Music for Readings/Studying Tarot

Symph

This may not be the best place for this thread, because really it's about study music, but I am looking for music with "Tarot Feels" lol  I'm creating a playlist online for when I do start doing readings on skype or in my home, and also to just put me in a midieval/earthy/magical/whimsical kind of mood.  I have been using a lot of oriental traditional folk songs, some hindu religious pieces on sitar, lots of celtic/druid music, and some classical.  Do you guys have instrumental/spiritual new agey music you dig?  Anything that just helps you to connect to your cosmic self or to the earth or whatever, I already have some good stuff but it's getting kind of samey.  Peter Kater and Derek Feichter make up most of my list.  

Lemme know if you also like instrumental mood music when you read/study Tarot and what you listen to!

Oh and it can be anything, electronic suggestions are fine just so long as they don't compete for my mind's attention and still have a "magical" feel to them.  

Edited by Symph

I have been gravitating towards things like the Bach Piano Inventions;

anything from the Well Tempered Clavier

https://open.spotify.com/album/4lcF5yO9wlRP34awxXElPm?si=xMZh1tyUS2S2LYVRqiUlrg

for some reason, baroque era music for one or two instruments always gets me in the mood

on the flip side, I have also really been enjoying some of the modern atmospheric black metal/post black metal soundscape stuff by groups like SAOR, Agalloch, Fen. For some reason, this music allows me to get lost in the waves os sound that I hear...most would think it is not "Calming", but I don't why, it does it for me

also really like to use minimalist stuff by Steven Riech, Phillip Glass; Terry Riley etc...

and recently, have been really, really, getting into the RAV Drum music from Nadishana, and actually plan on getting one of these drums to play. This one is the specific one I want:

so beautiful, especially the way the tones ring over each other...

Saturn Celeste
2 minutes ago, xTheHermitx said:

and recently, have been really, really, getting into the RAV Drum music from Nadishana, and actually plan on getting one of these drums to play. This one is the specific one I want:

Oh very interesting!  I subscribed, thanks for the links!

I listen to brain wave music when I read.  I can't get into anything too 'musicy' because I get distracted.  I have a few vids of the sounds of the planet Saturn I love!

5 hours ago, xTheHermitx said:

I have been gravitating towards things like the Bach Piano Inventions;

anything from the Well Tempered Clavier

https://open.spotify.com/album/4lcF5yO9wlRP34awxXElPm?si=xMZh1tyUS2S2LYVRqiUlrg

for some reason, baroque era music for one or two instruments always gets me in the mood

I do love that style, but the harpsichord instrument is too stiff for me haha I really like Vivaldi I think he's from the same era.  When it comes to classical though I'm more into like... Maurice Ravel, Claude Debussy, and Chopin.  Sometimes finding stuff that isn't overly dynamic can be hard when it comes to classical.

on the flip side, I have also really been enjoying some of the modern atmospheric black metal/post black metal soundscape stuff by groups like SAOR, Agalloch, Fen. For some reason, this music allows me to get lost in the waves os sound that I hear...most would think it is not "Calming", but I don't why, it does it for me

Listened to the first album by SAOR, love the vibe but it did drone on a bit too long for me, do you have a favorite album by them?  I do love my metal, though I'm usually more into the Pantera/Sepultra/Metallica thrash metal kind of stuff.  And of course I mean "back when Metallica was cool" 😉  lol

also really like to use minimalist stuff by Steven Riech, Phillip Glass; Terry Riley etc...

I'll have to check out Steven Riech and Terry Riley, I've heard some Phillip Glass stuff though and I liked it!  It's been a while I forget what he sounds like but he was one I meant to check out further and never did.  

Oh yesss I love that stuff, I've followed a few of those drummers on Instagram.  I really could add some of that to my playlist for sure!  Thanks for all your suggestions!

9 hours ago, Symph said:

I do love that style, but the harpsichord instrument is too stiff for me haha I really like Vivaldi I think he's from the same era.  When it comes to classical though I'm more into like... Maurice Ravel, Claude Debussy, and Chopin.  Sometimes finding stuff that isn't overly dynamic can be hard when it comes to classical.[\QUOTE]

I actually also love the Impressionist era guys like you mentioned...second fav era behind the late Romantic era (1850's 1920's).

