Symph

Tonight I Saw Firsthand The Power of Tarot

Symph
17 hours ago, katrinka said:

I'm old, but not quite hippie-old. 😆
When I picked up the cards, it was more of a glam/hard rock scene. Platforms and sparkly stuff, Bowie ca. "Hunky Dory", that kind of thing.
Some of my friends were older and they were hippies, though. I knew a lady with macrame all over her place that she made herself, she wore long skirts and brewed amazing...tea. But Texas never had standard, peaceful hippies. In Texas, the hippies had to fight, so it was different. 

Freddie King is bomb. He used to play Austin a lot, so much that Jim Franklin did murals of him http://music.blog.austin360.com/2016/12/28/40-years-gone-blues-legend-freddie-king-was-a-giant-at-armadillo-whq/

Glam rock and the punk scene that came out of it are just about my favorite styles of music, it has influenced everything from how I write songs and sing, to how I dress and talk.  Bowie feels like he's my spirit animal sometimes hahaha for real though, I've been feeling like the spirit of bowie has been watching over me, not quite so literally but somehow he's been a part of this tarot journey.  (Doesn't hurt that I use his deck!)  Fighting hippies sounds like an SNL episode lol  And that mural is cool but why is their an armadillo busting out of his heart.... wtf lol I love it though.  

Symph

6 hours ago, devin said:

On the other hand, divination by applying a system or using psychic ability is, imo, making use of natural laws or forces and is not transcendent or supernatural in the true sense. That being said, the oldest theologies hold that we can know something of God through the observation of natural processes and that the world itself comes into being via celestial choirs of angels. So, if you're thus inclined, God and the angels are still most definitely in the picture even when it comes to 'natural' divination.

Yessss I'm still figuring it all out but I'm pretty sure mystical christianity is what I want to follow as a life path, mixed with Taoist principles, and I really understand what you mean about "getting out of the way" like... in life, in general, not just in Tarot.  I get a lot of epiphanies and have a lot of experiences with downloads and that kind of thing, last night I actually had what to me felt like an "aha" moment, and I kept saying "Don't try to be good for God, let God be you, let God BE you"  It was like I grasped what the mystics of the east mean when they say to be "empty" and "make yourself like a cup", God wants to flow through us, but you can't be in the driver's seat to allow this.  Somehow though, once you give God full control?  You find yourself more in control than ever before it's... so hard to explain but I'm beginning to grasp it and even utilize it somewhat.  

I still wanna figure out what angels ARE though, they can appear to people in a human-like form, and yet they also appear to be pillars of energy, and then people say they are "angles of light", so figuring out what an angel even is has been really hurting my brain lol I still believe in em though, and I'm starting to try and contact them a bit, so far no dice though.  

1 hour ago, loveheartlight said:

Symph, please know that I am proud of you. You brought me back to my first wonder at the cards. For that, I am eternally grateful. Can I tell you something? A few days ago I came across some videos on YouTube denouncing Tarot and divination. It struck me, really. I felt sinful and guilty and this morning I prayed to God and said I was sure down to my bones He hated me. I also prayed that if He loved me then please send me something to tell me that. And then I read this tonight. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This has touched my heart so much, and good grief do I feel for you.  I think I may be able to help a bit honestly because what you speak of has been the constant battle of the last 3 to 4 years of my life.  My family is conservative christian and they are serious about it.  All my life I have been told by my mother how "deceitful the heart is" and how I should "listen to the word of God, not my feelings", I mean she DRILLED that into my head.  And I believed it most of my life, so I developed this anxious way of living where I'm always on guard, "Am I being deceived??  Is THIS ok??  Is THAT ok???"  Well once I got pushed to the point where I realized I was sick, depressed, and I didn't even know how to express myself, I kept feeling what I consider to be the holy spirit leading me to conclusions about love and how it casts out fear.  I started to think "God couldn't possibly WANT me to be this imprisoned in my own body!"  

