Can You do a Tarot Reading for Yourself?

Mark Foot

34 minutes ago, Arch said:

I do agree that focus on growth can be a good frame, up to a point, it depends on a persons history and balance.

What is good for one person can be harmful to another.

This is a major reason why others advice can seem totally off base, because everyone is assuming that everyone else is like themselves,

while actually they are not, and much of the advice if followed, would really mess up things for them.

The nice thing about Tarot is that it is designed around this problem, as it attacks the problems from another level.

That book sounds like a good read!  If there's anything this forum has taught me, it's that there's always 2 sides to every issue (Or possibly more than that!)  And there isn't a clear answer to every question, just one's personal experiences and leanings from them.  So yeah some people may be good with a lot of direction from the cards, I just personally like to use them to dig deep within myself and I leave the future pretty open.  I tend to just trust in regard to the future, and seek advice when it comes to the present.  That may change though, my feelings are rapidly evolving as all this new information comes in.  

4 hours ago, Symph said:

That book sounds like a good read!  If there's anything this forum has taught me, it's that there's always 2 sides to every issue (Or possibly more than that!)  And there isn't a clear answer to every question, just one's personal experiences and leanings from them.  So yeah some people may be good with a lot of direction from the cards, I just personally like to use them to dig deep within myself and I leave the future pretty open.  I tend to just trust in regard to the future, and seek advice when it comes to the present.  That may change though, my feelings are rapidly evolving as all this new information comes in.  

I know how you feel, many times I get into a sort of information overload.

Yet when I get back to the day to day, the "lessons" are not always obvious in terms of application either.

It becomes this little game of trying to get the high ideas into real life,

without screwing up too much of the things I need to survive.

In other words trying to pay off "karmic debts" without falling completely apart.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, Mark Foot said:

I am wondering whether this is possible or the outcome of the spread is too biased, as long as the querent and the reader is the same person... 

On 9/17/2019 at 12:27 PM, Guest libra said:

I read for myself all the time. It does take a bit of skill to differentiate between seeing what you want to see in the cards and what they are truly saying (and quite frankly sometimes, my cards come through literally just showing what I'm hoping for!) but it really is something that you can feel out. 

On 9/17/2019 at 3:03 PM, ilweran said:

I can and do, but usually not divination so much as to give me a different view of the situation. I've found it really helpful for seeing where I may not have helped things, however inadvertently. 

I rarely read for myself any longer, although as others have said, I did that a lot when I was first learning. I can put ego, desire, whatever you want to call it off to the side and read the cards for myself just as I would for someone else. But I also read for insight and information, not predictively. I can't remember the last time I read for myself (I'd guess years and probably counted on more than one hand), but a couple of months ago a situation arose and I ended up doing 4 readings in a week. (And those who know me know I discourage multiple readings on the same topic in a short period of time. But each reading was on a different aspect of the situation.) The first one was, ""X". Why?" Put down three cards and the answer was so clear I didn't even have to interpret the cards. The same thing happened with the second and third readings -  the answer just jumped right out at me.

I think it really helps as a reader to know whether or not you're able to read for yourself. And if you know you can't, then don't.

6 hours ago, Arch said:

I know how you feel, many times I get into a sort of information overload.

Yet when I get back to the day to day, the "lessons" are not always obvious in terms of application either.

It becomes this little game of trying to get the high ideas into real life,

without screwing up too much of the things I need to survive.

In other words trying to pay off "karmic debts" without falling completely apart.

I feel that Arch, I really do.  Do you find it kind of like... fun and exciting trying to figure out what the universe is telling you?  Like even when it's stuff that's emotionally draining and you are still taking seriously, is there a part of you that is detached, knowing it's all part of this game/story and kind of... having a blast just figuring out where it's all going?  That's my experience of late, it's the hardest game I've ever played, but I'm soooo addicted to it... LYFE MAN..  LYFEEEEE

26 minutes ago, Symph said:

Do you find it kind of like... fun and exciting trying to figure out what the universe is telling you?  Like even when it's stuff that's emotionally draining and you are still taking seriously, is there a part of you that is detached, knowing it's all part of this game/story and kind of... having a blast just figuring out where it's all going?

Hmm I dunno if I've the feeling of being fun and excited over this.

If you have read my archangel series, many of these topics represent me grappling with the archangel Samael in Geburah.

There is a lot of pain and suffering over letting go and sacrificing attachments right now.

So I only feel fun and exited when I stop looking at it in a way.

