Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 12 : September 30 - October 6

VGimlet

On Monday and again today (Wednesday), I was waiting for some time while my car was getting worked on. Both days I brought along my tote bag with my Tarot stuff so I could study. I wait at a restaurant near the car shop, have breakfast and drink coffee while I wait. (I've been doing this for some years now, so most people there know me pretty good.) Anyway, on both days they had a new person (different one each day), and when they saw me with my Tarot deck, books & so forth, they asked me for readings. Well, I pulled out the Gilded Tarot for both readings. I have to say that both times the readings flowed beautifully and were quite intuitive. The deck itself garnered comments about how beautiful it is too.

With the beauty and ease of reading with the Gilded Tarot, I think it is going to become one of my "go-to" decks.

On Monday and again today (Wednesday), I was waiting for some time while my car was getting worked on. Both days I brought along my tote bag with my Tarot stuff so I could study. I wait at a restaurant near the car shop, have breakfast and drink coffee while I wait. (I've been doing this for some years now, so most people there know me pretty good.) Anyway, on both days they had a new person (different one each day), and when they saw me with my Tarot deck, books & so forth, they asked me for readings. Well, I pulled out the Gilded Tarot for both readings. I have to say that both times the readings flowed beautifully and were quite intuitive. The deck itself garnered comments about how beautiful it is too.

With the beauty and ease of reading with the Gilded Tarot, I think it is going to become one of my "go-to" decks.

I don't know the Gilded Tarot but just looked it up. Thank you. Beautiful Fool, with the zodiac, and Ace of Cups with the moon beaming down a celestial eye. I even like how the two of swords seems to have divine guidance, that some force sees beyond stalemate and quiet tension to something greater than that. Cool. Putting it on my list to look into more. I love so many decks, seeing them. My problem is when I FEEL them, they are hit and miss. I miss the days when rock shops and occult shops would put out a sample deck, so you could feel them in your hands and see how they actually resonate, there. It is a body experience for me, ultimately. Much harder in the days of Internet.

I don't know the Gilded Tarot but just looked it up. Thank you. Beautiful Fool, with the zodiac, and Ace of Cups with the moon beaming down a celestial eye. I even like how the two of swords seems to have divine guidance, that some force sees beyond stalemate and quiet tension to something greater than that. Cool. Putting it on my list to look into more. I love so many decks, seeing them. My problem is when I FEEL them, they are hit and miss. I miss the days when rock shops and occult shops would put out a sample deck, so you could feel them in your hands and see how they actually resonate, there. It is a body experience for me, ultimately. Much harder in the days of Internet.

I know what you mean sandrang. I do love the fact that we have a couple of stores here that still carry a nice selection of Tarot decks (along with crystals, stones, and lots of New Agey things. In fact that's where I've picked up many of my decks. Plus there's stores in Sedona, AZ (not very far for me) that have different, or larger selections. Fortunately, I've never been entirely disappointed in a deck I've purchased over the internet. There have been a few that I thought the card stock might be kind of flimsy, or the box could have been better. But never enough to just pass it on.

But now that you bring up the tactile, sensory aspect of handling a Tarot deck, it reminds me that I hadn't smelled the Gilded Tarot. I like the smell of new decks. And I have found that there can be big differences. The Gilded Tarot has a remarkably light odor. But then, I've actually had it for a while, I just hadn't used it till last week. And I suppose that having done several readings now, the smell is probably dissipating a bit. But there is still a light ink smell (similar to a fresh-printed page from my inkjet printer), along with the paper smell and a slight Earthiness. Interesting ...

EmpyreanKnight

I wa surprised to note that in Amazon, it seems like the Easy Tarot Set (Gilded Tarot + beginner book by Josephine Ellershaw) is cheaper than the deck by its lonesome.

Interesting to read your comments about the smell of a new deck. I hadn't thought about that before now (most of mine smell like sage, though...all that smudging!), but I will let you know what I think, as I just bought the Gilded Tarot today, based on your posts. Thank you, again!

All Very Best,

Sandy

I know what you mean sandrang. I do love the fact that we have a couple of stores here that still carry a nice selection of Tarot decks (along with crystals, stones, and lots of New Agey things. In fact that's where I've picked up many of my decks. Plus there's stores in Sedona, AZ (not very far for me) that have different, or larger selections. Fortunately, I've never been entirely disappointed in a deck I've purchased over the internet. There have been a few that I thought the card stock might be kind of flimsy, or the box could have been better. But never enough to just pass it on.

