Raggydoll

Your first deck purchase of the year? Let’s hear about it!

Jewel
On 1/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, destinyhunnie said:

I didn’t buy any but I did receive a deck as a birthday gift as my birthday was New Year’s Eve. The Robin Wood Tarot I love it!

Love that deck, fills me with nostalgia.  That is the deck I learned Tarot with some 20+ years ago.  Still have my original copy!  Hope you enjoy it!

Jewel
On 1/2/2020 at 7:52 PM, DanielJUK said:

I think I am buying too many decks and so I want to buy less this year, it's becoming too material. I never actually get to explore and use them. So I want to slow it down a little and want to buy max 4 or 5 decks all year, I may go over that but that's my intention!

That is how I have approached it since I came back to Tarot after my long sabbatical.  I probably get closer to 6 to 8 decks a year, but I have disciplined myself to do my Deck of the Month project and spend a month with each deck and I have been really loving doing that.  I usually buy most decks I am going to get in January and March (Christmas and b-day gift certificates) and then maybe one or two here or there either given to me, traded for, or purchased for Christmas.  I am glad I slowed down on my buying because now I actually get to really enjoy and get to know my decks plus explore other decks I have had for years that I never gave the time of day to because I was too busy buying decks to use them.  What I have learned through that is that overally it has made me way more discerning, I have a real good feel for decks I am going to enjoy and add to my reading decks, and I am not overwhelmed by them anymore.

Jewel
On 1/3/2020 at 5:26 AM, fire cat pickles said:

I broke down and ordered the Bosch Tarot! It's been on my wishlist for a while and the price was right. (The price matched exactly the rewards points on my CapitolOne card, so it was a match made in "heaven" 😉 )

~giggles~ and yes @Raggydollthat is the deck with the "10 of Poopies" :rofl:

Jewel

Well I also have the Magical Creatures from Baba on Pre-Order but that was paid for last year so as far as I am concerned not a 2020 purchase though it will arrive this year.  It will be a b-day present for myself since it did not make it for X-mas.  I also got the Forest of Enchantment for X-mas and am really loving that deck, but as I always get a gift certificate for X-mas January is usually a month I treat myself to new decks and I just ordered the Magical Dogs Tarot and a couple of Tarot books yesterday 😆.  It will arrive Monday or Tuesday.  What can I say, I have a ton of decks but had no dog deck so though I was very torn between this one and the Mystical Cats I got the dogs.  I will most likely cave and get the Mystical Cats too but have not done so today.  I love that the cats are not anthrophomorphised and having been owned by a few cats and my relationship with my parents two cats I could totally relate to the images on these cards so it has become a deck I really want.  The Grand Luxe is also on the horizon but I have not ordered it.

Jewel
On 1/6/2020 at 7:09 PM, xTheHermitx said:

Also I really like the Alchemical Tarot and The Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery by Robert Place. Those are my main ones on the horizon.

I have the Alchemical Renewed and the companion book if you are ever interested in a trade ... I have looked through the deck but never used it, so it is in like new condition.  In the end I have just never been motivated to use it and am ready to let it go to a home where it will be appreciated.  Just PM me if you are interested.

Penthasilia

The Spacious tarot came in and I do like it- nice break from TdM and enjoying the colors and such. 

Decan
On 1/7/2020 at 11:26 PM, katrinka said:

I have the little Czech! I should get it out again, it's been too long.

Yeah the cards are lovely and they sell it for years now at Baba (I think).

Edited by Decan

Starlight

Have just ordered the IJJ Swiss tarot. Someone showed me their deck over Christmas and that was it. I loved the artwork. It's coming from the UK so it might take a few weeks.

Raggydoll
6 hours ago, Starlight said:

Have just ordered the IJJ Swiss tarot. Someone showed me their deck over Christmas and that was it. I loved the artwork. It's coming from the UK so it might take a few weeks.