That being said, when I get in the zone writing those articles I can be said to feel that way at certain points.

But reading cards was never about fun for me, it was more an existential necessity.

I had a lot of karmic debts I needed to deal with, and still do.

4 minutes ago, Arch said:

Hmm I dunno if I've the feeling of being fun and excited over this.

If you have read my archangel series, many of these topics represent me grappling with the archangel Samael in Geburah.

There is a lot of pain and suffering over letting go and sacrificing attachments right now.

So I only feel fun and exited when I stop looking at it in a way.

That being said, when I get in the zone writing those articles I can be said to feel that way at certain points.

But reading cards was never about fun for me, it was more an existential necessity.

I had a lot of karmic debts I needed to deal with, and still do.

Well to be honest, if you were to go back in my journey to like... a few years back, yeah I didn't feel it was very fun either.  It was just a struggle.  So I can relate to that too, it's just... I've learned to be more detached now, and when some terrible thing happens (like it did tonight, I was denied the promotion my wife and I were counting on) I kind of... there's a worry and a sadness, but I'm like "I get why you're here buddy, and I'm gonna face this head on, I know nothing happens without a reason so BRING IT!!"  But I didn't used to be that way, not at all.   

I think I've gotten us off topic, I'll try to steer the ship back on course.... by shutting up 😗 😜🙃

5 hours ago, Ruby Jewel said:

(...) By reading for yourself you are learning to access the true meaning of the cards that is really accessible in no other way. When we read for a client it is our mission to interpret the cards as the story of the energy surrounding the querent. The simplest way to begin to understand the energy in the cards is through the wisdom gained by seeing that energy through our own personal experience of the magic that is the tarot.

Very well said, @Ruby Jewel ❤️

With tarot, I personally feel the need (urge!) to fully, completely understand. I want to learn it like a language, become completely fluent with it. I want it all, I want to dive in completely. Thus, I have to spend as much time with it  as possible, taking the time to ponder and meditate and do my research on the symbols … and that I need to do alone, without interference.

Everyday I read at least one card for myself. I find this way harder than reading to other people- but sometimes things will just click. But also this is a good exercise both to think about the cards and learn about myself.

I absolutely DO read for myself, quite often, and with good accuracy.
Lenormand is very reliable for this. So are Kippers and Grand Jeu.
Tarot can be a bit vague, if read using modern methods. But if you read it cartomantically, it's just as good as the others.
It really depends on your method. Just sayin'. 😉

My opinion on this topic has changed.  I started out reading for myself a lot and getting very clear messages.  Something has happened to me with Tarot though and I can't quite place it... it's like... I gave a few readings that didn't jive too much with others, then some things I heard people say got in my head and now I keep over thinking my readings, the trust isn't there, and I've had to stop reading for myself.  It's almost dangerous, as I've given myself some readings that have shaken me because they appeared to be so negative.  I think you gotta really trust yourself and your abilities to read for yourself, and I am certain I will do it again someday.  But yeah I started off like "Pfft reading for yourself is no big deal I don't get why people say not to do it" and now I'm more like "Only read for yourself if you have a strong relationship with your cards, trust yourself as a reader,  and are very grounded in who you are".  

Like many others have mentioned, I find it harder to read for myself than for others- and early in my relationship with the Tarot, I actually stopped for a while. But over the past couple of decades, I've realized that just like any relationship, with the Tarot it takes time and effort to get to know each other and get to the really good stuff. Things like the daily one card or three card draws, pathworking, and just being playful with the Tarot really helped me. I also agree about Lenormand and Kippers often being easier to use for personal readings, but for me, these days the Tarot is one of my dearest friends and advisors and I look forward to 'our' time together 😉

33 minutes ago, peacefulocean said:

Like many others have mentioned, I find it harder to read for myself than for others- and early in my relationship with the Tarot, I actually stopped for a while. But over the past couple of decades, I've realized that just like any relationship, with the Tarot it takes time and effort to get to know each other and get to the really good stuff. Things like the daily one card or three card draws, pathworking, and just being playful with the Tarot really helped me. I also agree about Lenormand and Kippers often being easier to use for personal readings, but for me, these days the Tarot is one of my dearest friends and advisors and I look forward to 'our' time together 😉

Yep, that's how I feel now.  I'm not in a place where I should be reading for myself, but I look forward to the day when I can.  

