And Your Grandmother?!

Decan

Was one of your grandmothers reading cards?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Was one of your grandmothers reading cards?

• Yes absolutely, my grandmother was reading cards and was known for that!
    • Yes, but only occasionally and in private.
    • No, none of my grandmothers were reading cards.
    • It's something I'm not aware.

Hi everyone,

Regularly I hear here and there among people pulling cards (fortune tellers) that they have had a grandmother who was reading cards when they were a child (or who was reading coffee ground, tea leaves, but generally it seems that it was more cards).

So I am wondering if it is really something usual, a legend or something 🧐

And I found how to create a Poll on the forum to get to the bottom of this question!

So please let us know! 🙂

Personally none of my grandmothers were reading cards, coffee ground or anything else, actually they were not interested at all in that! 🥴

Edited by Decan
Saturn Celeste

My grandmother didn't read cards but she subscribed to the Astrology magazine.  I think she did charts, I remember seeing some doodles on the end table by her favorite chair.  My mom was psychic.  She was uncanny and she was a dreamer.  Her dreams were prophetic.  My son is psychic, he's a better tarot reader than me!  I don't call myself psychic though, I prefer intuitive.  I have never said I was psychic only when joking.  I'm afraid to use that word on myself.

The silver covered ones are the magazines my grandma used to subscribe to.  My mom and I read them also.  I was pretty young but did enjoy looking through her books!

spacer.png

BTW, great topic Decan!! :herz:

yep, that's how i've seen my 1st Tarot & told not to touch!;D but only in private i guess as far as i know,,,,

also my other gran also know how to look in *white bean!;) & she even explained it to me once sadly i don't remember that method completely,,,

but i remember it was also something she was not open about except for family & close friends,,,

on other hand *coffee ground divination was common thing when i was kid my mom & her friends/our neighbors all used to flip their coffee cup after drinking it then *read to each other what will happen next & it was usually on spot & good humor (probably bc they all know each other well & all gossip they had?;) lol

Edited by reall

My maternal gran, Elizza did read professionally, using first her large crystal ball and then the original Soprafino tarot deck, she received as a gift from a thankful customer. 

Being Manoush Gypsy she - and my mom ended up in concentration camp Bergen Belsen, where Elizza made a set of cards using cardboard and menstrual blood. With that she read......

My dad, being a spy - and ..... well, he saved both of them .......

She passed away, when I was only a few month old.

I learned reading from my maternal cousin, who learned from Elizza. 

the Tarot was used quite differently back then. In my blog I wrote about some of the meanings of the cards as I remember them from the teachings.

Not that I’m aware of. One of my Grandmothers loved playing cards but I don’t think she ever read with them. Both her and my mother did have ‘odd’ experiences though and had moments of knowing something was going to happen or seeing ghosts. 

Edited by Flaxen

Since yesterday, my thoughts have turned around this question and both my grandparents (paternal side) were using playing cards as a game (with friends, and me occasionally), but they didn't read them. And it's actually my grandfather who had an odd experience in his life that affected him (a young brother died suddenly and he knew it at a distance when the accident happened, through a dream if I remember correctly, his brother "called him"), he spoke often about that. I also suspect that he saw a few fortune tellers in his life, but he never spoke about that, it's just something I deduce now from one thing he said one time.

Edited by Decan

I didn't know my father and his family very well. I was raised in a fanatically Christian family where even playing cards would send you to hell if you weren't careful. I do know that on my father's side they believed some family members had "second sight" and I've always "known" things but in my mother's family where I was raised, I was afraid to even mention that. I was already in enough trouble for loving boogie woogie and rock'n'roll.

