I Never Thought I'd Ever Say This----

Grizabella

I'm now suddenly overcome with inspiration to create a Tarot deck. No art work yet----just making notes.  Will I ever actually get it done?  Who knows? We'll see but it's a very strong urge and inspiration so I'll post again when I get a little further along.  My thought processes---maybe because of the age I am or the medications I take or my inflammatory condition (or all of those)----I tend to become scattered rather easily but this seems promising so I'll post again if anything really happens.

I must say, though, that I don't have a clue how to go about creating a mainstream deck, so maybe I'll just create one-----just one handmade deck-----maybe I could pull that off.

Haha! Happy to Have you on board here!:D I'm just making (long overdue) How to create your own Tarot deck Art Tutorial!;D

& just finished my cheat list!;D Maybe you can take a look & tell me what you think? any tip how to make it even more artist friendly or tips for people who don't have idea what Tarot is or where to start?;)

Art guide for creating your own Tarot deck

How to Major Arcana Reference Guide

Card

No.

Name

Meaning Keywords

Symbol

The Fool

Upright; Adventure, Carefree Ignorance, Free Spirit,

Innocence, Naivete, New Beginning,

Reversed; Careless Risk Reckless Spontaneity

little white dog

cliff

Sunny Day

I

The Magician

Upright: Magic, Mastery over Elements, Manifestation Skill

Reversed:Trick, Manipulation, Illusion, Deception

Infinity Symbol

4 elements/suit symbols

lily & roses Day

II

High Priestess

Upright: Intuition, Insight, Hidden Inner knowledge, Divine Truth Goddess Wisdom Abstinence

Reversed: Secret teachings & Mysterious Silence

Unknown Circumstances & Oppression Absence

2 pillars black & white

Crescent Moon

Book/Scroll

Night

III

The Empress

Upright: Mother Nature Nurture Creativity Abundance

Reversed: Cruelty, Spoiled, Smothering, Excess,

Nature scenery outside

Venus symbol

Day

IV

The Emperor

Upright: Ruler, Order, Father Authority, Power

Structure, Ambition, Rationality,

Reversed: Oppression, Tirany, Domination, Chaos, Anger,

Mountain Goat

Mars

Orange

Day

V

The Hierophant

Upright: Faith, Religion, Morality, Beliefs,Tradition, Legacy,

Reversed: Dogma, Servitude, Convenience,

2 gray pillars

keys

Day

VI

The Lovers

Upright: Your Heart Choice, Union, Love, Relationship,

Reversed: Conflict, Undecisivness, Wrong Choice,

Angel of love

Day

VII

The Chariot

Upright: Progress, Will, Determination, Self Control,

Reversed: & lack of above, Misdirection, Bump on the road, Opposition, Restrain, Stuck

transportation

Black & White Sphinx

Opposing Driving Forces

Day

VIII

Strength

Upright: Strength, Courage, Conviction, Compassion

Reversed: Weakness, Cowardice, Insecurity, Doubt

Infinity

Maidenvslion

Day

IX

The Hermit

Upright: Search for Wisdom, Contemplation, Insight, Awareness

Reversed:Solitude, Isolation, Withdrawal, Loneliness,

Lamp

Night

X

Wheel of Fortune

Upright: Fortune, Destiny, Fate, Cycles

Reversed: Luck Change, Chance, Misfortune,

Wheel

Day

XI

Justice

Upright:Truth, Fairness, Law, Karma Cause and Effect

Reversed: Injustice, Inequality, Dishonesty, Unfairness

Scales & Sword

Day

XII

Hanged Man

Upright: Change of Perspective, Illumination trough suffering, Gain/Knowledge trough Sacrifice, Martyrdom,

Prudence,

Reversed: Feeling Helpless & Trapped, Caution, Pause, Suspense, Delay, Stalling, Resistance, Indecision,

Upside down

XIII

Death

Upright: End of Cycle, New Beginnings, Life Change, Metamorphosis

Reversed: Fear of Change & Unknown, Clinging, Stagnation, Decay, Obstacles & Resistance,

Scythe

XIV

Temperance

Upright: Moderation, Middle Path, Patience, Equilibrium

Understanding,

Reversed: Extremes, Disbalance, Discord,

mixing water & wine

Day

XV

The Devil

Upright: Manipulation, Materialism, Limitation & Self imposed schuckles, Restriction, Addiction, Indulging, Vices

Reversed: Temptation, Detachment, Resentment

*Whatever you think Temptation & Vice Should look?;)

