Tarot Tents for Festivals

HermitWriter

HermitWriter

Howdy Tarot Fam! I was wondering if any of you ever read at events like Renaissance Festivals or other similar fairs. Do you have any recommendations for type of canopy / vendor tent to use? Any decorating tips? My wife and I are thinking of doing a booth at a small-ish local Ren Fest (small in that it only runs two weekends), and vendors are expected to bring their own set-up. So I figured I'd look to you all for some advice. Thanks in advance!

Saturn Celeste
29 minutes ago, HermitWriter said:

Howdy Tarot Fam! I was wondering if any of you ever read at events like Renaissance Festivals or other similar fairs. Do you have any recommendations for type of canopy / vendor tent to use? Any decorating tips? My wife and I are thinking of doing a booth at a small-ish local Ren Fest (small in that it only runs two weekends), and vendors are expected to bring their own set-up. So I figured I'd look to you all for some advice. Thanks in advance!

@HOLMES does!  He has a tent and just bought an awesome sign for his set up!  This is so exciting, HW!!!  Take pictures!

I have a friend that does craft shows selling crafts but the set up is much the same. She has a pop-up 10 x 10. That's usually the spaces these things allocate. You'd probably only need one long table and some folding chairs. And signage, people need to know what you are doing. Make sure you have something to weigh down your tent pegs. Sometimes things can get windy and pull those stakes up! As far as decoration, you'd have to decide how vested you are in doing those type things. My friend has a banner she stretches across the front, but I'm not sure what she paid for it. It seems you'd want to do something in keeping with the theme of the event. A Ren Faire sounds like a blast and would be a good fit for readings. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

https://www.thetarotforum.com/forums/topic/7659-asking-for-light-prayers-and-good-thought-for-pow-wow-readings-2019/?do=findComment&comment=113456

this brings you to the photo..

the banner is 6 feet length 2.5 feet height. in retrospect I should of made it  may 1.5 feet. eheh 

the banner cost me 120 Canadian and took abut 2 weeks to make . 

the canopy is just your 88 dollar canopy/gazebo you buy at Walmart. 

I brought an extra sunwall coeman off amazon for event.  first time using it.. 

the next day we took off the string on the side,, tighten it up at the top,, so people walked around the sign on other side.

the tarot cards were just stock tarot images the printers had,,  when they sent me the proof,,i asked for a different card on the left, and to make holmes HOLMES. 

the round table is one they got at Canadian tire,, it been about 6 years now.

the red table cloth is just table cloth we got at Walmart. 

the stand alone sign I paid about 110 dollars ,, 

years ago,, it is double sided  with the side you can't see is black with yellow writing and some cards.. 

I switch it back and forth ,, day light, dark,, night time light side that you see there. 

the reason you see all the chairs around me is,, I have a close but big family,, and I don't drive so my mom has driven me to all my events since we started..

so when they were younger they would go to listen to music at the fair,, and at the pow wow,,but since my mom is now handicapped,, they just sit at the side the last couple of years. 

I don't have any thing on the table besides my cards.. one time I brought a brunch of books,,and for some reason that was the year I did horrible. plus it is a inconvience.

for you depending on your independence, ,funds, time constraint you could fine these idea..

I got the sign after I saw someone post their set up at the tarot nerds, and in them they had a big yellow banner across the top, and a sign hanging from their table. 

(friends told me to get a hanging sign for a year and half at event). 

I saw a person use a trailer for their set up. they drive it up.. and then read from there. 

if you see the cinder block at the bottom. , we always have trouble with the wind attempting to blow away the gazebo.. 

so last fall we had cinder blocks which we put over the bottom and we tie the gazebo to. 

Edited by HOLMES

HermitWriter

Thank you @HOLMES for the info and pictures! That's pretty much the kind of tent I'm looking at. Thank you as well, @JustPeachy 🙂 Weights are definitely a must for most of the events around here. I'll have to look into banner companies as well. I'm not sure if the fair I'm looking at allows placard signs or not; I don't remember seeing any when I attended as a guest this spring.

The Ren Fair I'm looking at isn't until next May, @Saturn Celeste, but I'll be sure to post pics! If I get enough equipment together in time, I may test run it in my yard this fall. Who knows, maybe we'll add it to our Halloween repertoire. We tend to maybe go a little overboard for that at the Hermit Household... I wonder what kind of crowd a tarot-reading T-Rex might draw??? An inflatable dino costume was last-year's offering, and even won a prize at the office 🙂 

This is a great topic for tarot readers. I plan on doing this next year also and I imagine a tent that stays down in the wind is very important! But there's also the concern if its a street fair and you're set up on asphalt. 

HermitWriter

@Eric, the canopies I'm looking at I believe are weighted down by weight bags, so they should work on paved surfaces or areas where stakes are prohibited. Most sites suggest 40 lbs per leg, and I believe that is the requirement and the faire we're looking at. I forget what the wind-rating is for that. I assume the quality of canopy material also comes into play when determining that. 

Have you done a faire or festival before? I've done informal readings at writers' conferences, so this will be a new adventure for me.

23 minutes ago, HermitWriter said:

Have you done a faire or festival before? I've done informal readings at writers' conferences, so this will be a new adventure for me.

