Sola Busca

EmpyreanKnight

It is not that it is fragile, but it is really not meant for use.  No back design, though not necessary!  Each card is like a wee piece of art that should be framed and mounted on the wall.  It is a beautiful deck and I fear marring it by using it!

EmpyreanKnight

LoS's Anima Antiqua release of the Sola Busca is now OOP. I knew I should have purchased a duplicate copy given how in demand the previous editions of the deck were. I know it's Limited Edition, but I hope that they release it again.

EmpyreanKnight

Just checked if the LoS Sola Busca might perchance be available again, but in Amazon it's $300+ used and $800+ brand new. Prices are more reasonable (tho still excessive) in eBay, tho they'd have to be imported. But really, just lol at those prices. I mean, you can get a luxurious Mayer or Scarlet Imprint release for around $100.

Well twas good while it lasted. Lesson learned. ;)

You're quite correct, when I heard that the central thesis of the Game of Saturn is that a shady cabal of rich Renaissance Italians from the very best families practiced sinister occult rituals (that sometimes included human sacrifices) to propitiate Saturn, the Roman god of wealth and plenty, so that they can maintain their riches with all its attendant power and privileges - well when I read that I was a bit skeptical. I know it would be highly interesting if a bit speculative, but at this point I would prefer a helpful set of card meanings so that I can begin working with the cards well. I also want to learn the stories behind the intriguing historical characters in the deck's majors and courts. I am not dissing the book tho, and maybe someday I will get a copy for myself but right now, to be pragmatic I just want a framework with which I can work with the cards themselves.

I have the book and it has the stories of the historical characters in a straight-forward way. I have listened to a couple of interviews with the author, and in one, he was saying that he was fascinated by the deck because in his view, it is the only completely pagan deck with no christian influence whatsoever, and appears to have more of a mithraic influence. That the artist had their own pretty negative cosmology, but it carried alot of much, much older knowledge.

BUT I have the book and haven't read it yet, so I can't say for sure, but this is a great podcast interview with the author:

https://tunein.com/embed/player/t122456438/

You're quite correct, when I heard that the central thesis of the Game of Saturn is that a shady cabal of rich Renaissance Italians from the very best families practiced sinister occult rituals (that sometimes included human sacrifices) to propitiate Saturn, the Roman god of wealth and plenty, so that they can maintain their riches with all its attendant power and privileges - well when I read that I was a bit skeptical. I know it would be highly interesting if a bit speculative, but at this point I would prefer a helpful set of card meanings so that I can begin working with the cards well. I also want to learn the stories behind the intriguing historical characters in the deck's majors and courts. I am not dissing the book tho, and maybe someday I will get a copy for myself but right now, to be pragmatic I just want a framework with which I can work with the cards themselves.

I have the book and it has the stories of the historical characters in a straight-forward way. I have listened to a couple of interviews with the author, and in one, he was saying that he was fascinated by the deck because in his view, it is the only completely pagan deck with no christian influence whatsoever, and appears to have more of a mithraic influence. That the artist had their own pretty negative cosmology, but it carried alot of much, much older knowledge.

BUT I have the book and haven't read it yet, so I can't say for sure, but this is a great podcast interview with the author:

https://tunein.com/embed/player/t122456438/

On 12/11/2018 at 3:15 AM, Laevatheinn said:

...when I heard that the central thesis of the Game of Saturn is that a shady cabal of rich Renaissance Italians from the very best families practiced sinister occult rituals (that sometimes included human sacrifices) to propitiate Saturn, the Roman god of wealth and plenty, so that they can maintain their riches with all its attendant power and privileges - well when I read that I was a bit skeptical.

Same story. I just finished reading this book, and I want to say that this theory from the author is a complete absurdity. Peter Mark Adams – another science fiction writer in the community of tarologists.

Good thing, I found a buyer for this "book." (for resale).

On 6/16/2018 at 4:18 PM, EmpyreanKnight said:

Just checked if the LoS Sola Busca might perchance be available again, but in Amazon it's $300+ used and $800+ brand new. Prices are more reasonable (tho still excessive) in eBay, tho they'd have to be imported. But really, just lol at those prices. I mean, you can get a luxurious Mayer or Scarlet Imprint release for around $100.

Well twas good while it lasted. Lesson learned. 😉

They are bringing out a non-limited version in May (Europe) and presumably later in the US. So says their catalogue.

fire cat pickles
1 hour ago, gregory said:

They are bringing out a non-limited version in May (Europe) and presumably later in the US. So says their catalogue.

I've wanted the Sola Busca for a while but the cost was prohibitive. This is good news

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Sola Busca Tarot
Paola Gnaccolini

appears to be coming from LoS/Llewellyn in July 2019. the colors are incredible,

https://smile.amazon.com/Sola-Busca-Tarot-Museum-Quality/dp/0738761168/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g3905707922?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

Llewellyn shows cards

https://www.llewellyn.com/product.php?ean=9780738761169 and just says there is a delay. 

Edited by AJ-ish/Sharyn

I know it’s not the real thing or meant to be , but I love my sola busca deck it is the one I use every night . I’m not a collector so I keep what I use and out with what I don’t. I would never let this puppy go reads true and awesome with a bit more in there . When I first looked at them I thought nope ,but they have never let me down not once . I have the tarot by seven 

Saturn Celeste
7 hours ago, Lefty28 said:

I know it’s not the real thing or meant to be , but I love my sola busca deck it is the one I use every night . I’m not a collector so I keep what I use and out with what I don’t. I would never let this puppy go reads true and awesome with a bit more in there . When I first looked at them I thought nope ,but they have never let me down not once . I have the tarot by seven 

Lefty, how do you read the majors?

I only had difficulty with the strength spot , I believe it’s more on the fortitude feel , that drive to survive through hellfire and brimstone. I just read them they are a very powerful deck and not to busy . They are not distracting with all the extra stuff or hidden pictures. I read the majors like rws but with the feeling from these pics and they are strong! I will do a spread pic and my interpretation some where , I find it very easy to use and I love looking at them !

I love the Sola Busca and I would dearly love to have a proper commercial deck. My deck is one I printed myself from images I found online. It's beautiful but not very usable (printed on gloss photo paper so it sticks a bit). I also really want a book, but I think my allocation of the majors might be controversial. In fact, if I can ever get hold of the Game of Saturn, I'd like to begin research to write a booklet for using them myself, if no one else does it first.