Now I am well versed in the Christian scriptures, I have read them over and over and over, and before people told me how to interpret them?  I LOVED them, they changed my life.  I saw no hell in this book, I saw messages of forgiveness, love, trusting God, being good to your neighbor, and how selfless acts of kindness connect you to the kingdom of heaven, which is within you.  It all seemed pretty clear to me, but when I espoused my views of the book to others I'd hear things like "Well yes... but God is still JUST, and he is SOVEREIGN, and he requires OBEDIENCE..."  And it would take the wind right out of my sails, I'd think "Oh I must be reading it wrong".   Ok this is gonna be a long post but I really wanna share this stuff with you.  Last 3 years of my life?  I've been on a mission to figure this stuff out.  I had to know the truth, am I in danger of hell?  Or is what feels right ACTUALLY right.  Here is what I've come to realize.  

The people who are always telling you that the bible condemns you for this, condemns you for that, who make you feel scared about how you're living and what you're doing?  They RARELY are following the book like they claim, and often times don't truly know that much about it other than what they learn from pastors/churches etc.  The bible tells them to give their every waking minute to God, to be willing to be homeless for him, to trust him in all situations, to never question his love, to not judge others, to seek the kingdom within above all else, and to never fear.  

But usually these people spend most of their time worrying about their lives and situations, protecting the things they own, never meditating never going within to find the kingdom, and seeing lines of separation between themselves and the world around them, aka JUDGING everything.  None of this is what they were commanded to do, they do not walk in pure love, but then they condemn anyone who does things they perceive to be forbidden in the bible.  

The Bible says that Jesus freed us from the law and entered us into the age of grace.  Now we are FREE in christ, and it says that the "one who is free in christ is free indeed".  Paul in the epistles says "All things are permissible to do, just not all things are beneficial"  he's literally saying "Now that you're free in christ?  You can do whatever you want without fear of judgement, just know not everything you do will be good for you".  Jesus said that the holy spirit would lead us into all truth, he did not say "truth is found only in a book that won't be created for another 500 years".  

When you really examine the claims of many christians, you start to realize how contradictory it all really is.  God supposedly loves you unconditionally, yet places many conditions on his love.  He tells you to trust his love and never be afraid, but if you don't do it right?  He'll TORTURE YOU FOREVER!!  Think about that for a sec, that's like a husband telling his wife "I love you unconditionally and I want you to trust that fully baby... just know that if you don't I'm gonna tie you up and beat you mercilessly".  That would be psychotic behaviour would it not?  

There's this whole crazy thing going on where the "people of the book" are falling into the very trap that their own book warns them over and over again about!  It tells them that the "teachers of the law" the pharisees?  These were the religious jewish bible thumpers of Jesus' time, they got rebuked over and over for listening more to the scriptures than to the heart of God inside them.  Jesus would chastise them over and over for thinking more truth was to be found in the scriptures than in their loving experience of the divine.  

How interesting is it that the people who are supposedly so "free in christ" literally can't do anything.  They will tell you not to meditate, so not even free enough to clear their own minds!!  Tell you not even READ other holy books, lest you "lose your faith".  That's ridiculous, if you know something is true it will be true no matter what you look at or where you go, if you have to not look at things to "protect your belief", you don't actually believe it.  Believe is something you are convinced of, it's not a choice.  

I too still get afraid sometimes over this cause the programming runs so deep, I've discussed it many times on this forum.  There's more I could say I should start a podcast or something, but just know, I have looked into these things, I have read their book, I have deeply DEEPLY looked into these things to see if there is any way they are right and all of this is wrong.  But the truth is?  Those that yell the loudest about all those "evil things" you shouldn't do?  Are the ones who are living the least like christ.  Christ didn't go around making people afraid, he went around healing and comforting them and showing them the unconditional love and mercy of God.  

Just a few final thoughts.  Christians will tell you astrology is evil too, but it's all over the bible, if you look into it, astrological symbolism is a huge part of the book.  They will tell you all forms of divination and magic are bad, and yet admit that it was "three magi" who "watched for the star of the baby Jesus".  Ummm... that means they were magician astrologers HELLO!!  And these people try to use the bible to shut everyone down because it is the "INFALLIBLE WORD OF GOD", but this idea of the bible being inerrant?  It didn't even exist until about 200 years ago!  Before that people felt free to interpret the bible in different ways.  And before they decided on the cannon of scripture in AD 500, people read many different scriptures and didn't necessarily believe everything they read.  It wasn't until a roman emperor said "I don't like some of these scriptures but I do like these other ones, I want my empire to be united so we need to make an official cannon, we will call it THE WORD OF GOD, and if anyone questions it?  We'll kill them".  That's how that went down basically.  

