More Kickstarter decks for your thoughts

FindYourSovereignty

aries_dreaming

I backed it. It looks so pretty. I couldn't help myself. Even though I told myself I wasn't backing any more decks on Kickstarter.....

24 minutes ago, aries_dreaming said:

Yeah. Pretty decks always get me. 😉 That's why I got twenty of my fifty in the past two years.....

Wow.  And here I was thinking I have too many.  I'm going to have 12 decks soon (I currently have nine, and ordered three more), with serious plans to get a 13th, and the only thing really holding me back being the creator's slow ship rate, and lack of communication to even her Kickstarter backers.  That...set based on stained glass windows looks really nice too, though maybe that's just a sign I need to stay clear of this thread.

Out of curiosity, how many decks do most people around here have?

5 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

Wow.  And here I was thinking I have too many.  I'm going to have 12 decks soon (I currently have nine, and ordered three more), with serious plans to get a 13th, and the only thing really holding me back being the creator's slow ship rate, and lack of communication to even her Kickstarter backers.  That...set based on stained glass windows looks really nice too, though maybe that's just a sign I need to stay clear of this thread.

I don't know that I can say what most people have; 'collectors' tend to have in the 100+ range, though it's worth noting, a lot of people who collect will cycle their collection. They fall out of synch with a deck, or just decide they're ready to let it go, etc.So IME many will hit a steady state and do sell/trade-offs.

aries_dreaming

You can never have too many decks in my opinion. 😉 But then again, I'm a collector as well. My sister started me off by buying me ten decks in New Orleans on a work trip. This was twenty years ago. The rest, as they say, is history. Thirteen decks is a good amount. Especially if you read them - that's another thing. Different situations and/or querents call for different decks. I always switch decks depending on factors, although I do not read all fifty. Most are kept in storage, although I am thinking of pulling them out and starting to read some of them again, like my Thoth and Medieval Scapini decks, which have been calling to me as of late.

I've also started with Lenormand, and have two decks now, and have plans to buy at least one more. There are some gorgeous decks for that as well. I just bought an awesome, very unique dark gothic deck that called to me from a private buyer. Never seen anything like it. Not even in Tarot. 

aries_dreaming
Just now, Niobium said:

I don't know that I can say what most people have; 'collectors' tend to have in the 100+ range, though it's worth noting, a lot of people who collect will cycle their collection. They fall out of synch with a deck, or just decide they're ready to let it go, etc.So IME many will hit a steady state and do sell/trade-offs.

I have seen this happen, yes. It's hard for me to understand right now - all my decks are special to me. But maybe someday my opinion will change. I'm not sure.

@Niobium thank you!!!  I have wanted this deck for a year and a half.  I backed the campaign as soon as I read your first post today.  

By the way, it seems to definitely be the fourth edition - the campaign is titled Broken Mirror Tarot IV.

1 minute ago, Niobium said:

Ah, ok, makes sense.

1 minute ago, aries_dreaming said:

You can never have too many decks in my opinion. 😉 But then again, I'm a collector as well. My sister started me off by buying me ten decks in New Orleans on a work trip. This was twenty years ago. The rest, as they say, is history. Thirteen decks is a good amount. Especially if you read them - that's another thing. Different situations and/or querents call for different decks. I always switch decks depending on factors, although I do not read all fifty. Most are kept in storage, although I am thinking of pulling them out and starting to read some of them again, like my Thoth and Medieval Scapini decks, which have been calling to me as of late.

I've also started with Lenormand, and have two decks now, and have plans to buy at least one more. There are some gorgeous decks for that as well. I just bought an awesome, very unique dark gothic deck that called to me from a private buyer. Never seen anything like it. Not even in Tarot. 

Yeah, at the stage I'm at, while I can say my time with each deck is divided among them...and not all evenly at that, I have been seeking out decks to fill specific niches.  I'm finally getting an animal-themed deck (Oak, Ash and Thorn reprint), which is something I've been chasing for quite some time.  Animals are a good pick-me-up, if I or a querent ever need it, and can speak directly into matters pertaining to nature, and/or getting closer to it. 