I crave introspection and have found Tarot (and Lenormand) to be incredibly enlightening on a personal level - I'm okay with hard truths, even if they take a while for me to accept, even if the cards have to point to the hard truths a few times before I accept them. I have grown so much as a person because I read for myself at least once daily. I feel like I make better short-term and long-term decisions, and I have a confidence about what my intuition is saying that I didn't have this time last year. I do have an in-person mentor who has advised me (more than once) to beware reading the cards for myself or for others while in a non-balanced, calm state - that includes being elated! For me personally, as a Lunar Aries, the advice to avoid divining while in any other state than calm and centered has been essential 👍 

3 hours ago, Aaryn said:

For me personally, as a Lunar Aries, the advice to avoid divining while in any other state than calm and centered has been essential 👍 

And that is where I went wrong haha. Good advice!

On 12/13/2019 at 10:55 AM, peacefulocean said:

I also agree about Lenormand and Kippers often being easier to use for personal readings

I've tried learning Lenormand and it just didn't click, so I thought Kipper might be a good alternative. But if I have trouble with one, will I also have trouble with the other? I use Tarot for personal development (Shadow Work; looking at an issue; etc.), but not for daily readings, so I'd like to try a no-nonsense system like Kipper. (And I'm learning that TdM falls into that category which gives me another option. 🙂 )

Edited by Starlight

@Starlight That's a good question! It's hard to say definitively, but although Lenormand and Kipper are similar in a lot of ways, they are different enough that some people take to one, and not to the other. It might be worth a try. I don't have a whole lot of experience in Kippers yet (I've focused more on Lenormand up to now), but in Kippers there are more people cards than the Lenormand and in readings, I've noticed a bit of a different focus; whereas the Lenormand focuses a lot on external happenings, in my few experiences with Kipper readings, I have noticed that there is more of an element of shining a light on the inner aspects of motivation etc. This might be something that is right up your alley given your interest in Tarot for personal development and Shadow work! 

Thanks, @peacefulocean. I'll give Kipper a go, then! I can only try!

It does sound like they could be very useful together for a complete picture, and maybe I'll come back to Lenormand again some time.

Edited by Starlight

46 minutes ago, peacefulocean said:

@Starlight I'd love to hear how you get on with Kippers! Let me know if they read better for you then Lenormand!

I will - thanks, @peacefulocean. :) My plan is to start learning the system with Toni Puhle's book towards the end of the month or early in 2020.

I think the main difference I see between Kipper and the RWS Tarot is that Kipper is to the point and tells things as they are, while the RWS Tarot is more reflective and exploratory, requiring you to think about what's in front of you.

If I do a daily reading for myself (while also keeping an eye on my kiddos) I want to be able to see the information quickly, to get to the point quickly, without the pondering and journalling that I currently do. Self-reflection and journalling is so worthwhile, but now I'd like to branch out into self-readings that are direct, no-nonsense, to the point, and efficient time-wise. :)

On 12/13/2019 at 9:55 PM, Starlight said:

I use Tarot for personal development (Shadow Work; looking at an issue; etc.), but not for daily readings, so I'd like to try a no-nonsense system like Kipper.

Kippers can communicate motives and thoughts (but so can Lenormand if you ask about them. I really don't see a major difference.) But they aren't designed to be used in a modern Tarot/Jungian type way. So it's hard to say if you'll click with them or not.  The easiest way to find out would be to examine the card meanings.

I compiled them here. Would these be the kinds if things you'd look for in a reading? https://fennario.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/a-traditional-kipperkarten-primer/

(Oh dear, Malkiel's taken his videos down again. I need to find out what happened!)

On 12/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, Starlight said:

My plan is to start learning the system with Toni Puhle's book towards the end of the month or early in 2020.

Toni's book is basically sound except for a couple of glaring issues. If you're aware that these areas are problematic, you'll do fine:

• While Kippers do include cards that move to the left or right, link neighboring cards or designate them as a cause and an effect, and this does have an effect on your storylines, Toni has included something called "start cards" and "stop cards".  With her method, you start with the people cards (MC 1 and 2, Good Man, Good Lady, Rich Girl, Rich Young Man, and Child) and the cards kind of push you around the board in various directions, but a particular storyline ends when you hit a "stop card". I found it problematic in practice - suppose a "stop card" is immediately ahead of your significator, with no cards in between? And significators are more than simply people. There are work cards, travel cards, etc. So I asked German readers abut this (I've never seen them use "stop cards") and none of them had ever heard of it. This in spite of the book's claim to be the "true Bavarian method". 🙄 Puhle claims that readers in the UK and US are "reading Kippers like Lenormand" and this is "wrong" - but if we're wrong, so are all the German readers. I learned from Germans - I had to, as there was nothing at all in english when I started.