Night

XVI

The Tower

Upright: Foundational Shift, Illuminating Disaster,

Reversed: Above Avoided, Resilience, Fear of Change

Lightning

Night

XVII

The Star

Upright: Guide Hope Vision Wish Rejuvenation Healing

Reversed: Despair, Disorientation, Disappointment

Star

Night

XVIII

The Moon

Upright: Dream, Unconscious, Wild Nature, Illusion

Reversed: Confusion Suppressing Misinterpretation

Moon

Night

XIX

The Sun

Upright: Success reason for Happiness Pleasure Optimism

Reversed: Exposure, Negative Light

Sun

Day

XX

Judgement

Upright: Reflection Wake up call Awakening

Reversed: Lesson Learned, Starting Over

Trumpet

XXI

The World

Upright: Fulfillment, Perfect Conclusion & Harmony , Completion,

Reversed: Feeling Empty & Incomplete

4 evangelist/cardinal of zodiac in each corner; angel eagle top &

ox & lion down

*Note; I'm not including All symbols for each card but most recognizable for each as this guide is to help artist turn their art into Tarot deck!^^

How to Court Cards Reference Guide

Court Cards facts;

*Represent actual people/ person querent may interact in RL

*Court Cards Don't have numbers but court hierarchy instead usually;

** Pages represent youngest teens & children

** Knights (Adult)

** Queen & Kings (Mature & Older)

*There are 4 mentioned Court Cards in Each of 4 Suits=16 in total

Easy way to distinguish Court Cards is;

All 4 Court Cards of Same suit/element have hold their Suit symbol & Hierarchy rank symbol in card design;

i.e Queen & King have crown & Knight is a Rider & Page is Only Court Card without crown or ride!;)

How to Numbered/Pip Cards Reference Guide

Numbered/pip Cards facts;

*There is 10 Numbered Cards in each of 4 suit=40 in total

*Usually presented with;

** Number of suit symbol & meaning is determined according to suit element & numerology (aka pips, Marseilles & Thoth) or

**Illustrations according to meaning (aka *fully Illustrated Tarot deck & RWS is 1st of it's kind!;)

Eta; Anyone Feel free to use this list anyway you like but please credit & link so we can see what you do?;D

Thank You!^^

All Best!MyLuckyCard

reall/Irena

Edited by reall

eta my next tutorial will deal with technicality side of How to?;D

Btw I totally recommend Making Your Own Tarot & Oracle deck! it's Best Thing You Can do to discover more about your self & find your strenght & Healing!;D

so by All means if it's not to hard for your body Go For It!;D I'll Help with tips & All just Ask!;D

All Best!

MyLuckyCard

reall/Irena

InfernalTarot

I'm about a third of the way thorugh the creation of my deck. I get massess of inspiration and motivation to push forward... then it sort of ebbs away slightly when 'real life' kicks back in with work and jobs and the mundane stuff. I've learned that it's best to just START. Do something. Even if it doesn't make the final cut, or you end up going in a different direction with your deck.

Start. And then keep going at whatever pace suits you. Good luck! Hope to see some of your results when you're ready to show them!

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who’s creating a tarot deck 😀 Mine is not using any of the traditional imagery, it’s an intuitive photographic deck that uses a more simplistic symbolism without the occult layers. It’s great to see how different everybody goes about doing their own deck. For me it started with an oracle deck and I have just done the final second version of it and look forward to have it in my hands soon. My tarot deck is coming along pretty nicely too, I think I’m about 90% done. I’m also working on a second oracle deck on the side, that’s sort of a tribute to my ancestors 🙂 But I am only creating for myself thus far. I have no plans of selling my decks as of now. 

I have now finished my deck its got traditional imagery and now i'm writing a LWB to go with it.

I want to self purplish it through TGC shop. 

Edited by Arcadia

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I have now finished my deck its got traditional imagery and now i'm writing a LWB to go with it.

I want to self purplish it through TGC shop. 

Congratulations!!

8 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Congratulations!!

Thanks, its been a long journey and i'm glad i continued with it.

Edited by Arcadia

Wow, look at all of us creative folks! How exciting! As I sit here now, I still find it mind-boggling to think I might actually create a deck. I'm working on gathering things for a forest oracle made of things found in the forest around me, which I can conceive of as being do-able, but a whole Tarot deck seems such a daunting process. I'll probably start by just setting my goal as being the creation of a Majors only deck to start out with.

Saturn Celeste
On 10/25/2019 at 12:21 AM, Grizabella said:

I must say, though, that I don't have a clue how to go about creating a mainstream deck, so maybe I'll just create one-----just one handmade deck-----maybe I could pull that off.

Stay on it Griz!!  You have so much knowledge within you do it! 

For about a month now I've been thinking of making my own deck too.  I know the direction of the deck and the suits and it will have to be a collage because I have no artist talent at all in me but go for it Griz!!  We can compare notes! 😊

I’m very excited for you all 💗 Yesterday I received the reworked final edition of my intuitive oracle deck. It’s now in black and white. I haven’t had a chance to unbox it yet because we have family members visiting us, but soon... and you can probably tell how nice it will look once I’ve edged it to match that dark back ☺️

So I’m super excited!! 