@loveheartlight Phew!  Sorry to be so long but just... what you said struck such a chord with me cause it could not hit home harder.  But I want you to know, I have felt your heart in the things you write, and you are a beautiful soul.  It can be difficult to not let a sincere christian get to you when they warn you of these things, but just know that if one goes on the journey of truly seeking these things out to see if they're true?  They don't hold water, it doesn't make sense.   Follow your heart, "for out of it comes the outflow of the spirit of God"  That's a paraphrasing of a bible verse, but the message is intact.  Cheers!!

Edited by Symph

loveheartlight

Symph, you are my friend and my brother. Thank you for your impassioned words. I shall savor them. There's nothing more I want to add to that. Hey, this deserves beer!

Symph
3 minutes ago, loveheartlight said:

Symph, you are my friend and my brother. Thank you for your impassioned words. I shall savor them. There's nothing more I want to add to that. Hey, this deserves beer!

Except I gotta get away from that stuff so tea for me!!! hahahaha so glad you feel better 🙂

Marigold
2 hours ago, Symph said:

I'm pretty sure mystical christianity is what I want to follow as a life path, mixed with Taoist principles

These two paths meet nicely and will not get you confused. Sounds like a good choice. There's not much difference as far as I can see between Christian mysticism and the Tao. I think they are more like blood brothers.  If you'd said you were wanting to follow for instance the Tao and Hinduism at the same time, or Christian mysticism and Buddhism, I would have been a bit worried. 

2 hours ago, Symph said:

"Don't try to be good for God, let God be you, let God BE you" 

My principle spiritual mentor sort of yelled at me (nicely) in an email the other day when I'd written to him about something. He said something like "haven't you learned by now that all you do is for the glory of God and not for your own sake ? Are you still after all this time still expecting God to do things for you ? How dare you insult this great teaching ??" I was really glad for this rap on the knuckles.

I remember once having an epiphany once with one of my favourite quotations "Be still, and know that I am God." It means BE THE STILLNESS, not just take some action to be still. We ARE that stillness when we are in that state. There's not god and you.. there's only the Oneness. 

2 hours ago, Symph said:

Just a few final thoughts.  Christians will tell you astrology is evil too, but it's all over the bible, if you look into it, astrological symbolism is a huge part of the book

I can't remember where now, perhaps in Genesis, it says that God made the planets for SIGNS. It can't be more explicit than that.

You're on your way Symph. It's going to be a rough ride and a beautiful ride. You're going to have to die daily. But it's worth it. You really rock. 😎 Here, a bit of Rancid for you. Rancid rock too. 

Oops... wrong song. But I'll leave it 'cos it's one of my favourite Rancid songs.

I wanted to post this one :

Edited by Marigold

katrinka
5 hours ago, Symph said:

And that mural is cool but why is their an armadillo busting out of his heart.... wtf lol I love it though.  

Partly because it's a Texas thing, and partly because Franklin likes putting armadillos in odd contexts. He's got them holding up the Eiffel Tower on the banner here https://jim-franklin-arts.myshopify.com/

😉

katrinka
6 hours ago, Symph said:

Fighting hippies sounds like an SNL episode lol 

It does, doesn't it? "BACK OFF, I HAVE PACHOULI AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!"
But it wasn't like that. The rednecks here seriously hated them, called them draft dodgers and sissies and dopeheads and whatnot, and would cruise around looking to give them a beatdown. So the hippies had to get mean.
This lasted until the mid to late 70's. Doug Sahm invented the cosmic cowboy persona, and Willie lifted it and popularized it. Then all the rednecks started growing their hair and hanging roach clips on their hatbands. 🤣
And there was peace in the  valley for a good while...but in recent years, political affiliations have made short work of that.
Everything repeats. The same, only different.

