More Kickstarter decks for your thoughts

FindYourSovereignty

11 hours ago, FindYourSovereignty said:

I passed on the Titanic - hear it is a lovely collector's deck, but it wasn't for me, but this one is kind of pulling on my childhood heartstrings and seems to work better for a tarot deck.

That's what keeps drawing me back--I watched Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz *so many times* as a kid. And it's not too expensive, in the grand scheme...

Lubanko Tarot on the 15th, though. I'm waiting to see what those prices come out to, first.

FindYourSovereignty
5 hours ago, Niobium said:

That's what keeps drawing me back--I watched Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz *so many times* as a kid. And it's not too expensive, in the grand scheme...

Lubanko Tarot on the 15th, though. I'm waiting to see what those prices come out to, first.

Yes, exactly.  

I hadn’t heard of the Lubanko Tarot so I had to go look it up. 😊 I can see why you’d want to consider it first. It will be interesting to see what she is seeking per deck. 

So, the artist posted a FAQ on tumblr, and in fact answered a few questions:

How much will the deck be?

$65 + shipping! Shipping is looking to be about $10-12 in the US, quite a bit more international unfortunately (I have no control over shipping prices, alas.)

What are the cards going to be like in terms of look and feel? What cardstock?

The final deck will be 350gsm high quality matte cardstock with a protective UV varnish. I want this to be both a beautiful and hardy deck, and to be usable and good to shuffle, so I’m going to be testing all of that before I finalize it!

Right now I’m waiting on a fancy prototype of the real deck from the printer, so expect to see an update on that when it gets here! I’ve already submitted my files to the printer, so it’s underway and sure to happen.

So, spendy...though that's some nice stock. Hm. If she puts a 2-part box as a stretch goal, I'll probably do it. I really...really dislike tuck boxes for long term storage. If that's not a stretch goal, I'll have to think about it.

FindYourSovereignty
5 hours ago, Niobium said:

So, the artist posted a FAQ on tumblr, and in fact answered a few questions:

So, spendy...though that's some nice stock. Hm. If she puts a 2-part box as a stretch goal, I'll probably do it. I really...really dislike tuck boxes for long term storage. If that's not a stretch goal, I'll have to think about it.

Yes, pricey. I really don’t like tuck boxes. I don’t understand creators selling beautiful and expensive decks in a tuck box. I get though that it is a good stretch goal upgrade. 

I’ve decided to skip the Oz Tarot. 

And, another crowd funded deck, though this is Indiegogo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-lazy-crow-tarot-deck?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bck-08162020update&utm_term=#/

I need to freely admit I love the look of this one. I like a fun deck. I'm not a fan of the vertical numbers for the higher order minors, but I can let it go. Also this artist said something so funny in a recent update:

`Okay, I'm starting to realize I am underestimating how much people like tarot decks. `

Oh my sweet summer child.

I'm having a little eye on the Cosmic Visions tarot Kickstarter. I love the drawing style and well-placed rainbow splashes. 

(Not to confuse with the Cosma Visions)

FindYourSovereignty
3 hours ago, Marirowana said:

I'm having a little eye on the Cosmic Visions tarot Kickstarter. I love the drawing style and well-placed rainbow splashes. 

(Not to confuse with the Cosma Visions)

I like it. Missed the early bird though and not sure about spending $30+ on shipping. 🤔

@Niobium @FindYourSovereignty

For the Lubanko Tarot, it says the box closes with a magnet. Its not a two-part box but I don't think its a tuck box either.

I'm happy to see the quote mentioned about shuffle-ability. I have two decks that came with gilded edges and they're so thick I can't shuffle them, so I was a little worried. Thanks for sharing!

I was something like the second-to-last pledge before the deck was fully funded. Frankly I kind of didn't care what it was going to cost, I knew I was getting it.

I don't generally mind what the container is as long as it's not a tuck box.

Though, I can make an exception--one of my decks came in a tuckbox made of incredibly hefty stock. That one is fine, but almost no one supplies tuck boxes with that heft. 

As long as it's not a flimsy tuck box or the horrible design which the Liz Dean Golden Tarot box is in, I'm happy. 🙂 I've been watching her make this one for several months now so first thing when I got up I hopped onto it.