I recently backed that Yokai Yochi Tarot to speak into matters pertaining to Japan.  I just decided to check out another novelty deck on a whim that I probably won't use a ton, but this one also seems to be a mostly TdM deck with a hint of Thoth...though, differently so. 

The one I've been holding out for a long time, but think investing in it would be a risk is the Cosmic Cycles Tarot, to fill a niche for a deck that speaks into contemporary matters.  I'll have to see what the future holds regarding that one, but I've felt for quite some time that it's the deck of that type that I want.  

aries_dreaming

Yep, I've been the same way....I've been getting novelty or special decks too. One's based on one of my favorite series of books, The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning, which I've wanted for years. Same with the Royo Dark Tarot and the Tarot del la Nuit. Then I discovered the Wizards Tarot, the Tarot of Sexual Magic, the Druid Craft Tarot, the Shadowscapes Tarot, and the Cat Tarot and it was off to the races. Oh, and the Favole Tarot and Hush Tarot (which is animal-themed too). I keep discovering new decks to buy! It's insane! Then there's another two decks based on another series of books I love by Maggie Stiefvater I want....it just never ends! I can see how some people end up with 100+ decks!

And they are all different and would work for different querents and different things. So....they'd be useful. Like, I use the Cat Tarot almost exclusively for love readings b/c it's so fluffy and whimsical. Favole's dark, so I might use that for shadow work, once I figure out the suit correspondences (the suits are different, and it's TdM style which I'm not used to). So it's all good. As for what I want....Heaven & Earth Tarot tops my list for the moment b/c it is gorgeous. Gilded Lenormand, because it too is gorgeous. And they are a few more I am actually blanking on that are on my Amazon wishlist. Oh, I just ordered the Animus Mundi deck from Etsy as soon as it got back in stock....now that one is different.....not even close to standard or TdM style...all animals....but gorgeous. Fell in love and HAD to have it. 

Is there a 12-step program for Tarot collectors? 

blue_crow_laura
1 hour ago, AlbaTross said:

I'm also at about the 25 or 30 range (I need to go catalog my latest additions...they get away from you!) For years, I only had four decks: the original Mythic Tarot, the Thoth, the Universal Waite, and the Pagan Cats tarot. But I wasn't actively reading or studying then; I just did a random reading for myself every now and then, that's all.

When I started really studying last year, the collection started growing. Sometimes it's because I see a gorgeous flip-through, or sometimes it's because I'm studying something in particular. For instance, I'm doing a Tarot/Qabalah pathworking class right now and I've been picking up a few Qabalah-centric decks, like the Cicero's Golden Dawn Ritual Tarot and the Tarot of the Spirit. 

What's funny about that last one: I've had the Tarot of the Spirit books for years, but not the deck; from the b&w illustrations in it, the deck didn't appeal to me. When I started seriously working through the book, though, I realized I wanted the deck, and...I love it! it's quite beautiful. 🙂

Oh yeah, and Kickstarter...don't get me started. I have something like three or four decks backed right now. It's so easy to justify them by saying, "I'm not buying it this month...." It's worse than a credit card, lol!

AJ-ish/Sharyn

how many decks should have a thread outside this Kickstarter alerts one. Hopefully a mod will come along and do that. Always a popular subject. 

1 hour ago, aries_dreaming said:

Yep, I've been the same way....I've been getting novelty or special decks too.

Is there a 12-step program for Tarot collectors? 

I wish I knew how much of a slippery slope I was getting myself into, but I guess it's too late for me now.😅

36 minutes ago, blue_crow_laura said:

Oh yeah, and Kickstarter...don't get me started. I have something like three or four decks backed right now. It's so easy to justify them by saying, "I'm not buying it this month...." It's worse than a credit card, lol!

