What is your absolute go-to Tarot deck?

EmpyreanKnight

Tabula Mundi

I feel like I've learned more about how I read tarot in the 11 months I've had it than I did in the 13 years of reading I did before. Which surprised the hell out of me, but there it is.

My go-to deck for important readings is the Raven's Prophecy, it's the one I learned to read with and the artwork always speaks to me right off the bat. That said, I've been getting a lot of right-on-point readings from the Nicoletta Ceccoli deck lately as well, so that one is very quickly becoming a favourite as well!

I use my Mystic Dreamer most. Some cards in this deck are breathtaking. Like 3 of swords where the beauty and pain and the acuteness is so profound. And the devil which has a different spin. But mostly all cards follow the RW imagery.

They use real people with some twist, but some court cards don’t seem right to me. Queen of cups looks drunk, queen of wands looks more like a queen of pents..

My go-to deck for important readings is the Raven's Prophecy, it's the one I learned to read with and the artwork always speaks to me right off the bat. That said, I've been getting a lot of right-on-point readings from the Nicoletta Ceccoli deck lately as well, so that one is very quickly becoming a favourite as well!

I just got the Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot this past week. I've only done a few readings with it so far but am finding it very easy to read. Excellent deck!

I just noticed that no one vouched for a Marseille as their go-to deck. That's quite odd, since I know some local readers who unquestionably prefer it.

It was mine, once, and it probably will be again. I'm in the middle of revamping my method, trying to forget the gunk I've picked up along the way and get into a more streamlined reading method with it. Old habits are hard to break!

EmpyreanKnight

I just noticed that no one vouched for a Marseille as their go-to deck. That's quite odd, since I know some local readers who unquestionably prefer it.

It was mine, once, and it probably will be again. I'm in the middle of revamping my method, trying to forget the gunk I've picked up along the way and get into a more streamlined reading method with it. Old habits are hard to break!

And now you've got me curious about what these gunk reading techniques are. :) Tbh tho, once I feel that I have a firm handle on the Thoth and RWS, I'm going to ride the big kahuna that is the Marseille. There is something so primal and genuine about it. Right now, I'm gonna collect me some TdM's. ;D

And now you've got me curious about what these gunk reading techniques are. :) Tbh tho, once I feel that I have a firm handle on the Thoth and RWS, I'm going to ride the big kahuna that is the Marseille. There is something so primal and genuine about it. Right now, I'm gonna collect me some TdM's. ;D

One woman's gunk is another person's treasure, I'd end up starting a war if I went into it here, lol.

Suffice to say that I'm stripping it down to a clear and predictive number and suit method that can also be used with playing cards. It's really not a big kahuna - it's the simplest of the three, IMHO.

My University Press Rider Waite is my first and truest deck for reading for others.  For personal readings, the Ellis Deck has proved to be amazingly accurate.

Guess I'm the odd one because the Ancient Italian is definitely my go-to deck ;D

EmpyreanKnight

Guess I'm the odd one because the Ancient Italian is definitely my go-to deck ;D

Oh, but the Soprafino is gorgeous! ;)

When reading for others >> Definitely the Morgan Greer

When reading for myself >> Anna K or Morgan Greer

When reading for "relationships" >> Victorian Romantic or Anna K

I guess I have more go-to deck(s), than a singular one. :)

Though I have not been using it lately (because I am trying to get to know more decks in my collection) I would say if reading for others the Victorian Romantic Gold, unless it is a work related or financial type reading then I turn to the Fantastic Menagerie.  Readings I have done for others with this deck have gotten huge kudos and the amount of information I get with it has really shocked them.  When reading for myself, I will most likely use The Tarot of the Sweet Twilight, the Fey Tarot, or the Joie de Vivre.

EmpyreanKnight

and now Viceversa, I absolutely love it!

I have the Vice Versa Kit but I haven't opened it yet. I'm curious as to how you draw cards from it tho. Both the front and the back of the cards have images, so after shuffling and cutting the cards, won't you get tempted to put the pile with the auspicious card on top when you stack them up? Or do you shuffle/cut/stack the cards with your eyes closed? :)

The Greenwood Tarot! :)

I'm always so jealous  :P

mine would a RWS, it always gives me good readings and it still is one of my fave decks for imagery and symbolism.

EmpyreanKnight

Welcome to the Forum, Seven Metals! :) Just a question - does your username refer to the metals used to make high-quality singing bowls?

That would be the Mystical Cats Tarot for me. It's the one that 'talks' to me the most.  :)

I have the "Cats Eye Tarot"...its gorgeous looking, but the cards are kinda thick and harder to shuffle..

My fav deck is Gilded Tarot. Created by Ciro Marchetti

and now Viceversa, I absolutely love it!

I have the Vice Versa Kit but I haven't opened it yet. I'm curious as to how you draw cards from it tho. Both the front and the back of the cards have images, so after shuffling and cutting the cards, won't you get tempted to put the pile with the auspicious card on top when you stack them up? Or do you shuffle/cut/stack the cards with your eyes closed? :)

I DO close my eyes, or try to look elsewhere haHA! This deck has so many deep layers, it seems complicated at first but it’s not at all. It’s amazing. The only trouble is if I use a different deck I am starting to automatically flip the card over just for fun. All I see is that boring back. I’ve got the shuffling part down. I’m definitely going to get a backup or two, & I’ve only done that twice in over 40 years.

My go-to deck changes frequently. Right now it's either the Williams Minchiate or my standard RWS.

97 cards! I have to check it out. Yeah, my go-to decks have changed but right now I’m enthralled with Viceversa. I do NOT think it’s a fad.

EmpyreanKnight

My go-to deck changes frequently. Right now it's either the Williams Minchiate or my standard RWS.

Just looked at the decks in your profile and Holy Moly at all of them Minchiates! So that's why your alias is "the minchiman". :D I'm also very glad that you like the Williams Minchiate a lot - I do too (along with his Renaissance) but it seems like many people don't, thinking the art too austere. I love it to bits tho I still have to deeply delve into the book.

Also, it seems like Lo Scarabeo is planning to re-release the Minchiate as its third offering in its Anima Antiqua line. Just a heads up, but you might already know this. :)

EmpyreanKnight

I DO close my eyes, or try to look elsewhere haHA! This deck has so many deep layers, it seems complicated at first but it’s not at all. It’s amazing. The only trouble is if I use a different deck I am starting to automatically flip the card over just for fun. All I see is that boring back. I’ve got the shuffling part down. I’m definitely going to get a backup or two, & I’ve only done that twice in over 40 years.

This is exactly how I thought I'd use it if I were to. Thanks Canid! I also love how passionate you are about the deck. :))

fire cat pickles

The Williams Minchiate book is the best one on the subject IMO. It comes from a scholarly approach.

I didn't know about the new Minchi coming out---thanks for the tip!