The Results are in 2019!

fire cat pickles

fire cat pickles

After tallying up the posts in the threads for the Most Used Decks of 2019, I have the following results! And the winner is.... the RWS and /or Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative Deck with 11 mentions.

Second Place goes to the Greenwood with 6 mentions, followed by the Spirit Keeper's Tarot with 5!

Thank you all for participating 🙂

Here are the rest of the results:

RWS and Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative Deck   11
Greenwood Tarot 6
Spirit Keeper’s Tarot 5
Anieth Nature Tarot 4
Morgan Greer 4
The Dark Mansion Tarot 4
Froud's Faeries Oracle 3
Ironwing Tarot 3
Triple Goddess Tarot 3
Brady Tarot 2
Deviant Moon 2 2
DruidCraft 2
Green Wheel Oracle 2
Green Witch Tarot 2
Hermetic Tarot 2
Joie de Vivre Tarot 2
Nefertari’s Tarot 2
Numinous Tarot 2
Radiant Rider Waite 2
Shadowscapes 2
Silhouettes Tarot 2
Soprafino 2
Stretch Tarot 2
The Bohemian Gothic 2
The Cosmic Tribe 2
Thoth 2
Trionfi Della Luna 2
Tyldwick Tarot 2
Wild Unknown Animal Spirit 2
LXXXI – The Quareia Magician’s Deck 1
Animal Wisdom Tarot 1
Archeon Tarot 1
Augenblick Tarot 1
Baroque Bohemian Cats 1
Byzantine Tarot 1
Chrysalis Tarot 1
Crystal Mandala Oracle 1
Dame Daryl’s Mermaid Tarot 1
Everyday Witch 1
Flamand Vandenborre reissued by Pablo Robledo 1
Grimaud Palmistry Cards 1
Hidden Realm 1
Idiosyncradeck Tarot 1
Illuminated Tarot, Dark Crystal Rose 1
Inner Compass oracle by Heather Hoeps 1
Legacy of the Divine 1
Legend: The Arthurian Tarot 1
Mermaid Tarot- Lezza Robertson 1
Mibramig Magical Tarot 1
Mini Moon Cards 1
Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot 1
Noblet 1
Norse Tarot by Clive Barrett 1
Ostara Tarot 1
Otherkin Tarot 1
Queen of the Moon Oracle 1
Radiant Wise Spirit Tarot 1
Sacred Heartsisters Oracle 1
Santa Muerte 1
Secrets of the Mystic Grove 1
Slow Holler 1
Tarot de Jacques Vieville 1
Tarot Leaves 1
Tarot of the Origins 1
Tarot of the Sidhe 1
Tarot of the Sweet Twilight 1
The Alice Tarot by MRP 1
The Fantastic Menagerie Tarot 1
The Fey Tarot 1
The Herbcrafter's Tarot 1
The Light Seeker's Tarot 1
The Muse Tarot 1
The Victorian Fairy Tarot 1
The Victorian Flower Oracle 1
The Victorian Romantic 1
True Black Tarot 1
Ukiyoe Tarot 1
Universal Waite Tarot Deck 1
Wizards Tarot 1

Edited by fire cat pickles

fire cat pickles

Interesting that Anieth Nature, Morgan Greer, and The Dark Mansion are in Fourth Place with Four Mentions each. Very numerological....

Too bad Froud's Faeries Oracle didn't get four also. That way Froud's Faeries would have been the fourth fourth to get four in the fourth 😉

14 minutes ago, gregory said:

:lol:

Either I didn't vote, or single votes don't count ! Mine ain't up there.

No one voted. We just listed what decks we had used the most that month. 

???
It looks like it only started in December, 2019. Where did the other decks listed come from? Random threads? And if so, why are some mentioned but not others?

https://www.thetarotforum.com/forums/topic/8696-2019-month-of-december/?tab=comments#comment-140130

I agree there should be a more accurate count.

Edited by katrinka

So this actually means nothing; it wasn't a vote at all; if we didn't choose to chip in to those endless decks of the month threads which included discussion of about FAVOURITES, not just what we were using - which was why I didn't bother with them, what we used didn't count.

I'd have loved it to be like it was on AT - an actual vote - but on what we USED, not on "best decks" which is subjective in another way, and actually rather boring, as it always vacillates between what we think we OUGHT to put and what we actually like most.

Can we please have a new voting thread, simply asking what decks we used most in 2019, without any of the shenanigans on the side ? I mean honestly - how many of us change what deck we use most every month ? I hesitate to set one up, as I note that there was one, and it was deleted.

I will take all your suggestions and open a discussion in staff. I’m sure we can tweak things this year. I would also like to see if we can get a list that’s even more representative. But the thing is that staff cant be the ones managing it. If anyone is willing to arrange and run it then that would be great 👍 

21 minutes ago, katrinka said:

???
It looks like it only started in December, 2019. Where did the other decks listed come from? Random threads? And if so, why are some mentioned but not others?

https://www.thetarotforum.com/forums/topic/8696-2019-month-of-december/?tab=comments#comment-140130

I agree there should be a more accurate count.

No it started before the summer I believe. 

43 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

No it started before the summer I believe. 

OK.
The OP was posted December 1, 2019, and it says "This is a project that will run from now until Jan 1, 2020."
So it's kind of confusing.

