Can Anyone Help Me Learn To Crystal Gaze?

Czenzi

This is a strange question, I know. I want to learn to scry, and even think I am being called to it, but I seem to also be blocked as to *how.* The thing is that I am not visual at all. I do meditate and I feel things and I sometimes know things, but I almost never get a visual cue. I don’t even remember my dreams. 

I have two small quartz balls (one smokey, one clear, both with some occlusions and 4-5 inches across). I also have some larger faceted crystals. I can get a larger ball if need be, but could only afford one of the glass or “reclaimed crystal ones.” 

Would someone be kind to to help me get started? How do I protect myself, any thing I need to know, stumbling blocks, etc.? Thank you so much.

You don't need anything larger. Try this, and give it plenty of time https://fennario.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/crystal-gazing/

I learned from a chapter in Zolar's Encyclopedia of Ancient and Forbidden Knowledge, lol. The book is flawed and the author plagiarized much of the content, but that particular chapter ("Using The Magic Mirror") works.
I haven't found any protection to be necessary. Crystal gazing is quite safe. The only stumbling block I've run into is that a lot of the images I get are very cryptic and the meaning only becomes clear much later.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:56 PM, katrinka said:

You don't need anything larger. Try this, and give it plenty of time https://fennario.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/crystal-gazing/

I learned from a chapter in Zolar's Encyclopedia of Ancient and Forbidden Knowledge, lol. The book is flawed and the author plagiarized much of the content, but that particular chapter ("Using The Magic Mirror") works.
I haven't found any protection to be necessary. Crystal gazing is quite safe. The only stumbling block I've run into is that a lot of the images I get are very cryptic and the meaning only becomes clear much later.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help. I am going to be trying soon. I will keep this thread updated a bit (though I really have no desire to “live tweet” my staring off into space.😝)

Do you like crystal gazing as a tool? What have you found is the difference between it and using another tool like cards or runes?

Also, the Smokey Quartz is less occluded and a bit bigger. The Clear Quartz one has more going on in the ball and is smaller by a little. Do you think it would make a difference which I use?

Edited by Czenzi

2 hours ago, Czenzi said:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help. I am going to be trying soon. I will keep this thread updated a bit (though I really have no desire to “live tweet” my staring off into space.😝)

Do "live tweet", or at least update, lol.
It's a fascinating subject, and largely unexplored. The current writings on the subject try to make it easy and accessible, and mostly talk about something called pareidolia. In other words, seeing a rectangular occlusion, for instance, and interpreting it as a "doorway" or similar. The problem is that next time you pick up that crystal, the same occlusion will be there. I talked about that a bit more here, and linked to some more old resources: https://fennario.wordpress.com/2015/01/11/inner-space-the-final-frontier/ (I got a bit snarkier on there and drew a parallel with Jesus on a slice of toast, but yeah...I stand by what I wrote.)

Actual crystal visions are definitely A Thing. But the writers who actually seem to recognize this all seem to have been active at least 100 years ago.  The thing is that those of us who are not Natural Born Psychics have to work at it, and work doesn't sell.

Do you like crystal gazing as a tool? What have you found is the difference between it and using another tool like cards or runes?

To be honest, cards and runes give much clearer answers, as a rule. It might be my own shortcomings, but for answering questions, I would definitely turn to cards or runes first.
Crystal gazing is more nebulous. The movement of clouds and shadows will definitely answer a yes or no question, and pretty colors are much more auspicious than ugly, muddy ones, but the actual visions I get are very difficult to interpret, and I've researched everything from tea leaf symbols to Jung over the years. Are the people I see ancestors, guides, random curious spirits who noticed me peering into their realm, or just something my subconscious dug out of the vaults? I never see people I know who have passed on, as much as I would love to. But I had a clear vision, pictures made up of silver light, not fleeting but allowing me to turn the sphere a bit, gently, and see the images from different angles. It was many years ago and I have yet to make sense of it or find meanings...but the silver lights are a peak experience, just seeing them. Maybe it doesn't have to mean anything. Maybe it's enough that I saw this.

That's how I approach it. It doesn't need to have a practical application. It's kind of miraculous that it is.

That's not to say that nobody can do anything beyond what I do. Tibetan monks found the current Dalai Lama by gazing into a lake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhamo_La-tso

And he was not the first to be found this way.

Due to the fact that it seems less likely to provide answers on tap than cards (but it's so BEYOND cards) I have to give it a lot more respect.
To be honest, I don't use it for client readings often because of this - I'm often asked some less-than-ethically-motivated questions.
I'm a pretty irreverent person, as a rule. But crystal gazing - whatever is at play with it - is definitely something to be respected.

Gazing, true scrying, whatever you want to call it, is a criminally neglected inquiry. And I am happy to see some interest in it.

Also, the Smokey Quartz is less occluded and a bit bigger. The Clear Quartz one has more going on in the ball and is smaller by a little. Do you think it would make a difference which I use?

With the lights properly dimmed, it shouldn't.
The main thing in my experience, and the old writings generally agree, is size. A three inch crystal is good. A little bit more or less is doable.
Too small makes it hard to keep your eyes on it, too big makes it hard to shut out reflections.

