Blasianpersuasion

The Bright Side To Negative Cards

Blasianpersuasion

So ykno we all pull those “bad” cards or what we subjectively might think are bad/negative cards. Yea actually, negative might be a better word! Anywho, I did a reading once and for the position of “positive aspects of this union” got the eight of swords. And I was like huuuuh? And so I had to do some searching around to see it in a positive light. I found “feeling/being there for someone during emotionally traumatizing times” and in my cosmic tarot deck there are two people surround by swords and connected by the puddle of water they are both in so it actually made sense! So it got me curious. What are some positive meanings to cards that you usually would consider “negative” cards. 

stephanelli

In the Creative Tarot Circle we're working with the Five of Pentacles at the moment and @Grandmareally got me thinking about aspects of this card.

I'm sure Grandma won't mind me sharing it here because I can't express it any better and it's so appropriate here:

"This often maligned card represents pain, rejection, hardship and sickness and loneliness and abandonment and on and on, but it also represents the possibility of hope, safety, recovery and warmth.  If the weary travelers in the typical RWS depiction changed their perspective they would see the welcoming lights of the church that they are passing by."

I love the thought that if you're feeling like the people outside the church then it might simply be that you need a new perspective and actually there is the things you need available to you if only you knew where to look!  

Rodney

I believe ALL the cards have positive and negative aspects to them so I don't see ANY of the cards as inherently good or bad.

• The 5P can show someone who is there for you through thick or thin, someone who is your ride or die in today's slang.
  • As I've said for years, everyone assumes the woman in the RWS 8S is a victim. While she can be, she also can be blocking out all external stimuli so she can just think since Swords are also about thoughts.
  • The Tower can represent orgasm or that AHA! moment of discovery or realization.
  • Someone at Aeclectic had the 10S come up as a chiropractor's appointment. I could also see it referring to massage, acupuncture or acupressure.
  • The 9S could show someone thinking through what's the worst that could happen.

Happy to examine specific cards if people would care to mention them.

ArmadilloAmor

I agree with @Rodney and believe all cards have dual positive and negative meanings, based on the context of the spread.

One of my friends told me today that she was concerned because the Tower card kept popping up in all of her readings. Personally, the Tower is one of my favorite cards in tarot. Whenever it pops up in my readings, I ask myself either, "What aspects of my life feel out of control/am I trying too hard to control?" or "What aspects of my life feel out of my control, and where do I need to take control back?" It can be a really positive power card to reflect on.

I used the Tower because it came up in conversation today, but I believe any card that comes across as "negative" in a spread is just a card that signifies that personal reflection is needed in the situation. 

Rodney

My own personal positive Tower moment was when Thirteen back at Aeclectic talked about how all of the minor suits discuss emotions, not just Cups. Each suit discusses a different type of emotions. At that point in my tarot journey, I still thought that Pentacles talked about money, the body or health. It never occurred to me that they could also discuss grounded, long-term, stable emotions, deep friendships and the like. My mind felt just like the top blowing off the Tower, instantly opening up my tarot world to new input and ways of looking at the cards.

gregory

I learned a HUGE amount from Thirteen's takes on stuff, too. Her main meanings info is all still up there.

3 hours ago, Rodney said:

I believe ALL the cards have positive and negative aspects to them so I don't see ANY of the cards as inherently good or bad.

• The 5P can show someone who is there for you through thick or thin, someone who is your ride or die in today's slang.
  • As I've said for years, everyone assumes the woman in the RWS 8S is a victim. While she can be, she also can be blocking out all external stimuli so she can just think since Swords are also about thoughts.
  • The Tower can represent orgasm or that AHA! moment of discovery or realization.
  • Someone at Aeclectic had the 10S come up as a chiropractor's appointment. I could also see it referring to massage, acupuncture or acupressure.
  • The 9S could show someone thinking through what's the worst that could happen.

Happy to examine specific cards if people would care to mention them.

I'm totally with Rodney - I was one who had 10 Swords show up as a happy marriage and my sitter totally got it.

Eric

I've used the 5 of Pentacles as two people choosing to live away from and outside of how society says they should live. 

I've used the 10 of Swords as letting someone know they have suffered yes, been stabbed in the back by people close to them and now its time to move on. 

Negative cards can also serve as a warning to the sitter that something is about to happen and simply be prepared for it. I have no qualms about using them that way. 

DanielJUK

I love to think up alternative perspectives for cards because they are always so nuanced in my readings. Here are some of my ideas....

The Devil - The Devil can be great lustful sex, let's face it! and if you are into bondage or s & m, it's a great card for it. Sometimes people want power dynamics where one person is more dominating. Also I think it can reflect people who have a bond like soul mates or a natural connection. Depending on how you feel about marriage I think it can be portrayed by this card, it is ultimately a contract between two people and some people who are very negative about marriage would say about the ball and chain of it, patriarchal marriage and the ownership of another. I used to believe that and vowed to never marry but I think I am mellowing as I get older 🙂

The Tower - this can also be sexual, it's so phallic for great sex! On a different tact I have had times in my life where I was really depressed and just stuck and honestly having a stagnant stuck life is awful! I fought against change and if you fight and fight, eventually the tower happens, you cannot escape it! change is a constant! It might seem like a disaster in the short term but like Sheryl Crow once sung "A change would do you good". Also if your foundations are going to collapse, it's better to find that out as early as possible, the tower might not have been built so high!

4 of Cups reminds us of what we are missing, we are missing opportunities because we are not looking out for them! The 5 of Cups reminds us of what we do have! In RWS and other decks, 3 cups spill on the floor but 2 remain upright! The person in the black cloak faces the spilt cups on the floor but if only he just looked around and saw the full cups left upright, not everything is lost. Both cards have a similar theme of looking out for what our emotions are making us miss! The 4 because we are apathetic and the 5 because we are mourning or sad.

3 of Swords is positive for emotional healing, swords through the heart is just awful but it's about the recovery and release. You can let the emotional pain go now.

9 of Swords is a wake up call (literally like the card) to work out your fears, to confront them and work out what is real! We have all had sleepness nights worrying and worrying about something the next day and then you realise the worst part of it was the worrying in bed! Our imaginations can conjure up things far worse than we will ever meet in reality. Things are rarely as bad as you think or imagine they are.

10 of Swords I find this an oddly soothing card, this is the very worst it's going to get! Like the 3 of Swords, it's now all about the recovery. So how do you get back on your feet off the floor? Also the sun rising in the background of many versions of this card offers hope.

some ideas 🙂