Being a Witch Can Be Expensive? Minimalist Witchcraft.

euripides

17 minutes ago, gregory said:

OMG I agree with katrinka. I think I need to go lie down.

Aww such a precious moment! I wish I had a camera to capture it all. *smile!!* 😁

amy poehler GIF by Sisters

😘❤️❤️❤️❤️

17 minutes ago, gregory said:

(You remember memries, katrinka  - I bet ? Lovely lady... :classic_sad:)

That’s just heartbreaking to think about 😢

The real witches I know (and I include myself in this) are indistinguishable from anyone on the street, and in their homes you wouldn't see a sign of anything 'witchy', either. Unless you're sharp-eyed and in the know. 

My very small collection of items are things I've picked up from nature or bought in a charity shop. A shell, a bowl, a bell, a feather, a rock, a cup, what have you... Mind you I did go through my 'ooh, a mortar and pestle with a pentagram on it and a statue of Pan in resin, yes please!' phase, but it soon passed, and those things have moved on to new owners. 

While I'm not a witch but have lots of witchy stuff about :classic_laugh:. Though it could just look like I'm into Indian and Egyptian mythology. And clutter.

I can see Ganesh,  two egyptian cat statues, Isis,  Kali and a chalice (with some Halls Soothers in). There's a small bowl of crystals as well. And a bookcase full of tarot decks.

58 minutes ago, ilweran said:

While I'm not a witch but have lots of witchy stuff about :classic_laugh:. Though it could just look like I'm into Indian and Egyptian mythology. And clutter.

despicable me lol GIF

58 minutes ago, ilweran said:

I can see Ganesh,  two egyptian cat statues, Isis,  Kali and a chalice (with some Halls Soothers in). There's a small bowl of crystals as well. And a bookcase full of tarot decks.

Sounds lovely!!

Thank you. My house is very messy and is even worse at the moment - who wants to tidy up when you could be making these:

IMG_20190922_153447_432.thumb.jpg.4286058148b9b3ddfda134537a92e601.jpgIMG_20190922_153447_431.thumb.jpg.b2f41a08441cb102b3c5c28e791f4052.jpg

I particularly like the Woodspirit Mummer, that's why he's in both photos. Nicely pagan looking, I think!

All done with the 1983 version of Wind in the Willows in the background (sadly lacking the otters and Pan, but thankfully not mentioning the horrors of Toad being ordered about by female nurses!)

5 hours ago, ilweran said:

Well, my house may be witchier than I think, there are crystals on the mantle, a small fairy figure on a shelf and two shelves of tarot and Doreen Valiente books, and upstairs I do have a low table with a chakra candelabra and a Buddha, and in my bedroom there is a Buddha with a bowl of sand with stick of incense stuck in it...and a glass 'crystal' ball...But these things are more Glastonbury kooky than witchy, right? (Wait there's a Buddha in a pot plant outside... and a collection of washed out jam jars on the shelf in the kitchen, because jars are awesome... But there are no velvet basques, black nail polish or long grey hair with a purple streak in it, nor pointy-toed boots...but I do have a wand made of rowan wood....bah)

P1080601.JPG

P1080603.JPG

P1080605.JPG

P1080606.JPG

Edited by Carla

From those photos I'd suspect you were likely to be some form of pagan if I visited.

It looks fantastically not-cluttered. One day I will de-clutter and persuade my husband to join in!

8 minutes ago, ilweran said:

From those photos I'd suspect you were likely to be some form of pagan if I visited.

It looks fantastically not-cluttered. One day I will de-clutter and persuade my husband to join in!

Glastonbury kook, then. I'm safe! ha ha

Marie Kondo. Read it. Live it. Love it. I Konmari'd this house in January and it has been magical (if you pardon the word) ever since! 

3 hours ago, Carla said:

Marie Kondo. Read it. Live it. Love it. I Konmari'd this house in January and it has been magical (if you pardon the word) ever since! 

We have not enough storage and too many hobbies.

And books, I have many books and they all bring me joy!

5 minutes ago, ilweran said:

We have not enough storage and too many hobbies.

And books, I have many books and they all bring me joy!

The thing about Marie Kondo saying you can't have books is a myth. 

I was not that hard to convert, I have always maintained that one's life should fit reasonably into the space one has and not vice versa. But anyway, the reason my house looks tidy is I don't have more stuff than I have places to put things, and now each thing knows where it lives. All I can say is, we haven't had to 'clean up the house' since I Konmari'd this place, nor have we spent any time hunting for something that's 'lost'.  That brings me a heck of a lot more joy than all those books I got rid of that I hadn't touched in 20 years. Not trying to convert, just telling my own experience. 

I get that. It's hobby stuff and children's toys that are the problem. My husband paints Warhammer figures and I make jewellery. And my son loves Lego. Those things combined take up a fair amount of space!

I have got rid of bags and bags of stuff though (and loads of books went when we first moved here), just things that accumulated in the spare bedroom - some of it things that our parents returned to us when they were clearing out. We'll get there, it's just planning the time to do it. Husband often works weekends, little boy won't go to sleep on his own even though he's six, (unfortunately he seems to have inherited both of our tendency towards anxiety). We need to do it though, I'm determined and will be bribing my husband with curry!

I have an odd collection of items that seem to have come together to organically form something of an altar. I have a couple of figurines - one a marvellous statue of a guardian deity that my father brought from China, and a large rose quartz buffalo I had given to him; a playing card of my husband's, a feather sent from an ATer I traded teas with, beads made by my daughter and a brass compass she gave me, a random branch, several stones, and a string of beads that a friend brought from Tibet.

I first started my witchery when you couldn't buy anything much, apart from painstaking searches in junk shops, jumble sales and the odd supplies from the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

So it was nice when it became possible to get some specific things: some deity figures and so forth. And I like stuff, as my house attests.
But I still get more pleasure and meaning out of hunting stuff down in car boot sales and eBay.

Most of all, I remember my dear witchy friend and mentor, who has long since passed, in the middle of a wood, picking up a random twig, and then magic happened. 
She was also famous for her most quoted saying about wands and athames,  “what's wrong with your finger?”