• (And this is a major issue) She insists that "If your client is male, then Main Character no. 2 will be his significant other and vice versa (regardless of the sexuality of your Querent.)" In other words, she claims that the partner of someone who is gay is indicated by a card depicting someone of the opposite sex. This is not only offensive, it's unnecessary. There are enough people cards in the deck to provide you with plenty of options without doing some crazy cartomantic gender reassignment.

(Significators in Kipper, Lenormand, Tarot, etc. are properly chosen by gender, not sex at birth. So it would be correct to use MC 1 for a trans man. But for a lesbian who presents and identifies as feminine, it's offensive.)

And this is more of a minor quibble, but the book is illustrated with pictures of her deck. That's not an issue once you've thoroughly familiarized yourself with the translations of the card titles (and knowing the cards by number is VERY helpful, especially if you plan to visit German Kipper groups - they often reference the cards by number.)
The card images in the book are in black and white, most of them are small, and it can be a headache for newcomers.

So you can see that part of her motive for writing the book was to sell her courses (the one "true Bavarian method" 🙄) and her deck. And she's insensitive at best, as far as gay relationships go. Other than that, the book is fairly solid and it's the only decent Kipper book currently available in english. But there are some things in it that need to be taken with a big grain of salt. 😉

Edited by katrinka

Reading for myself has never been an issue for me. I also have never understood the strong feelings prohibition. 

Issues around bias and projection can (and do occur with greater frequencies) in readings for other people. Frequently, the problem is more context and focus. There is a temptation to wander. I find reading in the third person helps with that. 

Personally, I’ve never tarot less specific or literal than the Lenormand Oracle or the Belline. The vagueness of systems, or seeing one as more exploratory, et cetera, are products of readers’ own solipsism. The Lenormand Oracle can and will indicate emotions and motivation, discuss spiritual matters or be used for oracular communication - that is just a context. The problem is challenging one’s own assumptions what x deck is for and how certain systems work. 

It is a shame if Malkiel has ceased teaching the Kipperkarten. He was the best. 

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, katrinka said:

Kippers can communicate motives and thoughts (but so can Lenormand if you ask about them. I really don't see a major difference.) But they aren't designed to be used in a modern Tarot/Jungian type way.

That's absolutely perfect! Too much introspection is overwhelming. I'm looking for quick and to the point for more day to day issues. What subject should we start our day with? What is traffic like on the way to class later? That kind of thing. 🙂

Toni's book is basically sound except for a couple of glaring issues. If you're aware that these areas are problematic, you'll do fine:

I had no idea! Thank you for that. I will absolutely keep that in mind.

So you can see that part of her motive for writing the book was to sell her courses (the one "true Bavarian method" 🙄) and her deck. And she's insensitive at best, as far as gay relationships go. Other than that, the book is fairly solid and it's the only decent Kipper book currently available in english. But there are some things in it that need to be taken with a big grain of salt. 😉

Yes, it was the only Kipper book I could find in English at the time, and I believed it *was* the "Bavarian method". That was what was so attractive about it; I thought I was going to learn an authentic system.

I waa pondering whether to start a journal thread devoted to Kipper study, but I'm not sure if I'd be breaking copyright of her book if I did that. I'll have to think some more.

Again, thanks @katrinka, for your thoughts. I want to do this with my eyes wide open. 🙂

26 minutes ago, Starlight said:

That's absolutely perfect! Too much introspection is overwhelming. I'm looking for quick and to the point for more day to day issues. What subject should we start our day with? What is traffic like on the way to class later? That kind of thing. 🙂

Exactly!

I had no idea! Thank you for that. I will absolutely keep that in mind.

Yes, it was the only Kipper book I could find in English at the time, and I believed it *was* the "Bavarian method". That was what was so attractive about it; I thought I was going to learn an authentic system.

It's legitimate Kipper reading, other than the issues mentioned. Not exclusive to Bavaria, though. 😉 More pan-German.

I waa pondering whether to start a journal thread devoted to Kipper study, but I'm not sure if I'd be breaking copyright of her book if I did that. I'll have to think some more.

As long as you're not quoting large sections of the book verbatim, you're in the clear. Shorter passages are covered by Fair Use.
The card meanings and functions predate her book, and they belong to all of us. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.