Learning Tdm (Resources And Discussions)

Raggydoll

This is intended as a master thread where we can share and discuss anything and everything that helps us further our understanding of the TdM. You can ask for tips (or share tips) regarding books, decks, websites etc. Discussions around reading techniques, symbolism etc are also encouraged. Just remember to stick to the topic of TdM :thumbsup:

Now, help me make this place feel nice and cozy! Feel free to share many pics... 😊

As I know we're allowed to repeat ourselves from a previous thread - I'd like to say how much I enjoyed the small book by Lee Bursten that came with the Universal Tarot De Marseille kit.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-marseille/

It's straight-forward for beginners, encourages you to think but helps you along.

I do think there was some material by him on this at the now closed AT forum, but I don't have a link to that just yet . . .

I linked a book in French on the other thread.

Le code secret du Tarot de Marseille - Mars 2011.pdf

Its author is translating it a page at a time and putting it on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/tarotchoco/

Ooh er - just read his latest forum post. Marigold / le roi - your opinion please:

About this code... I have managed to find four keys, four different sets of letters, that open the names of the Tarot cards. I have successfully applied these four keys to all the Major Arcanas. I have successfully applied two of these four keys to more than half of the Minor Arcanas; here I have taken a pause, this us just too overwhelming work sometimes. The breaking of the code involves adding the bars found in the names of the Arcanas.
So my book deals with that. I also name the creator of Tarot, abbott Suger de Saint-Denis, in the XIIth century.
Some critics have said that the code does not work . It works 🙂 The last person who tried to debunk it publicly tried to do so here at TarotL. After a few posts, he quit. He then gave his OBE, resigning for TarotL. He died a few years later.
RIP Bob O’Neil.
A consequence of my findings is of course that Michael Dummett, may he also rest in peace, was wrong. The Tarot may have been found first in the Renaissance Lombardy. But it was not created there and then. 
My book also deals with the circular arrangement of the 78 Arcanas. Check my almost silent videos on that subject at Tarotchoco

Edited by gregory

1 hour ago, gregory said:

Le code secret du Tarot de Marseille - Mars 2011.pdf 7.92 MB · 9 downloads

Its author is translating it a page at a time and putting it on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/tarotchoco/

Ooh er - just read his latest forum post. Marigold / le roi - your opinion please:

How juicy! Secret codes... he should probably watch out so Dan Brown doesn’t turn it into a novel 😊

I am curious to hear if anyone has this old book (published in the 1970s). Authors name is Fred Gettings:

5409AF29-FAF2-4CAC-966F-F488268307BB.thumb.jpeg.bd161ca1e346101819dbbaa20f611345.jpeg

It deals with reading techniques as well as symbolism etc. It’s almost exclusively for the majors. 

His technique of interpreting cards together is very similar to that of Jodorowsky. He looks to how the people are interacting and what way they are facing etc.

15986BD6-E66C-4B01-8B76-F279CAB0C910.thumb.jpeg.76e39608bbdb800fd3e1cd46bd0c45d2.jpeg

B0E81137-2180-49FE-AC99-BFBEAD7EB410.thumb.jpeg.fb5e9fec6cbd10005f2b32d5fb7d5aed.jpeg

C5C17D4B-50DD-48A8-9CCA-FB56701E05D2.thumb.jpeg.8789a69ac1e1a46fc9396462f99b7ac6.jpeg

2353EF09-B0F4-44F5-806C-CAC6E168761C.thumb.jpeg.e22967aec88a5327fd342104a667b08f.jpeg

1C8CCCB0-26A4-4A03-9D78-FA31D35EB068.thumb.jpeg.3669bf931b32443f95708aa6b85b6699.jpeg

I hardly ever hear people speak of it so I want to know if it’s because they don’t know about it or if it’s because it’s considered rubbish ☺️. This book is obviously out of print but I found a copy at a very affordable price so I don’t think it’s hard to get hold of. 

5 minutes ago, gregory said:

Yes I have the Gettings book. I think it's pretty sound. And it has a lot of other good stuff in it as well.

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=26320

I like it too. I’m very fond of the large format and all the images. And there are some useful tips. I chuckle each time I read his short section regarding the RWS tarot 😁 

3 minutes ago, gregory said:

It does really point up the difference between TdM and RWS, don't you think ? You can't try and do both at once.

Yes the author is very clear on that point. He doesn’t seem to think there is anything true or right about the RWS at all 😅

How lovely to see this thread! So good to see enthusiasm for the TdM here. :classic_smile:

This website is good for helping you develop a method for reading the pips:

https://tarot-heritage.com/cartomancy/read-the-pip-cards/

If you like complexity and layers (numerology, temperaments), then this method might suit:

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=112327

14 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

How lovely to see this thread! So good to see enthusiasm for the TdM here. :classic_smile:

This website is good for helping you develop a method for reading the pips:

https://tarot-heritage.com/cartomancy/read-the-pip-cards/

If you like complexity and layers (numerology, temperaments), then this method might suit:

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=112327

And how lovely to see you here! 😘 Thank you so much for the links!!

