Eric

Hello....

I just want to say, after a weekend that could be summed up by the tarot, as a number "2" (no pun intended folks!), of duality and changes, today is a great day and I am this much more of a firm believer in the tarot, because of the spread I did for myself Friday night, and astrology. 

Hope you're all having a great day too, thank you, have a nice day. Y'all. 

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Hi, nice to be here. Great place you've got. 

Hey there! Glad to see you’ve reclaimed yourself. Will we see a new avatar too? I must say I wondered why you went with Bonnie and Clyde. Will you humor me and explain? 😊

Posted (edited)

@Raggydoll

Maybe it could be a challenge for everyone to have a picture of themselves in their avatar!

But I'm impressed you know thats Bonnie and Clyde. I like that picture a lot, it's really a classic. No funny, special or classic reason why I have it. Or maybe there is psychosomatically. They lived outside of society, which I like. And while not the best people around, legend has it Bonnie was actually a lot meaner than Clyde, they sort of represent the time they lived in. 

Edited by Eric

6 hours ago, Eric said:

@Raggydoll

Maybe it could be a challenge for everyone to have a picture of themselves in their avatar!

😆 Nah, that’s not something we’d ever suggest to people. This isn’t Facebook and even those of us who do this professionally deserve the right to choose who they want to reveal themselves to. Many of my friends here on the forum know my real name and what I look like, and I know their details too. That’s how I prefer things to be - you earn your trust. I think integrity and privacy are two really important things and it’s not relevant what a person looks like behind the screen. That’s the strength of tarot forums; you don’t have to put up pretenses or tell lies. Just share whatever truths you want and keep the rest to yourself. 

But I'm impressed you know thats Bonnie and Clyde. 

It’s a famous picture as you say. Im sure others will have recognized it too.

6 hours ago, Eric said:

I like that picture a lot, it's really a classic. No funny, special or classic reason why I have it. Or maybe there is psychosomatically. They lived outside of society, which I like.

I see. I sort of guessed that’s why you chose it. I saw your YouTube video and the way you interpreted 5 of pentacles, and I got the impression that you were speaking from a personal viewpoint 🙂

4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

😆 Nah, that’s not something we’d ever suggest to people. This isn’t Facebook and even those of us who do this professionally deserve the right to choose who they want to reveal themselves to. Many of my friends here on the forum know my real name and what I look like, and I know their details too. That’s how I prefer things to be - you earn your trust. I think integrity and privacy are two really important things and it’s not relevant what a person looks like behind the screen. That’s the strength of tarot forums; you don’t have to put up pretenses or tell lies. Just share whatever truths you want and keep the rest to yourself. 

Right on, Raggy.

I "prefer to remain anonymous" as they say. Not for tarot reasons; I am totally unashamed of that, and tell people IRL, but I have no interest in being tracked down or emailed by forum people I haven't chosen to know IRL (and there are plenty of those, but not the thousands there could be !); I'm still annoyed at having been tracked down - after well over 40 years of no contact and several moves) by an old school friend I had hoped I would never hear from again.

:classic_ninja:

Everyone has an absolute right to being anonymous, ecspecialy over the web these days, and I guess forever now. I just pulled Joe out of the air because I wasn't sure I'd be staying here. But my "tarot. week" last week, on Friday ended rather rough. That changed yesterday with a phone call which made real happy. And I was just tired of being called Joe, since I'm not Joe anyway! Oh the dichotomy of it all!

But, @Raggydoll, thanks for visiting my site and actually sitting through my video. 

28 minutes ago, Eric said:

But, @Raggydoll, thanks for visiting my site and actually sitting through my video. 

Of course, I’m always interested in seeing what our members are up to! I was hoping you’d might use that nice deck of yours (the one that me and Katrinka has too), and so you did! I think the university books RWS don’t get featured enough 🙂

18 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Of course, I’m always interested in seeing what our members are up to! I was hoping you’d might use that nice deck of yours (the one that me and Katrinka has too), and so you did! I think the university books RWS don’t get featured enough 🙂

So true. USG/Kaplan always get credited with "reintroducing" RWS. But RWS has been in continuous publication (with the exception being the WWII years, at least AFAIK? A lot of things got put on hold for the war effort.)

But between Rider and USG, there was University Books, Frankie Albano, Zolar, and de Laurence.
OK, the Zolar isn't the prettiest thing in the world, and those yellow, red. and orange de Laurence decks hurt my eyeballs, lol. But it was something.
And the University Books and the Albano are lovely. And I think USG is apparently aware that some of us prefer them, since they publish the Albano now (they even cranked up the colors a bit.)
I don't know who owns the rights to the University Books images. I'm a little surprised it hasn't been republished by anyone yet.

20 minutes ago, katrinka said:

So true. USG/Kaplan always get credited with "reintroducing" RWS. But RWS has been in continuous publication (with the exception being the WWII years, at least AFAIK? A lot of things got put on hold for the war effort.)

But between Rider and USG, there was University Books, Frankie Albano, Zolar, and de Laurence.
OK, the Zolar isn't the prettiest thing in the world, and those yellow, red. and orange de Laurence decks hurt my eyeballs, lol. But it was something.
And the University Books and the Albano are lovely. And I think USG is apparently aware that some of us prefer them, since they publish the Albano now (they even cranked up the colors a bit.)
I don't know who owns the rights to the University Books images. I'm a little surprised it hasn't been republished by anyone yet.

