More Kickstarter decks for your thoughts

FindYourSovereignty

8 hours ago, Niobium said:

Also, I gave in and backed the Meraki Deck. I wasn't going to but then I kept looking at the art and thought 'well...'

😱 Dammit now I need a new name for my deck! 

I can see why you're getting this deck, it's quite pretty 

I've seen a few versions of that card in a similar style; I'd have to await the book to see what she says.

So, another one cropped up today that seemed to bear mentioning--the art is quite nice and thoughtful in this one, and it's already met its first 2 stretch goals. 

I want to think about it a while before I decide. I do love the way the art is interconnected, like Prisma Visions.

I took a look at that one (out of curiosity), and I find that prices tend to go up and up on Kickstarter lately.

Yes, $70 and it's his very first project, it's a bit pricey imo.

Actually for me who lives in the old Europe, even if I would find his project for my taste, more than $50 and the limit is over!

Edited by Decan

On 9/7/2020 at 10:33 AM, Decan said:

I took a look at that one (out of curiosity), and I find that prices tend to go up and up on Kickstarter lately.

Yes, $70 and it's his very first project, it's a bit pricey imo.

Actually for me who lives in the old Europe, even if I would find his project for my taste, more than $50 and the limit is over!

I'm having second thoughts about this deck because of the pricing, but when I compute it, the price comes out same-ish because the shipping cost is way lower than usual. Shipping to everywhere for this deck is just $5 when it's usually $20-$30 for me (to Canada).

1 hour ago, cosita said:

I'm having second thoughts about this deck because of the pricing, but when I compute it, the price comes out same-ish because the shipping cost is way lower than usual. Shipping to everywhere for this deck is just $5 when it's usually $20-$30 for me (to Canada).

I looked at that closer and towards France, indeed, the shipping is $5 too. It's not the actual shipping though (about $25) so I guess it's include in the $70; but the US citizens will pay more since for them shipping is usually much less. I'm wondering if it's a mistake or not, it looks strange.

ETA: or possibly all the decks won’t be shipped from the US but directly by the printer (in China for example); just an hypothesis I really don’t know...

Edited by Decan

I've found it's really useful to ask the creators about that sort of thing. I typically do it in the open (i.e. via a comment) so everyone else can see the answer.

And, another deck today:

I'm liking the folksy, quilted look, but I'm not sure how I feel about the changes to some of the cards. I have to think about it.

that is some serious fandom!  Hadn't a clue who Joanna Newsom was so have been listening to her performances on youtube. lovely. Not sure about the deck though, the minors are more oracleish. and the cards are Huge! 

Edited to add re pricing: I just got the Telluric Tarot which was priced at 70.00 w/free shipping ... it shipped from Canada, a big box, big digest sized book, so no doubt it would have been 25.00 shipping so that is the way I looked at it. 50.00 deck which is pretty standard for self published now, + shipping which is what it is, postage is expensive everywhere. And certainly has to be taken into consideration according to personal budget. 

I've never sold on etsy but I made my living on Ebay for a time, and sellers there are heavily encourage to offer free shipping, which is simply reflected in the price. Amazon does the same. Free isn't always free 🙂 

Edited by AJ-ish/Sharyn

I was thinking the same re: oracle-ish. Which I'm almost alright with. Still mulling.

Another new deck, this one from an indigenous artist. Looks quite lovely, definitely a somewhat custom theme, but sounds lovely:

I'm digging the color scheme.

My very last Kickstarter was for a deck of playing cards on the theme of the raven.

They deal with a printer in the US for the deck and struggle with important unnecessary delays and from what I understand not much communication (even considering the Covid the printer is really slow since everything was ready to be printed from the beginning).

I don't blame the authors because I get the vibe that they are sorry about this situation which is beyond their control, well, things will be for December.

This will be my very last Kickstarter otherwise!

For the printer, if someone is interested to know that to deal with them seems challenging, it is USPCC

Yeah, this has unfortunately been happening to a *lot* of Kickstarters. (Oz Tarot has run into the same thing, as have the Rainbow Unicorn deck and Blooming Cat.) It's the unfortunate end of the Kickstarter side--you may or may not get things in a timely manner (or, as many of us have found out, at all).

Aaaand another Kickstarter Deck, this one from Hong Kong:

I like the look of this one, so I'm likely to snag it. The Ace-10 cards are black and white ink, the Court cards are two-color, and the majors are fully illustrated. I like her thinking on all these choices; it's nice when the artist gives a concrete process for these decisions.

Oooo, I'm tempted to make a go at that one again. It *does* look very nice...

Also, for those who prefer KS to a standard pre-order, Nell Latimer has done a small Kickstarter for the rest of the Commonplace Tarot funds:

(Her campaign post has interesting comments about what happened the first time around.) UK-based, so a bit more accessible for some!

