The Work-In-Progress Thread

Raggydoll

6 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

I've been drawing an initial idea of what I want the Wheel of Fortune to look like.  This is a concept drawing rather than what it will actually look like so excuse all my rubbing out that I didn't do very well!

I've picked a modern-looking spinning wheel (modelled on my own wheel) for the wheel itself to represent how we try to control our fortune ourselves.  When one spins, one learns to carefully control the wheel to make the outcome (the yarn) that we want and I thought that was a good metaphor here.  On the wheel will be symbols representing the tarot suites and I'm still working out what other symbolism I'm going to include here.  Around the wheel are going to be fairies, who are going to be spinning the wheel.  The fairies represent the unseen things that turn fortunes wheel for us and tell us that we can't always control our own fate.  The wheel naturally wants to spin in a clockwise direction due to the weighted beam across it (I modelled this on my own spinning wheel) and naturally wants to rest at a particular point.  The fairies trying to turn it also want to show us the possibly of change - what happens if we change direction, what happens if we find a different resting point?

I'm not sure what media I'm going to use yet.  I'm most comfortable with photos, so I might try a photo collage, but I might also try a drawing or a painting or something else.  Very much to be decided!

DSC04791.thumb.JPG.34d90a42db0e82c10249012fd6ba0940.JPG

I was hoping I would see a spinning wheel of sorts in your card!! This feels so YOU! You are so aligned with this vision that it gives me shivers. I love love love your idea!! 

5 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I was hoping I would see a spinning wheel of sorts in your card!! This feels so YOU! You are so aligned with this vision that it gives me shivers. I love love love your idea!! 

Actually, it was while sitting and working at my wheel and cursing the fact it kept spinning the wrong way that gave me the initial concept!  In the case of the yarn I was spinning, I had it adjusted wrong, but it could easily have been the fairies wanting me to try something different!

13 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I am so sorry I made it so strict, but you know what, I suggest we do this: we compile a pdf with 100 words per card as a LWB and then we offer a more in depth source here on the forum. So write a longer explanation too. I will add this to the main thread later today, I think it will be good because then people can write a really in depth explanation as well as a more to the point one. Sounds good?

That is a great idea!!!

4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I have begun working with Elder of Earth. This is of course a really early stage but the vision is starting to emerge.

These are some musings that came to me as I was planning this card:

This is the woman who listens to the voices of the mountains. She is fully in tune with the nature around her and she is guiding her tribe to a prosperous relationship with each other and with the land. She will listen more than she speaks and when she speaks, it will be from experience and with the greater good in mind. Because she knows life and she has seen all sides of it. She is now at a place where she has taken a step back so that she can perceive the bigger picture and channel the voice of the ancestors; the guardians of the tribe and of the land. This card will want you to think about what questions you really should be asking. (If any!) See things from a greater perspective and try to understand your place in it all. There is a sense of responsibilities and of heritage; to do what is necessary and to think of the long term consequences. This leader - this Elder - will give you courage and reassurance. She can help you rise to your potential and to fill the shoes that you were meant to walk in. But she will not cut you any slack. 

(This picture was taken with a phone camera in a poorly lit room so bear with me!) 

IMG_4593.thumb.jpg.5e3adf4d05d9d7b03acf7b750117bf42.jpg

She is gorgeous! Can not wait to see her finished ❤️

3 hours ago, stephanelli said:

I've been drawing an initial idea of what I want the Wheel of Fortune to look like.  This is a concept drawing rather than what it will actually look like so excuse all my rubbing out that I didn't do very well!

I've picked a modern-looking spinning wheel (modelled on my own wheel) for the wheel itself to represent how we try to control our fortune ourselves.  When one spins, one learns to carefully control the wheel to make the outcome (the yarn) that we want and I thought that was a good metaphor here.  On the wheel will be symbols representing the tarot suites and I'm still working out what other symbolism I'm going to include here.  Around the wheel are going to be fairies, who are going to be spinning the wheel.  The fairies represent the unseen things that turn fortunes wheel for us and tell us that we can't always control our own fate.  The wheel naturally wants to spin in a clockwise direction due to the weighted beam across it (I modelled this on my own spinning wheel) and naturally wants to rest at a particular point.  The fairies trying to turn it also want to show us the possibly of change - what happens if we change direction, what happens if we find a different resting point?

I'm not sure what media I'm going to use yet.  I'm most comfortable with photos, so I might try a photo collage, but I might also try a drawing or a painting or something else.  Very much to be decided!

