AJ-ish/Sharyn

In Your Book Bag, On Your Kindle?

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I love knowing what other folken are reading, it often brings me to a new subject or author.

So where are your pages turned to?

In a search for John Muir a great 1800's American naturalist, I came upon 

Journal of Ramblings through the High Sierras of California written in 1870 by John LeCompte. A pleasure to ramble through places I've been and enjoyed 125 years later. A+ (considering my odd tastes 🙂 

Just finished Stickeen by John Muir, a short story about a odd dog he met in his Alaska adventures. A+

Prior to that A Grave Misunderstanding: A Simon Grave Mystery..didn't make it to the 2nd chapter, after hearing 4 times he looked like an Italian gigolo I was bored stiff. D+, gave him one point for actually getting published. 

Although I seldom do reviews...I always read them, the 3 star, I figure they say the stuff I want to know. 

And why do people 1 star a poor starving author because a book arrived with a bent cover? I'd like to see one of their butt hairs turn into a fish hook every time they do that. 

Flaxen

Great topic!

I’m currently reading ‘Lamentation’ by C.J. Sansom - a Tudor mystery/crime thriller. 

Raggydoll

I’m reading Patanjali’s Yoga-Sutra. I’ve been looking at different translations/commentaries to get an idea of the various takes on it and it’s very interesting. I will probably read some Mahayana Sutras next. 

Mi-Shell
2 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

I love knowing what other folken are reading, it often brings me to a new subject or author.

So where are your pages turned to?

In a search for John Muir a great 1800's American naturalist, I came upon 

Journal of Ramblings through the High Sierras of California written in 1870 by John LeCompte. A pleasure to ramble through places I've been and enjoyed 125 years later. A+ (considering my odd tastes 🙂 

Just finished Stickeen by John Muir, a short story about a odd dog he met in his Alaska adventures. A+

Prior to that A Grave Misunderstanding: A Simon Grave Mystery..didn't make it to the 2nd chapter, after hearing 4 times he looked like an Italian gigolo I was bored stiff. D+, gave him one point for actually getting published. 

Although I seldom do reviews...I always read them, the 3 star, I figure they say the stuff I want to know. 

And why do people 1 star a poor starving author because a book arrived with a bent cover? I'd like to see one of their butt hairs turn into a fish hook every time they do that. 

Ha ha ha!!!!!!!stick_amok.gif.5ff10719c78507d50d4047725bd93d9f.gif

I will have to remember that one!

If you enjoyed the writings of John LeCompte, you might like to check out :

Ruffles on my Longjohns by Isabel Edwards, how she and hubby settled in the wilds of British Columbia around 1920.....

And also, what we read during our latest trip through the Adirondacks this fall - from a lady, that "birthed" an organic farm with horses and all there a few years ago:

The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball

Also from her, I just picked up from the libary her continuation book: Good Husbandry

My husband wants to read that.

Mi-Shell

I always have 2 very different things on the go:

One a bit more spiritual or educational - so I learn something / broaden my horizon and often something just for fun and thrills.

So right now for category 1 I an reading:  Singing the Songs of my Ancestors - The life and Music of Helma Swan, a Makah Elder

And for fun ad thrills - I am a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong, a local Canadian author - especially her "Otherworld series.

right now I am at book 2 of her Rockton  series, a town in the middle of the Yukon, where straaaaange things happen......🏔️👻🐾:eek:

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I used to have a book on the nightstand, one in my purse, one in the glovebox and one in the living room by the couch. Rob would ask how can I keep track of so many plots 😉 but I never wanted to be caught without something to read. 

I have a rare eye disease now so only read books on my kindle with the print enlarged. Lovely invention I never thought I'd ever use, paper and ink are so wonderful, and I make sure it is always with me. But on the kindle I mostly work on one book at a time, although I'm working my way slowly through Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, hurts too much to read in big whacks. 

Raggydoll
50 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

I used to have a book on the nightstand, one in my purse, one in the glovebox and one in the living room by the couch. Rob would ask how can I keep track of so many plots 😉 but I never wanted to be caught without something to read. 

I have a rare eye disease now so only read books on my kindle with the print enlarged. Lovely invention I never thought I'd ever use, paper and ink are so wonderful, and I make sure it is always with me. But on the kindle I mostly work on one book at a time, although I'm working my way slowly through Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, hurts too much to read in big whacks. 

I love reading multiple books at the same time. Usually it’s just one fiction book but then it’s several non-fiction books of various topics. For fiction I really like audio books. I tend to always listen to something interesting as I'm doing house chores. It’s been a while since I read a good fiction novel but I did read a couple audio books on minimalism that were just as invigorating 😁

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I started the 8 books in Stephen King's Gunslinger series, audio style in August and just finished them this week. Probably my 4th time listening. I have the Cadfael mysteries on audio, read by Derek Jacobi who played the character in the TV series, lovely. Have many of the  Brian Jacques Redwall books on audio, multi-voiced but well done.  

Mi-Shell
1 hour ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

But on the kindle I mostly work on one book at a time, although I'm working my way slowly through Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, hurts too much to read in big whacks. 

Yes, that is a hard read!

In high School I was the president of the student union and as a parting gift from the school I was allowed to choose a book. My choice was Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee.

After my first visit to Wounded Knee in 1981 I borrowed the book to a fiend - and never got it back. I miss it. - and what the principal wrote into the covers....

Since then I have been to Wounded knee several times, We have friends in Rosebud and in several other reservations in SD and ND as well as in Wyoming.

one of them is Leonard Crow Dog......

xTheHermitx

I still have to have the actual book. Not a Kindle etc guy.

Always reading high fantasy: Right now I am in the middle of Kristen Brittain's Green Rider series with Blackveil

Also always reading non-fiction. Usually sociology/current event/world affairs stuff: Right now it is Fascism by Madeline Albright

jupiter

For educational purposes 😉 I'm reading 78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollock.
On my Kindle for fall-asleep-nighttime-reading, I am halfway through The Bear and the Nightingale, which is a historical fantasy novel set in the cold woods of Russia 🙂 by Katherine Arden.

ilweran

I've just finsihed listening to 'The Testaments' by Margaret Atwood and I'm now reading 'The Testament of Loki' by Joanne Harris as some light relief (relatively speaking, given that the main character has some issues, but Loki is always entertaining...)

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Listening to Roots by Alex Haley, my first experience with the story. Lovely speakers voice. 

This 30th anniversary addition introduction mentions there are parts Haley  got wrong, I'll have to look at up. I hope he will always be honored for his efforts and opening up civil rights conversations still going forward today. 

Raggydoll

I’m now reading “Infinite potential - what quantum physics can tell us about how we should live” by Lothar Schäfer. It’s the perfect book after yoga Sutras as it shows just how much the Vedic scriptures has in common with the discoveries of modern physics (Lothar actually mentions how the Vedic scriptures invented all these principles thousand years before they could be proven by quantum physics). And I love that Deepak Chopra wrote the foreword. The answer to ‘how we should live’ seem to be to live in accordance with our potential - which is infinite, as it is the same as the creative, endless, potential of the universe.

After I’m done with this book I have several Mahāyāna Buddhist texts waiting to be read. 

KaiNO

I'm on track, having read/listened to 27 of 30 books in my 2019 reading challenge (tarot books excluded). My current book is Audible Audio: "The Magician's Diary" (Glass and Steele #4) by C.J. Archer.