katrinka

Trendomancy

Charlie Brown
On 9/23/2019 at 3:58 PM, katrinka said:

Grays predominate. Virtually everything else (except the little plants and the orange cushion) is black, white, or tan. I like a little gray, it looks "soft". But not huge areas of it.

It's funny that you mention this. I haven't read more than a few pages yet, but I just got an art theory book that's about this exact thing. The book is called Chromophobia. I think a large part of its thesis is that it connects to a fear of actively or affirmatively expressing any kind of value through aesthetics  

katrinka
On 9/26/2019 at 10:15 AM, bookshop said:

Oh, i mean, I've only ever lived in dingy white-walled apartments throughout adulthood, and i actually really like the color grey ahaha, so i'm honestly pretty excited about it! And the bathroom is a nice mix of white and greige, basically, it looks very modern and, yes, shiny, haha. 

Yes, I've been renting throughout adulthood and most of the places, whether houses or apartments, have had white walls. I actually heard my landlord on the phone to some workers who were prepping a house for new renters: "WalMart white! The cheapest one!"  It didn't matter if it was eggshell or ivory, as long as it was WalMart.

The standard of living has really gone down. My childhood was full of beautiful old homes and lots of people owned their homes. Not so much now.

I think a big part of this trend, in all seriousness, is that if you decorate with greyscale or earth-toned colors, it's much, much easier for people to insert their own styles and color tastes into their environment than it is if you go with an actual color scheme. My favorite colors are orange, red, and teal or hunter green, and I can accent any grey/greige room, or any sepia-toned or ecru room, with any of those colors, easily. But I couldn't do that if the landlord decided to paint the walls yellow or bright blue or something.

Yes. Lord knows I've got stuff all over the walls covering a good bit of the WalMart White.
And that IS an advantage of neutrals. But there are a lot of neutral shades other than gray,
And patterned wallpaper can be neutral, like these:

Capture.PNG.14b57613f07ffb5ee2798aa46341378c.PNGCapture11.PNG.50ba775adbe08cd17d4a28eeafe2cfa6.PNG

I just find those so much more relaxing and welcoming, and, well, homier than cold, sterile solid walls. Not everyone will agree, of course, but many will. So why isn't more variety being offered?

And if you take as a given that because of this reason, most landlords and sellers will want to go with a minimalist color scheme, grey/greige make sense as the latest trend. White is too non-descript and universalized. White-and-black is too retro, it's very 80s. Sepia/ecru is very '90s/early2000s. So what minimalist color scheme is left? Grey. 

Who says they can never, ever repeat anything? A lot of us PREFER vintage style things.

BUT WHILE I'M ON THE SUBJECT OF COLOR SCHEMES AND TRENDS I AM TIRED OF, may I submit:

image.thumb.png.88e100770faf2047eb7646ef5f483b32.png
(Etc.)

Yeah, WTH is up with that?

(I own and love 3 of these decks, and wouldn't say no to a few more, but I'M JUST SAYING.)

As a novelty, it's fine. But if there's going to be a LOT of that, people are going to get sick of it.

Besides, it's Tarot. Often, in Tarot, colors mean things.

Edited by katrinka

katrinka
On 9/26/2019 at 10:50 AM, Charlie Brown said:

It's funny that you mention this. I haven't read more than a few pages yet, but I just got an art theory book that's about this exact thing. The book is called Chromophobia. I think a large part of its thesis is that it connects to a fear of actively or affirmatively expressing any kind of value through aesthetics  

I had a look at that on amazon. It looks interesting and I think you've hit on something with this. On the to-read list it goes - thanks. 🙂
"Don't use pink, it's girly and the men won't buy." Gendered colors. It's all kind of stupid and neurotic, IMHO. I can see not going overboard and decorating a place like a Reno cathouse, but a moderate amount of colors and patterns is a GOOD thing. Gray is nice WITH other colors, the way you find it in nature: Old wood with moss and vines growing on it, that kind of thing.
All colors have associations.

And a lot of the associations of gray aren't all that appealing, lol.
Capture.PNG.0a5f8e8ff4b5784421e6d069d0fcdb86.PNG

Maybe somebody needs to tell these people that they're affirmatively expressing moodiness, loss, and depression.
On 9/25/2019 at 9:04 PM, bastetly said:

And bc of the discussion of GRAY, I am now successfully de-enabled fm using that color in my kitchen  whew!!  (that was close, but it's in every article I see, esp w turquoise).  I grew up in a gray ranch-style (inside was not), or as mom has described it, "shiny gray" and I had to correct anyone who asked me if I lived in the gray house near the corner.  "No, it's SHINY Gray!"  I really thought that was a color when I was little, and mom just cracked up. 

It kind of IS a color, if silver counts. 😁

Also love me a soft gold 🙂  I also need some luscious metallics:  Brass, bronze, brushed silvers.  And woods, not chrome and glass, so a little Scandinavian....

