noiremisfortune

DIY Tarot/Cartomancy Question

noiremisfortune

Has anyone else made their own diy decks and how well did they work out for you?

I made a mini italian cartomancy deck out of posterboard and while accurate I just couldn't bond with it the way I have with mass produced decks that I owned. Does that mean I did something wrong??

katrinka

In 2008, I was making something called the Mesquite Oracle.
It wasn't a deck, but rather a casting oracle burned on slices of mesquite wood. I did actual little pictures rather than glyphs, and I sold some sets and kept one for myself. (Mine has some oak slices as well - the idea started as oak, but I found that mesquite looked much nicer.)

mesquite.thumb.jpg.d551f84b57d608d7ea4bad9c3060e61e.jpg

It does work well. I started with ideas of events and concepts like payday, endings, miracles, loyalty, etc., rather than just making pictures and assigning meanings afterwards.
I still use it sometimes. https://fennario.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/i-make-oracles/

I'd make them again if I had someone to slice the mesquite branches for me. I have some revisions in mind. But I don't trust myself with a table saw, I'd amputate some fingers!

katrinka

I think that's the issue with DIY oracles: wanting to revise them.
When you get a Lenormand or a Tarot or a Kipper, what's there is what you work with. But when it's your idea, it's hard to stop making it.

noiremisfortune

I completely agree, it is hard to stop working with but for me...i just couldn't work with it to begin with...

katrinka

Posterboard isn't the nicest thing to shuffle.
Have you considered scanning the images and having them printed up here?

https://www.makeplayingcards.com/

noiremisfortune
40 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Posterboard isn't the nicest thing to shuffle.
Have you considered scanning the images and having them printed up here?

https://www.makeplayingcards.com/

Did that with my oracle deck but that was expensive and was afraid to try them again

gregory

Printerstudio - same outfit, and not DIRT cheap; but I think the prices are fair. The other thing you can do - which I did before I discovered PS - is print on lightweight card and laminate with a home machine.

Arania

Or put them in sleeves designed for CCGs.