21 minutes ago, Saturn Celeste said:

:icon_rolleyes:

Does that mean you haven’t? 😆 Well, I’ve read most of it but I want to re-read it because it was long time ago. I also read Ben-Dov’s and most of Jodorowskys. I haven’t read any of Camelia Elias books but I’m curious because people seem to either love them or really dislike them. I’m curious as to which camp I would end up siding with 😄

1 minute ago, Raggydoll said:

Does that mean you haven’t? 😆 Well, I’ve read most of it but I want to re-read it because it was long time ago. I also read Ben-Dov’s and most of Jodorowskys. I haven’t read any of Camelia Elias books but I’m curious because people seem to either love them or really dislike them. I’m curious as to which camp I would end up siding with 😄

Camellia Elias is very influenced by Enrique Enriquez of ‘Tarology’. I think @Carla uses her techniques?

4 hours ago, gregory said:

Le code secret du Tarot de Marseille - Mars 2011.pdf 7.92 MB · 10 downloads

What roi ?? I hope to god you weren't referring to me. (I hate monarchy with a passion. I think sometimes I must have been in the frontlines of the French revolution, so much I despise monarchy.)

I don't have time at the moment to do any serious reading. Maybe over Christmas I'll have some time.

But let me just say that at LAST at LAST helleluja someone has noticed the bars on the Major Arcana. So I will read this book with great interest. I don't do facebook (I avoid even visiting facebook as a guest if I can - after the monarchy, I think next on my list comes Zuckerberg.)

Edited by Marigold

10 minutes ago, Marigold said:

What roi ?? I hope to god you weren't referring to me. (I hate monarchy with a passion. I think sometimes I must have been in the frrontlines of the French revolution, so much I despise monarchy.)

I don't have time at the moment to do any serious reading. Maybe over Christmas I'll have some time.

But let me just say that at LAST at LAST helleluja someone has noticed the bars on the Major Arcana. So I will read this book with great interest. I don't do facebook (I avoid even visiting facebook as a guest if I can - after the monarchy, I think next on my list comes Zuckerberg.)

If you read it I will be very interested to hear your views! 

@leroidetrèfle, Marigold. Don't panic.

Zuckerberg is 10,000,000 times worse than any monarchy. And there is something to be said for heredity to a head-of-state post with no powers, rather than an elected lunatic like the Cheeto who can actually do stuff..

Enriquez. Yes - boy do opinions differ. But I love the way he sees tarot everywhere.

5 hours ago, PathWalker said:

As I know we're allowed to repeat ourselves from a previous thread - I'd like to say how much I enjoyed the small book by Lee Bursten that came with the Universal Tarot De Marseille kit.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-marseille/

It's straight-forward for beginners, encourages you to think but helps you along.

I do think there was some material by him on this at the now closed AT forum, but I don't have a link to that just yet . . .

Somewhere it was said (maybe it was gregory who posted this) that there was some kind of controversy about this book and she was wondering why. 

Now I haven't read the book, so please take what I'm saying with that in mind. IF Lee wrote this book based on his initial explorations into the subject that he posted on Aeclectic, then the controversy could very likely be that he took into account also the RWS meanings. I don't remember now to what extent, but it was obviously sufficient to make me react with great vehemence. I remember very acrid arguments that the two of us had. I regret them somewhat - not the fact that I defended my opinion so fiercely, I would do it again, but it did somehow colour our relationship with a bit of a dark cloud. And I like Lee. He's a good and honest person. 

Edited by Marigold

32 minutes ago, gregory said:

@leroidetrèfle, Marigold. Don't panic.

Zuckerberg is 10,000,000 times worse than any monarchy. And there is something to be said for heredity to a head-of-state post with no powers, rather than an elected lunatic like the Cheeto who can actually do stuff..

Enriquez. Yes - boy do opinions differ. But I love the way he sees tarot everywhere.

If they have no powers, then what's the point ? They're happy not to have any powers --- that way they think they'll be able to escape the fate of their ancestors who had their heads chopped off - there's always a faint silhouette of a guillotine like a ghost hovering somewhere in their little (expletive) minds. 

At least the Tarot members of the royal court have power and are of the good sort. They're the good guys. The other type are just...

no.... let's not get into that - it would be a shame to spoil this lovely thread with such off-topic stuff. But if you like, I can make a list of all the adjectives that just rushed through my mind in about four different languages and also some languages that I invented and send it to you by PM. It's pretty strong language but you'll cope fine with it.

Now !!!!! back to the TdM resources and books and to get us back on topic. I don't know much about Tarot books. But I may be able to link to some interesting videos when I have some quality time to do so. 

Edited by Marigold

@Marigold I look forward to those videos. And if you have any tips in regards to how you learned to read TdM then please feel free to share those too (when you have the time. Absolutely no rush!)