9 hours ago, Symph said:

Listened to the first album by SAOR, love the vibe but it did drone on a bit too long for me, do you have a favorite album by them?  I do love my metal, though I'm usually more into the Pantera/Sepultra/Metallica thrash metal kind of stuff.  And of course I mean "back when Metallica was cool" 😉  lol [/QUOTE]

hellz yeah!! grew up in the first wave of thrash in the '80's...got to see Metallica with Cliff; Anthrax on the Among the Living tour; Slayer on Seasons tour. Saw Pantera on the Cowboys Fromo Hell tour in a little club here in town that my bands always played. We knew all the security guys, so they let us come hang out for load in and sound check. We ended up eating dinner that night before the show with Vinnie Paul, T. Rex, and some of the crew while Dime and Phil went down to Ohio State's campus to find pot. Interestingly enough (and tragically) it was at The Alrosa Villa...the same place where Dime was killed years later... AND, interestingly enough, my band was supposed to open for them that night, but our singer could not do the show. The rest of us were there when it happened though...

...I hear ya about the SAOR stuff getting "droney"...I think their most recent album is the best...Forgotten Paths. When I do listen to this tye of music, it is only in small doses, or when I am on ling road trips. You also might want to check out Insomnium or Ne Obliviscarus as well...a bit more melodic and "structured"

9 hours ago, Symph said:

I'll have to check out Steven Riech and Terry Riley, I've heard some Phillip Glass stuff though and I liked it!  It's been a while I forget what he sounds like but he was one I meant to check out further and never did.  

Oh yesss I love that stuff, I've followed a few of those drummers on Instagram.  I really could add some of that to my playlist for sure!  Thanks for all your suggestions!

yep, the minimalist stuff can get awesome to get lost in. For Reich, check out Music for 18 Musicians and Ngoya Marimba's first...I am partial to those being a percussionist for a living

On 11/7/2019 at 9:06 AM, xTheHermitx said:

hellz yeah!! grew up in the first wave of thrash in the '80's...got to see Metallica with Cliff; Anthrax on the Among the Living tour; Slayer on Seasons tour. Saw Pantera on the Cowboys Fromo Hell tour in a little club here in town that my bands always played. We knew all the security guys, so they let us come hang out for load in and sound check. We ended up eating dinner that night before the show with Vinnie Paul, T. Rex, and some of the crew while Dime and Phil went down to Ohio State's campus to find pot.

That is flipping AMAZING!!!  I actually think Dimebag is the greatest metal guitarist of all time.  His solos are transcendent!  My wife doesn't appreciate metal, but one time I made her get really high with me and listen to a bunch of songs heavy in Dimebag solos and she had never had an experience like that.  She responded like a kid who just saw a spaceship land she was just 🤯🤯🤯 the whole time lol

On 11/7/2019 at 9:06 AM, xTheHermitx said:

I hear ya about the SAOR stuff getting "droney"...I think their most recent album is the best...Forgotten Paths. When I do listen to this tye of music, it is only in small doses, or when I am on ling road trips. You also might want to check out Insomnium or Ne Obliviscarus as well...a bit more melodic and "structured"

Listening to Insomnium's first album... hehe not so great for my Tarot playlist, but it still RAWKS.  This reminds me a bit of viking metal!  Yeah these guys are cool I'm gonna keep listening to them thanks!

On 11/7/2019 at 1:17 AM, Saturn Celeste said:

I can't get into anything too 'musicy' because I get distracted.

Me too, at least for the first framework (I'm not that secure with my card meanings yet, so I need it quiet). Plus, I usually listen more to oldschool hardcore punk, that doesn't really work with tarot :bubble_bwtf:

Afterwards for pondering deeper I like stuff with little to no lyrics (I'd normally never choose), it varies from pretty dark post metal like Amenra over If These Trees Could Talk to sugary sweet Sigur Rós, depending on my mood. Caught myself with the Lords Of Salem soundtrack on repeat once too 😉 

3 hours ago, -fenrir- said:

Me too, at least for the first framework (I'm not that secure with my card meanings yet, so I need it quiet). Plus, I usually listen more to oldschool hardcore punk, that doesn't really work with tarot :bubble_bwtf:

Afterwards for pondering deeper I like stuff with little to no lyrics (I'd normally never choose), it varies from pretty dark post metal like Amenra over If These Trees Could Talk to sugary sweet Sigur Rós, depending on my mood. Caught myself with the Lords Of Salem soundtrack on repeat once too 😉 

