IndigoGypsy

What Movie From Childhood 'Awoke' Your Mystical Path?

IndigoGypsy

Growin up in the 80's...😍

If it wasn't for television/books, when I was a kid..I wouldn't have had any magickal encouragement.. outside of for my own lil inner voice of course ..OMG definitely my "wake up" movie  was "Teen witch"💕

I always believed in magick  but not really understanding why? Or where those feelings came from. 

That movie did it for me. Finally.. I saw Magick in the city! Magick at school! No warts..frogs..or bumpy noses. What..you mean witches can be regular people??? What??!! They can be teens? I thought you had to be old!  It was like  Aww man..I knew I wasn't crazy..it's on! 

RavenOfSummer

What an awesome topic, @IndigoGypsy! I also grew up in the 80s/90s (born '82), never heard of that movie Teen Witch though! Will have to check it out for sure 🙂

My movie was definitely Labyrinth, the Jim Henson movie starring David Bowie. I first saw it when I was 8 years old and I was so entranced by the magical world, and as I grew and watched the movie more I identified so much with the main character Sara. "Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered..." "For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great..." she was telling a story but also chanting a spell of personal power. That movie had a huge impact on me for sure. As I grew up I learned that it was a movie other "unusual" people like myself, who didn't fit in with the mainstream, were also attrached.

Also, David Bowie. Enough said.

david bowie labyrinth GIF

IndigoGypsy

Oh Yes! Labyrinth!! Wat was I thinking?? "dance magic dance"! Yea...that was definitely a fav🤗 my kids even love this one

RavenOfSummer
22 minutes ago, IndigoGypsy said:

Oh Yes! Labyrinth!! Wat was I thinking?? "dance magic dance"! Yea...that was definitely a fav🤗 my kids even love this one

Ooh, so cool you are sharing this with the next generation! 😀

LoveLightPeace

Hi @IndigoGypsy,

Just wanted to let you know that the thread was in the wrong area of the forum, so I moved it to Chatter Box for you. Great thread, BTW! :thumbsup:

The movies that I was allowed to watch growing up was very limited. But, I was able to watch some classics that inspired my mystical path which were The Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins. 

legendaryelement

My viewing was also very limited while at home, so most of what I saw that had anything remotely "magical" was at my aunt's. She had cable! LOL

There was an episode of the TV show "BJ and the Bear" where the main character meets a woman who is a witch. The townspeople burn her house. That really made me feel like I had seen/known that world before.

Movie-wise, I think it would be The Last Unicorn and the cartoon versions of The Hobbit and Lord of Rings/Return of the King.

IndigoGypsy
On 10/30/2019 at 7:42 PM, LoveLightPeace said:

Hi @IndigoGypsy,

Just wanted to let you know that the thread was in the wrong area of the forum, so I moved it to Chatter Box for you. Great thread, BTW! :thumbsup:

The movies that I was allowed to watch growing up was very limited. But, I was able to watch some classics that inspired my mystical path which were The Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins. 

Thanks 🤦 I noticed that..but I couldn't fix it..lol!

katrinka

There was no movie.
My dad took me to the circus when I was very small. As we were leaving we passed a fortuneteller's tent. There was a bored-looking old broad sitting in there at a little table with a huge crystal ball on it, and I could see clouds moving in it. I hung back, transfixed, and my dad pulled me along saying it was fake (which I'm sure it was.)
But it was too late. I was marked for life. 🤣🤣🤣

ilweran

Not a movie, but the tv series 'Robin of Sherwood' had a great influence on me.

xTheHermitx

hmmm...due to my family not being "well off", I didn't start seeing movies until my teens (early 80's) at friends houses on cable. And then, it was stuff more like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Cheech and Chong etc...stupid "guy" movies

I did see The Omen and The Exorcist back then, but by then, I was already interested in magic and the occult. I actually remember watching horror-esque type movies to see how "legit" the portrayal of the metaphysical content was. Most of it was pretty "off point" and comical. 

My initial interest came from mom reading the Tolkien books as bedtime stories to us; that imagery leading me to heavy metal music and D&D, and the art associated with that. Also my interest and study of my Scandinavian heritage always had me immersed in the Norse myths

loveheartlight

I have always loved the Care Bears and as a child, after watching an episode, I'd feel some sort of warm softness in my chest. I did not have the vocabulary nor the knowledge to identify that as a heart chakra invitation to awaken, but looking back now, that's what I am inclined to believe. I wish there were a Care Bears oracle card.

But the movie that truly blew my mind was Contact based on Carl Sagan's novel. I won't spoiler for those who haven't seen it.

Symph
On 10/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, RavenOfSummer said:

What an awesome topic, @IndigoGypsy! I also grew up in the 80s/90s (born '82), never heard of that movie Teen Witch though! Will have to check it out for sure 🙂

My movie was definitely Labyrinth, the Jim Henson movie starring David Bowie. I first saw it when I was 8 years old and I was so entranced by the magical world, and as I grew and watched the movie more I identified so much with the main character Sara. "Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered..." "For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great..." she was telling a story but also chanting a spell of personal power. That movie had a huge impact on me for sure. As I grew up I learned that it was a movie other "unusual" people like myself, who didn't fit in with the mainstream, were also attrached.

Also, David Bowie. Enough said.

Omg YES... I used to watch this over and over and OVER again.  It is soooo magical and amazing, I always think of that scene where he's blowing the crystals away, the music playing there is the most magical thing I've ever heard..... 

I don't necessarily feel any movies affected my choice to get into magic, my decision came more from books and youtubers etc.  But the new version of Dark Crystal on Netflix definitely didn't hurt.  The old wise oracle lady does a lot of magic that seems based off real stuff.  The whole movie hints at esoteric concepts and it's just beautifully done.  Holy cow I JUST realized I'm talking about a Jim Henson film too LMAO   Wow I guess I'm just a real sucker for the magic of Jim Henson...  😅

jupiter

Definitely The Last Unicorn. We had a tape recording that I would watch over and over again, and I remember how I cried when my dad recorded another show on that tape, erasing the movie.

Symph
5 hours ago, jupiter said:

Definitely The Last Unicorn. We had a tape recording that I would watch over and over again, and I remember how I cried when my dad recorded another show on that tape, erasing the movie.

Ooooo I know the movie of which you speak, that is definitely one of those 80's cartoons that has a very special vibe.   Some scenes did creep me out a bit though, I mean there's this, triple boobed bird  thing in it...  😳  

cap003.jpg

But yes outside of the nightmares that gave me it was a pretty good film!  😆

Edited by Symph

Arch

I think the first thing that evoked my interest in the magical was the old Fantasia of Disney.

I think it made a pretty deep imprint because I still have flashbacks to the imagery in certain situations.

71745d6b22f45f0871babd03613c7a56.jpg&f=1

Annabelle

My access to TV and movies was pretty limited as a child -- I watched a lot of TV, but we only got three channels (and even then, only when the weather was clear!) and my mother was quite adamant about restricting what I was allowed to watch. 

So there was no moment of magical awakening for me as a child. What awakened my interest in witchcraft were some Scott Cunningham paperbacks that my first serious boyfriend lent to me in the early '90s.