1DEDD483-D892-4A33-8841-AE913A38985A.thumb.jpeg.e5cdb348c6a18f80aaec6f22305d7c33.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

(...) So I’m super excited!!

I admire your patience. I would have ripped that open within a second, no matter who's visiting 😅 How exciting!

36 minutes ago, jupiter said:

I admire your patience. I would have ripped that open within a second, no matter who's visiting 😅 How exciting!

I had to make sure the kids were occupied elsewhere first. Now they are watching a movie so I went ahead and took the plunge... I will only provide a quick picture for now but I love how the cards came out. As I said previously, my first version was in color but I decided to change it into an aged black and white look. This is much more aligned with my initial vision 😊 There are 70 cards in this deck  and no keywords or titles on the cards. It’s meant to be read intuitively. I can’t wait to start experimenting with it! 

614A96ED-4F4F-4E48-8F3F-6B47B663AEDA.thumb.jpeg.576876a37c5951660197ed79feac8b84.jpeg

2 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I had to make sure the kids were occupied elsewhere first. Now they are watching a movie so I went ahead and took the plunge... I will only provide a quick picture for now but I love how the cards came out. As I said previously, my first version was in color but I decided to change it into an aged black and white look. This is much more aligned with my initial vision 😊 There are 70 cards in this deck  and no keywords or titles on the cards. It’s meant to be read intuitively. I can’t wait to start experimenting with it! 

614A96ED-4F4F-4E48-8F3F-6B47B663AEDA.thumb.jpeg.576876a37c5951660197ed79feac8b84.jpeg

I absolutely LOVE this. I somehow missed that you were doing this, but the messages just leap out at me - it feels like I could read with this so fluently. Is this going to be on sale...? I would absolutely be on board.  

@Grizabella - go for it! 😎 Would love to see what you come up with. I've also had occasional thoughts about how I could improve on the Wildwood system, but I'm not ready to take that plunge yet. 

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

I absolutely LOVE this. I somehow missed that you were doing this, but the messages just leap out at me - it feels like I could read with this so fluently. Is this going to be on sale...? I would absolutely be on board.  

I’m glad you like it! I will feature more pics later (but probably not in this thread as I don’t want to steal it from Grizabella). I wasn’t planning on selling the deck, at least not on a larger scale. I might decide to print a few extras that friends could acquire from me. If I do then I’ll drop you a pm 😉

7 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I’m glad you like it! I will feature more pics later (but probably not in this thread as I don’t want to steal it from Grizabella). I wasn’t planning on selling the deck, at least not on a larger scale. I might decide to print a few extras that friends could acquire from me. If I do then I’ll drop you a pm 😉

Superb! 😎 Will look forward to seeing more...

On 11/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, Wanderer said:

Superb! 😎 Will look forward to seeing more...

I will show better and more pics eventually but this gives you an idea 🙂

Wow! @Raggydoll you totally nailed it with that bnw look!:) it gives uniformity & serious deep to it & you have great talent for pic design!;D

bet your tarot will look awesome as well!;D keep us posted!;)

8 hours ago, reall said:

Wow! @Raggydoll you totally nailed it with that bnw look!:) it gives uniformity & serious deep to it & you have great talent for pic design!;D

bet your tarot will look awesome as well!;D keep us posted!;)

What a compliment! Thank you so much, I really appreciate you saying so!

46 minutes ago, reall said:

yes, i'm pro by now & this definitely have pro design look to it so keep it roll'n!;D

You sure are, thanks ❤️

I haven't done anything like this in ages. (Holy cats, it's been 11 years since my woodburning oracle, and photobucket is holding it hostage! https://fennario.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/i-make-oracles/)
But my general advice is to decide on your concepts and find/make images to match those, NOT vice versa...

ETA: More here - https://fennario.wordpress.com/2013/11/24/so-you-want-to-get-creative/

Edited by katrinka

16 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I haven't done anything like this in ages. (Holy cats, it's been 11 years since my woodburning oracle, and photobucket is holding it hostage! https://fennario.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/i-make-oracles/)
But my general advice is to decide on your concepts and find/make images to match those, NOT vice versa...

ETA: More here - https://fennario.wordpress.com/2013/11/24/so-you-want-to-get-creative/

That’s great advice and what a fun project! I’ve burnt my own wooden runes but now I’m definitely more sold on making cards. I agree that it’s best to have a clear vision first. One other thing that was important to me was to make sure that my deck was balanced (that’s not something you have to worry about when making a tarot deck though) so I divided the cards into three mental categories (complex/difficult, neutral, positive/promising) and then counted them. Just to make sure that even though the deck looks dark it won’t just give gloomy readings 😁

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.