My justification too is, I've noticed many of these Kickstarter decks (not all, but a significant portion) get funded, are maybe sold for a short while afterwards, and then become scarce, to the point where even acquiring them second-hand can be costly, and difficult.  So...I recently decided to up my limit for what I'm willing to spend on those kinds of decks, and make a point of buying ones that really resonate with me to ensure I can have them.

In reality, Tarot really doesn't need to cost so much, and I could just stick to the mass market decks by publishers such as Llewellyn and Lo Scarabeo, which will set me back an average of $40CAD, but are generally decent enough products, with the former often coming in nice boxes, with really nice guidebooks.  My traditional RWS set cost me a bit less than that.  Bridget Esselmont's Everyday Tarot is proof that quality doesn't need to cost a lot (with the only sacrifice being size).  It's only these Kickstarter decks where I really seem to break the bank.

20 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

how many decks should have a thread outside this Kickstarter alerts one. Hopefully a mod will come along and do that. Always a popular subject. 

True, I guess I inadvertently opened up a discussion that warrants its own topic, even though it was fueled by the sheer volume of Kickstarter decks, and their ability to lure us in.

aries_dreaming
2 hours ago, blue_crow_laura said:

I'm also at about the 25 or 30 range (I need to go catalog my latest additions...they get away from you!) For years, I only had four decks: the original Mythic Tarot, the Thoth, the Universal Waite, and the Pagan Cats tarot. But I wasn't actively reading or studying then; I just did a random reading for myself every now and then, that's all.

When I started really studying last year, the collection started growing. Sometimes it's because I see a gorgeous flip-through, or sometimes it's because I'm studying something in particular. For instance, I'm doing a Tarot/Qabalah pathworking class right now and I've been picking up a few Qabalah-centric decks, like the Cicero's Golden Dawn Ritual Tarot and the Tarot of the Spirit. 

What's funny about that last one: I've had the Tarot of the Spirit books for years, but not the deck; from the b&w illustrations in it, the deck didn't appeal to me. When I started seriously working through the book, though, I realized I wanted the deck, and...I love it! it's quite beautiful. 🙂

That's exactly it. And then before you know it, you're $200 in hole when they are all funded and come due around the same time -  ask me how I know lol. I have been staying away from Kickstarter for that reason with the exception of the deck I just backed. 

So the Interim Tarot, which wound up with rather large borders, is getting a second print run without borders:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/interimtarot/interim-beyond-borders?ref=card

For anyone who was interested but didn't like the borders, this might be for you.

Edit: And it's live! 

Edited by Niobium

Ha, so there's a "the bug tarot" and a "the insect tarot" live on kickstarter at the same time? That doesn't feel like great timing. 🙃

19 hours ago, LogicalHue said:

Ha, so there's a "the bug tarot" and a "the insect tarot" live on kickstarter at the same time? That doesn't feel like great timing. 🙃

I was thinking the same. I went for this one over the other, because I feel the Insect Tarot is a bit closer to Tarot as a theme in the way all my favorite Nature decks are. The other one, while very gorgeous, didn't really speak to me as well. 

I'll admit, if the custom card was cheaper, I'd have been ALL over that. Alas, $300 is a bit too rich for my blood.

I can take or leave gnomes.

But, after resolving to lay off Kickstarter for a while, especially those USA based due to the appalling Customs, taxes, etc, I now find that I’ve backed the Broken Mirror and the Avatara, plus the relaunch of the renamed Tuatha one is this month.

After these, I really will stop. Really.

Edited by Mab
Correction

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Ouch, that gnomes deck is painful to look at. LoScarabeo's from 2006-ish is far superior, although in LoS manner, it isn't always strictly RWS or Thoth, sort of mid-something. 

tarot of the gnomes.jpg

I'm unsure about the gnomes one myself.  I could go either way with it.  It is a Canadian product, so I'd probably save on shipping, but...I kind of go back and forth on this one.  