If the size is an issue, there are inexpensive solutions. Plain glass balls are not expensive. Palm stones are good. Some people can see in a black mirror (I can't, I need a clear depth.) But black mirrors can be made easily with a pane of glass and some spray paint. You can use an ordinary glass or bottle filled with water, too. Biddy Early used a bottle. No need to break the bank. 😉

Edited by katrinka

Thank you so much for this info. I am fine with the “nebulous.” I read cards decently and can use them for the practical questions if need be ( though I am admittedly terrible at reading for myself . . .). I want this more for developing myself. I’m not a “natural psychic” by any stretch, so I need to find ways to work on my skills. I will be sure to read up on everything. I’m so happy to know someone who does this. 😀

And I'm happy to see someone making a serious inquiry!
Whatever psychic potential you may possess, crystal gazing is considered one of the safest and most effective methods of tapping into it. Looking forward to discussing this further as time goes on!

I like to scry too but these days I mainly do it in my journeys. I had a crystal ball but it wasn’t really my thing. I now have an inner place (like a temple with a dedicated sacred space) where I go and scry into a black bowl of water. I usually have very vivid visions but like @katrinka said they can sometimes be hard to interpret. I find that this method is best for when I want to peek into the future and see a whole scenario. When there is context and a clear intention then it is usually not as confusing. But when I ask for guidance or insights then it is more metaphorical and ‘cryptic’ if you will. I do these type of journeys in the lower-world so I see the answers as coming from ancestors and/or ancient beings like stone spirits. I might be shown recently passed spirits but it’s not those I turn to for guidance then. I personally think it’s important to know where you go and who you go to, if you do that type of vision work. It’s a bit like in real life - you wouldn’t just randomly start knocking on doors to ask strangers on how to deal with delicate situations. But I realize that not everyone have the same world view and that they might do things very differently. So I’m not professing to have the ‘right’ way, just a way that works for me. I also channel messages from ‘above’ (the upper spirit realm) especially in card readings and that’s a bit different too. But that’s not the topic here so I won’t go into it ☺️ I look forward to hearing more views and experiences on scrying.  

5 hours ago, katrinka said:

... a pretty irreverent person, as a rule. But crystal gazing ... is definitely something to be respected.

Yes, when I hear you say something like that, I sit up and take notice!

Edited by devin

53 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I like to scry too but these days I mainly do it in my journeys. I had a crystal ball but it wasn’t really my thing. I now have an inner place (like a temple with a dedicated sacred space) where I go and scry into a black bowl of water. I usually have very vivid visions but like @katrinka said they can sometimes be hard to interpret. I find that this method is best for when I want to peek into the future and see a whole scenario. When there is context and a clear intention then it is usually not as confusing. But when I ask for guidance or insights then it is more metaphorical and ‘cryptic’ if you will. I do these type of journeys in the lower-world so I see the answers as coming from ancestors and/or ancient beings like stone spirits. I might be shown recently passed spirits but it’s not those I turn to for guidance then. I personally think it’s important to know where you go and who you go to, if you do that type of vision work. It’s a bit like in real life - you wouldn’t just randomly start knocking on doors to ask strangers on how to deal with delicate situations. But I realize that not everyone have the same world view and that they might do things very differently. So I’m not professing to have the ‘right’ way, just a way that works for me. I also channel messages from ‘above’ (the upper spirit realm) especially in card readings and that’s a bit different too. But that’s not the topic here so I won’t go into it ☺️ I look forward to hearing more views and experiences on scrying.  

I wouldn't know how to begin to ensure that I was contacting this or that world, or getting this or that type of spirit. I don't really count on getting guidance, though...it's more like hopping online. "Let's see who's on facebook. tonight." Sometimes I get something important. But most of the time it's just chatter, memes, and kvetching. It's an experimental exercise for me, I'm more psychonaut than psychic. 😉

22 minutes ago, devin said:

Yes, when I hear you say something like that, I sit up and take notice!

I've seen things. But no worries.

I'm still me. ------------------------------>Capture.PNG.fd4e334cec70779e38daed8de43cc6f4.PNG

12 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I wouldn't know how to begin to ensure that I was contacting this or that world, or getting this or that type of spirit. I don't really count on getting guidance, though...it's more like hopping online. "Let's see who's on facebook. tonight." Sometimes I get something important. But most of the time it's just chatter, memes, and kvetching. It's an experimental exercise for me, I'm more psychonaut than psychic. 😉

I've seen things. But no worries.

Psychonaut! Love it!😁

I don’t think anyone needs to be psychic to scry or to journey. I started out using guided meditations and I also read some books to understand the technique. Then I decided to simply explore and trust my intuition, so I shaped my own methods. 