DSC04791.thumb.JPG.34d90a42db0e82c10249012fd6ba0940.JPG

How cool and great is this!!! Well done @stephanelli I could see this as a drawing ❤️

29 minutes ago, joy said:

That is a great idea!!!

28 minutes ago, joy said:

She is gorgeous! Can not wait to see her finished ❤️

Thank you!!

looney tunes kiss GIF

1 hour ago, joy said:

How cool and great is this!!! Well done @stephanelli I could see this as a drawing ❤️

I've got an edited photo idea in my head currently that I'm following it's train of thought, but we shall see. 🙂

2 hours ago, stephanelli said:

I've got an edited photo idea in my head currently that I'm following it's train of thought, but we shall see. 🙂

Sounds great too!

So I've been doing lots of work on my card since I posted my concept drawing.  (Just to say as well that I'm using the free program called Krita, I can highly recommend, I find it much more intuitive than a lot of the other digital art programs around).  All the photos are ones that I've taken.

I took a nice picture of my wheel and have been busy cropping it (I did a magic crop and then tidied it up using an eraser brush to get transparency around it).  Then I was flicking through my pictures for a nice background and came on one that I realised was absolutely perfect.  I had to do a little adjustment - extending the grass in front with a clone brush, cropping the top because it wasn't centred right for use here (but was a lovely photo on its own!).  Then I've layered the two images and I'm so happy with the result!  I've still got more I intend to do.  I've got adjustments to do on the wheel (mainly adding some extra details to it) and I need to work out how I'm going to add little fairies that will turn the wheel but I'm pleased with progress so far.  The idea is that the wheel is going to look like its almost floating here - it is the Wheel of Fortune after all - so I'll either have like a cloudy effect or a magically sparkly effect, I haven't decided which yet!

I've got some great ideas for my LWB notes too (both extended and short versions!)

WheelOfFortune.thumb.jpg.6260c53b2f4520757b0ac285a0a3ed15.jpg

@stephanelli It looks perfect!!! I really love your style! Just make sure those people and the trees don't get too close to the edge. I think I said 0,5 inch from the sides but I should perhaps double check that with the template. Just leave extra room to be really safe! 

ETA: If you want me to test it out for you in the printerstudio software then I am happy to do so, and I can give you a screenshot so you see what it would look like!

6 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

@stephanelli It looks perfect!!! I really love your style! Just make sure those people and the trees don't get too close to the edge. I think I said 0,5 inch from the sides but I should perhaps double check that with the template. Just leave extra room to be really safe! 

ETA: If you want me to test it out for you in the printerstudio software then I am happy to do so, and I can give you a screenshot so you see what it would look like!

Ive been working with a box showing me the right area 😛 it *should* be fine, but I will probably bring the people in a little bit just to be extra safe.  Might have to extend to trees into that area a bit (my photo wasn't designed for this 😛 but we're using it anyway!)

43 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

Ive been working with a box showing me the right area 😛 it *should* be fine, but I will probably bring the people in a little bit just to be extra safe.  Might have to extend to trees into that area a bit (my photo wasn't designed for this 😛 but we're using it anyway!)

Sounds perfect! I think it looks so cool with those ‘shadow’ people!!

23 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Sounds perfect! I think it looks so cool with those ‘shadow’ people!!

The shadow people are amazing. This was actually part of a sculpture trail but amusing I can't remember what this one was meant to be.  Either way, it's actually done with mirrors but I think it fits perfectly with the theme I was after!

I also want to mention here that if anyone else wants me to help them test out their card in printerstudios software to make sure that the format is right then I will! 

Saturn Celeste
48 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I also want to mention here that if anyone else wants me to help them test out their card in printerstudios software to make sure that the format is right then I will! 

Thank you!  That would be great!!

28 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

🙂 thank you!

I've now finished my card and sent it in!  I'm really proud of it 🙂

Congratulations!!! excited will ferrell GIF

1 hour ago, stephanelli said:

🙂 thank you!

I've now finished my card and sent it in!  I'm really proud of it 🙂

You ought to be darn proud! Well done you!!

200.gif

Just now, gregory said:

As you see - MY drawing is on the basic side. But the mouse found it powerful....

I so love this drawing!! 🥰 And hubby thinks it’s fab! It looks like modern art!

4 hours ago, gregory said:

As you see - MY drawing is on the basic side. But the mouse found it powerful....

Love love love it!!! It is very very very contemporary!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.