ashwsh

Carrying Cards With You

Hi,

I have a question, does carrying specific cards with you help at all.

I read somewhere, that if you carry a card you wish to draw energy from, they help you with it.

For eg: carry Ace of wands, if you wish to communicate your thoughts well in a meeting.

Any body with such experiences? please share

Regards

Ashwsh

The last couple of weeks I have tried to "carry" one card in my mind during they day and it really works. It's like having a large bowl of extra energy. Though I don't have the card physically with me.

Katie

This is a cool question! Like @Katie, I'll often mentally "carry" a card during each day, especially if I know I'm doing something that that card's specific energies would help with. I often will pick one of my four signifier cards, too, since i have one for work, art, relationships, and a general embodiment of my core energies. So depending on the day, if I know I'm gonna be spending it with friends or family, or working, or creating, I might focus on one of those cards especially.

Posted (edited)

Very interesting topic! I'd love to learn more about the process of mentally carrying a card with you - how does that work? What does it look like? Is there a certain procedure to follow?

I've carried a deck around with me, but never a single card for fear of damage.

Edited by Starlight

55 minutes ago, Starlight said:

Very interesting topic! I'd love to learn more about the process of mentally carrying a card with you - how does that work? What does it look like? Is there a certain procedure to follow?

I've carried a deck around with me, but never a single card for fear of damage.

For fear of LOSS, me !

What an interesting question @ashwsh. I usually carry a mini RWS deck, in case I've got some free time. Sometimes I study cards, or try new spreads... a single card would be impossible, it would end up lost. 😁

I had never heard about mentally carrying a card, what is it about? Sounds interesting...

My understanding is that "mentally carrying a card" is a visualization technique. You would randomly or deliberately select a card (probably the latter if you're looking for specific energy to work with), study it for as long as it takes for you to be able to recall it whenever you want, and then mentally focus on the image of that card when you feel it would be helpful. So if you're about to take a test, you might focus on The High Priestess, and hope that she will reveal all the answers to you (good luck... LOL). Or (to use ashwsh's example) maybe you have to make a presentation at work. You might picture that Ace of wands, or maybe focus on the Emperor or one of the Kings and draw strength from their ability to communicate their wills. That sort of thing. It's also a good technique for those of us who are concerned about losing or damaging a single card.

To answer @ashwsh: I don't carry a single loose card with me. Like others, I usually try to have a deck I'm in tune with. I like the mental image technique as well (among other reasons, it helps with card recall) for those times / places where a full deck can't easily be carried. I suspect that another option would be to make use of technology and have a few choice images on your phone, tablet, or computer that you could pull up discretely as needed.

@Starlight and @Eamane the process I use to mentally "carry" cards is similar to what @HermitWriter has described, yes! As some deeper examples, if I know I'm going to be spending a lot of time with my close friends today, I want to make sure that I can be my most loving and emotionally connected self with them. But let's just say I've been having a rough week and getting into a headspace like that might be tough, then I'd decide to "carry" the Queen of Cups with me (that's my personal choice but of course different cards for different people). So I would go through my deck (or my most personal deck if I have multiple), pick out the Queen of Cups from the bunch and sit for a moment, forming the intention in my mind of embodying the traits it has that I want to make sure I use effectively today. Then I just go about my day, and when it strikes me, remind myself of the card, either visualizing it, or just thinking the name. I do this throughout the day as a reminder so that if something comes up in the day that is an obstacle to this intention, it's easier to bring the card up in my mind since I've been pulling it out - so to speak - all day. After a while, if I know the card inside and out, I might not even need to go to the deck, only start my day off visualizing it and setting the intention already.

It's a similar reason why some Christians have the motto "What would Jesus do?". When you have a figure in your mind that represents traits you admire or wish to embody, it's much easier to put those traits into action because you have a clear example of how to do it. You might say to yourself "I want to be fun and light-hearted today", but those words don't fully embody how you want to be, just what you want to be. But if you say "I want to be like The Sun today" your subconscious will have a much easier time understanding how you want to be, because if you know The Sun card well, you understand its traits and how they show up in the world. It's like the difference between telling a child who's walking across a slippery floor "Be careful", and telling the child walking across the slippery floor "Be careful by walking slowly and making sure your feet are planted with every step." Not just the what but the how!

Posted (edited)

Yes, agree on everyone's description of it. And @zedekiel's way of doing it is exactly what I mean. I too think it works because of "how", and that the subconcious is better "informed". It may also keep negative automatic thoughts (such as perhaps "cathastrophic scenarios") back which will result in less waste of energy.

It is also a little fun (giggling within myself) to have this rather intense mental image in focus without anyone around (at work for example) knowing it.

