Joan Marie

Tarot On Tv

Joan Marie

I thought it was interesting that in the newly released seasons of Orange is the new Black and GLOW, that the main characters in each show have an episode where they get a tarot reading. 

Bodhiseed

What decks did they use? I noticed on a recent episode of "The In Between" they used the Giant Rider Waite. 

Saturn Celeste

What a great topic!  It seems I've seen something fairly recently but I can't remember. :balloon_emb:

Joan Marie
1 hour ago, Bodhiseed said:

What decks did they use? I noticed on a recent episode of "The In Between" they used the Giant Rider Waite. 

I have to check, but it seems they were both using RWS, not sure which version. I'll peek later and verify.

Joan Marie

I just remembered, in the movie "Wine Country" which just came out recently, a bunch of women go for a weekend in Napa Valley and one hires a Tarot reader to read for the group. 

I kind of liked that one because the actress who played the reader was a very real person, not a stereotype of a tarot reader.  It was a pretty long and very funny scene. She was very straight with them, told them things they did not want to hear. 

Again, my memory isn't so good, but I think it was RWS. 

Saturn Celeste

I just had a thought on using the RW deck for film.  It's most likely because the deck is in the public domain.  If they used a deck that the creator is still alive, they might have to pay extra royalties and such so RW is a safe deck to use.  There was an old anime, Escaflowne that was about a girl that read the tarot.  It was a special deck made for the series and I'm really lucky to have one!  It's not a complete deck.  It does have the 22 majors though.  And there was an HBO show Carnivale that was so awesome that used a tarot but I've not been able to find the deck they used.

Joan Marie
Posted (edited)

This is a brilliant use of tarot in a film, it's the opening credit sequence from one my all time favourite films, Agnes Varda's Cleo from 5 to 7.

Really check this out:  

And please, do it justice, watch it full screen if you can. 

Edited by Joan Marie

Morsoth
Posted (edited)

Oh wow, thanks for the clip Joan Marie! Now I need to watch Cleo from 5 to 7, even if it's not a movie about Tarot. I love French movies! I also love seen tarot cards in movies, or imagery related to Tarot (like The Ninth Gate).

Some years ago, I saw a TV series (or a movie?) with one tarot casting scene that was taking part in a carriage. I'm pretty sure it was a period movie/series, and I remember that the deck looked aged/distressed. However, I never noted the title and now there is no way I can ever re-watch that scene again...

Edited by Morsoth

Morsoth
Posted (edited)

This thread is fun, and wanted to find more example because I love movies (one of my 3 passions, along with Tarot and comic books). So, here we go:

Things You Can Tell Just by Looking at Her (1999):

Now and Then (1995)

Teen Witch (1989)

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

Live and Let Die (1973)

Night Tide (1961)

Mad Men - S02E12 (2008)

Jessabelle (2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tax5ajZYsY (the clip cannot be embedded)

Nighty Night (2004)

The Leopard Man (1943)

Carnivàle (2003-2005)

Edited by Morsoth

Raggydoll

They featured tarot cards several times on the British ‘Endeavor’ (young Inspector Morse). They also showed a spread that was a bit uncommon. 

Saturn Celeste

@Morsoth Wonderful list, thank you for taking the time!!! :dancing-cat:

Joan Marie

The Night Tide clip is brilliant. 

Flaxen

The TV adaption of ‘Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell’ also featured tarot. One of the characters reads a TdM style deck. It’s wonderfully aged. 

katrinka
Posted (edited)

We're doing movies, too? Well, in that case:

Marlene Dietrich and Orson Welles in A Touch of Evil

Joan Blondell and Tyrone Power in Nightmare Alley

Edited by katrinka

bastetly

Nightmare Alley:  tarrit tarrit tarrit  that's funny katrinka 😄

Raggydoll

Has anyone mentioned the Korean tv series Mawang/Lucifer where they feature Stella's tarot as part of the main plot? I think its well worth a mention because that's where I fell madly in love with that deck. (Plus I got really interested in the topic of psychometry). The whole series - 22 episodes I believe - is available for free on youtube with english subtitles, for those interested. Here's the first one:

KevinM

What a fun topic.

