Madam Clara

Nanook

I like the vintage vibe for this deck!

The 5-cent Tarot is another new undertaking I have begun as a personal project.  I wanted to create a fun and whimsical deck loosely inspired by Victorian era poster art. Using vintage images and remnants of biological and botanical ephemera, this deck also incorporates keywords in both the upright and reverse positions. 

Good idea!

Edited by Decan

NOT backing that. She let everyone down with another deck on indiegogo in 2016 (after failing to make it on KS) and promised us faithfully that the decks would be delivered. She doesn't even answer emails about it. I'm actually so hacked off I just emailed her on the KS site.

So - if she completes on KS I guess there's a chance; if not - well, don't run with indiegogo; they do NOT refund.

4 minutes ago, gregory said:

NOT backing that. She let everyone down with another deck on indiegogo in 2016 (after failing to make it on KS) and promised us faithfully that the decks would be delivered. She doesn't even answer emails about it. I'm actually so hacked off I just emailed her on the KS site.

So - if she completes on KS I guess there's a chance; if not - well, don't run with indiegogo; they do NOT refund. 

Thank you for that, I take note!

ACTUALLY to be fair - I emailed her there, and she is positively groveling and is sending me extra goodies as well as my deck. I suppose it MAY have got lost in the mail or something - but she didn't respond to my emails.... KS was fine - it was indiegogo where it all went pearshaped. KS has the advantage that if funding doesn't make it, you don't pay. That doesn't apply to indiegogo, which is why I tend to avoid them

Mind you - several hundred - 1600, and change - KS backers are still waiting for a deck from 2012. It raised $116,213 of its $18,00 goal. Almost no-one got anything. KS have done NOTHING. There are thousands of comments, and threats of legal action - but...

Edited by gregory

Venus Rising

thank you @gregory for sharing your background info about this creator.   The deck is cute as a button, but I don't think I will be supporting it now.  😢

wow, I see she has already far exceeded her original goal.    :shocked:

this made me sideeye the screen: 

"Risks and challenges

No real risks here. I have funded 3 editions of the original Madam Clara deck, as well as the Midcenturian here on Kickstarter. The project is 95% complete, with only a few details intentionally left to share the decision with backers through an online vote. I have printers at the ready and expect no delays in shipping."

Well she's right - it could have got lost in the mail - and she answered my message on KS VERY fast indeed. Spam filters can be very horrible. I'm not backing it - but that is because I don't back KS decks any more because of US customs ! Otherwise I think I would, now.

Venus Rising

44 minutes ago, gregory said:

Well she's right - it could have got lost in the mail - and she answered my message on KS VERY fast indeed. Spam filters can be very horrible. I'm not backing it - but that is because I don't back KS decks any more because of US customs ! Otherwise I think I would, now.

2 hours ago, gregory said:

ACTUALLY to be fair - I emailed her there, and she is positively groveling and is sending me extra goodies as well as my deck. I suppose it MAY have got lost in the mail or something - but she didn't respond to my emails.... KS was fine - it was indiegogo where it all went pearshaped. KS has the advantage that if funding doesn't make it, you don't pay. That doesn't apply to indiegogo, which is why I tend to avoid them

Mind you - several hundred - 1600, and change - KS backers are still waiting for a deck from 2012. It raised $116,213 of its $18,00 goal. Almost no-one got anything. KS have done NOTHING. There are thousands of comments, and threats of legal action - but...

Oh, I guess I am confused now when you said people from 2012 were still waiting for decks.  That statement made me leery of backing this.   

I looked on his KS list though and didn't see any projects further back than 2016.  Maybe it was under a different name or something.  

It's so clever the way the reversed keywords are upside down, so that you seem them when the card is reversed. Has this been done in other decks?

On 7/5/2019 at 4:44 PM, Venus Rising said:

Oh, I guess I am confused now when you said people from 2012 were still waiting for decks.  That statement made me leery of backing this.   

I looked on his KS list though and didn't see any projects further back than 2016.  Maybe it was under a different name or something.  

Sorry - the one from 2012 is someone completely different (a Cthulhu deck from Shane something or other) To be delivered in 2014.

The tarot part of this

Not that anyone got anything, as far as I can tell.

- I just mentioned it to point out that Kickstarter does nothing when people are stiffed. So AJ's suggestion - while it has been tried - doesn't help !

Edited by gregory

Venus Rising
1 hour ago, gregory said:

Sorry - the one from 2012 is someone completely different (a Cthulhu deck from Shane something or other) To be delivered in 2014.

The tarot part of this

Not that anyone got anything, as far as I can tell.

- I just mentioned it to point out that Kickstarter does nothing when people are stiffed. So AJ's suggestion - while it has been tried - doesn't help !

Ohhhhhhhh ok, I understand now. Thank you for the clarification 😄 

The longest I've waited for a Kickstarter to finish was 5 years, and it was for a film  (that ended up going to a lot of festivals etc) .  It was absolutely worth the wait, and I was confident that the filmmaker was going to finish it, but a lot of people were very upset at the delay.   

That being said, I'm pretty patient, but 7 years for a deck is longer than I care to wait. 😉  I hope that particular KS with the Cthulhu deck gets resolved soon.  That is a LOT of money being held up there. 😞 

9 hours ago, McFaire said:

It's so clever the way the reversed keywords are upside down, so that you seem them when the card is reversed. Has this been done in other decks?

