Deck of The Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 109 : August 10- August 16

VGimlet

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a new deck to work with exclusively for the week.

Anyone is welcome. Please join us!

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc.

Participants:

1. Katie - The Royal Mischief playing cards

2. AJ-ish/Sharyn - Oracle of the Radiant Sun

3. Mi-shell - Mythical Goddess Tarot and the  Birds of North America playing cards

4. VGimlet - Rackham Tarot

5. Bodhiseed - Dark Goddess Tarot paired with the Tattwa Cards

6. Scarlet Woodland - Mary-El tarot and Royal Mischief Playing Cards

7. lenne - Royo Labyrinth

8. Madame Squee - DRAK Cartomancy Playing Cards.

(419)

Edited by VGimlet

I'm inn again, thanks @VGimlet! I would like to use The Royal Mischief playing cards (if it is ok to use playing cards?) anchored by Dark Mansion Tarot.

Katie

AJ-ish/Sharyn

you can use any deck you like Katie! Also dice, runes, and toothpicks if they come up in your deck rotation 😉

I'll be switching to Oracle of the Radiant Sun tomorrow, the Cathars have wrung me out this week. 

We will be leaving for three months on Wednesday when I'll be switching to my Rogue Tarot deck, made up with the help of a few friends! 

That's nice to hear 😁 I like looking for signs everywhere as in Robert Moss' Sidewalk Oracles. But I'll keep it to decks mostly, at least here.

Katie

I think I need to "clean my pallet"

The coming week I will use the Mythical Goddess Tarot and a small deck of playing cards, that was given to me as a present:

Birds of North America. It will be fun to open that and experience toe cards.

I hope you will still be able to pop in here from time to time AJ!  

This week I'll be using the Rackham Tarot.  

Arthur Rackham was one of the artists I put on a list of "artists you wish had tarot decks" on some old thread somewhere.   I'm actually using a flap with Rackham's Little Mermaid illustration (from Baba Studios messenger bags with interchangeable front flaps - I have a LOT of flaps...)

So, a three-card spread for this upcoming week.

20190810_083251-01.jpeg.f7b8db5ebb3a8e74055f48b957781006.jpeg

First upper left has the text "Grandma's Grimace". I think I can relate that to something. Then 2 court cards, the one on the right side looks as if it hurts. The Dark Mansion cards at the bottom line is so clear to read to me. I love that sun came up. The Hierophant, wow. Now I will let this sink in and look at the pic of tje spread every now and then and read in my books (tarot, the playing cards will have to be intuitively read).

Katie

Here is the only picture of the Playing Card deck I could find 😞

I think, I will have to take some pictures tomorrow.

s-l1600.jpg.ba5dc632718fc455ac1eb9f1751787b7.jpg

OK! 

Here we go!

Bird of the day  readings for the members of this group 🙂

Today's Bird:

Spotted Towhee / Queen of Clubs

She is a secretive Queen of the West, intelligent, resourceful and very efficient.

She loooooves money and nice things!

So, watch out, that she is not flirting with you, just because you have some dough - or "Green Frogs" in your pocket. 

People with Spider, Lizard or Snake Totems, watch out, she will swallow you hole!

Edited by Mi-Shell

This week I'll be using the Dark Goddess Tarot, a deck created by Ellen Lorenzi-Prince and published by Arnell's Art. Along with it, I'll be using a set of Tattwas Cards. Today's draws are the Amazon of Earth (Page of Pentacles) and 'Air - Seed of Water:'

PgEarth.jpgair%2Bseed%2Bwater.jpg

Artemis, called "She of the Wild" by Homer, was known as a huntress, protector of the young, and a guardian of the forests. She chose to remain chaste and had a bevy of priestesses who vowed to do the same. But Artemis, like many in the first flush of learning, saw in black and white. She had a concept (chastity/purity) that was held in such esteem, she couldn't see any other options. After her hunting attendant Callisto gave birth to a son (with Zeus as his father), Artemis attempted to turn them both into a bear. Zeus instead turned them into the constellations Ursa Minor and Ursa Major. The keyword for Air: Seed of Water is 'stagnation.' Together with the Page, it warns of reifying concepts - making them concrete and inflexible. There is a Buddhist slogan that says, "Self-liberate even the antidote." Basically, it tells us not to try to use one idea as a catch-all for everything. Life is complicated, and it requires a wide perspective rather than a narrow one if we are to see it clearly.

So whenever you come up with a solid conclusion, let the rug be pulled out. You can pull out your own rug, and you can also let life pull it out for you. ~ Pema Chodron

@Bodhiseed Oh those card, I have never seen them before, it reminds a little of the Mythic.

Draw three cards "thesis-antithesis-synthesis" with a specific question in mind.

20190811_161142.thumb.jpg.7e284ed0445372286c455f858d5fa757.jpg

I will have to let them sink in a little.

EDIT. So how is it with one of my little daughters? Reading: Thesis: at 8 years old as she is, she's spending time with/think about friends and they have a lot in common. Anti-thesis: On the other hand she has her parent's that she relies on (picking noses....what??!? Can't interpret that). Synthesis: even though it's long time until she's a grown up lady, she will be there some day.

Katie

Edited by Katie

Bird of the Day:

Today, befitting for a Sunday, I drew the King of Diamonds!

It shows me a yellow Rumped Warbler/ Myrtle Warbler.

Reading:

There are many kings like this one in the woodlands. so competition is fierce!

to succeed, practicality and discipline is needed, in order to stand out and gain respect. 