Edited by Grizabella

As an adoptee, I have four grandmothers. And I'm not aware of any of them reading cards, palms, tea leaves, or anything else for that matter.
My Houston grandma, Esther, did believe in things, though. And she had some psychic experiences. They were horrible.
She was born in Austria. Her family sent her to the US in 1918 when she was 16 years old. She worked as a seamstress, and she was very good at it. She used to sew me the most beautifully tailored and finished dresses! She married, and I don't know what her husband was into (he died before I was born), but they had a nice home and a maid, even in the Depression,
Bur she used to have dreams, and the dreams were real.
She dreamed her family - parents and siblings - were "dead in a ditch".
And then the letters stopped. Hitler had put them in a mass grave.
I never met my grandma Eula. But her people were from Cornwall and Scotland, and I know they were "into stuff." I would so love to have known this woman!
My grandma Irene was practical, scientific, skeptical. And very down-to-earth. There was nothing "magical" about her, but I love her attitude to this day. She had a book of famous art, and me and my cousins used to look at it and snicker over the nudes when we were little. We asked grandma (we called her "Gammy") why she had a nasty book, She replied simply, "If it's art, it's not nasty." I miss her even now. She collected rain water for us to rinse our hair. Nothing fazed her, ever. She was the kind of person who, if there was a caterpillar in the greens (and there never was, not in HER greens) would have said that "it won't hurt you" and simply put the caterpillar in the trash and told you to eat your greens.
My fourth grandma is a mystery. When I found my birth mother, she named a father, now deceased, but I corresponded with his kids and exchanged photos. We are obviously not related in any way, shape, or form. There is something mom doesn't want to talk about and that's OK. Maybe fourth grandma was a reader, but the odds are against it.
In the end, do we NEED a "grandmother story"? Wicca is notorious for those kinds of false claims. (Not dissing the Wiccans among you, just saying.) "I come from a long line of readers and psychics" is standard ad blurb, and in some cases it's true, but for the most part it sets off my BS detector!
We have much to learn from our grandmas whether they were readers or not. Mine are long gone, but occasionally I still get little epiphanies from them. ❤️

Edited by katrinka

My maternal Scottish great granny read tea leaves and palms, but I never met her, unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, Grizabella said:

Christian family where even playing cards would send you to hell if you weren't careful.

This reminds me, I grew up in an area with LOTS of charismatics around, and I remember once being told in religious education class (at school) that it was dangerous and inviting disaster to look at a candle flame for any length of time.

Edited by devin

I only ever knew one of my grandmothers, but she was definitely not into tarot cards or fortunetelling. She would have considered those to be "of the devil."

However, she did believe in the old folk-way of finding out the sex of an unborn baby -- suspending a wedding ring from a piece of string and suspending it over the mother's stomach and watching to see whether it swung in a straight line or in a circle. (Memory fails me, but I believe a straight line indicated a boy and a circle indicated a girl. I've no idea how often this worked.)

I didn't know any of my Grandparents as they lived in another country. I'm not sure about my Grandad's, but my Grans all seem to have something different going on with them (well back then, that's what was thought about them.) On my Moms side what I know about my Gran is, that she was really into horoscopes, and good luck charms,and later I found out she really believed in the after life too. I think my Great Gran was into all that as well. However, it was a huge secret, and we don't talk about that stuff  is what they got. My Gran also like to just go sit in an empty church by herself, when things were getting her down...I think Mom's side of the family may have originated from Norfolk, UK and maybe Welsh in there too, so.....I will tell you that my Mom was very "knowing"...and could just "feel" things too. My Mom and my Gran were very good at reading people as well...

Couple of Aunties on my Dads side were pretty interesting, and also had pretty good connection with animals...

I dont know about tarot though, but I do know my Mom and Dad never freaked out about it at all, if someone pulled out a deck or crystal ball (seem to take it in stride). My Dad did live in India for about 5 years, and had some great and unusual tales from over there.

My brother tried to figure out the tarot, but gave up...My Mom nearly had a poop fit when she pulled back his carpet in his room and there was a pentagram drawn out on the floor....(poor Mom 😉

Ok sorry, long answer....reminiscing ❤️

Edited by ~D~
2 hours ago, ~D~ said:

I dont know about tarot though, but I do know my Mom and Dad never freaked out about it at all, if someone pulled out a deck or crystal ball (seem to take it in stride).