Edited by Niobium

aries_dreaming

Oh man, I can't even look at Tarot decks on Kickstarter anymore because I want to back them ALL. I got the Psychopomp Tarot, which is quite cool, and Coins of the Tarot, which is exactly what it sounds like - Major Arcana coins made of stainless steel and cards that go with them. I'm not sure about reading them though - I felt they were more of a novelty when I backed them, but we'll see. 

Crap. I REALLY like the look of that Hong Kong deck. Eye of Love? Is that what it's called? 

For those who were wanting a Lumos x Nox deck but aren't a fan of the holofoil (ps that's me), they're doing a KS for a non-holofoil version:

Sadly this one comes in a tuck box and not a rigid 2-part. I'm going to ask them if they might consider an addon for upgrades to a 2-part box because...I hate tuck boxes. >.> So we'll see how that goes.

AJ-ish/Sharyn
On 11/26/2020 at 8:27 PM, aries_dreaming said:

d Coins of the Tarot, which is exactly what it sounds like -

Now that is interesting! Wonderful idea for reading in a windy park 🙂 and they got 68K from backers, amazing. I wouldn't give 10 cents for the deck, but if I read in public I'd snap up the coins. Seeing how they were oriented just as they came out of the bag would add nuance to readings too. Guess you could do it poor boy style and just use a magic marker and metal washers, easy peasy. 

Wanted to share Yokai Yochi Tarot. Early days still. She blew way passed her goal in just a couple of hours. I really love some of the cards but on the whole its just not for me. Thought I'd at least share!

On 1/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, LogicalHue said:

Wanted to share Yokai Yochi Tarot. Early days still. She blew way passed her goal in just a couple of hours. I really love some of the cards but on the whole its just not for me. Thought I'd at least share!

Well, thanks for sharing it.  I'm not usually big on black and white decks, and I'm not usually into the type of imagery presented here...but there's something about this deck that seems to work for me.  I've been contemplating getting a deck that really connects with my fondness for Japan.  I have a "worldly deck" with Tarot of the 78 Doors, where the diversity of imagery and the multiple languages on the cards really make me feel like I'm connecting with Tarot readers from around the world, but that's more of the European kind of worldly.  When it comes to matters pertaining to Japan however, such as my many failed attempts to get that infernal language down, I would much rather turn to a deck with imagery that speaks into that.

Heck, I actually really like that this deck goes for a more traditional Japanese style rather than a manga-style one.  I like anime/manga art just fine, though the peak of my interest in that genre was definitely in my early 20s, and I find that the older I get, the less I need it in my life.  Besides, as the creator clearly isn't from Japan, I can usually tell when someone creates manga-inspired knockoff art, hence why I haven't had an interest in Mystical Manga Tarot.  There's just something about it where I can easily tell that it's a Western product.  While period-inspired art in general isn't something I'm normally into with Tarot decks, I think it actually really works here.  Maybe it's because there is a slight cartoony look to it as well.  

Regardless...this deck actually kind of speaks to me.  It is a bit on the expensive side, mind you.  Perhaps I should support the Kickstarter though.  Not only would that greatly reduce my cost, but it would ensure I'll be able to even get it.  Some Kickstarters go on to be offered on sites like Etsy, but they cost an arm and a leg to ship to me.  It's why I haven't purchased Cosmic Cycles Tarot yet, in spite of being quite interested in it.  So...I'll definitely have to give this set some thought.  It's kind of neat.  

Edit: NVM, it looks like it would set me back $95CAD with taxes, shipping and the exchange rate.  For that price, I'd want the gold parts of the images to be shiny.  In any case, that would cost me more than my Prisma Visions set did, and I way overspent on that.  Maybe I'll wait and see what it's priced at on Etsy...though I somehow doubt it will be any better.  I guess I'll hold out for an Asian-inspired Tarot deck that I can afford.  

Edit 2: Argh!  So, after much consideration, I decided to get it afterall.  It really is unique, and I've noticed a lot of Kickstarter decks become really scarce in no time at all.  This deck really speaks to me, so...I'll do it.  It's mostly the shipping that's making decks like this really expensive for me.  Heck, I noticed that the add-ons all cost $22USD in shipping...each.  So, apparently it's not even one shipping cost per order.  I'm only springing for the deck.  A $1USD print is not worth paying $23USD for.  Lulz.  But, I think this deck will be great for reading into matters pertaining to my Japanese studies.  I guess Kickstarter decks are mostly for people who have a lot of money to spend...

Edited by AlbaTross
Update

So, for those of you who've been wanting a Broken Mirror Tarot but weren't comfortable using ebuy7 (no judgement):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dakeduck/broken-mirror-tarot-iv/description

I'm not clear if this is a reprint of the 4th Edition, or a 5th Edition. It might be both. The photos they show are largely of the 4th Edition, which I have, but there's also a different box they show.