12 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I'm still me. ------------------------------>Capture.PNG.fd4e334cec70779e38daed8de43cc6f4.PNG

Phew! Good to know! But that frown on your face makes me wonder - is there something troubling you? Or is it just gas? ☺️

Traditionally you use two candles as lighting and move them around the crystal or stone you want to gaze in to, the idea is the light helps you to gaze. It's really fun to try it but it really strains your eyes and I find it exhausting. My tips are to think of this as an experiment and do it often but for short periods of time, like maybe max 15 mins a session because again about the eye strain.

The idea is to gaze into it but then it becomes cloudy or misty and you almost see through it and see symbols or pictures but to do this you are adjusting your eye sight to not see directly, almost looking through it like I say.

I think it's an extremely hard skill and always have a note pad and pen to hand, I have got images from crystals but it is really not the easiest divining method. I found for myself that it is easier to do a very deep meditation and to look at images in my third eye, bypassing the attempt to look into the crystal. But everyone is different and have different experiences.

I've never found it hard to interpret the symbols though, I have done it for myself and for others and the symbols always have a meaning, it's just the focussing (or maybe not focussing but blurring) to get the symbols 🤣 If you get symbols you can get look them up on dream and sprit guide type websites on google. I have had symbols like a roaring chariot, rainbow ankh and for other people an image that tuned out to be a gun safe and also another was a twisting constricting vine. They were quite obvious symbols which had meaning to the person. But symbol analysis is really my favourite thing 🙂

Think of this as experimental though, make it work best for you and keep it short but maybe try every day, something like that 🙂

No gas, no nose nipping. It's the Husky equivalent of raising one eyebrow. "Skeptical Dog is fraught with skepticism." :grin:

DanielJUK, I've never been able to get results with candles anywhere in the room. The flickering is disruptive for me. But I learned from older instructions and candles aren't mentioned. (So I'm not sure how traditional they really are.) Others seem to do OK with them, so it might come down to how you trained to begin with. I suspect that's why I need a clear depth rather than a black mirror, too. We're training our minds to react to something under very specific conditions. Consistency is key with that kind of thing.

I often get something in between the "clouds and stars" stage and the clear images, for a brief moment everything goes totally black. Not just the ball, but everything. Some writers have theorized that when this happens, we've "paralyzed the optic nerve" allowing visions to come from a nonphysical place, but that sounds like pseudoscience to me. But I don't know why it happens, or how common it is. I mention it only because I don't want new scryers freaking out when it happens and quitting. It's normal, you won't go blind, and some writers say that it's a sign that you do indeed "possess the faculty" and can proceed with confidence. 😉

This is all fascinating and thank you for the conversation. (Also, I love skeptical spitz breeds.) 

My first attempts have been uneventful, but I’m not deterred. I assume it takes time, like anything. I actually am decent at a “soft focus” already as I meditate. Strangely, as a kid in Catholic school, I accidentally learned some of the techniques you all are mentioning. I wasn’t baptized yet and sat behind the votive stand in the choir stalls for most of the mass. I used to gaze on the candle flames twice a week while my classmates took communion. I had no idea that it was a “thing,” but I was looking through the flame so to speak, so there you go. 😜 

I'm also happy to see this thread, although it seems to have gone a bit dormant. I first encountered scrying as "astral travel" or "scrying in the spirit vision" in my studies of Golden-Dawn Hermeticism, which was fraught with warnings about "inimical elementals" and other spirits with mischievous or even malicious intent ("something to be respected" for sure). "Pathworking" on the Tree of Life was the way to do it, and the goal wasn't divination but self-discovery using "Creative Visualization" ("psychonaut" is a good word for it). I was never spectacular at it; I recently observed in my blog post "Other Worlds": "When I consciously attempt to “pierce the Veil” I usually feel like I’m pushing against an extremely tough, unyielding membrane or dragging my feet in slow motion through a tar-pit. It may be relevant that I’ve never been a very good hypnotism or “past-life experience” subject either." I guess it's an unavoidable hazard of being a "mystical literalist."

I tried Inner Guide Meditation back in the early '80s, but it was definitely a product of its time (although it seems that there is a "21st Century update" that is a bit less woo-woo as far as I can tell at a casual glance). I also intended to make a magic mirror using Scott Cunningham's instructions but never did. Then I decided to get a crystal ball. As @katrinka mentioned, reflection has been a problem; if there is too much light in the room it's distracting, and if there is too little, I might just as well be scrying the backs of my eyelids like a movie screen. (My experience of eyestrain and fatigue was pretty much like Daniel's, although at its best it's not supposed to affect us like that.) I got Uma Silbey's book Crystal Ball Gazing, which helped some in understanding the basics, but ultimately it's a personal voyage. I intend to get back to it (and there seems to be some useful advice here), but I have to agree that cards are a more reliable - if much different - mode of exploration.

Edited by Barleywine

I'll bet this would kickstart it:

Just don't do it high like the guy in Altered States, lol. I wish I could find one of those tanks myself. It sounds wonderful.

2 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I'll bet this would kickstart it:

Just don't do it high like the guy in Altered States, lol. I wish I could find one of those tanks myself. It sounds wonderful.

Yes, I watched some of this when you mentioned Balthazar yesterday. Sensory deprivation tanks are the device at the heart of Tad Williams' Otherland book series.