Starting a Tarot Bullet Journal

TheFeeLion

I've decide to jump on the bullet journal bandwagon! So I bought myself an unlined art journal (couldn't find any cheap dot grid ones), a selection of different highlighters, some random pretty stickers and some felt tips. But now I'm stuck! I have no idea what kind of stuff I could be putting in this thing 😂 I've gotten as far as making the cover pretty (thanks to some copper contact paper and a pretty sticker), a title page (thanks new highlighters and pretty stickers!), an index/contents page and a star chart (not entirely sure why but why not?). So... where to now...? 

Does anyone else use bullet journals? Any suggestions as to what I could add to mine? Any tips or tricks? 

It depends on what route you want to take. My first tarot journal was very structured, like:

- the history and structure of tarot decks

- major arcana, the fools journey (and a section for each of the majors with symbolism, upright/reversed meanings etc)

- minor arcana, the four suits/elements. Then a section for each card. 

- court cards

- reversals (my general thoughts/experiences with them)

- elemental dignities 

- interactions 

- correspondences 

- jumpers, quints, base cards 

- favorite quotes and random thoughts

- spreads 

If this is an approach you like then make sure to leave lots of room for an index too. 

Otherwise you could do a more free journal and get as creative as you wish. I think it’s lovely to have both types of journals. 

7 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

- reversals (my general thoughts/experiences with them)

This is a good idea! 

- elemental dignities 

- interactions 

- correspondences 

Do you have any examples I could see? Sorry sometimes I get a little lost with the terminology if it's not in a sentence 😅

Gah! Where did that line go?? ^^^

It's supposed to say "- jumpers, quints, base cards"  to which I was going to ask, what kind of thing did you write about for these? 

- favorite quotes and random thoughts

- spreads 

I like the idea of both of these. I was actually thinking of putting in a year ahead spread I did last week for my birthday but it would be good to add in other spreads I do for myself and also new spreads I create (or have created) 😊

If this is an approach you like then make sure to leave lots of room for an index too. 

I've left myself a couple of pages for that, I just hope it's enough lol

Otherwise you could do a more free journal and get as creative as you wish. I think it’s lovely to have both types of journals.

I do like the idea of structure, it would make looking over it later much easier, but my brain doesn't always works that way. Plus I have no idea what an unstructured one would look like! I'd really like to have some visual things in there too, like tables and the like. 

I'm thinking of using this as an opportunity to put all my thoughts on my True Black deck in one place. When he was first posting images of his cards I commented a few times with first impressions and my immediate response of what the card was about (without knowing much about the meanings) so it would be good to compile everything together so I can access it when I need to. 

The point of making a journal of your own is to fill it with stuff that you are interested about and that you want to keep for future reference. So write down whatever it is that you are learning and all the things you are passionate about! 

2 hours ago, TheFeeLion said:

I've decide to jump on the bullet journal bandwagon! So I bought myself an unlined art journal (couldn't find any cheap dot grid ones), a selection of different highlighters, some random pretty stickers and some felt tips. But now I'm stuck! I have no idea what kind of stuff I could be putting in this thing 😂 I've gotten as far as making the cover pretty (thanks to some copper contact paper and a pretty sticker), a title page (thanks new highlighters and pretty stickers!), an index/contents page and a star chart (not entirely sure why but why not?). So... where to now...? 

Does anyone else use bullet journals? Any suggestions as to what I could add to mine? Any tips or tricks? 

Yay! I love my bullet journal! Woo hoo!!

I don't keep a tarot bullet journal - mine is pretty much used for organising my entire life so I have tarot, journalling, quotes, different spreads, collections, etc. (I'd feel completely lost and bereft without it.)

That said, a while back I came across a website where the owner was keeping a tarot bujo: https://soultruthgateway.com/blog/8-reasons-to-start-keeping-a-tarot-bullet-journal

This was a good article on tracking daily draws: https://soultruthgateway.com/blog/how-to-track-your-daily-draws-with-a-tarot-bullet-journal

I really liked the idea of creating icons to denote each card in the tarot deck. It looked very artistic and was also a bit like a secret code. 😄 But you can always just use an abbreviation like we do here on the forum - it's easier and more straightforward. :)

I haven't watched this, but there is a video on YT about tarot bullet journalling: 

Anyway, have fun with your bujo!

