Hush Tarot

RavenOfSummer

RavenOfSummer

It looks like US Games has a few new decks coming out, including the Hush Tarot by artist Jeremy Hush. According to the page:

"Hush Tarot beckons readers to explore an alluring world where animal and human spirits are unified, and even the smallest creatures like ravens and hares have great significance. At times, they appear lost in the weeds but there is always a hidden clue guiding them to the way out. The fascinating characters and landscapes are illustrated with lush detail inspired by a 19th century aesthetic that explores natural forms in various states of life and decay. Hush Tarot offers a shift in perspective that reveals profound answers to life’s mysteries."

I think the art is quite lovely. Some unusual imagery- I'm not sure how I'd connect with it for reading. I'm going to look out to see more of this deck.

HSH78_deck.thumb.jpg.148d52e430d109f36b7355f74cbacbc0.jpg

HSH78_deck3.thumb.jpg.1fd2076c43cecefcd6766746aa0b1c9f.jpg

HSH78_deck6.thumb.jpg.b58f22998de9dd7e2075f3125c673cf3.jpg

I'm not sure about the symbolism. It's lovely, though.
The Magician seems to be evoking the Gelert mythos...not sure about that lynx head, though!
I'll be watching this one. Thanks.

If you do an image search for the artist, the artwork from the cards pops up immediately, so this might be a case of forcing existing artwork into a deck.

Too bad, it really IS gorgeous...

RavenOfSummer
On 11/5/2019 at 9:03 PM, katrinka said:

I'm not sure about the symbolism. It's lovely, though.
The Magician seems to be evoking the Gelert mythos...not sure about that lynx head, though!
I'll be watching this one. Thanks.

On 11/6/2019 at 8:31 AM, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

admire the art, not seeing the tarot at all. 

Agree with you both!

On 11/6/2019 at 10:17 AM, -fenrir- said:

If you do an image search for the artist, the artwork from the cards pops up immediately, so this might be a case of forcing existing artwork into a deck.

Too bad, it really IS gorgeous...

Ahh, THAT makes sense. That possibility actually crossed my mind, but I couldn't find any information to confirm. But that would definitely explain why we're all getting that kind of vibe. And I agree, it is gorgeous!

It does appear to be force fitted. These things never turn out well.
The art is still wonderful, but it would be a headache to read with. The choices would be to either ignore the art, or ignore the card meanings. I don't like doing either.

What a pity they didn't simply call it an oracle... I can't see the tarot structure either. Some of the Kings are humans, others animals, and for me, birds work best for Swords, maye for Pentacles or Wands, but not so much for Cups... It's a surrealist style, reminds me of Brian Froud or even, from far, of the artist of the Holocaust trauma, Samuel Bak. The Tarot of the Secret Forest has a similar atmosphere. I quite like it - as an oracle. The Oracle of Nature's Nightmares 😉 

On 2/1/2020 at 5:28 AM, Nemia said:

What a pity they didn't simply call it an oracle... I can't see the tarot structure either. Some of the Kings are humans, others animals, and for me, birds work best for Swords, maye for Pentacles or Wands, but not so much for Cups... It's a surrealist style, reminds me of Brian Froud or even, from far, of the artist of the Holocaust trauma, Samuel Bak. The Tarot of the Secret Forest has a similar atmosphere. I quite like it - as an oracle. The Oracle of Nature's Nightmares 😉 

I totally agree.

I just purchased this deck, and I didnt see the head as a lynx, but as the head of a wolf. And as the wolf had some ropes around his paws... I think it might be Fenrir, one of Loki's childeren. 

But then again, what has it do with a Magician ... 

Edited by Thuisheks

Yeah, the head looks feline, but the body doesn't. So who knows.

I've looked at this deck a few times. Been tempted but have always decided against buying it. My rule of 1 in, 3 out really focusses the mind...

The body is very canine. But I'm not so sure it's been decapitated. Maybe it killed the lynx and then was also killed.

This is NOT a wolf's head. Wolves are not brachycephalic. If it were canine, it would be something like a Chow Chow, which it obviously isn't.
It's a badly rendered lynx head.