Holy Grail Decks?

bookshop

On 8/30/2019 at 7:22 PM, bookshop said:

the Pam A wouldn't be a holy grail deck for me because I think I don't feel connected enough to the tarot tradition to want to own it just for its own sake. But many people obviously do. 

On 6/25/2020 at 7:41 AM, bookshop said:

I literally can't believe I said this, what were you thinking, me from a year ago....

😆 Bookshop - I thought everyone coveted the Pam A!

I waited to get my most coveted deck too long - the Vampires of the Eternal Night Kit in English. It went so quickly and all that was around for about a year longer was the Italian version.  I look on ebay now and then but haven't seen the kit, just the deck.

Edited by ballerina

My holy grail deck has been the Piatnik Wien for the longest time, I've been looking for it for ages but I am just not willing to pay >100 for a deck. Last week I was finally able to find it for a very affordable price.. only 15 euros! Unfortunately (of all cards) the Hermit is missing from the deck, but I guess that is a small price to pay. I'm sure I will make the deck complete one day 🙂

TarotHen

My holy grail deck is the Madam Lydia Wilhelmina deck. It doesn’t seem to be available anywhere...and I’ve spent many hours searching.

1 hour ago, TarotHen said:

My holy grail deck is the Madam Lydia Wilhelmina deck. It doesn’t seem to be available anywhere...and I’ve spent many hours searching.

I've tried to find this creator's TeaBats Lenormand deck as well, also with little success. Have you tried emailing the author to see if she has extra copies? atticcartomancy at gmail.com, apparently. — although the last update on her website says she's been dealing with congestive heart failure. I hope she's alright and recovering. 😞

TarotHen
8 hours ago, bookshop said:

I've tried to find this creator's TeaBats Lenormand deck as well, also with little success. Have you tried emailing the author to see if she has extra copies? atticcartomancy at gmail.com, apparently. — although the last update on her website says she's been dealing with congestive heart failure. I hope she's alright and recovering. 😞

I didn’t know that...I don’t want to be bothering her if she’s unwell. I hope she’s ok.

Niobium

Last post I saw on her blog, she seemed to be working on getting some of her decks up for sale again, so if you join her newsletter that's likely your best bet. I've been wanting the Alice in Wonderland style deck she does, and although I *could* get the shrinkwrap one on MPC I'm hopeful she'll produce it in a box again.

And, alas, my Holy Grail deck is the Idiosyncradeck. I keep missing out on snagging this one by mere weeks. UGH. I'm to the point where I think I need to write a special Google search scraper to keep an eye out for it. 😐

VioletEye
Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2020 at 5:16 PM, TarotHen said:

i took a quick look at her site - it is available as of june 8th:

https://atticcartomancy.com/shoppe/product/madam-lydia-wilhelminas-tarot-of-monsters-the-macabre-autumn-scenes-deck-with-book/

edited: oh, crap, it says out of stock. could it have sold out that quickly? here is the update:

https://atticcartomancy.com/shoppe/

Edited by VioletEye
TarotHen
2 hours ago, VioletEye said:

i took a quick look at her site - it is available as of june 8th:

https://atticcartomancy.com/shoppe/product/madam-lydia-wilhelminas-tarot-of-monsters-the-macabre-autumn-scenes-deck-with-book/

edited: oh, crap, it says out of stock. could it have sold out that quickly? here is the update:

https://atticcartomancy.com/shoppe/

Yes, out of stock already, sadly. I’ve signed up for the mailing list though so hopefully I’ll get notified when it becomes available again. Patience is not one of my virtues unfortunately 😂

TarotHen

I’m excited now - I contacted the creator and she told me she was putting up some more. I’ve just purchased a deck so Madam Lydia will be mine! (Does a little happy dance) If anyone is interested there were only three more in stock.

TarotHen
On 7/2/2020 at 12:36 AM, bookshop said:

The TeaBats Lenormand is available again too! 

• 2 weeks later...
TarotMuse

Mine would also be the late 1960's Albano Waite Tarot productions, i was told that the card stock and colours are far more superior then the later Albano decks. I'm not really fan of that shinny gloss that we get now. 

katrinka
32 minutes ago, TarotMuse said:

Mine would also be the late 1960's Albano Waite Tarot productions, i was told that the card stock and colours are far more superior then the later Albano decks. I'm not really fan of that shinny gloss that we get now. 

I got a very good price on a mini, and they seem to still have one left:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174152937612?ul_noapp=true

And yes, it's totally legit and authentic, despite being in near-mint condition. Sometimes we get lucky like that!

barkingdeer

I'll take the Murciano Tarocco, the Lebanese, and the J.K. Waite please!  Of those the Murciano would be the golden child -- it was listed on ebay last year but I snoozed on the bidding 😞.

TarotMuse
14 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I got a very good price on a mini, and they seem to still have one left:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174152937612?ul_noapp=true

And yes, it's totally legit and authentic, despite being in near-mint condition. Sometimes we get lucky like that!

Hey thanks for that link, i will go and check it out 

• 2 weeks later...

Ooo... This is an interesting topic.

I don't own enough decks to call myself a collector. But I have a very wealthy family friend who collects cars. Being a bit of a motor head myself, topic of conversation always seems to end up there. He wisely told me once, that once you reach a certain level there are two kinds of collectors on opposite sides of the spectrum. There is no personal judgement with either.

One who buys purely speculatively, carefully chosing that which has the best chance of being desirable to others. He (or she) often buys for the prestige of owning a rare car. He keeps it meticulously clean, doesn't let anyone touch it and barely uses it himself in order to keep the kms down. This person will probably only take it out once a year at a car show (but not let anyone get close enough for a proper look), and will sell it as soon as he can make an acceptable profit. 

And then one who buys for the love and joy of using his vehicle. He chooses the car that speaks to him, regardless of the engineering or design pedigree, or what others will think of it. He uses it everyday, and while he loves and nutures it - he gets the most out of it through sharing it's beauty with others. He'll let a small child sit in it, dose it at the traffic lights when they see someone admiring it, and not be afraid about changing something for fear it would no longer be concours. He will sell it when it is time to move on, and not a moment sooner. 

He says there is nothing really wrong with either strategy, as long as you are comfortable with it. But if you want the best of both worlds, you need to float somewhere in the middle.