You'll probably end up with more than one of these journals, so you can try different things. One idea is to have a two-page for each major arcana and fill it in over time using keywords, symbols, etc as you discover more about each card. For the minor arcana, you could put, for example, all the fours on a two-page spread, and write about 4s in general and each 4 specifically.

That would be 22 + 14 = 37 page spreads for the cards.

You could also add a two-page spread for each suit, and do same for other aspects that interest you.

Just add to it over time as cards come up.

@McFaire ooo that's a good idea 😁 maybe  sshould have bought a bigger book lol

@Starlight those links and vid were really helpful! I like the idea from the vid of pasting coloured paper and pictures onto the backs of pages to hide the felt-tip bleed-through 😁

@Raggydoll I've just realised I can pull a whole host of stuff from my rather large tarot Pinterest board! I have a bad habit of doing the "pin and forget" thing lol so having all the good bits on paper is going to be a huge help 😁

10 hours ago, McFaire said:

A ring binder might be fun. Then you could add or replace pages, use dividers, and so on.

Heh yeah I thought that too, I've tried it with other stuff but never got all the bits of paper into the binder lol some made their way into the bin and the rest I think are floating around the house somewhere! Books are definitely a tidier way to go for me! 

17 hours ago, TheFeeLion said:

Heh yeah I thought that too, I've tried it with other stuff but never got all the bits of paper into the binder lol some made their way into the bin and the rest I think are floating around the house somewhere! Books are definitely a tidier way to go for me! 

I'm the same. And the index is ingenius for finding things again. And the way to gather spreads into collections. Love it.

5 hours ago, Starlight said:

I'm the same. And the index is ingenius for finding things again. And the way to gather spreads into collections. Love it.

I glad I'm not the only one! 

Hopefully I've left enough index room

I always love the idea of bullet journals, but I am just not the kind of person that can organize and do this kind of thing! I just have a notebook where I write down readings that I felt were particularly important. It does have card meanings in the front couple pages, though. And in the back I draw the interesting spreads I've found. It's mostly freeform. 

I have a love hate relationship with indexes. On one hand they are amazing when you want to find something fast. But on the other, they are a pain to fill and I never know if I've left enough pages for it 🤣

King of Swords

I’ve looked at bullet journaling before but it seems like an awful lot of organising, planning and preparing and not very much ‘doing’. Life’s too short. 

I’ve started a tarot journal in a plain Ikea notebook; I write about my daily draws and record spreads in it. I figure as I work with it more, I’ll learn what I like and how I want to organise things. 

I've started a bullet journal on tarot too. I write all the cards' general meanings, keywords, and relating stories or myths. Recently I find it really interesting to connect the song lyrics to the cards meaning. 

I'm now planning to write all the cards combinations that I find important or appear multiple times in my readings. Seems like there would be a lot of work to do.

Edited by Zinc2104

sage_lacroix

*enters late to the party*

I have a bit of a "planner problem" meaning I have a lot of journals and planners. Bullet journals are probably my favorite because they're a really cool way to organize your life. I don't re-write everything I know about the tarot in my journal, instead I keep a sort of daily pull log or reading log, and any new insights I learn about the cards. It's also integrated into my regular bullet journal so it's just part of my monthly and weekly pages.

Recently though I started keeping notes about readings on my computer because I'm always on my computer for work + school anyway. 

Did anyone in this thread end up making a tarot bullet journal? I'm curious as to how it went!

A late entry here as well..

Started a bullet journala couple of months ago. Gives me structure and a over-view of the time, but I don't use it very much. I tried to integrate my tarot and dream log in it but I had to go back and keep it to separate notebooks, because of different levels of "privacy" on these different subjects.

Katie

This is a really nice thread! I'm not into the idea of daily bullet journaling but i've been trying to figure out how to make a tarot journal work for me and there are some nice ideas here. I really like the idea of creating my own symbols for each card and doing a daily draw/reflection session.

