VGimlet

Deck of The Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 113 : September 7 - September 13

VGimlet

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a new deck to work with exclusively for the week.

Anyone is welcome. Please join us!

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc.

Participants:

1.  VGimlet - Yggdrasil Norse Divination Cards

2. Mi-shell - Southwest Trees Playing cards

3. Katie - Ceccoli Oracle, and Sacred Traveller and DMT

4. Bodhiseed - Urban Tarot paired with Principles to Live By tiles

5. Madame Squee - Antiquarian Tarot Gold and Divine Muses Oracle

(423)

Edited by VGimlet

VGimlet

Another try with the Yggdrasil Norse Divination Cards , which due to a number of shenanigans ended up not getting touched this week. 

Mi-Shell

image.png.bb6fb88fcdc76981f15b86ec121963d9.png

This box shall be opened!

It houses the Southwest Trees Playing cards!

310598838_41cAqPYRzWL._SX364_BO1204203200_.jpg.fe508c19ff924a2dc7281f32522cbf77.jpg

Mi-Shell

Your Tree for the day = 10 of clubs – again!!

Mexican Palo Verde

This is a two faced situation!

This Tree is easy to grow and very drought resistant and so , even when the heat is relentless, this one will leaf out and bloom!

But!!

Be careful, where you plant it, it will take over!! It became a persistent pest in Australia and is difficult to eradicate.

Restrain and careful planning is a must! Then however, the rewards are pleasant.

It will provide shade and a delicate light green crown with yellow flowers.

309075575_DSCN4044(2).thumb.JPG.fd88515176950c8225764d8f37996073.JPG

Edited by Mi-Shell
spppehlink!??!! :)

Katie

@Mi-Shell that's a strange looking tree, almost spider-like.

I'll give 2 oracles a try:

Ceccoli Oracle, and Sacred Traveller. But I can't promise not to use DMT as well 😁

2 cards of the day:

20190907_125940-01.jpeg.f26f2b6697b9a349e55ee2c703f5adab.jpeg

Two little girls having a lot in common and a very "meatish" heart in between them. Then the card Navigation by the stars. Beeing patient. I will be guided and should have faith in that.

Edited by Katie

Bodhiseed

I'm in with the Urban Tarot paired with Principles to Live By tiles. Thank you VG! 🌻

Katie

Haha, didn't take long for me to bring DMT out. And wow what a card I got this time.

20190907_144346-01.jpeg

Mi-Shell

Disclaimer:

I hereby honestly confess, that I do know almost NOTHING about any of the Trees shown in the Southwest Trees 😞

I got this deck when we were in New Mexico. I was a bit disappointed, when I first opened it. Now I am trying to familiarise myself a little bit with many of these Trees, that I have never even noticed in the wild. I am goooogeling the ones on the cards, to find out more. I however saw the blooming Palo Verde! It is VERY beautiful!

This is my own picture from the Sonora Desert:

697949397_DSCN8222PaloVerde(450x600).jpg.09c1d2cec1bfa1e65eca6906fda560b7.jpg

Mi-Shell

1637026601_10-4-18(600x450).jpg.b294ca138c3633046f9087c60c573c29.jpg

Well, while I am at it, more Palo Verdes - and the "Turtle"

Edited by Mi-Shell
here comes the picture!

Madame Squee

Thank you for the thread, VG.

A diller a dollar... 

I'm in this week with the Antiquarian Tarot Gold and Divine Muses Oracle. 

Madame Squee

@Mi-Shell That's a great looking deck this week. Almost all of my traveling has been done in the deserts and mountains of the  Southwest -- mostly in a pickup truck and camping in a tent. I love your reading for the 10 of Clubs and the Mexican Palo Verde.

Edited by Madame Squee

Mi-Shell

@Madame Squee!♥ I would loe to hear about the adventures you had!

Your Tree for the day = Jack of Diamonds = Emory Crucifixion Thorn

Holy smokes, maybe I should stay in bed today!

This one sounds like a doomsday Tree!

Luckily it grows only in the Sonora and Mohave deserts and is actually endangered.

As the Jack of Diamonds, it has its strong sides, like when it provides shelter and nesting habitat for desert Birds and its sap is an insecticide against termites and other parasites.

The sharp thorns were used as needles by the Tohono O'odham People

The thorns are impenetrable and any invaders are stopped in their tracks.

This however makes it a good prickly place to build a nest and raise some baby Birds🐣🐤🐥

76295850_DSCN4044(3).thumb.JPG.f5e051a46d6443942dac0c94110852ba.JPG

Bodhiseed

This week I'll be using the Urban Tarot, a deck and book set created and self-published by Robin Scott (now published by U.S. Games). I'll be pairing it with an oracle I created called "Principles to Live By." Today's draws are the Five of Cups and Honesty:

5cups_0001.jpgopenmind.jpg

This scene eerily replays one when I was six created by my stepfather (though we didn't have nice china or a cabinet). We were poor, maggots were found in our food, and he went ballistic. We lived in a shithole at the time, so such disgusting discoveries were par for the course. Scott assigns this card the keyword 'disappointment,' which she rightly describes as a raw mixture of anger, grief, and fear. The Honesty tile suggests being genuine and truthful, which includes telling ourselves the truth as well. Like the lotus bud that has opened up completely to the sunlight, I must stop compartmentalizing my thoughts and actions and look at all of them as a whole. As Bhikkhu Analayo stated, "the first step to developing accurate self-awareness is honest acknowledgment of the existence of hidden emotions, motives and tendencies in the mind without immediately suppressing them." Whatever the situation, if I don't own my own stuff, I won't move forward and I'll be unable to see that not everything is broken.

