to do anything special with duplicate cards, beyond noticing them. Whatever you feel drawn to doing is perfect. 

Thanks @Starlight

AJ-ish/Sharyn

since you are just beginning, when you get a deck from any source, always put them in order. Occasionally there will be a card missing. I've had two decks that had extra cards, in both cases there was a card missing. Publishers keep decks just for this, and are very good about sending a replacement card. The extra cards I used as bookmarks, I don't like to get superstitious about stuff. 

Welcome to the board, we love new members!

Luna Indigo

@Joe

My boyfriend thinks I should use it as well (he is totally non involved with tarot, astrology, cristals or any mystical stuff lol... but that was his opinion :)). I confess that I still haven't been using, 'cause somehow I feel like it would be "cheating" and, I don't know, it may be silly, but I have a feeling deep down that this extra card was for me, and I'm not sure if I want to mix it with all the others and in readings for other people... 

@Nordica De Spell

Thanks for your welcoming and for sharing your words of wisdom. 🙂  I've decided to get a Rider-Waite deck, now just have to figure out if I prefer the universal or the radiant! :)) 

@4Angels

Yeah, I was having sort of the same feeling, but wasn't sure if I was trying to see too much into something that wasn't... Glad to know more people may have had the same impression! :))  

@AfternoonTarot and @Starlight

Oh, I think I'd be pretty annoyed if I found a card missing in my deck! Good that the publishers fixed this easily. 

@McFaire

Aaww, now I feel happy that I got extra lucky on my first deck! 🙂 Hahah Yeah, I've checked it all and there's no card missing, only the extra Ace of Wands (and I'm actually happy that it is this card with a "good vibe"! I think I would be a bit scared if I got a duplicated Tower or something like this... lol)

@ashwsh

I think that was a pretty good duplicate you got too, and you found a good solution. So far I'm keeping my extra Ace of Wands on the outside of the bag I'm keeping the deck, but attached to it with a ribbon (will see if I can take a pic later to show what I mean), as if it were some sort of "cover" and, at the same time, "guardian" of my deck. Maybe a bit too woo-woo, but it's what I felt like doing with it. Heheh :))

@AJ-ish/Sharyn

Yeah, thanks for your advice! The first thing I did when I got my deck was to flip around to see all the cards, then I noticed the extra. But I've put them in order already (more to study, actually) and no one is missing. 🙂

Sorry for this looong reply, but I took a while to come here again and didn't want to skip anyone (hope I didn't, accidentaly!!), since you've all been so nice and kind! :)) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.