I too like this thread! What I have added as a routine is to write down ("collect") different type of spreads that I find out about everywhere. That is the only thing I write down except for log on the spreads and what happened. I try to keep it simple and not demanding.

Katie

On 8/22/2019 at 12:58 AM, sage_lacroix said:

*enters late to the party*

I have a bit of a "planner problem".....

Well hello yes that'd be me....  I have a couple of ringbinder planners and a Travelers Notebook with too many inserts... I keep starting reading notebooks to make notes about what I'm reading, and surprise surprise, they don't get finished. I should just keep one and let the topics change page to page.  So now I'm deciding on the best format for a Tarot journal. There are too many choices about even simple things these days. How do I make such hard work of everything? I should keep just one diary and be done with it. But then I don't want the work stuff tangled up with the personal.  ....

I definitely want to make notes of my readings though. Drew the Two of Wands from the Housewives yesterday, too funny: I need to decide where to focus my energies. - - ROFL

I love my bullet journal; it's the best tool I've ever used for staying organized and on-task at work. I have ADHD, not of the over-active type but of the extremely inattentive type; writing things down and keeping lists has helped me so, so much. 

I hadn't thought of trying the same journaling system for tarot purposes, but I think it could work. Given that everything gets its own spot in the table of contents of a bullet journal, it allows for flexibility in starting new topics and exploring new ideas as they occur to you; you don't have to do things in a linear fashion as long as you add things to the table of contents (for ease of future review).

If I were to try tarot bullet-journaling, it would most likely be for the purpose of studying and listing artistic and historical connections between decks rather than for recording card meanings. I'm a collector at heart 🙂.

4 hours ago, Annabelle said:

If I were to try tarot bullet-journaling, it would most likely be for the purpose of studying and listing artistic and historical connections between decks rather than for recording card meanings. I'm a collector at heart 🙂.

This sounds like a really interesting project. Do share if/when you're ready!

OK, I know I've been afk for far too long but now I have waay too much time up my sleeves so.... I'm baaaack :) 

Thought I would share where I'm at with my tarot bujo journey. 

I fugured out pretty quick that I like things to have some kind of order without too much forward planning. This is what I came up with... 

I decided to colour code my index to make it easier to find specific things, like spreads I like or readings. 

I wanted to have visual cues for each card so assigned them all symbols and colour code them too. I used Pinterest a lot for this so I wouldn't have to make them all up myself so some cards went through a few different iterations before I was happy with the symbols I was using. 

Another thing I wanted to do was at least one full spread a month. Enter my Year of Spreads page. This is a kind of master list of spreads I wanted to do this year. I left room to add other spreads too. 

At the start of the month I do a new title page so it's very clear when I looking at a new month's worth of stuff. It's also a great place to add any quotes I really like too. Then comes the daily draws pages. I've discovered (with my first bujo) that I hate having to write something about my daily draws every day, mainly because I forget more than half the time! So I now do a monthly double page thingy to record each card and any repetitions etc that occur during the month. 

I wanted to be able to track lunar phases and events throughout the year so that got its own two pages at the start of the journal. The phases I also add to my monthly pages so I can see what cards I'm pulling for each phase. 

After that, any new spread I do gets its own spot. I take a note of the date and the deck I use and write any thoughts I have about each card. I'm thinking for some spreads I may need to leave some room so I can go back to them and add more insight after the fact. 

I took some pics so you can see what I'm talking about. Bonus: the Vintage Spread at the end is actually one of my own creations :D

IMG_20200418_105105.jpg

IMG_20200418_105201.jpg

IMG_20200418_105359.jpg

IMG_20200418_105237.jpg

IMG_20200418_105246.jpg

IMG_20200418_112628.jpg

IMG_20200418_105121.jpg

IMG_20200418_105313.jpg

IMG_20200418_105325.jpg

I am blown away!! 

This is simply BEAUTIFUL! 😍

I love the title page for each month and the symbols you've chosen to designate each card and how you've entered your daily draws into a calendar. And the Lunar Events and Lunar calendar is VERY striking.

Really, really beautiful, @TheFeeLion. I always admire people who can turn their bullet journals into works of (practical) art. I'm more of a lists and one pen colour type of bujo-er. 🙂

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.