This unassuming gray home is right up my alley.  hehe   So yes, gray for an exterior w some happy bright white trim and a front door in ANY color, I like quite a lot.

Gray is very nice for exteriors!
I'd love a place like this:
blair-boulevard-1.jpg

And it isn't ALL gray, there's some contrast going on. :)

Lately purples, pinky amethysts and violets have been swirling around in my head.  (My tastes are traditional, Filipino and M~C M). 

Maybe on a wall or room, and then hints of violet sprinkled in rest of house on the trim, flowers, art, pillows etc  Oooh, maybe the front door!  Right now it's supposed 2B mauve, but looks pink in the sunlight 😞

There's some amazing front door colors at this link, including pinks and purples, and a magenta one with a big carved doorknocker:
https://homebnc.com/best-front-door-color-ideas/
(Hmmm, the decorators apparently consider color OK on the exterior. Like bait - people are lured in and trapped in all that horrible sterile gray.)

Speaking of trends all the cars are gray (silver), black, and white these days ...   I just don't think it's safe to paint vehicles the color of the pavement!  I recall in the gay ole 90s,  RED cars and trucks ruled everywhere, here in the U.S.. 

And we started seeing chameleon paint in the 90's! 😍:bubble_blove:🥰🤩

I'll never forget the first time I saw a car pass by and CHANGE COLOR. It made an otherwise boring walk kind of amazing!
People in the 90's weren't scared of color, they had fun with it. You can't have fun being scared of everything!

Charlie Brown

Well, it will probably be a while before I really get into it. If you happen to grab a copy, let me know and maybe we can go through it together. 

DanielJUK

Interiors and houses are so about trends! I would always say do whatever you like, it's personalised for you and your taste! Trends come and go and also repeat in cycles, you cannot keep up with them so just make it what you like 🙂

Gray / grey (depending on your country) is an interesting observation and agree it's everywhere with monochromes and dark browns. They are cool and neutral, they are emotionless when people are stressed by their feelings and emotions in the world right now. These colours produce no emotions or feelings like other colours, they are like "default colour, it looks good, don't question it!". Before it used to be whites and creams, whites of course for purity and healing but also neutral but warmer. I think they are so we don't feel anything from them, honestly.

In colour therapy, historically and still today, you find corridors and rooms in hospitals that are painted that hospital green colour and it's because it's calming. It calms people down in it. I don't get why people don't use those ideas for their rooms, rooms to calm, rooms to enliven and reds and golds in living / reception rooms to liven them up but instead it's all inoffensive neutrals. I definitely think I will take in colour therapy of rooms and the outside if I ever have my own place.

The houses in the area I live were all built during a house building boom to expand and create some economic growth after the 1st world war and were all built during the 30's. They all have cute art deco details of the time and they originally had the most amazing bathrooms with green baths / sinks and lights around the mirror. The green colour wasn't dark or avocado but that sort of art deco mid range green. Many of the parts were made of Vitrolite (which is actually a type of glass) which sadly cracked around the bath and went sharp when I was a toddler and so my parents replaced the original bathroom as it was getting unsafe with kids. My neighbours still have the original wonderful bathroom 🙂 Recently I have noticed a trend here of people making the entire downstairs open plan and that seems very modern and minimalist now but what happens when that is no longer in trend. I like some separate rooms to separate off and for an escape! Tiles have become very unfashionable in the last 10 years in kitchens and bathrooms but suddenly coming back. You cannot keep up with the trends so just make it what you can live with and love for you ❤️

Recently we wanted to repaint the house's front door and omg the arguments at home! Everyone in the street has shades of grey on their door, it's boring now! So many companies do great colour shade paints now and often water + vegetable dye based but long lasting and more eco friendly and less nasty to breathe in, there has never been more choice! So I did not want any shade of grey because everyone has that. The door has been British Racing Green before and was a dark Royal Blue. But in the end we went with a Provincial French Blue and love it! Okay it's as light blue and nearly grey but still I am bored of monochrome now! 🤣 this is how it looks now as, of last week ......

1497682491_2019-09-3011_23_50.thumb.jpg.8e1f1c880bc20bf9df4ada9d7bab8aa0.jpg

katrinka
9 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

Gray / grey (depending on your country) is an interesting observation and agree it's everywhere with monochromes and dark browns. They are cool and neutral, they are emotionless when people are stressed by their feelings and emotions in the world right now. These colours produce no emotions or feelings like other colours, they are like "default colour, it looks good, don't question it!". Before it used to be whites and creams, whites of course for purity and healing but also neutral but warmer. I think they are so we don't feel anything from them, honestly.