My family (the ones who raised me) never freaked out about it, either. They figured it was mostly hooey, but harmless.
But Houston Grandma told me she went to get her palm read with some other girls when she was young. She said the reader took one look at her palm, closed it up and refused to read it. And yeah...horrible things happened. They believed in stuff, to a point. But there was a rationality, a healthy skepticism. I think I was lucky to be brought up this way.

It would have been another story if my birth mother had kept me. I was in my 40's when I found her and met her, and she's a complete fundie, utterly believes in horrible TV hate-preachers like John Hagee and tries to get me to read his books. I don't argue with her since she's in her 80's. Just shine her on, as they say on the West Coast. But she's had experiences. Once, she and her husband came up on a bad auto accident. They stopped to help and there was a little boy laid out on the grass, she said she saw his spirit leave his body and it "looked like a wave." Later, they visited at the hospital and it was confirmed that the boy did die there. And she's told me that she believes that "angels jump into dogs sometimes" - you know, the way a great dog will sacrifice himself protecting someone he loves. It must be hard to reconcile all that evangelicism with the things she's seen.

But I'm glad I was raised the way I was. I think if it had been otherwise, I'd have been horribly confused.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:06 PM, Mi-Shell said:

My maternal gran, Elizza did read professionally, using first her large crystal ball and then the original Soprafino tarot deck, she received as a gift from a thankful customer. 

Being Manoush Gypsy she - and my mom ended up in concentration camp Bergen Belsen, where Elizza made a set of cards using cardboard and menstrual blood. With that she read......

My dad, being a spy - and ..... well, he saved both of them .......

She passed away, when I was only a few month old.

I learned reading from my maternal cousin, who learned from Elizza. 

the Tarot was used quite differently back then. In my blog I wrote about some of the meanings of the cards as I remember them from the teachings.

Whoa.
Have you considered writing a book?
These are the stories people need to know.

3 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Whoa.
Have you considered writing a book?
These are the stories people need to know.

I did write about what I remembered and how we learned to read and card meanings and a spread on AT.

since however these pages are most likely lost in the cyber abyss...

I really should open up a thread here in this forum and re- post them, so people can have a look.... 

Actually, that could be a nice job for me on a snowy day 🙂

12 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

I did write about what I remembered and how we learned to read and card meanings and a spread on AT.

since however these pages are most likely lost in the cyber abyss...

I really should open up a thread here in this forum and re- post them, so people can have a look.... 

Actually, that could be a nice job for me on a snowy day 🙂

Yes, please do!
It may yet be there in the AT archives (or not), but it's buried...I've never come across it.

Edited by katrinka

lovely topic and fun to read through.  I enjoyed reading every post.

Yes, my maternal gm read cards, tea leaves, palms, pretty much anything.  Tea leaves were her favorite and her specialty.  My maternal side of the family were all psychic, though mostly the women.  All my siblings save one are also psychic as am I, however, my one sister is fearful of it.  My brother doesn't do much with it, but will occasionally share his stories--and I am the only one who followed in moms footsteps to read people.  My family were very strict Catholic, but what the Church didn't/doesn't know, doesn't hurt them.  

I mostly read cards for people, but have tried crystals and tea leaves as well and still dabble with that now and again.  I do psychic readings too on occasion and am a psychic medium too, which is the one thing I really enjoy doing.   So, yes, one of  my grandmothers DID read the cards and other things too--and the other one frowned upon such things.  And, I am a grandmother as well, though my grandchildren do not know yet about my 'extra curricular activities'.  😉  My daughter is also a reader and very psychic and also a medium.  She prefers reading crystals over cards.  My hope is the grandchildren will also follow in our footsteps.

and, Mi-shell, yes!  DO write out here on this site about your grandmothers ways for reading.  You are definitely a most interesting lady and if you wrote a book, I'd buy a copy for myself and many more for gifts!  I've always enjoyed everything you posted here that I've come across and have enjoyed your posts on A.T. as well and your site too.  You are amazing! 🙂

Edited by Luna