Unable to find perfect fit, so creating my own deck now.

lucksmith

Hello,

since i got into Tarot some months ago it seems i dislike something on all decks i tried so far. I've right away trashed the deck i bought in my youth, as i couldn't find any access to it anymore. From not having anything i started searching for different decks and found one in Wildwood that almost serves all my wishes. However, it is still a good move away from perfect fit, ever other deck i tried seems even further away.

So i started making my own deck. I have no financial interest, nor kickstarter or anything running. It is thought purely for my own usage and of course, as one big aspect, to get me into deeper understanding of Tarot.

The thing that i learned very quick, from creating the first 2 or 3 cards? For me the best way to learn what traditional Cards want to tell with their pictures, symbols etc. is to create my own. Unbelievable how intense of a bond i get into my own created cards compared to the ones i have so far. I have to dig into their meaning and make my mind on what they want to express and how i would express that. So overall a great learning experience :) and i catch myself, since i started creating my own cards, to think of what i did on my card of that suite, to grasp a broader meaning of it. It seems to make some sort of own connection to meanings for me. However, using foreign made ones seems to have their own advantage in driving a different aspect of reading with touching more of my intuition based on the artwork i see.

Overall, coming from a rather spiritual and philosophic background, i think i currently have a better understanding in Tarot for what the Major Arcana want to say me then what the minor try to say. Therefore i started with creating the minor ones first. I basically sticked to the classic RWS System with the number cards, however i prefer the definition of elements instead of being fixed on the classical symbols as swords, cups, etc. I'm also somewhat experimenting with the "spots" of the court cards. I somehow never liked them yet. So i tried something else, but thats just experimental to show the lack or excess in the element as i did in water with the last two cards. Or using two figures abusing a misbalance of the element for the spots in Air.

If you are interested in what i did so far in making my own cards, click the images to see bigger pictures. I'd love to hear opinions and feedback. As i said above, it is primary a learning tool for me to create my own cards. Even so i'm eager to get all done, to get them printed and being able to use them, i quickly learned that it takes its time and some meditation on the topic to come out with a cards that strikes me with a meaning when i see it. As an example, even if it may sound weird, the 6 of water, it hit me like a truck once i did it. With the upper picture it opened a box of pandora (unborn/miscarriage sister in my early youth) inside myself, i did not even know i had buried in me. So even if i never get to really use these cards, i learn from creating them and i can develop myself from creating them, what else could i ask for 😀

Since i am no painter or grafic artist, all parts of the pictures are taken from pixabay or other similar sites that offer "license free, free to use" pictures. So there should not be an issue with copyright etc. when showing them here.

Not sure how i could possibly put in a thumbnail here. Is it possible? For the moment please find the Link to the pictures below:

Water_Overview_SmallSize.png.28f6c89f33030cd51b0dded0e42521dd.png

Air_Overview_SmallSize.png.84ccec2558c478125c37033140da75c2.png

Fire_Overview_SmallSize.png.b2473439024f9ac02c2e33a1138bb910.png

Earth_Overview_SmallSize.png.4be28d2874292fbd7092902637159de2.png

Major_Overview_SmallSize.png.679e93facced19d47410ffdccb3040e0.png

Update:

Interested people can get a copy of the finished deck here: Printed Copy of this Deck available here

Regards

Marco
Edited by lucksmith
Added link to available finished Deck

man, what a pretty cool, and big project. I don't think I could ever do this b/c my brain is so scattered that I could never settle on the perfect "finished product" for each card. I would want to pack so much info into each card...

I like where you are going with these, and it will be cool to see the evolution of the deck!!

Welcome on board! Happy to have you in our Creator guild!;D Agree making your own deck is Best you can do to learn about cards & discover more about yourself!;) i have list of blog post ready to publish soon addressing all how to from start creation to printing only to figure keywords!;D so feel free to ask if you need help with anything!;D

p.s I'm also creating my own Elemental Tarot is imo it's better fit than classic symbols?;)

check it here; https://sites.google.com/view/myluckycard/chakra-t

hopefully i will finish it next year!^^ lol

eta; must say you did wonderful job with photos here! look pro to me!^^ lol

my only remark is text font should be more uniformed & maybe white would work better?;)

also if you plan printing even 1deck for yourself be sure to download correct card size gamecrafter template & fitting guidelines!;)

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/products#decks

@xTheHermitx Thanks, yes i'm also curious how the deck evolves and how the next cards are going to be. I'll keep the top post updated with new progress. I've just finished a short vacation and now i'm about to pick up the Fire Minors 😀

@reall I've used a template from a german manufacturer. I assume they do an ok job, however i haven't seen any reviews on them (printerstudio.de) and since i do not have the need for any booklet or specific packaging i'm fine if they just print those cards somehow 😁 I like your deck, from viewing the cards they have a very friendly, bright and cheerful impression on me while the color on some sword cards clearly make a different statement.

What do you mean by more uniform text font? With the white you are probably right, but once i finished them all i'll move over all of them to see if one color, like white, or just some sort of banner with the name on all of them, works better or if i stick with how they came out during creation. Each text on the cards is on a separate layer so it is easy to modify that later on 🙂

For the classical symbols... i guess they are fine if that is what speaks to the person reading the deck. For me they mostly just don't cut it as they come from a more conscious or aware approach (know all of them, know what they mean, chain them up mentally) while i have more of an intuitive approach. Therefore i prefer to see a picture that transports the message for me, in an impression language that triggers the emotions bound to it within me. With symbols i do not get there, maybe some day later 😀

That's so trendy!

Loving the modern, contemporary look with artistic touches... Absolutely love love love the Air Suit!

