Morgan Greer cardstock and the thickness issues

Alandra

Hello everyone!

I have found my perfect match - after purchasing several decks: gorgeous, interesting and visually stunning, the good old (but totally new to me) Morgan Greer deck speaks to me like an old friend. I have a 2004.edition,made in Italy, English version. I am concerned about the cardstock - these are very thin and papery, after literally 2 days of using, the deck has already bonded. I love thick cards, strong and laminated. These are a bit too thin, although I will use them, I'm considering another MG deck that is more thick. I have read several forum posts about different editions but I can't wrap my mind around the info. Can anyone help me with the information on the thickest editions and where to actually order them (new, unused)? I have mine from Book Depository, I see they have another MG deck in Italian language, 1991.edition if I'm not mistaken. Would that be thicker? Thanks in advance! 

Vintage MG decks are not laminated in the way new deck are, that's my only bit of helpful info, so I hope others can help you out here.

But my vintage ones have a papery feel, not shiny like modern cards

Best wishes

PathWalker

I would go for this tin edt (if you don't mind smaller bridge size cards?;)

https://www.bookdepository.com/Morgan-Greer-Tarot-Tin-Bill-Greer/9781572818286?ref=grid-view&qid=1576756301364&sr=1-2

imo it's newest & therefore should be best cardstock?;) also Printed in Italy usually means good lamination so those should be ok as well!;)

I never had issue with USG cardstock?;D hope it helps!  do let us know what you end up with & how you like!;)

eta; just to add bookdepository don't always post correct year of printing?

Edited by reall

I had a vintage one that was from the 90s or early 2000s. It came in a set with a thin book on tarot (not an actual guidebook but a general book with Morgan-Greer illustrations). Can’t remember the details and I’ve sold it so I can’t check. It had much nicer cardstock than the new one BUT the images were darker and the colors more muted. 

(I just googled and found it: https://www.amazon.com/Morgan-Greer-Tarot-Deck-Book/dp/088079593X)

I have a '79, Morgan & Morgan Inc. edition (took a quick snap of it--shown below--for reference.) If you go for one of the first printings,  I can tell you that you won't find the stock you're looking for. While I'm happy with it, it's not as substantial/rigid as a modern RWS card.

spacer.png

The recent printing from U.S. Games from China would probably work well for your purposes. It has thick card stock and good lamination without the sticky feeling that often comes with decks printed in Italy. I can also second the mini version in a tin, though that one has a bit more flexible card stock that is better for riffle shuffling.

eBay is probably the best place to find a particular printing of a deck. The pictures often let you see the deck box (which usually has the printing location on the outside), or you can ask the seller for the information directly. Either way, it's better than the gamble of an Amazon warehouse--you never know what edition they'll have sitting around!

Thanks so much everyone! Will do the ebay research and update with what I will have ordered. The info is pretty contradictory, some say that the MG in a tin is good and thick, some have written bad reviews and said they're terribly thin and papery. I really will contact the seller to find out more! 🙂

UPDATE! Hey everyone! I ordered the Morgan Greer 1991.Italian print deck and it's amazing. The cardstock is exactly what I wanted, it's not flimsy at all, it does have a little plastic feel to it, but they're not thick, it's easy to shuffle. Glad I've found what I was looking for and I hope this post might help others who also have the same feel about the newer prints! 

Wheel of Fantastic

The Italian Morgan Greer is printed in Belgium. Great cardstock and I prefer it over the stock they use on the current English edition printed in Italy.