Morgan Greer Deck 3 of Coins

Hilary

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum and Tarot. But I still have my spell book from the late 70s so not so new in other ways. I'm really looking forward to exploring the site and a thank you to anyone who reads my post. I have a question whilst I'm happily learning all the meanings of the cards. Many sources are very clear about the meaning of the 3 of coins because there are two people talking with the apprentice. My Morgan Greer simply has a person chipping away at a wall with three pentacles behind. There is a symbol beneath which I haven't worked out although it looks like a rune. I wouldn't on path working on the card myself come up with the seemingly accepted interpretation. The Morgan Greer deck is already dear to me but does seem to leave a lot out which is included in the Rider-Waite. Thank you for any ideas....

Did the deck come with a book? Some deck creators are changing meanings, some do it slightly, some more. I look at the card and it seems to me, that the Morgan Greer 3 of coins would talk about a person who has mastered their craft, they do not need anyone to show them how to do the work. The person seems very independently working on something. So yes I would agree with you, that within the Morgan Greer Deck this card probably does not mean collaboration.

We do have mentors and if you are interested you can sign up here:

Thank you. I bought from the internet the book which originally was supposed to accompany the deck. Quite a few times it made me quite irritated but amused. It was both 'stating the obvious' and oblique at the same time! I've decided my young man at 3 is becoming competent. Still influenced by the empress. Thanks for helping me brainstorm...

Hey @Hilary! Welcome to the Forum. I often work with the Morgan Greer deck because it's one of my favourites. 

For me the 3 of pentacles in this deck talks about the man showing off his skill. He's a master builder. He's focused on his craft and is part of a major project (looks like a cathedral). In Medieval times only the best could take part in such things. 

I don't think the card talks about collaboration, but exhibiting one's skills.

Yes I see. I think I still see him as quite young. My learning curve includes me sort of 'cross referencing' with the stage of the fool's journey and the Major Arcana which trumps the pips. I forgot about the status of working on a cathedral, I like that very much! Thank you. I wish I had my notes with me but I'm in a field. I'll have to tap into my rusty instinct which the tarot is giving a good oiling...

The Morgan Greer deck was created using color as being significant to the meanings of the cards. I used to have the book but I don't have it anymore and I don't remember what the book was titled. Maybe you could Google it or look on Amazon by making your search " images of Morgan Greer Tarot" or something like that. As I recall, it was kind of a small book and really didn't give me much of a feel for information on the colors but I was fairly new at the time I had it.

I don't consider the MG deck to be a really appropriate deck for people just learning. I had trouble using it myself in the early years. It's a deck that's more useful to a reader who has all the cards in the Rider Waite deck in my opinion. However, we all choose to do our own thing individually, of course, and for some people the deck may be a perfect fit.

Edited by Grizabella

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.