I actually have no idea. Maybe @gregory has a theory about it. It should be republished! But it might not feel the same without that lovely old cardstock. Mine is the non-sticky one (I heard some later print runs had a more sticky coating but mine is great). I just wish it didn’t smell of incense. Otherwise I’d use it way more often. I really struggle with incense and I need to make sure I don’t touch my face accidentally when I’m handling it = stuffed nose and itchy eyes. 😔 Those true vintage decks tend to often smell of incense, from my experience 

That University deck is my very special go-to-deck and I like using it. I've put it aside for now because I had a run of people flaking on appointments, so I picked up the full size Centennial Smith-Waite borderless deck and I like it a lot also. I'm using it for a reading tomorrow for the first time. The University deck is thin card stock and the cards do stick together and sort of smell like the box, but that's not so bad. I would really like to get another of these decks, I don't need it, and the prices keep me away. 

Mine isn't sticky, either, and it's definitely a later one since the box is identical to the one I had years ago. But if it was sticky, I'd just throw some fanning powder on it and keep using it.

Raggy, it sounds like that deck needs some serious airing out, for as long as it takes!

On 8/12/2019 at 5:35 PM, Eric said:

Sorry, not gonna happen.  Some people really, really, really like their privacy. 😉

2 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I really struggle with incense and I need to make sure I don’t touch my face accidentally when I’m handling it = stuffed nose and itchy eyes. 😔 Those true vintage decks tend to often smell of incense, from my experience 

Good thing I'm not selling any of mine, I run every single card through incense!  I bless every deck and go over every card of every deck.  And I use the Hem Indian gods sticks and they really smell strong!  I love them!

Posted (edited)

I actually agree with that on the baby powder. I'll just live with sticky cards. But I do use incense on my cards. I use Franckinsense, Frankenmuir, Muir and Dragonsblood. I wear dragons blood a lot also. I meditate with my cards and I rub each one, routinely do interviews with them, my University deck still is the one that has come out the strongest, and also I have a very beat up RWS that still does high in the interview and has strong energy. In fact tonight, Im going to bless my cards again. 

Edited by Eric

7 hours ago, katrinka said:

Mine isn't sticky, either, and it's definitely a later one since the box is identical to the one I had years ago. But if it was sticky, I'd just throw some fanning powder on it and keep using it.

Raggy, it sounds like that deck needs some serious airing out, for as long as it takes!

I’ve had it for maybe two years now and tried everything. I can’t keep it out for too long because then the air around it start to smell incense and I get issues. Really frustrating! I try to be careful because both my parents, my cousins, my uncle and my grandfather have severe asthma and allergies. And it started gradually and then broke out after things got too much. At this point I have allergies but no asthma and I do NOT want it to develop 😟

5 hours ago, Saturn Celeste said:

Good thing I'm not selling any of mine, I run every single card through incense!  I bless every deck and go over every card of every deck.  And I use the Hem Indian gods sticks and they really smell strong!  I love them!

I won’t suggest a trade with you anyway 😆 

8 hours ago, Eric said:

That University deck is my very special go-to-deck and I like using it. I've put it aside for now because I had a run of people flaking on appointments,

Wait, you mean that you switched decks because of like, bad mojo? (sorry, couldn't think of a better word 😆) I can't believe that those flaky people had anything to do with your nice deck though!

8 hours ago, Eric said:

so I picked up the full size Centennial Smith-Waite borderless deck and I like it a lot also. I'm using it for a reading tomorrow for the first time.

Nice! Yes, I know lots of people like that one. Hope you do too!

8 hours ago, Eric said:

The University deck is thin card stock and the cards do stick together and sort of smell like the box, but that's not so bad. I would really like to get another of these decks, I don't need it, and the prices keep me away. 

Yeah, most vintage decks tend to be a bit pricey unfortunately. But I seem to remember that you got yours pretty cheap? I know we discussed it in the de-enable thread that you had found a seller that had multiple vintage decks and didn't know or care about what they had. 

Posted (edited)

@Raggydoll

"Mojo" is a perfect word. It surely wasn't the cards fault. But as I like to say with some of the 5 cards, "change the routine, change the results." I'm finding people around here are very flakey. They don't even bother to call to cancel. They just don't show up. But I changed my mind today and used the University deck. I've had that particular deck for a long time. I found an antique shop that had a shelf of tarot cards. I bought one Waite deck that had the Park Ave. address. There was a University deck that I wanted as a second, just to have, and I didn't really need it so thats why I went to the de-enable thread. So I have a total of 5 Smith-Waite decks, and 5 TdM decks. And in all honesty, I like the TdM's better. I get thrown with the PIP pictures on Waites decks for some reason, and I learned tarot on a TdM deck. That translation thread that was going was excellent and it gave me a real fire to get back into my TdM's. And I'd like to get one of these historical TdM decks, however I can't find one I really identify with. Something about all those Dra faces on the old ones from the 16/1700's really depresses me. It's strange. I believe there's only one person in America who sells them and they don't answer their phone and only take PayPal.

But, there's something about that University deck that just draws me to it. 

Edited by Eric

I know Us games has stocked some of Yves Reynauds decks in the past, that’s how I got mine. Like the Claude burdel and Francois henri (and the first edition of Pierre Madenié that’s now sold out). And I believe there are Americans places that stock Robledo decks? Plus you can try an ‘ISO’ (in search of) at the trade/sell section of the forum.