No wonder, that for this guy, business and career come before love an settling down.

If you want to catch this king of commerce, your trap should  feature a delicious berry pie; He will fall over himself for that!

But:

Beware of his finicky strategies and deceptions, he too knows and uses many.

Thoughts about the Royal Mischief deck. I do not connect with deck. Imagery is bizarre so I laught at them. They are sort of "cool" but I am right now in a more RWS-type of deck period. I am learning card meanings etc. So can the deck be used for playing games instead? Unfortinately the kings and knights are a little bit hard to differ. Plus one would need a letter/sign/number in each cards upper corner. However THAT has been taken care of in the next edition. Though I don't need fancy playing cards. So for reading the rest of this week, it will be the Dark M tarot that I am immensely drawn to at the moment.

Draw a "card of the day" this morning. 5 of cups. Meaning thinking about forgivness.

Katie

Bird of the Day:

9 of Diamonds, Pileated Woodpecker

This is the day to pack a punch, be tenacious and hammer away at obstacles and challenges. 

You are the one, that manages to get at well hidden morsels - the ones that are advantageous to everyone as well as the ones that were the cog in the wheel and have been bugging everyone for quite a while.

People need to see you and hear you!

It may yield a new business venture or a promotion. 

A significant other will admire your work from a distance.

2108389257_Pileatedlarge.jpg.7d9d6cfc26e204dbf69095bf380010cd.jpg

Welcome lenne!!!    Have fun, and thanks for joining us.   🙂    

So far the Rackham is just "meh", but we'll see how it goes - sometimes decks grow on me by the end of the week.   For me it feels so far like just another art deck, as images so far don't quite go with the tarot card symbolism.   I still like it, because of the art, but most time art decks leave me a little disappointed.   But I'm willing to give it a chance.

Madame Squee

Thank you for the thread, VG. 💐

This week, I'm in with DRAK Cartomancy Playing Cards. 

This deck came from Jorge Cuaik at the Wandering Oracle a couple years ago when he was still offering them. They are scanned from his own antique deck.

I am crazy about these cards! They are bridge-size, made from high-quality SMOOTH card stock. And like the original, every back is unique! 

I marked them with titles and keywords from "The Playing Card Oracles" by Ana Cortez.

DRAK Cartomancy Playing Cards.JPG

2 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

Bird of the Day:

9 of Diamonds, Pileated Woodpecker

This is the day to pack a punch, be tenacious and hammer away at obstacles and challenges. 

You are the one, that manages to get at well hidden morsels - the ones that are advantageous to everyone as well as the ones that were the cog in the wheel and have been bugging everyone for quite a while.

People need to see you and hear you!

It may yield a new business venture or a promotion. 

A significant other will admire your work from a distance.

2108389257_Pileatedlarge.jpg.7d9d6cfc26e204dbf69095bf380010cd.jpg

Woodpecker! I remember having a sign at the wall at home when I was a kid: "Do like the woodpecker; use your head when you're working"

(I am not sure the translation from Swedish to English gives the "punch")

Katie

21 hours ago, Katie said:

Woodpecker! I remember having a sign at the wall at home when I was a kid: "Do like the woodpecker; use your head when you're working"

(I am not sure the translation from Swedish to English gives the "punch")

Katie

Thanks, Katie, that is a very wise proverb!

Bird of the Day:

7 of Spades, House Finch

I am a little concerned, that today we will be dealing with secrets.

Secrets are spawns of fear and breed doubt and insecurity.

The poor common House Finch seems hardly the type to harbor many secrets, since he lives quite openly among us and chances are many of us have seen one today. 

Sort your secrets!

Decide, which ones you HAVE to keep and which ones to reveal. 

You might get a red face while fessing up, but it will feel good, when you

lighten your burden!

68821243_maleHousefinchcard.jpg.89ebb2b6156bd9dd415a2f1284977039.jpg

@Mi-Shell Are the interpretations of the bird cards from some LWB or so? I like that you write Daily Bird instead of Daily Card.

I have drawn a card from Dark Mansion Tarot this morning and got King of Swords.

20190813_185421-01.thumb.jpeg.1f181cc1c68fa4eaba8f07f693c36162.jpeg

That is one serious guy. "Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people." - William Butler Yeats. Taken from Brigit Esselmont's "The Ultimate Guide to Tarot Card Meanings".

Katie

24 minutes ago, Katie said:

@Mi-Shell Are the interpretations of the bird cards from some LWB or so? I like that you write Daily Bird instead of Daily Card.

Katie

No! I very rarely get the chance to just read with Playing Cards. 

These are meanings, that on a general sense go with the card I draw and its meaning and what I sense is important for the day.

Like in the 7 of Spades, I could also have focused on insecurities and inner doubts or at a general reluctance to see and accept things as the way they are instead looking for a scapegoat, when things go off track.....

But the red face and chest of the Bird pointed me into the direction of secrets and having to reveal - or fess up.....

29 minutes ago, Mi-Shell said:

No! I very rarely get the chance to just read with Playing Cards. 

These are meanings, that on a general sense go with the card I draw and its meaning and what I sense is important for the day.

Like in the 7 of Spades, I could also have focused on insecurities and inner doubts or at a general reluctance to see and accept things as the way they are instead looking for a scapegoat, when things go off track.....

But the red face and chest of the Bird pointed me into the direction of secrets and having to reveal - or fess up.....

Impressed by your reading skills. They sounded like taken from a book. And that partly red bird - splendid reading there 😊👍👍👍

Katie

Edited by Katie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.