I was introduced to tarot cards at the age of 12 or 13 while watching an episode of a soap opera titled, Sunset Beach, which features a fortune-teller named Carmen Torres.

The following music video features two tarot cards (The Lover and Judgement) and several acts of prayer in the context of some form of Voodoo:

Regards

KevinM

katrinka
6 hours ago, bastetly said:

Nightmare Alley:  tarrit tarrit tarrit  that's funny katrinka 😄

It's a good thing this song came out, or I'd have been saying tarrit too! :grin:

gregory
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

They featured tarot cards several times on the British ‘Endeavor’ (young Inspector Morse). They also showed a spread that was a bit uncommon. 

Indeed they did. Waite-Smith, and very interesting.

15 hours ago, Flaxen said:

The TV adaption of ‘Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell’ also featured tarot. One of the characters reads a TdM style deck. It’s wonderfully aged. 

Yes, it is. I tried to collect them all at one point.

Mo, on EastEnders, did readings for a while - no-one figured out which deck it was, though.

Movies - don't forget the best TAROT one of all time - The Red Violin. Though people disagree on how good the reader was.

https://screenstarr.wordpress.com/tarot-in-the-cinema-the-red-violin/

Mary Greer lists a shedload:

https://marykgreer.com/2008/10/21/tv-movie-tarot-watch-list/#more-972

Edited by gregory

DanielJUK
Posted (edited)

My fave was the classic clip in Father Ted from the very first episode. They go to see a Tarot Reader in a tent in "Funland" in a field. Dougal convinces Father Ted to go and get a reading, the tarot reader uses a Marseilles deck and Ted pulls out 3 Death (La morte) cards from the shuffled deck which leads to the line from the reader "This is really weird! There's only supposed to be one in every pack!"

There is a discussion thread on AT about it here and they have been busy deleting clips of it from video sites, someone has a too short clip of the scene on youtube but the episode is on daily motion here - the tarot part begins at 18:30

Edited by DanielJUK

Flaxen
9 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

My fave was the classic clip in Father Ted from the very first episode. They go to see a Tarot Reader in a tent in "Funland" in a field. Dougal convinces Father Ted to go and get a reading, the tarot reader uses a Marseilles deck and Ted pulls out 3 Death (La morte) cards from the shuffled deck which leads to the line from the reader "This is really weird! There's only supposed to be one in every pack!"

I love Father Ted! How could I have forgotten that classic clip...

gregory

That's what made nisaba buy the deck shown (Fournier Marseille.)

DanielJUK
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KevinM said:

What a fun topic.

I was introduced to tarot cards at the age of 12 or 13 while watching an episode of a soap opera titled, Sunset Beach, which features a fortune-teller named Carmen Torres.

The following music video features two tarot cards (The Lover and Judgement) and several acts of prayer in the context of some form of Voodoo:

Regards

KevinM

I really miss Sunset Beach, it was the most trashy thing I have ever seen but I miss it. A channel brought it in the UK and hated the really long end credits (which lasted about 2 mins at the end with beach scenes) and so an announcer would do an indepth sarcastic discussion of the episode over the end credits to fill time, it became legendary! You can still find people selling home made DVD's made of the series on auction sites for the humorous analysis at the end of the episode as was originally shown here 🤣

Madonna has used tarot many times in her work, I am not sure if she is a regular user or has a professional she goes to for readings but she definitely lives her life by astrology and Kabbalah rules, she releases and does things on certain dates and she doesn't work Fridays very much (she rarely rarely does shows on Fridays). She seems to have separated herself from the weird celeb loved Kabbalah Centre but still doesn't really do things on Fridays in public. Anyway two other tarot related things she did....

Versace Campaign Shoot - Summer 1995 (sadly it's really hard to see what deck it is)

spacer.png

Video Backdrop to Hollywood on the Re-Invention Tour 2004.

This was an intermission to change between two sections and the video screens show merging decks which I found fascinating at the time, with the images coming to life. Apparently the deck is the Tarocchi Rider Waite.

Full Song (tarot in the background) -

and just the backdrop -

Edited by DanielJUK