Symph
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

You're on your way Symph. It's going to be a rough ride and a beautiful ride. You're going to have to die daily. But it's worth it. You really rock. 😎 Here, a bit of Rancid for you. Rancid rock too. 

Oops... wrong song. But I'll leave it 'cos it's one of my favourite Rancid songs.

I wanted to post this one :

Very awesome and encouraging words, but I think it's sooo cool you're a punk fan.  I keep finding Tarot peeps who love good punk and apparently "Chaos Magic" which is the form of magic I'm beginning to feel most drawn to was heavily connected to the punk scene/mindset.  Punk is my shit!  I'm all about that stuff, mainly the period from 77 to 80 and I tend to like the british bands a bit more than the american ones, but there are good artists on both sides.  "Black coat white shoes black hat cadillac, yeeeah, the boy's a time bomb!"  That's my favorite Rancid song!!  I hadn't heard the other one but the message was sooo fitting you just set off a fire in my soul with that one!! I'm INDESTRUCTIBLE!!! 

Edited by Symph

Symph
3 minutes ago, katrinka said:

It does, doesn't it? "BACK OFF, I HAVE PACHOULI AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!"
But it wasn't like that. The rednecks here seriously hated them, called them draft dodgers and sissies and dopeheads and whatnot, and would cruise around looking to give them a beatdown. So the hippies had to get mean.
This lasted until the mid to late 70's. Doug Sahm invented the cosmic cowboy persona, and Willie lifted it and popularized it. Then all the rednecks started growing their hair and hanging roach clips on their hatbands. 🤣
And there was peace in the  valley for a good while...but in recent years, political affiliations have made short work of that.
Everything repeats. The same, only different.

Ain't that the truth.  Man that sounds like an intense time, having to fight for your right to just have long hair and want peace sheesh.  So goofy how they can be so against something, but then Willie Nelson does it and they're like "Oh ok now it's cool"....  And yes the same type thing is still happening for sure.  

katrinka

I'm convinced it's cult behavior. They have certain people they follow who make things OK or not OK - no critical thinking needed.
It was one thing when it was Willie and Merle and Waylon. But in recent years it's gotten too damn dangerous. They're dragging the rest of us along with them.

devin
On 11/21/2019 at 6:15 PM, Symph said:

I still wanna figure out what angels ARE though, they can appear to people in a human-like form, and yet they also appear to be pillars of energy, and then people say they are "angles of light", so figuring out what an angel even is has been really hurting my brain lol I still believe in em though, and I'm starting to try and contact them a bit, so far no dice though.  

Yeah, well, I can't speak from definitive experience here, but the traditional view is that they are spirits, with the name angel reflecting their rank/office/function. As for appearance, again, what do I know, but an angel's visual form is often considered to be a symbolic representation that allows our limited cognition to 'grasp' something of their nature.

Edited by devin

katrinka

Exactly. They can't be defined by what people see or how they're depicted since they're not that, but rather whatever is behind that.
And our meat-minds aren't capable of nailing that down precisely. When the matrix glitches, things get a little strange. 😉

Symph

Just letting you guys know, I'm taking a break for a day or two, my aunt is in the hospital, her surgery went wrong and they punctured her aorta...  my family is praying, and I feel strange because if they knew what I was into they wouldn't even want me praying for her too, they'd think I might pray to "demons" and this is a bit of a depressing thought.  I want to be there for everybody, but I feel like I'm hiding this dark secret and just ugh.... so today my wife and I are just going to stay in, watch cartoons, make love and be happy.  I'll be back tomorrow or the next day, see ya!

Whisper

As far as I can see, the more we get out of our own way, go with the flow and let the universe unfold for us, the better it is, Period. 

Your epiphany and my own experience of life remind me of Rumi's words. He said many, many enlightened things, but this one remains, for me, one of his most important:

"If you could get rid of yourself just once, the secret of secrets would open up to you.

The face of the unknown, hidden being and the universe would appear on the mirror of your perception."