Mi-Shell

Your Tree of the day is the 6 of Hearts, the Southern Catalpa

This Tree provides the sturdy fence posts for your garden of love. All things are possible – with a little effort on your side. You may have to make some compromises, but you will be rewarded with steady growth, protection from rainy weather and beautiful fragrant flowers. 🙂

(Teas and poultices made from the bark and leaves are often used in herbal medicine as laxatives and mild sedatives, and to treat skin wounds and abrasions and infections)

1221732443_DSCN4044(4).thumb.JPG.f86470ce2ce5d85bc5974eb698a06583.JPG

Mi-Shell

Your Tree of the day: 3 of Spades = Silver Buffaloberry

Oh, they look sooooo delicious! So you try then – and find, that you have the 3 of Spades right in your mouth!

Have you looked into the mirror this morning?

NO? Well, you would have found out, that you are NOT a Bear or a Buffalo or a Beast of any other configuration, but a puny human, that can eat Blueberries, but should stay away from Buffaloberris. They ate SOUR and were used to alleviate constipation, so....!!!!!

However, cook some up for a troublesome business partner – it will fix your problems with him – for at least a few days.....

buffaloberry.jpg.829725e24febc82901ed3d2813df422c.jpg

Madame Squee

@Mi-Shell I love your cards this week! I have a catalpa in my backyard! My children and I planted it 25 years ago. It's at least 20 feet tall. The leaves normally are as big as dinner plates, providing deep shade and privacy, but they are smaller this year for the first time (desert-plate size) -- probably because the very late snow and freeze this year stunted them. The catalpa is always the last tree to bud every spring and so always misses harm from late freezes. Unfortunately, it was already leafed out when the last freeze happened in May or June. The catalpa is also the last tree to lose its leaves -- and they all fall at the same time. One day, they're on the tree, and the next, they're on the ground. I'm always a little shocked and saddened when I wake up to find them in a pile. The gorgeous flowers last for several weeks and attract many bees. Unlike the leaves, the seed pods will hold on for ages -- sometimes for a year or more. Eventually, they turn black and burst, releasing small shiny black seeds to fly away in the wind on fluffs of cotton. If I had to choose one tree, it would be the catalpa. 

Catalpa.JPG

Edited by Madame Squee

Mi-Shell

Wow! @Madame Squee!! 💚

That is a beautiful little story and makes the Spirit of this Tree come alive for me and everyone, who reads it!

@Bodhiseed! me too!💚 🌳🌲🌿

Mi-Shell

Your Tree of the Day: 10 of Spades, Catclaw Acacia

This is more shrub than a large Tree

The flowers attract butterflies and numerous other insects, especially bees. They are sweetly and intensely fragrant with a wonderful floral honey-like scent. Plants in full bloom can be smelled from 10 feet (3 m) or more away.

A few seconds after being touched, the leaves start to close and “curl up” but wait a minute and they open again.

But also, watch out: The branches have wickedly sharp, curved, cat claw-like thorns that can easily scratch skin and snag clothing. Close encounters with this plant can leave you looking like you were in a cat fight.

The 10 of Spades indicates the end of a rather troublesome period.

Acacia_greggii_400.jpg.6497967c5ed68738fb3ea6e31a618de6.jpg

So it is only befitting, that we see it paired with the”Wait a minute Tree”

Take a breather , after all these challenges, you deserve it.

It is time for a cleansing, washing out all the old bitterness and also prune and clean off all the prickles you accumulated, not only on your outfit, but also on your soul.

Mi-Shell

Your Tree of the day: Jack of Spades = Pointleaf Manzanita

the Jack of Spades is often sen as a bit of a miscreant, a bit immature, often rather self important with quite a few strange and outlandish ideas.

The small tree / shrub presented here as the jack of Spades however is none of,, these things. It is rather petite, with small with slightly woolly twigs and small leaves. It has quite pretty whitish- pink flowers and later in the year these grow into berries, that are much appreciated by Birds and small Mammals.

They like this Jack – and so do I! ♥

Arctostaphylos_pungens.jpg.428ae94095201a621b1b8a27235c49b5.jpg

Mi-Shell

Your tree of the day : 3 of Hearts = Utah Serviceberry

Safe the prettiest for last!

Although on my card this tree is just represented by a rather uninteresting looking twig, I KNOW how very beautiful this small Tree is, in spring in full bloom, covered in white Flowers, and in fall with golden yellow foliage.1462108384_ServiceberryTree.jpg.384dd182625ae0de83418dfaa5b9798f.jpg

The fruits is an important food source for desert bighorns,elk, and mule deer, as well as many birds and domesticated livestock.

This bushy tree is a true 3 of Hearts: With its nourishment it is the meeting place for wide variety of desert dwellers, that forge relationships beneath its slender branches.

Mi-Shell

Here are all the actual cards:

DSCN4053.jpg.39698b23def10671f763e4da249bea67.jpg

Madame Squee

@Mi-Shell Your one-card readings are so much fun! I love how you connect the attributes of the tree to the essential meaning of the playing card. 🌳🌲🌴

Mi-Shell

Thank you, @Madame Squee!

This summer I wanted to just go through my small collection of playing cards.

I have 3 more decks, but in 2 of them the card images repeat for/ in  every suit and the 3rd one is another Bird deck, but they are 3 dimensional and stiff and plasticy and - I do not enjoy touching them or shuffling them.... 😞

So I will not use them,