Doing Magic When You're Not Feeling Magical

RavenOfSummer

I'm sure I'm not the only one who comes up against this from time to time so thought I would post and see what others have to say...

Sometimes I'm in a mode where I feel very connected, seeing the magic in everything, and it's easy for me to practice. Other times not so much, and even lighting a candle on my altar feels beyond where I'm at. I'm wondering, what do you do when you are not feeling particularly magical? Do you practice anyway and see if that elevates you? Do you have particular things you do to try to shift your energy? Do you wait until the feeling passes? The problem with the latter is sometimes I can feel stuck in that space if I don't do anything to shift my energy. Curious what others do/think!

I have had that problem lately actually.  I am a vegan (Well... depending on how you define it, let's say, I don't eat meat or dairy and enjoy helping people who WANT to stop eating those things to do so, that's as far as it goes...)  but I really feel best when I am a little bit fasted, and eating mostly raw fruits with just a small salad or steamed veggie meal.  When I am like that?  I feel connected to myself and nature and it's wonderful, however I still have cravings, and when I am stressed?  I EAT.  I've been majorly stressed lately about my kitten chasing my larger cat ALL THE DANG TIME, about my job, about money situations, about joining forums when I haven't been social in years (hehehehe)  and many other things.  So I've been EATING.  Vegan eating yes, but instead of light fruits and veggies and lots of juice and fasting?  I'm eating bread and peanut butter and vegan chocolate and potatoes and LOTS OF IT.  Needless to say, I do not feel as connected as I'm used to feeling.  

My tendency has always been to be like "Well I can't read tarot or meditate or make music until I get my diet under control!"  And usually I really do just make that happen in a few days.  But this has been going on for a few weeks now, and I realized that I can't let it stop me from doing what needs to be done.  So I mean, while it's not really much of a method or anything, I just decided that I had to have faith that the magic would come through even if I didn't feel so connected.  That maybe the divine intelligence would take care of my lack if I just had faith and went for it.  

I honestly can't tell you if it's worked or not cause so far my big test was doing a reading for Spider from this forum and they haven't gotten back to me about it so I don't know if my intuitions were all wrong or not haha but I did make myself use my singing bowl first, and I was very careful to be patient with each card before saying what I felt, and I did feel like I connected to my higher self for it, and I think it went well.  My theory is that when you aren't feeling it, you can still do it, you just won't FEEL as good about it and may have more anxiety or have to have more faith it just works.  But obviously it's really nice when you feeeeel connected and you have that inner knowing that it worked.  But yeah, that's my experience with this.  

Feelings tell us that something is off and not right. Did you try to really get into that feeling? Connect with it? Talk to it? Find out where it is coming from and what it tries to tell you? Most of the time if we accept feelings they will pass and I believe the more we accept a feeling we are not very fond of, it will pass quicker.

I’m an introvert, and this very much happens to me when I’m burned out/overstimulated. I have to take time to ‘retreat’ in order to have any energy for practise. Also, my sense of connection ebbs and flows with the seasons - I’m far more attuned during autumn and winter, and it’s taken many years for me to recognise and learn to work with this instead of struggling with it. 

I think we have to be really kind to ourselves, sometimes we may be less energetic / less motivated / burnt out/ tired, even apathetic, whatever term we want to use and other times we are full of energy and enthusiasm. We all have cycles of moods and feelings, as well as things to deal with in our lives which challenge us at times. I don't think there is a instant magic answer to change those funks, we just have to accept it and do what we can in that moment. I find the same thing with divination, sometimes I want to do a huge spread, spend a long time with it, with candles and ritual everywhere and other times just throwing down 3 cards with nothing special around it, is exhausting to do! Whatever you feel able to do is enough for that moment 🙂

When I don't have the energy and motivation I do one of two things. I have a break to restore and come back to it or I do it in a really cut down way. Just lighting a candle and having an intention is perfect when you are low in energy / mood / motivation, keep it simple and basic. Do the bigger things when you feel able to. I do know for me that those phases will pass in the end! I would warn though that if you just have a long break from magic or divination or your interests, there is a chance you won't come back to them. I have seen people on forums feel burnt out and then lose interest in it totally. I would recommend reducing it down so it works for you or a small stepping away from it. If you leave it too long, it's so hard to come back to! Just my experiences but the secret here is to be kind to yourself, no need to beat yourself up if you can't do a 3 hour elaborate magic ceremony , do what you can and feel like ❤️🙂

15 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

I think we have to be really kind to ourselves, sometimes we may be less energetic / less motivated / burnt out/ tired, even apathetic, whatever term we want to use and other times we are full of energy and enthusiasm. We all have cycles of moods and feelings, as well as things to deal with in our lives which challenge us at times. I don't think there is a instant magic answer to change those funks, we just have to accept it and do what we can in that moment. I find the same thing with divination, sometimes I want to do a huge spread, spend a long time with it, with candles and ritual everywhere and other times just throwing down 3 cards with nothing special around it, is exhausting to do! Whatever you feel able to do is enough for that moment 🙂

When I don't have the energy and motivation I do one of two things. I have a break to restore and come back to it or I do it in a really cut down way. Just lighting a candle and having an intention is perfect when you are low in energy / mood / motivation, keep it simple and basic. Do the bigger things when you feel able to. I do know for me that those phases will pass in the end! I would warn though that if you just have a long break from magic or divination or your interests, there is a chance you won't come back to them. I have seen people on forums feel burnt out and then lose interest in it totally. I would recommend reducing it down so it works for you or a small stepping away from it. If you leave it too long, it's so hard to come back to! Just my experiences but the secret here is to be kind to yourself, no need to beat yourself up if you can't do a 3 hour elaborate magic ceremony , do what you can and feel like ❤️🙂

Great advice!

Saturn Celeste

Also, we're coming into fall.  This is the season we start wrapping up our summer fun and foods and start to get ready for winter.  There is still a lot of work to be done before winter so we might be more active in other tasks aside from fun stuff like swimming.