Yeah Sigur Ros is a good one, my wife introduced me to them.  What kind of punk bands do you like?  I'm reeeeeally into first wave punk from like 77 to 80, bands like Wire, Buzzcocks, The Vibrators, The Rezettos, and The Stranglers etc...  That's actually the kind of music I make except with a sort of... poppy beatles influence in there too.  

old school hardcore/punker here as well....still straight Edge actually (hence the x's in my screen name)....loved the DC area stuff: Minor Threat, Teen Idles, SOA, Bad Brains, Government Issue...also the west coast sXe stuff like 7 Seconds, Youth Brigade. Suicidal Tendencies is a huge influence on me as well as Stalag 13

Also into original crust punk stuff: Crass; Discharge; and the UK '82 stuff like The Subhumans, GBH...early " Summer of 69" skin/Oi stuff too...4 Skins; The Templars; Sham 69; 

love the 90's "Second Wave" of sXe crust like Strike Anywhere; Aus Rotten; Casutic Christ; Gorilla biscuits; Good Clean Fun;

DEFINITELY the first wave of Swedish/Scandy hardcore like Vitamin X, DS-13, Skit System; 

all the Slap--Ham power violence groups like Spazz, Crossed Out, Magrudergrind; Capitalist Casulaties

love it short, fast and loud!!!

evilgrapefruit

I quite like like Jai Jagdesh 'Expand into Intuitive Knowing (Ek Ong Kar Sat Gur Prasad)', stuff by the Mediaeval Baebes and as embarrassing as it is, I do quite like the music on 'Fifty Shades of Grey - The Classical Album' 

@Symph@xTheHermitx Might get OT here 😉

Spoiler

When it comes to the "legends", I'm more a NYHC girl (Agnostic Front, Hatebreed, Biohazard, Skarhead, Warzone but strangely never Soia, dunno why).

And second to Aus-Rotten ❣️Loved Wolfbrigade (when they still were Wolfpack), Negative Approach & Poison idea as well.

From the present day bands mainly First Blood, from most other bands only like half of the songs (like Born from Pain, Anticops or the older Nasty stuff) as it tends too much to metalcore for my taste.

BTT: Tried this brainwave music, but somehow it only gets me tired...

On 11/13/2019 at 10:30 AM, -fenrir- said:

Hide contents

When it comes to the "legends", I'm more a NYHC girl (Agnostic Front, Hatebreed, Biohazard, Skarhead, Warzone but strangely never Soia, dunno why).

And second to Aus-Rotten ❣️Loved Wolfbrigade (when they still were Wolfpack), Negative Approach & Poison idea as well.

From the present day bands mainly First Blood, from most other bands only like half of the songs (like Born from Pain, Anticops or the older Nasty stuff) as it tends too much to metalcore for my taste.

I've never even heard of a lot of those which is cool cause now I have a list of bands to check out hehe the only one I had heard of was WoldBrigade.  They are really cool though for sure.  I was listening to them when I was going through a big Queens of the Ston age phase.   I like Stoner Metal bands too like Fu Manchu and Clutch.  Though Fu Manchu like... basically makes the same song over and over, it's still a good song haha

On 11/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, xTheHermitx said:

old school hardcore/punker here as well....still straight Edge actually (hence the x's in my screen name)....loved the DC area stuff: Minor Threat, Teen Idles, SOA, Bad Brains, Government Issue...also the west coast sXe stuff like 7 Seconds, Youth Brigade. Suicidal Tendencies is a huge influence on me as well as Stalag 13

You just seem cool as hell lol  I love Bad Brains, you also have people listed that I'm unfamiliar with and will have to give a listen to!

On 11/12/2019 at 2:08 AM, evilgrapefruit said:

I quite like like Jai Jagdesh 'Expand into Intuitive Knowing (Ek Ong Kar Sat Gur Prasad)', stuff by the Mediaeval Baebes and as embarrassing as it is, I do quite like the music on 'Fifty Shades of Grey - The Classical Album' 

Listening to the first one... it's AMAZING.  I love those types of midieval harmonies, and this IS the kind of thing I could probably have on while studying Tarot.  Jai Jagdeesh is great too!  It almost reminds me of Adele with a middle eastern flair.  And ok now I gotta hear this 50 shades of gray music lolll *listens*  Oh!  There's nothing embarrassing about liking this, it's real classical music haha!  Did you realize these are all actual pieces from historical classical composers?  Doesn't matter that it's attached to that film, it's still just good classical music.  I love it too, thanks for sharing!

