archimedea

Outdoors Critters: Fear As an Obstacle To Connection

archimedea

I often feel frustration with the 'green witch' tradition being so Eurocentric. Movies particularly frustrate me - people walking barefoot on grass, walking through the forest, climbing trees. Here, if you walk barefoot or climb anything, you'll be bitten. There are spiders everywhere. I'm fairly sure there's a snake under the house.

I love being outside, but increasingly I stay indoors. How do you connect with nature when you're afraid of it?

DanielJUK

can you have some nature in your home, like a plant you keep alive or small tree? that is a connection. A lot of people here have an altar in a quiet corner of their home, they put a flowering branch of a tree or some flowers currently blooming on their altar. You can make a little connection by just bringing some nature in your home. A biologist writer I enjoy in the UK made a tiny little moss garden type thing in a glass little container he bought, it was so easy to make and you just mist it every so often with a spray of water. I think you can make a connection by just the intention of it and appreciate what you do have.

I feel spoilt now walking barefoot in the grass in the garden in safety 🙂

archimedea
1 hour ago, DanielJUK said:

can you have some nature in your home, ....

I feel spoilt now walking barefoot in the grass in the garden in safety 🙂

Good idea. I do have a few plants, and am gradually adding more. I have varied success with keeping them alive, but some hardier ones are doing ok. I could do more with this, I think, maybe bring some branches indoors. Some dried herbs in the kitchen, and also clean the windows so I can better appreciate the sun and sky and trees outside.

Yes, you're very lucky. Here on really maintained gardens or suburban gardens, it's probably fine, but we don't use insecticides, so there are redbacks, red-headed mouse spiders, and all sorts. On the upside, at least I do have trees around me, rather than being in a flat in a city, so I shouldn't complain. I need to work on my gratitude and appreciating what I have.