The Work-In-Progress Thread

Raggydoll

1 hour ago, geoxena said:

I guess I am also just venting because it's not coming together the way I'd hoped.  I thought I'd be finished by now.

It's frustrating, but you might need to take a complete break and let your intuitive side solve the issues. Sleep on it, do anything other than the card, and you might have a bolt of lightning strike when least expected. :bubble_bthumbsup:

Thank you.  I'm feeling better about it.  Had considered starting all over again, but decided instead to keep working on the parts of the drawing that I like, and I figure a solution for the issues I'm struggling with will show itself.  So, I added a stormy sky and it looks pretty good - gives some definite drama to the piece - and finished the bird, which came out so cute.  Then I had to work on my Nurturer's skin tone.  I had mixed an oil-based pencil in with the wax-based ones I mostly use because I couldn't find the one I really needed.  Well it's normally fine to mix different kinds of pencils, but in this case the color wasn't right and it just looked muddy and sort of messed her up.  So tonight I fixed it and am very happy with her now.  Tomorrow I work on her vines-and-branches hairdo!

Edited by geoxena

30 minutes ago, geoxena said:

Thank you.  I'm feeling better about it.  Had considered starting all over again, but decided instead to keep working on the parts of the drawing that I like, and I figure a solution for the issues I'm struggling with will show itself.  So, I added a stormy sky and it looks pretty good - gives some definite drama to the piece - and finished the bird, which came out so cute.  Then I had to work on my Nurturer's skin tone.  I had mixed an oil-based pencil in with the wax-based ones I mostly use because I couldn't find the one I really needed.  Well it's normally fine to mix different kinds of pencils, but in this case the color wasn't right and it just looked muddy and sort of messed her up.  So tonight I fixed it and am very happy with her now.  Tomorrow I work on her vines-and-branches hairdo!

Yay!! Exciting!!

How You Doing Matt Leblanc GIF by Friends

Thank you, Joey and @Raggydoll.  But sorry Joey, you don't stand a chance with me.  I like my men with long grey hair.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:54 AM, Starlight said:

You are one of the coolest Grandmas ever, @Grandma!!

(And in all seriousness, what is your secret?)

Thank you Starlight.  My secret, I guess, is that I don't have a secret.  I'm just myself.  What I am is what you see and what you see is what I get.  For close to fifty years I tried to be like other people but I never got the hang of it so I just stopped trying.

@Starlight I think your Elder of Water is perfect as initially posted, for reasons expressed by others.  I love how he stands out against the luminous sky.  Most of all I feel protected and free with him because he is like my maternal grandfather, my beloved Papa, who was wise, calm, loving, brave, quietly adventurous, in love with life but not cowed by death.

17 hours ago, geoxena said:

Thank you.  I'm feeling better about it.  Had considered starting all over again, but decided instead to keep working on the parts of the drawing that I like, and I figure a solution for the issues I'm struggling with will show itself.

Yay- that's great!! I hope I didn't come across as critical before. My intent was to help jog your intuition with questions cos our Muses like open questions, I've heard. I definitely was not trying to add to your concerns.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, joy said:

@Grandma love your 9 of swords! The look in her/your face is priceless! And you do look fab no need to hide!

I'm glad you love the card @joy.  I tried to look as anguished as I could, using method acting to recall scenes of terror from my life (joke, sort of).

And do you really think I look good without the scary makeup?  Okay, I guess I'll stop wearing it when I go out in public (joke, really).

11 minutes ago, Grandma said:

My secret, I guess, is that I don't have a secret.  I'm just myself.  What I am is what you see and what you see is what I get.  For close to fifty years I tried to be like other people but I never got the hang of it so I just stopped trying.

This is very true. The older I get the less I feel I have to conform, thankfully. (I never really fitted in with the rest of my peers anyway. I couldn't understand why.) Being yourself - yeah. That is the best we can do. Be kind, and be ourselves. Thanks, Grandma. :heart:

6 minutes ago, Grandma said:

@Starlight I think your Elder of Water is perfect as initially posted, for reasons expressed by others.  I love how he stands out against the luminous sky.  Most of all I feel protected and free with him because he is like my maternal grandfather, my beloved Papa, who was wise, calm, loving, brave, quietly adventurous, in love with life but not cowed by death.

YES!! All those facets. Quietly adventurous. I love that.

I guess my Elder is complete then. Time to write up the keywords and the text.