I've done festivals before but as concession. We also had a pop up and used plain 'ol sand bags that seemed to work pretty good if I remember correctly.

I've never done fairs or outdoor festivals myself. I have to pass on a fair Labor Day weekend because I'm going to see family. But they are on the business plan outline for next year, year two.

Getting a canopy with weight bags is an excellent idea and saves a lot of effort having to slumber around cement blocks. In a strong wind stakes might not even work if wind gets underneath. Both might actually help. It's better to go all out for safety reasons. Also, something to hold cards down in the wind. 

When I used to do all the fairs I had a white show tent with the side walls, decorated it with several large shawls/ with sun and moon artwork on it and a sign outside with the name of my business.

I also had several cork boards with information about  me and how I do readings, testimonials, prices etc. Then inside I had 1 decorated table set up with different decks I use and some books about Tarot and a few illustrated spreads I offer and of course a line -up sheet with time slots , where people can sign in to get in line. When one of my students was with me, she would be there do 1 card oracle readings for the people that are signed up and waiting and also keep the flow smooth and supply me with nibbles and something to drink, to keep my throat happy... Toooooo much talking, you know.....

Sometimes, here in Bracebridge at the fairs We had our JShow tents with our hand crafted jewellery set up with my husband selling there and me- away from all the noise and activity under a shady Tree with my reading table.

Pics of my reading tent are on my oooooold dead pooooter, but here is one form me under the trees.

Clients usually are not shown, unless they are popular public figures like our Mayors or the Minister of Indian and Northern Affairs or so....

1127851484_DSCN6874(300x225).jpg.9f8c2da0c5f8b75a9443e65476693e06.jpg

22 minutes ago, JustPeachy said:

@Mi-Shell You look "wigged out" there.

Hi! 🙂

I do not know, what "wigged out" means. 

I do have long braids, that go to my hips. It is the custom of my Siberian indigenous father. To honor him and my Clan I always wear an Owl feather.....?!

Which Ren Faire is local to you, HermitWriter? 

I bought my original gazebo to be used as a tarot tent. Though nowadays, I use it for a shop for selling my art at Renaissance Faires. I love it because its fairly easy to set up, and has shelves in the corners and a cool wrought iron design. 

I painted moons and stars on the top and the canvas sides.

Somewhere I still have the photos of when I used it for doing readings, and it was great fun.

I will see if I can find them!

Found the photos! These are from 2010!

The original gazebo was a steal at Target. Lasted 6 years, with replacement parts, and survived multiple tornados, high winds and micro bursts. 

Bought a new one at Aldi that is very similar design, and what I use currently.

The canvas sides were bought extra. Stencils and cans of spray paint did the decorating.and I painted the banners too.

28493_126030444082856_1153419_n.jpg

28493_126030430749524_364467_n.jpg

37690_10150235058190564_6645546_n.jpg

HermitWriter

@Mi-Shell and @Chronata, those are lovely tents! I love the shawls and table decorations. Thank you so much for sharing. Those both look like lovely spaces to get a reading 🙂 I have 3 faires in close proximity (less than 2-hours drive): the PA Renaissance Faire, the Maryland Renaissance Festival, and the Philadelphia Renaissance Faire. I'm hoping to go to the last one, because it's in the spring, is MUCH closer than the other two, and is also smaller (running only 2 weekends). it's also a bit newer, and this year I did not see any readers there. So fingers crossed! The table fee I believe is $350 total for the two weekends, which currently fits my budget, though I'm not sure if that is considered high or not. I'm not sure about needing a vendor license though; the city of Philly requires one, but the faire is held in a fort that dates back to the American Revolution (so we really get to blend our time periods...). But that's a question for our accountant.

@HermitWriter cool! 

I'm sitting in a campground right now, working on stuff for my last weekend at Great Lakes Medieval Faire in Ohio!

I hear good things on the circuit about the Philadelphia show. That is a pretty good price for two weekends as well! Because its pretty new, you can establish yourself as THE reader...although friendly competition isn't a bad thing either!

I've done multiple faires as a vendor, just about everywhere, and I have never been asked for a vendor's licence...although in some shows I need to show proof of insurance.

If you ever have any questions about being a faire reader, ( or even just Ren faires in general...its how I make my living!)I am always open about my insights and experiences! Let me know!

Also...you probably want to avoid the PA show...for...lots of reasons, not the least of which it's 13 freaking weeks, and they want vendors there the whole run! Also...pricey and difficult to get into!

Oh! nice to see your outfit and tent, Chronata! ♥

I do not do any Ren fairs, here it is much more down to earth and people know me from my shamanic practice and teaching shamanism in towns and NA traditions in schools. so they mostly come for rather serious advice and health readings. 

I sometimes also read for charity events, but these are mostly inside a convention center or community center, where I do not need a tent. 

Oh! 

No no stress at all, just sitting there and discussing card s with a sitter, which is not on the picture - for obvious reasons.

I think it is always good to have your business licence ready, on shows and fairs especially on the Fridays before 4.00pm the tax people are known to show up and check vendors and the health inspector most likely will show up to check the food vendors and their products and setup/ refrigeration etc.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.