The Work-In-Progress Thread

Raggydoll

This is the place where you can share your work in progress with the rest of us. It is not mandatory, see it as a fun way of getting support, encouragement and inspiration! 

Since I was able to start working on this card a couple of days prior to the launch, I have made a little bit of progress and I thought that I would take a deep breath and be the first one to post here. My card is the Explorer of Air (equivalent to the Knight of Swords). I am using traditional techniques - graphite and charcoal. And I am obviously not anywhere near done. But that IS the point of this thread after all, so... here goes!!

IMG_4548.thumb.jpg.d171e604d2652bf74fa8666dfcba9355.jpg

OH! Beautiful! What was your inspiration for the figure? Had you someone historical or mythical in mind?

Edited by Starlight

52 minutes ago, Starlight said:

OH! Beautiful! What was your inspiration for the figure? Had you someone historical or mythical in mind?

Aww! Thank you!! This illustration is not based on a specific character or a myth, it is rather based on my own musings. I knew that I wanted to portray the element of air and I definitely wanted a court card. The knight is usually seen as a man and I wanted to shake things up. This woman is strong, swift and clever. But she sees no need to display her strength when it isn't necessary. She chooses her battles to reserve her energies. At this stage she is observing, assessing and listening to the good advice of her allies. She is exploring her surroundings and her life circumstances. The crow helps her to see things form a higher perspective; it speaks with wisdom and from experience. The crow can see beyond the visible, into what has been and to what will be. It is there to caution her and to guide her on her path, as long as she takes the time to listen. If she talks too much or starts picking unnecessary fights then she will not be able to hear it. There is a sense of strategy and preparation, but that must not fool you. She will fire her bow in seconds, should it be necessary. Her mind and her fingers are as quick as the wind. She is one you do not want to underestimate. You might just need her to speak for you, and to help you fight your battle at some point.

You've thought about the Explorer of Air in depth, @Raggydoll. The way you've written about her, it feels like you've really connected with that energy. I can't wait to see the finished card!

31 minutes ago, Starlight said:

You've thought about the Explorer of Air in depth, @Raggydoll. The way you've written about her, it feels like you've really connected with that energy. I can't wait to see the finished card!

Thank you!

winnie the pooh hug GIF

38 minutes ago, Jewel said:

She is beautiful!  I love that she is using arrows instead of a swrod.  Not to mention that I love the crow and its symbolism.

Thank you my friend!! ❤️❤️❤️

5 hours ago, Jewel said:

She is beautiful!  I love that she is using arrows instead of a swrod.  Not to mention that I love the crow and its symbolism.

agree! luv your art And text!^^ totally works as king for me!^^ lol

EvelynnMorragan

@Raggydoll your piece is GLORIOUS! Not only is your vision dead on, but your expression of that vision is magnificent! The text you added is quite fantastic as well!

Cannot wait to follow your and others progress!

13 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Aww! Thank you!! This illustration is not based on a specific character or a myth, it is rather based on my own musings. I knew that I wanted to portray the element of air and I definitely wanted a court card. The knight is usually seen as a man and I wanted to shake things up. This woman is strong, swift and clever. But she sees no need to display her strength when it isn't necessary. She chooses her battles to reserve her energies. At this stage she is observing, assessing and listening to the good advice of her allies. She is exploring her surroundings and her life circumstances. The crow helps her to see things form a higher perspective; it speaks with wisdom and from experience. The crow can see beyond the visible, into what has been and to what will be. It is there to caution her and to guide her on her path, as long as she takes the time to listen. If she talks too much or starts picking unnecessary fights then she will not be able to hear it. There is a sense of strategy and preparation, but that must not fool you. She will fire her bow in seconds, should it be necessary. Her mind and her fingers are as quick as the wind. She is one you do not want to underestimate. You might just need her to speak for you, and to help you fight your battle at some point.

Wow! What a strong image and description. The Nurturer and the Elder of Air are gonna have to have super super-powers to match her. 

6 hours ago, EvelynnMorragan said:

@Raggydoll your piece is GLORIOUS! Not only is your vision dead on, but your expression of that vision is magnificent! The text you added is quite fantastic as well!

Cannot wait to follow your and others progress!

Wow, that is so nice of you to say! ❤️❤️❤️

4 hours ago, Arabella said:

Wow! What a strong image and description. The Nurturer and the Elder of Air are gonna have to have super super-powers to match her. 

