The Newest Book On Your Tarot Bookshelf

chongjasmine

it be the mermaid tarot book that comes with the mermaids book.. I haven't read it full yet, but looks to be a good read.  

Tarot (The): History, Symbolism & Divination

By Robert M. Place

(letters came out a bit strange due to copy/paste)

Katie

Edited by Katie

Everyday Tarot, by Gail Fairfield (originally published as Choice Centered Tarot). It's a book I've wanted for ages, having seen it referenced by Mary K Greer as one of her inspirations, and I was pleased to finally find a copy at Atlantis Books.

I've just ordered Caitlin Matthews' Untold Tarot: The Lost Art of Reading Ancient Tarots. 

ETA: Order cancelled! I decided not to spend the money right now. 

Edited by Carla

On 9/25/2019 at 8:27 PM, Eric said:

Skye Alexander

Modern Witchcraft Book of Tarot

Your complete Guide To Understanding The Tarot.

I have this one, but haven't read it yet.

The Complete Tarot Reader: Everything You Need to Know from Start to Finish by Teresa Michelsen. It's out of print, so I had to buy it used. I wasn't really intending to get that one because there are so many beginner Tarot books out there and I've already read a few of them. I got her book Designing Your Own Tarot Spreads (also out of print) and I started it recently and found I have really enjoyed it so far. I found she apparently used to have a Tarot website where she shared free documents and resources on Tarot, so it's a shame the website is no longer up. I hope she continues to write and maybe starts a new website, because I like her style. 

I also really wish Llewellyn would bring back the "Special Topics in Tarot" series of books and re-print what was already published. Even though Tarot is becoming more and more popular and mainstream the vast majority of books published are still beginner books. It's harder to find more advanced or specialized topics, which is a shame for something as versatile as Tarot. So many of the more unique offerings on Tarot like Tarot Shadow Work, etc go out of print which is a real shame because there are still dozens (if not hundreds?) of beginner books that stay in print. 

@Eamane I like her divinations of the cards. A little different, but the same essence and she takes a step further, like everyone else though! And I liked her chapter on numerology. That's something I always look for in a spread myself. 

30 minutes ago, Eric said:

@Eamane I like her divinations of the cards. A little different, but the same essence and she takes a step further, like everyone else though! And I liked her chapter on numerology. That's something I always look for in a spread myself. 

Oh! That sounds great! I've heard good things about the book. I'll put it next on my list then.

Hello, all! Just joined the forum and hopefully it's okay to jump into this thread. My newest tarot book is Tarot for Troubled Times by Miro & Reed. Really looking forward to it -- professionally I am up to my nose in work related to current events in the US so having something that connects tarot and the sense of stress I often feel is very welcome! I've just started following Reed via her podcast but Miro is new-to-me so I'm also excited to find new thinkers to follow.

Hello @thesibylqueen

I have just purchased this book.  It arrived in the post a couple of days ago and I haven't had a chance to do much more than flick through it.  Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it. 

Welcome to the site!!

On 9/27/2019 at 7:55 AM, Pixie said:

The Complete Tarot Reader: Everything You Need to Know from Start to Finish by Teresa Michelsen. It's out of print, so I had to buy it used. I wasn't really intending to get that one because there are so many beginner Tarot books out there and I've already read a few of them. I got her book Designing Your Own Tarot Spreads (also out of print) and I started it recently and found I have really enjoyed it so far. I found she apparently used to have a Tarot website where she shared free documents and resources on Tarot, so it's a shame the website is no longer up. I hope she continues to write and maybe starts a new website, because I like her style. 

I also really wish Llewellyn would bring back the "Special Topics in Tarot" series of books and re-print what was already published. Even though Tarot is becoming more and more popular and mainstream the vast majority of books published are still beginner books. It's harder to find more advanced or specialized topics, which is a shame for something as versatile as Tarot. So many of the more unique offerings on Tarot like Tarot Shadow Work, etc go out of print which is a real shame because there are still dozens (if not hundreds?) of beginner books that stay in print. 

You might check out the old AT forum for posts from Thirteen, she posted some really great stuff.  She has a way of making things understandable and accessible which I always really appreciated.

I also agree about Special Topics in Tarot.  I have all but one of those books and I love them.  I wish they would do one one on how to use the elements and one on using astrology with Tarot.  I use the Tarot for Self Discovery, and the Tarot Court Cards by Mary Greer in mentoring students.

As for what I am reading, I have been reading all kinds of Companion Books as I review deck/book sets, and am just finishing the Tarot in Wonderland companion book and it is really great especially for a beginner, but has some great things on patterns too.  It has been a good read.

Edited by Jewel

On 9/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, Jewel said:

You might check out the old AT forum for posts from Thirteen, she posted some really great stuff.  She has a way of making things understandable and accessible which I always really appreciated.