Cool! I used to have that deck once upon a time 😀 I look forward to hearing how you get along with it! 

Raggydoll
9 hours ago, Decan said:

Yeah the cards are lovely and they sell it for years now at Baba (I think).

Yup they sell it in their shop

Decan

Absolutely, and not a Baba deck of course, but since they still sell it maybe it's the sort of inexpensive little decks which read very well! I don't know myself (Katrinka knows!), but I suspect that! 🙂

Raggydoll
2 minutes ago, Decan said:

Absolutely, and not a Baba deck of course, but since they still sell it maybe it's the sort of inexpensive little decks which read very well! I don't know myself (Katrinka knows!), but I suspect that! 🙂

I don’t have it but I’ve heard the same and I’ve contemplated buying it. 

Jewel

YAY just learned that my Magical Dogs Tarot arrived at my house today! 😍  Can't wait to open it up and see it.

katrinka
4 hours ago, Decan said:

It does read well. The instructions are in Czech, but it's very close to Biedermeier/Ziguener type cards, only more expressive, IMHO. The happier cards even have light backgrounds, while the less fortunate ones are darker.

Raggydoll
7 hours ago, katrinka said:

It does read well. The instructions are in Czech, but it's very close to Biedermeier/Ziguener type cards, only more expressive, IMHO. The happier cards even have light backgrounds, while the less fortunate ones are darker.

This is very good to know, should I ever be browsing their website..

Decan

I'll try to deal with the cards as I could (of course I don't understand a word in Czech!); but the deck is really lovely and likely most of the cards speak for themselves. The trickster (gambler) looks fabulous, bad cards are wonderful warnings, the reason I love them!! 🙂

Edited by Decan

queenofwans

I just bought Prisma Visions Tarot, and I'm so excited!! It's not at all like any of the decks I currently have, but it is one I have been eyeing since I started tarot a few years ago.

Before I even started tarot, I came across James R. Eads through a limited edition BFG print that I purchased initially for my classroom (still have it, but not in my classroom!). A few years later, after starting tarot, I contemplated getting his deck, but didn't think it would be easy for me to read as a beginner and then promptly forgot about it as I purchased many other decks.

I'm really happy with where my culled-down collection is at now, but also wanted to treat myself to a new deck this new year. I can't recall exactly how it came back to my attention again, but when I saw it again recently, I knew I had to have it: blue has always been my favorite color, the deck just looks and seems so magical, and it reminds me of my recent wedding (especially the invites)! 

Tagi

I already have four outstanding from 2019 through kickstarters and pre-order, I probably over did it 2019.

My first tarot purchase in 2020 was actually two tarot decks and a few oracles together.

The Vampyre Tarot because I really, really really was feeling the pull of vampires. Tarot of the Hidden Realms was the second because I am hoping it plays nice with Frouds Faeries.

Jewel

OK so I had a chance to look through my Magical Dogs deck and read the non-card areas of the book and I have to say I think I am really going to like the deck.  The cards are beautiful, I like what I have read in the book so far, and it has 3 nice spreads to try out when I make it my Deck of the Month later this year (Currently working with my Forest of Enchantment I got for X-Mas).  It will be interesting to see how the deck reads, but the imagery is very evocative and looks to be very well thought out.  Glad to have a puppy deck in my collection and one that I am pretty sure  I will at least occassionally read with 😊

katrinka

I ended up not making it through January. I caved and preordered the Pharos.

But I only got the borderless. All three variations are tempting for different reasons, but I figure that since it's Majors only, I don't need memory joggers.

Edited by katrinka

xTheHermitx

just got home from work, and my Tarot of Ceremonial Magik is here!!!

Gonna eat dinner, and then dig in.

IMG_2208.jpg

Raggydoll
Just now, Eric said:

I should have my new deck today.

Trying to build up expectations? ... Sadly -its working. Now don't make us any more frustrated and only return here when you have actual pictures. Or else! 😈

bart punishment GIF