I actually do feel something when they're excessive like that. When I look at those photos, I get kind of a trapped feeling. It's hard to articulate, but it's an uneasy feeling, it's anything but pleasant.
And I agree, there's a "don't question it" element to all this. Things should always be questioned. You don't hire fascists to decorate your home!

In colour therapy, historically and still today, you find corridors and rooms in hospitals that are painted that hospital green colour and it's because it's calming. It calms people down in it. I don't get why people don't use those ideas for their rooms, rooms to calm, rooms to enliven and reds and golds in living / reception rooms to liven them up but instead it's all inoffensive neutrals. I definitely think I will take in colour therapy of rooms and the outside if I ever have my own place.

THIS. Color is mood.

The houses in the area I live were all built during a house building boom to expand and create some economic growth after the 1st world war and were all built during the 30's. They all have cute art deco details of the time and they originally had the most amazing bathrooms with green baths / sinks and lights around the mirror. The green colour wasn't dark or avocado but that sort of art deco mid range green.

Yes. Lots of lovely mints and seafoam shades in that era. I love the 1930's palette.

Many of the parts were made of Vitrolite (which is actually a type of glass) which sadly cracked around the bath and went sharp when I was a toddler and so my parents replaced the original bathroom as it was getting unsafe with kids. My neighbours still have the original wonderful bathroom 🙂

I looked up Vitrolite. If it's not chipped or cracked, it's definitely worth keeping: very hygienic! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigmented_structural_glass#Characteristics

Recently I have noticed a trend here of people making the entire downstairs open plan and that seems very modern and minimalist now but what happens when that is no longer in trend. I like some separate rooms to separate off and for an escape! Tiles have become very unfashionable in the last 10 years in kitchens and bathrooms but suddenly coming back. You cannot keep up with the trends so just make it what you can live with and love for you ❤️

I like tiles. I'd do a tile kitchen. I've read that UK people don't like them, though, and consider tiles strictly "for the loo"!

But open plan? Absolutely not! It reminds me of a giant version of those tiny one room apartments where people sit on the bed and peel potatoes. Of course the bedrooms would be upstairs and the toilet wouldn't be beside the stove, but it's the same idea. Without walls, something is sorely lacking.

Recently we wanted to repaint the house's front door and omg the arguments at home! Everyone in the street has shades of grey on their door, it's boring now! So many companies do great colour shade paints now and often water + vegetable dye based but long lasting and more eco friendly and less nasty to breathe in, there has never been more choice! So I did not want any shade of grey because everyone has that. The door has been British Racing Green before and was a dark Royal Blue. But in the end we went with a Provincial French Blue and love it! Okay it's as light blue and nearly grey but still I am bored of monochrome now! 🤣 this is how it looks now as, of last week ......

1497682491_2019-09-3011_23_50.thumb.jpg.8e1f1c880bc20bf9df4ada9d7bab8aa0.jpg

Very nice. And I loooooooooooove that Deco window!

My own front door is peeling a bit, I'll probably paint it.
I understand red is good Feng Shui...the landlord might not understand, though! Maybe red-ish, or a nice 30's green!

ilweran

Nice door. We're having new front and back doors soon (somebody might have managed to break all three panes of glass in the back door in one go... 😳). Back door we're just going white, but I've gone sage green with the front. I think it will be nice! Just have to pick the glass now, and I don't know what pattern to go for. I'd like reed but they don't do it, and my only strong preference is that it not be flemish pattern (that is what's there now and I don't like it at all!)

bastetly
Posted (edited)

Daniel, your door is stunning.  I've never seen a window quite like it.

katrinka, I could just swim in that magenta door!  I bookmarked it and may add some black around the trim and brick planters just to highlight, as in the picture!  So I googled the address on the front and it's in D.C.  But look:  the house is actually (surprise) Gray  It was going for nearly 2 million asking, and in the last 30 days increased by 30+ thousand.  I wonder if it's bc they painted the door LOL.  Or maybe it;s that dull gray that has everyone excited 

I remember those holographic car paint colors!  I knew a lady who did that to her Jeep, w underglow lights added.  It was very cheerful 

Edited by bastetly

katrinka

This thread came to mind when I saw this article. Claude Monet seems to agree with us: colors and patterns, done right, are the way to go. 🥰

https://dustyoldthing.com/claude-monet-colorful-house/

I'd much rather be in the company of Monet than those gray room designrs!

Flaxen
3 hours ago, katrinka said:

This thread came to mind when I saw this article. Claude Monet seems to agree with us: colors and patterns, done right, are the way to go. 🥰

https://dustyoldthing.com/claude-monet-colorful-house/

I'd much rather be in the company of Monet than those gray room designrs!

I love that! Those yellows are gorgeous. I’m looking at a kitchen redo in my house and really want that bright blue. I’ve been trying to persuade hubby that colour would be good but he’s of the ‘neutral will make it easier to sell’ school of thought.