@Symph I love Fu Manchu!!! They remind me of The Minutemen, who probably influenced every west coast alt band ever...from Suicidal Tendencies to Primus, The Minutemen are all over!!

reading this thread just reminds me of how much music there is to check out, and how little time there is to do it!! 

2 minutes ago, xTheHermitx said:

@Symph I love Fu Manchu!!! They remind me of The Minutemen, who probably influenced every west coast alt band ever...from Suicidal Tendencies to Primus, The Minutemen are all over!!

reading this thread just reminds me of how much music there is to check out, and how little time there is to do it!! 

Naw man, there is forever time.  Time is not real, there is the ever present now.  There is the ever present now to do it.  🤘

3 minutes ago, Symph said:

Naw man, there is forever time.  Time is not real, there is the ever present now.  There is the ever present now to do it.  🤘

truth....I will make my own time!!!

6 minutes ago, xTheHermitx said:

Omg dude I'm so distant, I'm trying to break through it lmao  I always like think this deep shit and just type it, and then I'm like "bro, you didn't connect, that was distant fool!!"  

Karp.  Karp is like... so underrated, rare, fun, and hard to find.  The one notey singing can get a little annoying if you focus on it, but if you just pay attention the the wall of sound/attitude?  Omg they are so heavy amazing.  

Don't let the repetitive nature fool you, it's interesting lyrically and musically, it's just... this is what happens when revenge of the nerds goes grunge haha

11 minutes ago, Symph said:

Omg dude I'm so distant, I'm trying to break through it lmao  I always like think this deep shit and just type it, and then I'm like "bro, you didn't connect, that was distant fool!!"  

Karp.  Karp is like... so underrated, rare, fun, and hard to find.  The one notey singing can get a little annoying if you focus on it, but if you just pay attention the the wall of sound/attitude?  Omg they are so heavy amazing.  

Don't let the repetitive nature fool you, it's interesting lyrically and musically, it's just... this is what happens when revenge of the nerds goes grunge haha

yeah. Karp is not bad. I don't mind this vibe of music. Reminds me of some the first wave of post punk stuff on Dischord Records in the late 80's/early 90's...I tried to Spotify them, but got (I think) a different band

1 minute ago, xTheHermitx said:

yeah. Karp is not bad. I don't mind this vibe of music. Reminds me of some the first wave of post punk stuff on Dischord Records in the late 80's/early 90's...I tried to Spotify them, but got (I think) a different band

Yeah they took em off spotify it was stupid, I had a whole playlist that got deleted 😞  I dunno I really dig that sort of... tongue in cheek dissonant vibe, same with pixies and breeders.  And I meant to quote myself up there, I'm not really paying attention to what I'm doing lol

On 11/13/2019 at 11:30 AM, -fenrir- said:

Hide contents

I loved the first Agnostic Front album...Victim In Pain...also the early Cromags stuff...

funny cause to me, Hatebreed was the beginning of metalcore...I tried reeeaaallll hard to get into Biohazard and Warzone, but just couldn't. All of my friends were, but I just didn't feel it. Same with the Misfits and Dead Kennedy's...I always "got in trouble" with my punk friends for not liking those 2 groups.

Aus Rotten and Caustic Christ were just awesome!!! I loved a lot of the Havoc Records stuff, and Felix Havoc stayed at my house one night after a show here in town..

8 minutes ago, Symph said:

Yeah?  What kind of bass is it?  

2001 Hamer Korean reissue of the 1983 model. Same bass that Rick Savage of Def Leppard played. The first 3 DL albums are legendary to me...

Just now, xTheHermitx said:

2001 Hamer Korean reissue of the 1983 model. Same bass that Rick Savage of Def Leppard played. The first 3 DL albums are legendary to me...

I agree actually.  It was one of my first introductions to heavy music outside of like... beatles, I love Def Leppard...

1 minute ago, Symph said:

I agree actually.  It was one of my first introductions to heavy music outside of like... beatles, I love Def Leppard...

I think you are the first person ver to consider the Beatles "heavy"...

and I really dig the Karp stuff....wish it was on Spotify. They seem to be the influence to stuff like Prong; Clutch;

reminds me that you shouldcheck out the band From Ashes Rise out of Portland....they are like Karp at 300 miles an hour!!!

Do you have Spotify?

Edited by xTheHermitx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.