...now, if I can snag a Blood Moon Tarot...

3 hours ago, Niobium said:

Though, I can make an exception--one of my decks came in a tuckbox made of incredibly hefty stock. That one is fine, but almost no one supplies tuck boxes with that heft.

That's an interesting idea.

But what always goes first on my tuckboxes is the "hinge", for lack of a better word. The crease that bends back and forth when you open and close the box. The end flap always comes off eventually, and so do those little side tabs. I suppose a heftier tuckbox would postpone this, but I still think it would happen in time. Virtually anything rigid will break if you bend it back and forth in the same spot long enough, even metal.

Or maybe not? I haven't yet had a problem with my Baba clamshell boxes, or even my USG magnetic boxes, and those are hefty cardboard of some kind. Even though they aren't tuckboxes, they have parts that get bent repeatedly. Maybe they're reinforced somehow with a core layer of fabric or something, IDK.

But I still think tuckboxes are a bad design. I just don't like them. I don't like having to fish cards out of a snug tuckbox with my nails, and I don't like the way a card or two can still hide in the box after you think you got the deck out. I don't like the process of putting the cards back in the box and having to be careful that no cards are butting against the bottom flap and left sticking up.

They do keep the cost of the decks down, but if it's a deck I'm going to be using a lot, I always find a nice bag, box, or tin for it. (Tins rust, but I've found that if I keep a square of camphor with them, it slows the process considerably!) I have bags that cost more than some of the decks that are in them. I like to enjoy getting the cards out, and if that means a $40 silk velvet bag on a $20 USG Albano RWS, so be it.

OK, sorry for the drift. Back to KS decks! (And may the deck creators see this and consider two piece boxes, preferably with those semicircular cutout grips on the sides so the lids lift easily!)

Edited by katrinka

*Exactly*. Hell on one of my decks, the tuckbox would *not* give and I finally accept a tear in it. 😕 Promptly stowed it into a bag, but still. I've since found some methods involving butter knives for getting some to open, but at the end of the day, a 2-piece box of some flavor is always my preference. (As long as it's not a terrible box, hilarious I do have a few of those.)

FindYourSovereignty
8 hours ago, katrinka said:

That's an interesting idea.

But what always goes first on my tuckboxes is the "hinge", for lack of a better word. The crease that bends back and forth when you open and close the box. The end flap always comes off eventually, and so do those little side tabs. I suppose a heftier tuckbox would postpone this, but I still think it would happen in time. Virtually anything rigid will break if you bend it back and forth in the same spot long enough, even metal.

Or maybe not? I haven't yet had a problem with my Baba clamshell boxes, or even my USG magnetic boxes, and those are hefty cardboard of some kind. Even though they aren't tuckboxes, they have parts that get bent repeatedly. Maybe they're reinforced somehow with a core layer of fabric or something, IDK.

But I still think tuckboxes are a bad design. I just don't like them. I don't like having to fish cards out of a snug tuckbox with my nails, and I don't like the way a card or two can still hide in the box after you think you got the deck out. I don't like the process of putting the cards back in the box and having to be careful that no cards are butting against the bottom flap and left sticking up.

They do keep the cost of the decks down, but if it's a deck I'm going to be using a lot, I always find a nice bag, box, or tin for it. (Tins rust, but I've found that if I keep a square of camphor with them, it slows the process considerably!) I have bags that cost more than some of the decks that are in them. I like to enjoy getting the cards out, and if that means a $40 silk velvet bag on a $20 USG Albano RWS, so be it.

OK, sorry for the drift. Back to KS decks! (And may the deck creators see this and consider two piece boxes, preferably with those semicircular cutout grips on the sides so the lids lift easily!)

Yes on all of this. Favorite boxes are the two piece with finger cut outs. 

@Niobium Butter knives? Wow. When a box is so bad that something has to be used as a tool to get it open, it definitely has to go! Even a string or a rubber band would probably be better.

For awhile I saw a lot of decks coming with cheap organza bags. They didn't last long, but they'd do the job until something better came along. Tuckboxes should come with something like that. Or better still, just phase them out!