The inclusion of Blocked Water, Air Manipulator & Dreamer of Air is a killer! Loving the word play & attached imagery. 

I can see myself buying this deck. Will wait for you to complete this deck. It looks very 21st Century. 

PS: A simple request, can you take another jab at 9 of Waters? Compared to all the others, it's just not at par. 

printerstudio have pod in germany & is ok!:) I recommend their linen & plastic cardstock!^^ lol

thank you happy you like!^^;)

I mean something like standard bottom line with text for majors?;) but whatever it's your deck you'll see how it look printed as there is plenty of modern deck with text positioned at random!;)

On 12/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, lucksmith said:
The thing that i learned very quick, from creating the first 2 or 3 cards? For me the best way to learn what traditional Cards want to tell with their pictures, symbols etc. is to create my own. Unbelievable how intense of a bond i get into my own created cards compared to the ones i have so far. I have to dig into their meaning and make my mind on what they want to express and how i would express that. So overall a great learning experience :) and i catch myself, since i started creating my own cards, to think of what i did on my card of that suite, to grasp a broader meaning of it. It seems to make some sort of own connection to meanings for me. However, using foreign made ones seems to have their own advantage in driving a different aspect of reading with touching more of my intuition based on the artwork i see.

I couldn't agree more - that was why I made my own and I learned so much that nothing else could have taught me. Good luck !

And yes, printerstudio is fine - that's who I use. It also makes it very easy when people start insisting that they want to buy it - you can set up your shop and leave it all to printerstudio !

Update: Added in first cards of the Fire Suite - Draft as all the pictures above. So yes @iMoodyCrab i'll probably rework 9 of Water as well as some others where i still dislike some things. For the moment the pictures show the current state of the drafts i have so far. It all depends on the idea i have to put in, the inspiration i can find on how to do that and what materials/pictures i can find license free on the web without stealing from anybody.

Good to know that Printerstudio does a decent job and can even be used if people insist on getting a buying option. If it is easy like that, i have no issues in case somebody wants a copy later on. Right now it is still for my learning and enjoyment, it'll show where it ends up when it moves closer to the goal line.

With the Naming i agree. I've thought about having something like a bottom line, or always "same spot default label" integrated. But for the bottom line i could not warm up due to it destroying the look and feel of the unbordered pictures and for a default label i did not find anything i like enough to use yet. So maybe i change that later on. With the text being on a separate layer it is no magic to touch that later.

I really like these cards!  I know you've said that you're not a graphic artist - but I think you're selling yourself short.  The cards look great to me and I can really see the thought that's gone into them and how they would work.   I hope you'll keep updating us as you continue with the deck?  Best wishes with it anyway because it's looking great so far.

Edited to add:   I know other people have said that the card titles could all be in the same place - and I'm sure they know much more than me about design and art - but I wanted to say that I actually quite like them being in text boxes in different places.  🙂 

Edited by Cobweb

15 hours ago, Cobweb said:

Edited to add:   I know other people have said that the card titles could all be in the same place - and I'm sure they know much more than me about design and art - but I wanted to say that I actually quite like them being in text boxes in different places.  🙂 

I agree with Cobweb, I sort of like that the titles are all over the place, and each one has it's unique feel. 

Thanks for all the flowers. I've added 4&5 of Fire, and yes, i actually plan to keep you updated on the progress.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:49 PM, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

for a personal deck, where you know what each card means you wouldn't need titles

True but somehow i found the need to have them integrated. Probably because i'm so forgetful, and/or to have an easier link to the common rws Deck in this learning experience.

Wish you all a merry christmas 🎄

Edited by lucksmith
Added 5 of Fire

On 12/24/2019 at 9:20 AM, iMoodyCrab said:

I agree with Cobweb, I sort of like that the titles are all over the place, and each one has it's unique feel. 

Titles can be anywhere - don't even need text boxes. I have many decks like that.

Yes, i'll stick with the Titels as they are for now. I like how it is, the look and feel they sometimes give to me.

Update: Finished Fire Suite

Update:

Finished Earth Suite, with that all Minor Cards are done. Next up: Major Arcana and rework of a few Minor Cards, depending on how i can find suitable images to implement my ideas. So far marked for a rework are 9 of Water and 9 of Fire. But for the moment i'm looking forward to pick up the Major Cards now 😀

Ah - got you. I am personally hoping it will be put up for sale :classic_smile: 

That was what happened with mine - I never intended it, but my hand was forced !

Thank you, yes it feels good to progress, however it is still a pretty way to go until all is done i guess 😀

I would not have any issues with other people using these cards, why should i? I did not expect them to be of interest to others for using them but if you feel like they resonate for you, i'm not against that. I'm using the Printerstudio Template and from what i heard so far it should not be much of a concern to make them available for other people that are interested. However i still decline to do some sort of Kickstarter or similar, as well as Box Sets with Guide Book etc. As of now it is still a project with the priority to get me deeper into Tarot, which it already did pretty well so far. I'll start thinking about anything else that might be related to it once i'm done with that journey 😀

However if you hope to be able to buy them, how about helping me out? I have a bunch of drafts for the backside of these cards and do not get into any consense with me which one to use. Interested in helping me decide on that?

@lucksmith I am going to suggest that you consider uploading your finished deck to printerstudio. It does not cost anything to sell through them (they instead add a small percentage to the price) and then you can also decide if you want a profit margin or not (and how much you would like to earn). If you decide not to then the deck will only cost the sum it takes to print and ship it (plus the small printerstudio fee). This way you would not have to risk any money or handle decks yourself. People are just given the link and then the decks are printed on demand. This is what @gregory did with hers after her friends badgered her to make her deck available for sale. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.