The Work-In-Progress Thread

Raggydoll

On 2/13/2020 at 9:11 AM, Starlight said:

Your grandfather sounds like he was a very good and kind man, Grandma. Between your words about him and my initial inspiration for the Elder in the form of a Welsh lifeboat captain, the card really came alive for me.

I am humbled that my memory of my Papa was so meaningful to you, Starlight.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:00 AM, geoxena said:

Hiya everybody. I'm not ready to show the whole card but below is a snippet of my Nurturer of Earth:

IMG_20200212_225414.thumb.jpg.4358fcfdf43414acab172e4807bd35f4.jpg

Yes, there are creatures living in her tree-hair.  And she has more mocha-colored skin tone than how it looks here. The flash washed her out, and the sky, too, which is more moody and blue-grey.

She looks fabulous! Love her hair and her 'top'! ❤️

I'm not showing ANY of mine in advance. So There ! (I embarrass easily, and also I like surprises when I open collaborative decks.) Everyone's look great though.

I really must get on to my last card....

7 hours ago, gregory said:

I'm not showing ANY of mine in advance. So There ! (I embarrass easily, and also I like surprises when I open collaborative decks.) Everyone's look great though.

Fair enough!!! But I am sure there is nothing to be embarrassed about ❤️

On 2/16/2020 at 8:41 AM, gregory said:

I totally respect how you feel, but I agree with Joy, I doubt there is anything to be embarrassed by.  I am just excited that you participated and cannot wait to have the deck!  It is going to be something so special with it being created by my friends and people I really respect.  If nothing else, I know every single card in this deck was well thought out and created by people that love Tarot :bubble_blove:

On 2/18/2020 at 10:09 AM, Jewel said:

I totally respect how you feel, but I agree with Joy, I doubt there is anything to be embarrassed by.  I am just excited that you participated and cannot wait to have the deck!  It is going to be something so special with it being created by my friends and people I really respect.  If nothing else, I know every single card in this deck was well thought out and created by people that love Tarot :bubble_blove:

That is exactly how I feel :animated-smileys-hug-002:

23 minutes ago, Pen said:

Here's the Elder of Air - hope you like him.  Must walk the lovely dog now - will add the text later.

ElderOfAirSmall.jpg.74d140984c468fcb2ce420701f3cf865.jpg

I love it!!! Do you want us to use this version or will you send a larger file to our email? (I haven't checked the size on this but I saw you had named it "small" so I assumed it wasn't the full size piece.) 

36 minutes ago, Pen said:

I'll send you a new larger one - this one is smaller and has been trimmed to print size. (PM received and replied to). 

Excellent!

Here's the amended one (I made the first too short).

Elder of Air

Pen_ElderOfAir2small.jpg.fdb728b8f3313cb4fad8cb7b3bd76e90.jpg

The Elder of Air has always had high aspirations and ideals. He has spent his life attaining knowledge and from this lofty peak above the clouds he can watch over his people yet treasure the peace he needs for his sharp intellect to work unhindered. I see him as a sort of Zarathustra, pondering on the mysteries of Life, the Universe and Everything. He gazes out to distant horizons, silent in spite of his usual brilliance with words, slowly becoming one with Air as his arms turn to wings, when he will take one step and soar even higher into the blue.

57 minutes ago, Pen said:

Here's the amended one (I made the first too short).

How clever of you to add spirals beneath him to lengthen the drawing!  They fit within the image so perfectly and look like you intended to have them there all along.  I had to lengthen one of mine, too, and needed to do a lot of work to extend it.  Hopefully the second one I submitted won't be problematic.

Beautiful image, btw.  Colored pencil and watercolor?

Edited by geoxena

@Pen I love your Elder of Air and I see in him everything that you described.  The blue and white swirls are mesmerizing and the way his hair merges into the white of the air around him show him, as you said, slowly becoming one with the air.  I'm glad you joined our project!

Just majestic, @Pen - a true Elder! He'll take a little getting to know, I feel, but will be well worth the effort. I'm looking forward to working with him!

Thank you all so much for the lovely words - they mean a lot to me. 

Yes, geoxena, coloured pencils with a few touches of white watercolour. The image began with a pencil drawing, but changed direction after I printed it out to make a colour study with crayons, working on top of the print. The finished study had a different quality - somewhat like an etching - but when scanned the sky areas needed some work in Photoshop to smooth them out.

33 minutes ago, Pen said:

Thank you all so much for the lovely words - they mean a lot to me. 

Yes, geoxena, coloured pencils with a few touches of white watercolour. The image began with a pencil drawing, but changed direction after I printed it out to make a colour study with crayons, working on top of the print. The finished study had a different quality - somewhat like an etching - but when scanned the sky areas needed some work in Photoshop to smooth them out.

It’s so inspiring to hear you describe your process! 

It's a pleasure, gregory, and refreshing to create just a few cards rather than commit to a whole tarot. 🙂

Re. Photoshop filters, I play about with them sometimes but usually end up leaving things unchanged. My son has an app that can  apply the styles of different artists to photos and paintings - app creators are getting very clever at this sort of thing. 

Thank you! I've been doing it a long time and feel it should come a lot easier, but maybe if every bit of work was not a challenge I wouldn't keep striving for perfect realization of what's in my head. As it is, I never get there...  🤩

18 minutes ago, Pen said:

Thank you! I've been doing it a long time and feel it should come a lot easier, but maybe if every bit of work was not a challenge I wouldn't keep striving for perfect realization of what's in my head. As it is, I never get there...  🤩

Omigosh, I think that issue is a major factor in why I never pursued making art as much as I wanted - I was always frustrated with the fact that my hands could not create EXACTLY what I saw in my mind's eye.  And so I would look at things I'd made always with a bit of misgiving, as if I had screwed it up somehow, even if the "flaw" was tiny.  And that would then feed into guilt for being an "imposter" who should never claim to be an artist!  Amazing what machinations my mind can create in conjunction with old, negative self-beliefs.  I am now using my participation in this deck as one way to reclaim my identity as an artist, which is what I was known for as a child, and to put my art out there in the world for the first time since I won a blue ribbon for a landscape drawing when I was about 16 years old - I turn 60 this April.  Better late than never!

Edited by geoxena

It's hard, geoxena, but creativity feeds the soul - it has sustained me my whole life. It's a shame that your feelings held you back, but you're certainly not alone - even among professional artists - and it's possible that if our artistic visions were realized perfectly there'd be nothing left to strive for. Definitely better late than never! 

And... it's one of the three ingredients for contentment, if not happiness: someone/something to love; something to look forward to, and something to achieve. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.