Edited by katrinka

It wasn't even a particularly fancy deck! I forget which one, now, but I didn't want to tear the flap, and my nails weren't long enough. I needed something that could get under the edge but and firmly lift it. 

All I could think was, WHY ISN'T IT IN A BOX. UGH.

FindYourSovereignty

The Oak, Ash and Thorn deck is coming in a tuck box. She is trying to make it beautiful, but, I am still not excited about it. 

2 hours ago, FindYourSovereignty said:

The Oak, Ash and Thorn deck is coming in a tuck box. She is trying to make it beautiful, but, I am still not excited about it. 

A beautifully printed tuckbox that will get shabby and disintegrate in no time flat, with regular use.

I don't expect the big publishers to stop putting decks in tuckboxes any time soon. Corporations exist solely to make money, and they crunched the numbers and decided tuckboxes were cost effective. They don't really lose sales, since when we really want a deck, we'll buy it, toss the tuckbox, and find a nice bag or something for it. But it would be better to have a decent box to begin with!

The big publishers will probably never listen, but the indie people might. I know a lot of them aren't readers, but artists looking for a venue to sell some work. Maybe they don't realize how bad tuckboxes are because they never put any wear on one. Some of them might listen if people speak up. They could offer a better box or a pouch or something.

Another unfavorite is those big boxes...Schiffer does it, and sometimes you see others. You know those deck and book set things...in most cases the cards can slide around inside, too. Most of those big boxes ARE sturdy (we're paying for that, BTW), but they're annoying and they take up extra space on the shelf. That's another one that makes a bag necessary. They could just sell the deck (in a good box!) and the book separately, like Baba does, or they could shrinkwrap the whole thing together.

Edited by katrinka

Ultimate Diversity Deck is Here!:D Hope it get Completed/published!^^ lol

Disability Justice Wisdom Tarot

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lydiaxzbrown/disability-justice-wisdom-tarot/description

btw regarding tuckbox it's what most people think by default card box & default printer option & main purpose is to wrap your cards for shipping!:) will be popular until we get tins or 2piece box as new standard!:) lol

Edited by reall

not Trans disability, but disabled person right to declare different & raise awareness of existing issues?:)

also I hope author decide to include all good people helping disabled people like caretakers, social workers, friends, family, therapist, psychologist, deft translator, porters etc?:) so we finally have All inclusive deck!^^ lol

Edited by reall

FindYourSovereignty
1 hour ago, reall said:

not Trans disability, but disabled person right to declare different & raise awareness of existing issues?:)

also I hope author decide to include all good people helping disabled people like caretakers, social workers, friends, family, therapist, psychologist, deft translator, porters etc?:) so we finally have All inclusive deck!^^ lol

These were my thoughts, too.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:24 PM, Niobium said:

Another for consideration--I wish there were some better close-ups of the cards, but I like the artist's art in general. Maybe if she posts a few more...

Sorry to see that this one didn't make it, but will be returning under a new name...

FindYourSovereignty

This deck is newly added to Kickstarter. And it is all ready to go as far as I understand. She does a flip-through of all 78 cards.

Edited by FindYourSovereignty

9 hours ago, Mab said:

Sorry to see that this one didn't make it, but will be returning under a new name...

I've been tracking (nicer word than stalking, you see) on instagram, ready to pounce. >.>

On 8/20/2020 at 6:32 AM, Niobium said:

*Exactly*. Hell on one of my decks, the tuckbox would *not* give and I finally accept a tear in it. 😕 Promptly stowed it into a bag, but still. I've since found some methods involving butter knives for getting some to open, but at the end of the day, a 2-piece box of some flavor is always my preference. (As long as it's not a terrible box, hilarious I do have a few of those.)

Coincidentally, I discovered today that using an old letter opener on the blasted tuck box is a better option...🙂

It really is--also if you have long nails, sometimes you can get one under each side and get it open without a tear.

Sigh. Two-part boxes 4 lyfe 😕

Also, I gave in and backed the Meraki Deck. I wasn't going to but then I kept looking at the art and thought 'well...'