But now that you bring up the tactile, sensory aspect of handling a Tarot deck, it reminds me that I hadn't smelled the Gilded Tarot. I like the smell of new decks. And I have found that there can be big differences. The Gilded Tarot has a remarkably light odor. But then, I've actually had it for a while, I just hadn't used it till last week. And I suppose that having done several readings now, the smell is probably dissipating a bit. But there is still a light ink smell (similar to a fresh-printed page from my inkjet printer), along with the paper smell and a slight Earthiness. Interesting ...

Queen of Nothing

I've been doing more shadow work this week, and the Ritual Abuse has served me pretty well. It's very dramtic, but in a funny way. It reminds me to not take myself too seriously. I wouldn't call it a minimalistic deck, but its pretty bare-bones. I was able to do read more intuitively with this one, focusing more on the imagery than the given LWB meanings. Overall, I dig it.

EmpyreanKnight

I hope your year-ahead reading turns out to be fruitful, Page of Ghosts! Now I have to think of a fitting spread to use the Wild Unknown with. :D

And yup, the Wild Unknown Animal Spirit Deck and Guidebook is going to be printed by Harper, which AFAIK is the same publisher of the Wild Unknown Tarot. It's scheduled to be released around the end of March next year. I hope it won't get delayed.

Here's a link to its page. Enjoy!:

https://m.harpercollins.com/9780062742865/the-wild-unknown-animal-spirit-deck-and-guidebook-official-keepsake-box-set

Oo, good to know! I was torn on getting that oracle but if a cheaper version is coming that takes me off the fence a bit! I've heard that the difference in cardstock between the mass-produced and indie versions wasn't too bad, just a bit thinner which would be fine for an oracle since I tend to use them less anyway.

Somehow I missed this. Anyway, I measured the thickness of my Wild Unknown deck, Lantana, and when compressed the entire thing (sans the box of course) is around 28.5 mm. You can check that against your copy to see if the difference between their thickness is significant. Also: the 3rd edition has a beautifully smooth cardstock that feels premium. Certainly among the best I've ever had.

Alright, my initial week thoughts on the Slutist:

Really enjoyed this deck! I'm surprised at how versatile it is in readings, even though it has a sexy theme it's a deck that can do more than just relationship readings (though it is very good at those). It has a really brassy tone to it that I enjoy. I'd say that most of the card art, sexual or otherwise, match well with the meanings. There are some exceptions, there's a handful of cards that just have someone posing that are kind of head scratchers until you read the booklet.

Speaking of the booklet, the font on that thing is TINY. It's not so much a booklet as a folded paper (à la indie versions of the Wild Unknown) that the creators tried to cram everything they could on. I ended up having to scan it into my phone for easier reading, and I'm in my early twenties! Everything else about the deck is fine though, the cardstock is kind of cardboard-y (I think? I'm not good at describing cardstock) but I actually quite like it.

I do feel like the "diversity" of this deck falls a bit short, but it is certainly more diverse than other sexy decks. It's queer and femme-focused, it included trans women, BUT I do feel like it still ended up being majority white and skinny. (Especially skinny. I think there's like, one chubby girl and one fat one. Kind of a bummer.)

All in all though, really really glad I got this deck. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but if you're interested in a deck like this, I can say this one is a lot more than just a novelty.

Somehow I missed this. Anyway, I measured the thickness of my Wild Unknown deck, Lantana, and when compressed the entire thing (sans the box of course) is around 28.5 mm. You can check that against your copy to see if the difference between their thickness is significant. Also: the 3rd edition has a beautifully smooth cardstock that feels premium. Certainly among the best I've ever had.

I... I actually ended up ordering the indie version anyway.  :-[

To be fair, it was because I knew the guidebook and the (very nice and fancy) kit box would just collect dust and I don't have a lot of space to store away that kind of stuff. It made sense in my head.  :P

Interesting to read your comments about the smell of a new deck. I hadn't thought about that before now (most of mine smell like sage, though...all that smudging!), but I will let you know what I think, as I just bought the Gilded Tarot today, based on your posts. Thank you, again!

All Very Best,

Sandy

I hope you like it sandrang! I found, with using it over the past couple of weeks, that readings flowed very smoothly with it. Plus, when I did a couple of readings for people with it, they loved the look of the cards. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.