Katie

Edited by Katie

I do a daily draw and look up it's meaning in the morning, and think about the card at times during the day. But what I find happening to me most often is seeing "card situations". For example, a friend tells me she couldn't sleep last night then proceeds to say that she's worried about her child/husband/etc. and my mind yells 9/swords or someone is complaining about being unable to decide what to do and runs over all of their options, yet feels overwhelmed and immediately my mind screams 7/cups. It's weird but it's kind of fun too.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HermitWriter said:

My understanding is that "mentally carrying a card" is a visualization technique. You would randomly or deliberately select a card (probably the latter if you're looking for specific energy to work with), study it for as long as it takes for you to be able to recall it whenever you want, and then mentally focus on the image of that card when you feel it would be helpful. So if you're about to take a test, you might focus on The High Priestess, and hope that she will reveal all the answers to you (good luck... LOL). Or (to use ashwsh's example) maybe you have to make a presentation at work. You might picture that Ace of wands, or maybe focus on the Emperor or one of the Kings and draw strength from their ability to communicate their wills. That sort of thing. It's also a good technique for those of us who are concerned about losing or damaging a single card.

To answer @ashwsh: I don't carry a single loose card with me. Like others, I usually try to have a deck I'm in tune with. I like the mental image technique as well (among other reasons, it helps with card recall) for those times / places where a full deck can't easily be carried. I suspect that another option would be to make use of technology and have a few choice images on your phone, tablet, or computer that you could pull up discretely as needed.

I often take a picture of a card and use it as the lock-screen on my phone. Every time I pick up my phone, it's there. Every now and then I want to carry a card with me but I, too, worry about damage and loss. At home I sometimes prop a card (or several of the same card from different decks) on my desk so they are watching my progress. I have a little shelf above my workspace where they fit nicely and I don't have to worry about them falling over or being messed with.

I also visualize because when I forget all the above, my mind is always with me. 😄 I just picture the card and the details I remember. If I don't get everything it must not be important at that time because our subconscious has a way of latching onto what we need to see.

Edited by AnomalyTempest

13 hours ago, HermitWriter said:

My understanding is that "mentally carrying a card" is a visualization technique. You would randomly or deliberately select a card (probably the latter if you're looking for specific energy to work with), study it for as long as it takes for you to be able to recall it whenever you want, and then mentally focus on the image of that card when you feel it would be helpful.

12 hours ago, zedekiel said:

As some deeper examples, if I know I'm going to be spending a lot of time with my close friends today, I want to make sure that I can be my most loving and emotionally connected self with them. But let's just say I've been having a rough week and getting into a headspace like that might be tough, then I'd decide to "carry" the Queen of Cups with me (that's my personal choice but of course different cards for different people). So I would go through my deck (or my most personal deck if I have multiple), pick out the Queen of Cups from the bunch and sit for a moment, forming the intention in my mind of embodying the traits it has that I want to make sure I use effectively today. Then I just go about my day, and when it strikes me, remind myself of the card,

11 hours ago, Katie said:

I too think it works because of "how", and that the subconcious is better "informed". It may also keep negative automatic thoughts (such as perhaps "cathastrophic scenarios") back which will result in less waste of energy.

Thank you all for explaining your processes. It seems like a form of magic or alchemy (personal transformation) which, for me, relates to psychology (the science of why alchemy works). 

I'm going to have to try this!! It's an easy process, requires focus and determination, of course, but it has potential tangible real-world results.

8 hours ago, AnomalyTempest said:

I often take a picture of a card and use it as the lock-screen on my phone. Every time I pick up my phone, it's there.

That's a great idea, then I can carry the card with me to "top up" my visualisation skills. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, AnomalyTempest said:

I just picture the card and the details I remember. If I don't get everything it must not be important at that time because our subconscious has a way of latching onto what we need to see.

Good point. The details we remember are the details that are particularly important and relevant.

18 hours ago, JustPeachy said:

I do a daily draw and look up it's meaning in the morning, and think about the card at times during the day. But what I find happening to me most often is seeing "card situations". For example, a friend tells me she couldn't sleep last night then proceeds to say that she's worried about her child/husband/etc. and my mind yells 9/swords or someone is complaining about being unable to decide what to do and runs over all of their options, yet feels overwhelmed and immediately my mind screams 7/cups. It's weird but it's kind of fun too.

Haha, that's fun. I am also sometimes pick up situations that corresponds to a card I have drawn. I am planning on focus more on that type of association within soon.

9 hours ago, Starlight said:

Thank you all for explaining your processes. It seems like a form of magic or alchemy (personal transformation) which, for me, relates to psychology (the science of why alchemy works). 

I'm going to have to try this!! It's an easy process, requires focus and determination, of course, but it has potential tangible real-world results.

Psychology=the science of why alchemy works. That's a great way to put it, I'll remember that one 👍😄

Katie

On 8/14/2019 at 3:14 PM, JustPeachy said:

hahaha!  Welcome to my life!  I see everything as a tarot card!  I'll say to my son I'm having a 2 of Pentacles moment or I'm the Hermit today, leave me alone! lololol  I look at art and see everything converted to a tarot card.  Some people see dead people, I see tarot cards everywhere!  :78496:

And when I helped my son at a flea market I'd take a couple decks to work on while I was there but I'm no longer out of the house for any length of time so I no longer take my decks out of the house.  I will however take tarot books with me to read.  But my decks are all nice and safe at home.