I also agree about Special Topics in Tarot.  I have all but one of those books and I love them.  I wish they would do one one on how to use the elements and one on using astrology with Tarot.  I use the Tarot for Self Discovery, and the Tarot Court Cards by Mary Greer in mentoring students.

As for what I am reading, I have been reading all kinds of Companion Books as I review deck/book sets, and am just finishing the Tarot in Wonderland companion book and it is really great especially for a beginner, but has some great things on patterns too.  It has been a good read.

Wow, thanks! I will have to look up her posts on the AT archive. She definitely writes in a way that is very approachable and easy to digest! I haven't started the Complete Tarot Reader yet but I have a feeling it would be a great resource for a beginner that may be intimidated by some of the "heavier" beginner Tarot books. An Astrology book in that series would be perfect! Astrology is one of the few areas I really haven't explored too much in Tarot and there aren't that many books dedicated solely to it. 

I haven't tried Tarot for Self Discovery, but I've heard good things! It is on my wishlist and the next book I will probably end up purchasing. I'm glad the Mary Greer book is still in print. It's also available in eBook format which is nice.

Do you have the Dream Interpretation book in that series? Is that one worth getting too? Dream Interpretation is one of my specialities, it's how I learned all about the subconscious/symbolism/etc which really helped me more than anything else as a beginner Tarot reader. As far as I can remember, I don't know of any other book that's about combining the two.

8 minutes ago, Pixie said:

Do you have the Dream Interpretation book in that series? Is that one worth getting too? Dream Interpretation is one of my specialities, it's how I learned all about the subconscious/symbolism/etc which really helped me more than anything else as a beginner Tarot reader. As far as I can remember, I don't know of any other book that's about combining the two.

I did not get that one, because I have little to no dream recall usually :rofl:

If you don't have 21 Ways to Read A Tarot Card by Mary Greer, I would recommend that.  It is a workbook that I wish had been available when I first started with Tarot.  I used her other workbooks, but that one really helped me build confidence and find my own reading style and voice. If you are just starting out and don't have it, it is really worth a try.

1 hour ago, Jewel said:

I did not get that one, because I have little to no dream recall usually :rofl:

If you don't have 21 Ways to Read A Tarot Card by Mary Greer, I would recommend that.  It is a workbook that I wish had been available when I first started with Tarot.  I used her other workbooks, but that one really helped me build confidence and find my own reading style and voice. If you are just starting out and don't have it, it is really worth a try.

Yep, I do have that one. I have a pretty decent Tarot library. Mostly in eBook form because I don't have enough space for hundreds of Tarot books in my house - alas! I  have started to avoid buying more of the beginner books for the most part now because I have read a lot of them and find them mostly somewhat repetitive and there are already so many out there and so many good options. I'm always looking for advanced or more niche topic Tarot books (like the dream interpretation one, or ones specifically on spreads, shadow work, correspondences, etc). 🙂

Edited by Pixie

6 minutes ago, Pixie said:

Yep, I do have that one. I have a pretty decent Tarot library. Mostly in eBook form because I don't have enough space for hundreds of Tarot books in my house - alas! I  have started to avoid buying more of the beginner books for the most part now because I have read a lot of them and find them mostly somewhat repetitive and there are already so many out there and so many good options. I'm always looking for advanced or more niche topic Tarot books (like the dream interpretation one, or ones specifically on spreads, shadow work, correspondences, etc). 🙂

I really like Tarot Interactions by Deborah Lipp.  I am a pattern person, so this book is fabulous for learning more about seeing and using patterns as you read.  Another great book, and one that is really fun to read is Tarot Tells the Tale by James Rickleff.

I will be honest, I wasted a lot of money on Tarot books early on, but those two and the Special Topics in Tarot series have stood the test of time with me.  I also use The Tarot Decoded by Elizabeth Hazel sometimes.  And deck companion books by Barbara Moore are usually quite good.

Edited by Jewel

On 9/27/2019 at 4:57 PM, thesibylqueen said:

Hello, all! Just joined the forum and hopefully it's okay to jump into this thread. My newest tarot book is Tarot for Troubled Times by Miro & Reed. Really looking forward to it -- professionally I am up to my nose in work related to current events in the US so having something that connects tarot and the sense of stress I often feel is very welcome! I've just started following Reed via her podcast but Miro is new-to-me so I'm also excited to find new thinkers to follow.

This one sounds really interesting and relevant for today, @thesibylqueen - thanks! I'll put it on my reading list! And would love to read your thoughts on it when you had a chance to read it!

On 9/27/2019 at 5:46 PM, Saturn Celeste said:

That is one coffee table book ! (I have it too. I was - quite alarmed.)

My newest was an accident and I haven't exactly read it - it was an extra I got with an ebay purchase: Sandra Thomson and others: The Heart of the Tarot

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/heart-two-card-layout/

It looks promising.