Perhaps the language of the Tarot and of the Oracles really does mirror that of Spirit, Universal Intelligence, God, Vishnu, whatever one wishes to call that force ... .

Edited by Whisper

Whisper
2 hours ago, Symph said:

Just letting you guys know, I'm taking a break for a day or two, my aunt is in the hospital, her surgery went wrong and they punctured her aorta...  my family is praying, and I feel strange because if they knew what I was into they wouldn't even want me praying for her too, they'd think I might pray to "demons" and this is a bit of a depressing thought.  I want to be there for everybody, but I feel like I'm hiding this dark secret and just ugh.... so today my wife and I are just going to stay in, watch cartoons, make love and be happy.  I'll be back tomorrow or the next day, see ya!

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, @Symph. Pray and give it up. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks. This is your path. You're not hiding a secret. There is no dichotomy. Your intentions and your heart are in the right place. That's all that matters.

Just a thought: 'Be happy' is definitely the best injunction and something we should all strive for under any circumstance, even the most dire. 

bastetly

I hope your aunt will recover WELL fm this accident in surgery Symph.  You pray and pray your way, so it's real.  Studies show (not gonna post links) that patients who have people praying for them get better results!  Whether the patient is aware or not of the prayers.  Pray Laugh Love  Eat Pizza   cute cat GIF

devin
On 11/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, katrinka said:

Exactly. They can't be defined by what people see or how they're depicted since they're not that, but rather whatever is behind that.
And our meat-minds aren't capable of nailing that down precisely. When the matrix glitches, things get a little strange. 😉

Yeah, and this view is actually very, very old. So it seems past generations were often far more subtle than we moderns give them credit for.

Edited by devin

Symph

Thanks for the encouragement everybody, @katrinka I love what you said about angels, it really helped me to see more clearly an esoteric concept I've been having trouble grasping.  

On 11/23/2019 at 3:47 PM, Whisper said:

"If you could get rid of yourself just once, the secret of secrets would open up to you.

The face of the unknown, hidden being and the universe would appear on the mirror of your perception."

That is just beautiful, I appreciate all your responses.  Same to you @bastetly, I just didn't feel like responding when I first read what everyone was saying, but it still helped.  All the prayers are working too!  I don't understand all the medical jargon, but apparently all her levels have dramatically improved and she's starting to talk to people and even be able to eat little bits here and there 🙂  If anything this whole situation makes me want to "have the talk" with my family soon.  It's odd but like... I feel like I would have felt better if my family knew what I believed and was doing now and told me straight up "We don't want you to pray for Jackie" than the way I felt knowing they were unaware.  It's how they talk to me thinking I still DO believe all the church dogma, and I feel guilty that I have this secret.  

I know I don't have to feel guilty it's my life, but I think a lot of freedom will come when I just know that it's out in the open and I am holding nothing back.  If they accept me awesome!  If the don't, somehow that still seems preferable to being in the closet, so I'm gonna start praying about how/when to do this.  Definitely gonna let my aunt get more out of the woods first though!  Don't need to drop a bomb on them while they're already in a situation like this!

Kraley

Thank you for posting this - this is literally my first post on this board, and I think this is the one I needed to see. It's inspired me to pick this up.

I've felt a little bit of this clairvoyance as of late... The other day, I was talking to my buddy about his ex-fiance, and long story short, she ended up taking a job in Chicago. Before he even said Chicago, the word came right in my mind. So the post I saw earlier about how things come to us... In songs, in numbers, in everyday life, is eerily accurate.

Again, thank you for sharing your story 😄

Symph
1 hour ago, Kraley said:

Thank you for posting this - this is literally my first post on this board, and I think this is the one I needed to see. It's inspired me to pick this up.

I've felt a little bit of this clairvoyance as of late... The other day, I was talking to my buddy about his ex-fiance, and long story short, she ended up taking a job in Chicago. Before he even said Chicago, the word came right in my mind. So the post I saw earlier about how things come to us... In songs, in numbers, in everyday life, is eerily accurate.

Again, thank you for sharing your story 😄

Not only that... but I live like an hour outside of Chicago... no joke... so there's some more confirmation for ya, you're in a magical place 😄😄😄