Ru Paul Tarot

gregory

I had hopes for it, too, but it's just a novelty deck, now that I see the cards. I'm too broke to afford working decks, much less novelty decks, so I won't put this one on my wish list.

Saturn Celeste
43 minutes ago, gregory said:

but half the point is the awfulness

Yeah, pretty awful!!  I love Drag Race and Ru Paul very much and would follow Ru to the ends of the earth but this deck really sucks.  Too bad!  It is also not endorsed by Ru Paul or the production company.

Putting Ru Paul's name on something that is not endorsed by Ru Paul sounds like something they could get  Cease & Desist for.
I'd encourage anyone who is considering this thing to strike while the iron is hot, It could end up being quite rare and hard to get.

I would buy this as a novelty if it was official or endorsed 🙂 I am amazed the author got it in so many mainstream selling places! A lot of Facebook Drag Race Fan groups promoted the deck in the last year when I search about it. According to the reviews on amazon, they are just pictures of contestants and Ru on the cards, they have no symbolism or linking to tarot whatsoever apart from this queen is spooky, so she is death lol!

I have been following on the internet a deck by a NYC artist for a few years where she has drawn different Queens for each card, it is a thing of beauty! But she is so slow at making, I think it took 5 years for 10 cards. I can't even remember what it is called but must search for how far along it is now but it was beautiful!

As much as I love Drag Race, I'll pass at least until I hear about the deck from someone who has bought it. Seeing how narrow that box is, those cards must be paper thin.

EDIT: Ok, so from the included vid, the box looks thick enough that the cards might not be paper thin.

Edited by Rodney

Ahem. I have bought it, and as I say, it is pretty dire. But the card stock, while not the greatest, is not what I'd call paper thin. What fascinates me is how anyone can say it is based on RWS. I shall be trying to figure that one out later.

But if was there and it was cheap. And I wanted to buy a deck. So hit me!

I'm glad you got it, gregory! I was worried you'd pass this one up but then regret it later on. It's probably not going to be a top seller and that's the collectible thing about decks---the ones that aren't real popular are the ones that will be rare someday. Good for you, girl---you got it! 😄

On 10/24/2019 at 1:35 PM, gregory said:

@FLizarraga

There is one. It's as dire as Ru Paul. You need it.

https://www.amazon.com/RuPauls-Drag-Race-Tarot-Cards/dp/1925811271

Huh! It's not as bad as people seem to think, IMHO.

I mean, it's definitely NOT a Tarot deck, AT ALL. Obviously, whoever made this did not have the faintest idea of what Tarot is, beyond the card names.

But it is fun. Someone familiar with the show (I confess I'm not, despite being queerer than the proverbial 3-dollar bill) could use it as a joke reading, or even as a lighthearted oracle. I can imagine pulling a single card as advice. And it is definitely going into my (admittedly bottomless) wish list.

Honestly, I can't even use it. I bought it because I am a huge fan of Drag Race, but it just doesnt mesh with tarot very well at all.

The majors werent too bad, but the entire minor arcana is like an afterthought and the cards match the queens loosely at best. It's a nice collector deck or novelty, but trying to read with it was just such an abysmal experience.

What I would love is a well-thought-out Dragula deck....hopefully in time!

Edited by Guest