The Deck of the Bastard (by Seven Stars) offers this option, but there are a bit less keywords than this one, generally one or two.

Here I would be curious about what look like some other cards like the Devil or the Moon for example.

ETA: otherwise I notice that there are a lot of insects on the cards... hmm, I have a bit a phobia of insects (particularly spiders), well this worry me here 😕

Edited by Decan

Okay, I'm sort of bewitched by this one, in despite the insects (!), the possible risks with Kickstarter, the price as well because with the shipping for me it remains pretty expensive although I stay below the line with regard to a tax at customs (at least presently because if the deck will be delivered in one year or more and in the meantime rules at customs changed... dum-dum-dum...).

But the style is for my taste, with nice colors and appealing vintage images, the keywords and all. It looks fun, like a deck the great Zoltar himself could use.

Well I don't know, and I'm wary of myself at times, so and since the project just begins I will decide about that during the month to come, probably at the lunar eclipse (maybe I'll receive some insights?) 🐸

Time will tell, as always!

@gregory I looked a bit on Kickstarter page and on Etsy too and I think that Madam Clara is possibly a guy (who is fond of extravagant disguises, like wigs or gladiator costumes apparently :classic_biggrin: )

Edited by Decan

On 7/6/2019 at 12:24 AM, Venus Rising said:

Ohhhhhhhh ok, I understand now. Thank you for the clarification 😄 

The longest I've waited for a Kickstarter to finish was 5 years, and it was for a film  (that ended up going to a lot of festivals etc) .  It was absolutely worth the wait, and I was confident that the filmmaker was going to finish it, but a lot of people were very upset at the delay.   

That being said, I'm pretty patient, but 7 years for a deck is longer than I care to wait. 😉  I hope that particular KS with the Cthulhu deck gets resolved soon.  That is a LOT of money being held up there. 😞 

It will never be resolved. One is Resigned. But posts rude comments form time to time - you never know....

@Decan I'm sure Clara is a guy, too.  Not least because "her" emails are signed "Rick" :rofl:

I'm not a backer for this deck (exept if I decide to become, but I'm still unsure about this and that, well...); otherwise just to note that this project seems a great success: they are near $20,000 while the goal was $2,500!!

Bravo Madam Clara! 🙂

Edited by Decan

I backed this deck and have been happily flooded with email updates as one stretch goal after another is met!

21 hours ago, Grandma said:

I backed this deck and have been happily flooded with email updates as one stretch goal after another is met!

Yes, and I decided to be in!

I will choose plain edge because I'm not wild about colored edges finally.

Actually even for the Red Samhain (I appreciate very much) I de-edged the red (while it was really nicely edged).

And for the record, Madam Clara has come up trumps and sent me a LOAD of stuff to make up for my backing going wrong. I take it all back, and s/he is AOK, OK ? :classic_smile:

26 minutes ago, gregory said:

And for the record, Madam Clara has come up trumps and sent me a LOAD of stuff to make up for my backing going wrong. I take it all back, and s/he is AOK, OK ? :classic_smile:

Oh great! I wanted to ask you if you received something!

Good news, I'm feeling more comfortable! 🙂

Edited by Decan

There are not a lot of backers for this one on the forum, no?

Okay, below the truth about Madam Clara (from Kickstarter page); actually it is a fictional character and sort of muse too (I summarize!) :classic_smile:

Truth be told, the backstory of Madam Clara might surprise you. I created the Madam Clara character as part of a year-long project leading up to the Salem Witches Ball on Halloween. I have always been fascinated with the dark and mysterious world of antique carnival and circus imagery. I wanted to create an experiential costume that was based on a vintage penny arcade fortune teller (the old lady in the glass box) and I wanted to dispense single fortune cards to bring the experience full circle. Being it was in Salem, authenticity was very important to me, so I researched the subject of tarot tirelessly, but I also felt somehow guided in the creation of this deck, which became a true labor of love for me. The fortunes needed to be genuine to the cards, but I wanted them to be mysterious and also a little kitschy, if you will. Once the fascination of the research swept me up with inspiration, I kept going. In keeping with this brand, I have decided to keep my true identity quiet and secondary to the Madam Clara pen-name, aka Clara Vaduva. I hope you enjoy the deck!

Madam is generous :classic_smile: and we will have a premium deck box, also we can choose between plain edges or golden edges for the deck (I'll choose plain on my part), plus 4 additional cards (I won't use them but it's a pleasant gift).

Since the goal #4 is now reached we will have a printed LWB, which is nice!

We could have a very nice velvet pouch but at this point I really don't know if this will be possible or not. Madam told us about that but apparently it doesn't depend on a particular goal to be reached so I don't know (?)

The reading cloth (but only if the campain reaches $32,000) is something possible but not sure (it remains only 8 days now).

Personally I would prefer a nice velvet pouch of a good quality instead of a reading cloth, but my opinion doesn't matter much.

5-cent Tarot

Edited by Decan

Concerning this project -we are near the very end (within the last 48 hours!)- all the goals were reached because we are now beyond $35,000, so we will have a lot of gifts with the deck itself: premium quality deck and pouch, premium magnetic lid box, choice of the edges, 4 extra major cards, LWB printed, custom spread cloth and even a label pin!! Maybe I will wear the pin :classic_biggrin:

I was happy to back this project, this was pleasant.

Edited by Decan
typo