51 minutes ago, gregory said:

So this actually means nothing; it wasn't a vote at all; if we didn't choose to chip in to those endless decks of the month threads which included discussion of about FAVOURITES, not just what we were using - which was why I didn't bother with them, what we used didn't count.

I'd have loved it to be like it was on AT - an actual vote - but on what we USED, not on "best decks" which is subjective in another way, and actually rather boring, as it always vacillates between what we think we OUGHT to put and what we actually like most.

Can we please have a new voting thread, simply asking what decks we used most in 2019, without any of the shenanigans on the side ? I mean honestly - how many of us change what deck we use most every month ? I hesitate to set one up, as I note that there was one, and it was deleted.

All of this.
I passed up a lot of threads like that because I had no idea there was any purpose to them, other than page after page of people naming decks.
It WOULD be better to have an actual poll or polls, on what people actually use.

8 minutes ago, katrinka said:

OK.
The OP was posted December 1, 2019, and it says "This is a project that will run from now until Jan 1, 2020."
So it's kind of confusing.

All of this.
I passed up a lot of threads like that because I had no idea there was any purpose to them, other than page after page of people naming decks.
It WOULD be better to have an actual poll or polls, on what people actually use.

This. The only info you have here comes from a very small group of people who chose to post repeatedly in various months.

Though I think there's a dud date up there - the threads were all started after May:

So we don't even have a full year. We would have, if we just took a vote now on the decks we used most over the year - which was what pickles first asked for:

And which would have given a much better idea. But it should simply be a vote at the end if the year - running a thread all year isn't IT, kinda.

Raggy - have I your permission to set up a simple poll ?

Edited by gregory

fire cat pickles

My idea was similar. It was a thread that asked for people to post a deck they would like to see included on a poll that I was going to create at the end of the year that everyone would vote on. The thread would have been open from May to December and only then would it be closed. Then, I was going to create a poll with all the suggestions and list our "Top 40" or something like that at the end of January 2020. I really wish I could see my original thread again to refresh my memory....

Thank you for the suggestions! I can tell that you all feel strongly about this and I hope that means you’ll want to help us make the most out of this 🙂 I have started up a discussion in the staff room and once the others have gotten a chance to chime in we will let you know. Please bear with us until then 💗

A simple poll like we had on AT shouldn't be that contentious.... why does it need approval anyway ? I only asked because the previous request for one had been summarily shut down.

2 hours ago, gregory said:

This. The only info you have here comes from a very small group of people who chose to post repeatedly in various months.

So a more fitting title might be "Decks most used by a tiny but vocal faction", with a disclaimer of some sort.

Though I think there's a dud date up there - the threads were all started after May:

The December post appears to have some copypaste from the May post.

So we don't even have a full year. We would have, if we just took a vote now on the decks we used most over the year - which was what pickles first asked for

I concur.
I think most of us can remember which decks we kept on the table and used a lot over the last year.
Mine aren't even stored with the others. They have their own boxes and tins, on tables. There's a few I haven't swapped out in ages.

1 hour ago, Raggydoll said:

I can tell that you all feel strongly about this and I hope that means you’ll want to help us make the most out of this 🙂 I have started up a discussion in the staff room and once the others have gotten a chance to chime in we will let you know. Please bear with us until then 💗

One more suggestion, that the thread(s) be clearly labeled as a poll, or something that will be counted at some point. "Most Widely Used Decks of 2019" just looks like a conversation starter, like "What is the postman bringing?" or "How do you like your eggs"?

Thank you.

@fire cat pickles I found your original post:

And I can tell that there is one detail that needs tweaking if this is to be doable, namely:

1. In this thread, list what decks you think should be included in the poll.  (I will ask moderators to delete extraneous posts, actually, so you may be wasting your time....) After about 500 posts or so (I really don't care how many), I will edit the opening post and create a poll with the decks you suggest.

We moderators cannot be checking that thread for extraneous posts so if you want to do this then find a way that doesn’t create extra work for us. Thank you 🌷

Well, I am happy to set one up myself, and blast anyone who posts more than deck titles. I'll do it when I get back fro town. Because except that the mod thing was unrealistic, this is a good thing that shouldn't have been shut down like that; it would be VERY different from the discussion threads about what deck you are using this month and why, and would probably (I can't be sure; we shall see) have attracted a greater NUMBER of posts and thus a more representative result. The more discussion-oriented threads attracted relatively few posts, because they weren't polls, and you got people saying different things each month. That doesn't tell us which deck you used most all year. How often did you use that deck in February ? When you switched to this other one in March, did you use it more or less than the one you...? and the like. Pickles' thread would have given us a global view. People would just name a deck - only one visit required.

fire cat pickles

@gregory if you want to start a new topic that's fine by me, as well. It's also alright if you want to lift parts of what I've written if you want to, no need to reinvent the wheel....

That's not it at all.

What Pickles wanted to set up, and what so many of us wanted was a simple poll (no discussion of why people like xyz) of which decks people used most over the year. ONE poll, not something that changed every month.  You set something up - yes indeed. But it was NOT what is being asked for and being discussed here. Most of us who were interested in this have not been contributing to your probably excellent threads as they weren't what we were looking for.

We hoped for a poll like AT used to have but one which actually meant something. Not "the BEST decks of all time" - where one felt morally obliged to cite the big three and so on - but the ones we actually used most - and not just over a month. The number of people in your threads is a tiny proportion of the membership.

ETA OK I have set one up.

Just name your deck ! I don't wish to know why that was the one :classic_smile:

Edited by gregory