Aww 🥰 

Very small update, but I sketched in the actual bow and then begun working on her clothes. The shading is done in layers to make it more three dimensional so it will take a while to get it done. At this point I am blending graphite and charcoal to get different shades and contrasts. For those that haven’t worked with these mediums - graphite has smooth particles and therefore is shiny, while charcoal has rough particles that do not reflect light. I always use pure charcoal for the darkest areas - like the pupils and darkest parts of the shadows. I use graphite for light areas and for details made to imitate metal etc. And then I blend the two on a piece of paper and use a paper stomp (similar to a tortillon but smoother) to mix them and create middle. So the paper becomes like a palette. (Lighter skin tones is usually pure graphite). I then add white details back in with a pen eraser that I cut with a scalpel to make really sharp. That’s basically it, though hair is rendered a bit differently. Multiple layers with mixed techniques. The most important bit though is to not touch the paper with your bare hands - I rest my hand of a piece of printer paper. Hand grease will create areas that attract more color and you will never get a smooth result otherwise. Quick 101 😀

1AB68921-8FD3-4F57-BC05-A7122445FD21.thumb.jpeg.dbfb93228df0b32a9ab599b5a6fd46e1.jpeg

16 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Very small update, but I sketched in the actual bow and then begun working on her clothes. The shading is done in layers to make it more three dimensional so it will take a while to get it done. At this point I am blending graphite and charcoal to get different shades and contrasts. For those that haven’t worked with these mediums - graphite has smooth particles and therefore is shiny, while charcoal has rough particles that do not reflect light. I always use pure charcoal for the darkest areas - like the pupils and darkest parts of the shadows. I use graphite for light areas and for details made to imitate metal etc. And then I blend the two on a piece of paper and use a paper stomp (similar to a tortillon but smoother) to mix them and create middle. So the paper becomes like a palette. (Lighter skin tones is usually pure graphite). I then add white details back in with a pen eraser that I cut with a scalpel to make really sharp. That’s basically it, though hair is rendered a bit differently. Multiple layers with mixed techniques. The most important bit though is to not touch the paper with your bare hands - I rest my hand of a piece of printer paper. Hand grease will create areas that attract more color and you will never get a smooth result otherwise. Quick 101 😀

1AB68921-8FD3-4F57-BC05-A7122445FD21.thumb.jpeg.dbfb93228df0b32a9ab599b5a6fd46e1.jpeg

Beautiful beautiful work @Raggydoll! Are you planning anything for background, just curious?

An update on the 6 of Earth: I've got the concept pinned down and gathered together images and quotes for inspiration. I'm planning to start the drawing today.

Should we be writing the lwb card notes at the same time, @Raggydoll? Do you want them at the same time as the artwork?

8 hours ago, Day Soleil said:

Beautiful beautiful work @Raggydoll! Are you planning anything for background, just curious?

Thank you!! I do not think so, but I am undecided 🙂

(I might first scan the image without background and then consider adding it. That way I can choose which I like best)

5 hours ago, Starlight said:

An update on the 6 of Earth: I've got the concept pinned down and gathered together images and quotes for inspiration. I'm planning to start the drawing today.

Should we be writing the lwb card notes at the same time, @Raggydoll? Do you want them at the same time as the artwork?

How exciting!! I think it’s good to write it down as you work on the card so that you can send it all to Little Fang in one email 😀

49 minutes ago, 2curious said:

Raggydoll, she is IMPRESSIVE! Thank you for sharing your exceptional talent with us. It is truly remarkable!

Oh thank you! That is very very kind of you to say 💗

Here is the latest update pic I had on my phone:

39B9563B-F575-4274-8824-509FF2B91AC8.thumb.jpeg.96042644b972fc55e0c99fcbf365022e.jpeg

I need to do the bow and arrows and then I will tweak the skin tone before I scan it. I have yet to decide whether I want a background or not so I am going to scan and test it out to see how I feel.

ETA: I will digitally add more white surface underneath her. I am working in double the original size so I’m a bit short on paper below her. I wanted to have room for sky and birds if I wanted to add that later on. We shall see 😊

12 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Here is the latest update pic I had on my phone:

39B9563B-F575-4274-8824-509FF2B91AC8.thumb.jpeg.96042644b972fc55e0c99fcbf365022e.jpeg

I need to do the bow and arrows and then I will tweak the skin tone before I scan it. I have yet to decide whether I want a background or not so I am going to scan and test it out to see how I feel.

ETA: I will digitally add more white surface underneath her. I am working in double the original size so I’m a bit short on paper below her. I wanted to have room for sky and birds if I wanted to add that later on. We shall see 😊

Absolutely love her! And looking forward to see her with and without background ❤️

I shall NOT post my WiP, nor even my finished card (or cards.) I am a great believer in the shock that comes when the deck is complete :rofl: 

Also showing mine in the company of Raggy's is - well, just NO. Photocollage is my thing. End of.

25 minutes ago, gregory said:

I shall NOT post my WiP, nor even my finished card (or cards.) I am a great believer in the shock that comes when the deck is complete :rofl: 

Also showing mine in the company of Raggy's is - well, just NO. Photocollage is my thing. End of.

@gregory I hear you loud and clear with regards to showing anything next to Raggy's works. But.... if you make a collage that is different to her art work, so there is no way to compare it 🤪 So can we see something?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.