Edited by AlbaTross

On 2/12/2021 at 6:49 PM, Niobium said:

So, for those of you who've been wanting a Broken Mirror Tarot but weren't comfortable using ebuy7 (no judgement):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dakeduck/broken-mirror-tarot-iv/description

Ahhh...  I was telling myself to not buy another deck until I've used my previously purchased ones for a while (my latest deck is only a week old so I haven't done much beyond a couple spreads), but this calls to me. 

Another Kickstarter I'm really interested in is this tarot deck by tattooist Esme Baker. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esmebakertattoo/esme-baker-tattoo-78-card-tarot-deck/description

I saw some of her artwork a while back and really love her style. The Kickstarter makes me nervous though, and I don't know if I'll back it. One of the updates she posted talked about how the KS went so well that while at first she was going to spend March promoting the KS, she was now going to start working on the art. And I was like, ummm what??  So I went back and after carefully reading through her comments on the KS and such, I realized that there's so many things undecided --  cardstock, size ... and of course the big one of even the artwork of the cards themselves. 

So yeah, all that worries me. I remember reading past threads in various places/forums/subs when people discussed KS drama so that's at the forefront of my mind. (I haven't backed anything on Kickstarter since 2013 when I got burned on something that was non-tarot related.)  I think I'm going to follow along and see but argh, I love her art so it's really tempting.

Edited by midrena

13 hours ago, midrena said:

Ahhh...  I was telling myself to not buy another deck until I've used my previously purchased ones for a while (my latest deck is only a week old so I haven't done much beyond a couple spreads), but this calls to me. 

Another Kickstarter I'm really interested in is this tarot deck by tattooist Esme Baker. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esmebakertattoo/esme-baker-tattoo-78-card-tarot-deck/description

I saw some of her artwork a while back and really love her style. The Kickstarter makes me nervous though, and I don't know if I'll back it. One of the updates she posted talked about how the KS went so well that while at first she was going to spend March promoting the KS, she was now going to start working on the art. And I was like, ummm what??  So I went back and after carefully reading through her comments on the KS and such, I realized that there's so many things undecided --  cardstock, size ... and of course the big one of even the artwork of the cards themselves. 

So yeah, all that worries me. I remember reading past threads in various places/forums/subs when people discussed KS drama so that's at the forefront of my mind. (I haven't backed anything on Kickstarter since 2013 when I got burned on something that was non-tarot related.)  I think I'm going to follow along and see but argh, I love her art so it's really tempting.

I'm always hesitant to back when the art isn't done. I've made exceptions but quite often it's a bad decision if I want something quickly. For this reason I'm a little iffy on the Sindarin Tarot--there are no images of the minors available yet, and the person running the KS isn't the artist. I may regret it if I can't get the deck but I'd rather that than it turn out to be another 2-4 year wait.

A nice alternative with completed art: 

Very cute, and I'm a sucker for a watercolor deck.

This one also looks cute:

NYC-inspired deck, wholly person-neutral. I love the color choices.

Queen of Nothing
On 3/10/2021 at 12:38 PM, Niobium said:

I'm always hesitant to back when the art isn't done. I've made exceptions but quite often it's a bad decision if I want something quickly. For this reason I'm a little iffy on the Sindarin Tarot--there are no images of the minors available yet, and the person running the KS isn't the artist. I may regret it if I can't get the deck but I'd rather that than it turn out to be another 2-4 year wait.

A nice alternative with completed art: 

Very cute, and I'm a sucker for a watercolor deck.

This one also looks cute:

NYC-inspired deck, wholly person-neutral. I love the color choices.

The Sindarin Tarot ended up getting cancelled. I backed it mostly to keep an eye on it and get email updates because it seemed a little sketchy. I guess the first artist fell through, and then backers started contacting the new artist and it got out of hand from there. I don't think he was trying to scam people, but the creator was just overly optimistic and ambitious about the project. That said, he did delete his whole account...

I backed the Midnight City Tarot, my first in over a year I think, and I'm so excited about it. I love the colors in it and I love that big city energy it exudes. If only there was a similar LA inspired deck *wistful sigh*