1 minute ago, Starlight said:

what you see is what I get

Well if that isn't a Freudian typo.  I meant, of course, what you see is what YOU get.  So who do really think is more important Grandma, you or everyone else?

OK so I am late to the party but wanted to weigh in:

@Grandmayou are a cute thing, aren't you! Thank you for sharing your pic:animated-smileys-hug-002:

@Starlightlike others I too prefer your Elder of Water without the extras.  @Wandererput it very eloquently and I agree 100%.

@geoxenaI am glad your concept is settling in and you are happy with how it is manifesting.  Glad you did not go with a volcano as I would have immediately associated that with Pele and Fire.  I cannot wait to see your card!

1 hour ago, Jewel said:

@Grandmayou are a cute thing, aren't you! Thank you for sharing your pic

Thank you and you're welcome!  Now if anyone has a cute Grandpa to fix me up with since I got rid of the one I had....

17 hours ago, Starlight said:

I hope I didn't come across as critical before.

Hiya Starlight, I meant to respond to this sooner but it slipped my mind.  You were very helpful and I can't even imagine what could possibly be construed as critical from your comments - so, no worries!

2 hours ago, Jewel said:

. . . I am glad your concept is settling in and you are happy with how it is manifesting.  Glad you did not go with a volcano as I would have immediately associated that with Pele and Fire. 

Thanks, Jewel!  I hadn't thought of the Fire element in relation to a volcano.  I just keep thinking Earth, Earth, Earth, which can encompass all the elements in so many ways, but I'm hoping the characteristics of stability, security, and solidity come through in what I've drawn.

56 minutes ago, geoxena said:

I'm hoping the characteristics of stability, security, and solidity come through in what I've drawn.

Show me and I will tell you! :evil:

Been away with the storm and all.

I redid The seer without the veil and columns, much better. However, the sigils and runes I tried on her dress were too much, as they got too small to read. I want at least 2 runes present somewhere so I am currently trying out a few things.

Hiya everybody. I'm not ready to show the whole card but below is a snippet of my Nurturer of Earth:

IMG_20200212_225414.thumb.jpg.4358fcfdf43414acab172e4807bd35f4.jpg

Yes, there are creatures living in her tree-hair.  And she has more mocha-colored skin tone than how it looks here. The flash washed her out, and the sky, too, which is more moody and blue-grey.

@Raggydoll, I was delayed in getting to the scanning place, but will do it tomorrow and send it as soon as I get the digital file. I may have to fix her one arm before I bring it; the foreshortening looks weird now that I see it in photos.

Edited by geoxena

20 minutes ago, geoxena said:

Hiya everybody. I'm not ready to show the whole card but below is a snippet of my Nurturer of Earth:

Yes, there are creatures living in her tree-hair.  And she has more mocha-colored skin tone than how it looks here. The flash washed her out, and the sky, too, which is more moody and blue-grey.

@Raggydoll, I was delayed in getting to the scanning place, but will do it tomorrow and send it as soon as I get the digital file. I may have to fix her one arm before I bring it; the foreshortening looks weird now that I see it in photos.

No worries. I look forward to it 💗

I've finished the write-up for my Elder of Water. I'll look over it one more time to see if there's anything I need to add and then send it off later this evening. 🙂

(I added in your words about "quiet adventure" to the meaning, @Grandma. It resonated very well with what I was trying to depict.)

Edited by Starlight

..... And my Elder of Water is complete!

I've sent the image(s) and card meanings and copyright notices to the weareone email address, @Raggydoll. I've sent two versions of the card because I'm not sure how faithful to the colours the card will print. Just in case the ocean becomes a murky background, I included a second brighter version, but I prefer the darker version myself. 🙂

I will start working on the Sun over the weekend!

8 hours ago, geoxena said:

Once again your textures are so rich I can almost feel them, geoxena - just beautiful!

4 hours ago, Starlight said:

(I added in your words about "quiet adventure" to the meaning, @Grandma. It resonated very well with what I was trying to depict.

I'm so glad!  I really love this card, Starlight.

40 minutes ago, Grandma said:

I'm so glad!  I really love this card, Starlight.

Your grandfather sounds like he was a very good and kind man, Grandma. Between your words about him and my initial inspiration for the Elder in the form of a Welsh lifeboat captain, the card really came alive for me.

On 2/12/2020 at 11:00 PM, geoxena said:

She is beautiful!  I can definitely feel her connection with the Empress and with the Earth!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.