VGimlet

Deck of The Weeek: Sign-up Thread: Week 135 : February 8 - February 14

VGimlet

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a new deck to work with exclusively for the week.

Anyone is welcome. Please join us!

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc.

Participants:

1. VGimlet - Modern Witch Tarot (Sterle)

2. AJ-ish/Sharyn - Animism Tarot

3. Mi-Shell - Southwest Sacred Tribes Tarot

4. Bodhiseed - Margarete Petersen paired with Elemental Dice

5. 53rdspirit - The Playing Card Oracles

6. Amberjune - Cheimonette Tarot and  Oracle of Mystical Moments and the Spirit Cats

(445)

Edited by VGimlet

VGimlet

Yes, I know it's a day early, but I have a crazy busy weekend ahead, and, much like Indiana Jones I am trying to keep in front of the giant rolling boulder that is my  "to do"list so it doesn't flatten me.  Heh.

I'll be using the Modern Witch Tarot by Lisa Sterle this week.   the tin is pretty - I have no memory of the cards I bought so long ago, so it will be a fun surprise, I hope.  

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Animism Tarot for me, another new one 😉 thank you VG

Edited by AJ-ish/Sharyn

Mi-Shell

Oh, @AJ-ish/Sharyn!

What a neat avatar! where is it from?

More with the Soutwest Sacred Tribes Tarot for me this week.

This week the emphasis is on how well - or not - reverse card meanings jive with Heyoka Medicine.

Bodhiseed

Margarete Petersen paired with Elemental Dice - thank you VG!

53rdspirit

The Playing Card Oracles by Ana Cortez shall be my choice for the week of February 8-14, 2020. It is a unique divination system that is very different from what I am used to and I like to get out of my comfort zone from time to time because that is how I learn! I am delighted to be a part of this group and a member of Tarot, Tea & Me because you inspire and motivate me to use all these cards I've collected over the years that have just sat patiently, waiting to speak. 😊

Playing Card Oracles.jpg

Edited by 53rdspirit
Add picture

Amberjune

Hello all,

thank you for the new thread @VGimlet !

I am in with the Cheimonette Tarot by Eden Gallanter and the Oracle of Mystical Moments by Catrin Welz-Stein.

For my nature/animal deck this week I am going with an old favorite, the Spirit Cats by Nicole Piar.

Happy Full Moon everybody 🌝

53rdspirit

So, two days into the Playing Card Oracle (I'll refer to it as PCO) by Ana Cortez. I've been journaling the chapters and watching her online course and ended my session last night with a reading. My plan is to try to only use a spread or spreads from the instruction sheet or book that goes with the deck I am using. If that fails, I'll use a spread I'm used to. Anyway...

I purchased the PCO because I was intrigued with its back story and system. I feel as though I am personally welcomed into the family (C. J. Freeman (Ana's father) and Ana herself). Her YouTube videos that follow the book are very relaxed and easy to listen to and understand --I feel as though I'm just having coffee and talking to my sister. That aside, of note, the suit elements are different from what I've used for years. The Clubs are Air, the Diamonds are Fire, the Hearts are Water (that's the same as I'm used to), and the Spades are Earth. I am journaling this deck/system in my journal on this website so I won't go into much more detail here. 

Last night, I tried my first layout (The Lost Man). I'm unsure of what I see. My gut tells me that the two young women (I'm the "old" Queen of Spades (Earth) in the middle 😄 )  on either side of me are my two daughters, the young man (Lancelot) to the left with the 4 of Hearts (West Wind) is my son-in-law. I was unsure what this spread was trying to tell me.

20200209_160710.jpg

So, this morning, I did my familiar three-card spread of the day thingy and and now I think that I understand.

On to the next chapter.

Edited by 53rdspirit

AJ-ish/Sharyn

My plan is to try to only use a spread or spreads from the instruction sheet or book that goes with the deck I am using (53rdspirit)

What a good idea! And thank you for being a subscriber to the forum! 

drives me crazy when wands/fire and swords/air are switched although I've read the arguments for the change many times. 

Mi-Shell
20 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

It drives me crazy when wands/fire and swords/air are switched although I've read the arguments for the change many times. 

Same here. 

I do have a few decks, that I just do not use at all because of this....

I think I am toooooo ingrained........

53rdspirit

I think that is the hardest part for me with this particular deck. I can usually ignore element switches in different systems and just go ahead reading using what I'm used to; however, the PCO system has the pictures on the pip cards so I'm trying to adjust to its system. I'm wondering, when I go back to my other cards, how I'll deal with them.. It's not too difficult when using non-pictorial minors or pips. 😄 

53rdspirit

Already spent two days on the court cards and the directional winds --and I'm lovin' it!!!

53rdspirit

After a bit, I'm getting used to the suit/element associations in this deck's system (Hearts-Water-Spring, Clubs-Air-Summer, Diamonds-Fire-Autumn, Spades-Earth-Winter). I'm wondering now, when I go back to other decks, how will I handle it? Some tarot decks are not suit/element-specific and regular playing cards should not be a problem. I will need more time on the Playing Card Oracles as I'm only about half-way through the book/exercises, studying only when I find the time and seems this week has been particularly busy with outside distractions. Ah well...

I love the art depicting the directional winds in this deck; so much so that researched a bit of wind mythology and biblical references, jotting down some notes in my journal.

winds.thumb.jpg.0d05e26c3dce82c757faf422cb679287.jpg

Bodhiseed

From the Margarete Petersen Tarot, the Three of Cups; from the roll of the Elemental Dice, Tornado (Air + Darkness):

3%2Bcups.jpgtornado_0002.jpg

There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other. 

~J. K. Rowling

Whether through something we've endured, a challenge met together, or a love shared, we find common bonds and develop friendships. Tribes help us honor what is lost or celebrate what has been gained; they help open our hearts and minds to multiple viewpoints. These groups can provide a sense of well-being as long as they remain inclusive, considerate and compassionate. Yet the Tornado pairing suggests that these priceless friendships can easily be destroyed. Past grievances, petty irritations, and unreasonable expectations can be just as destructive as the winds of this storm. These mindsets only destroy and never nourish or sustain.

Thoughts of “we” connect us, reminding us of our common humanity. Our individual sufferings are seen as being shared by others, and as being part of the difficulties we all have in being human. Our sufferings are not a sign of us being broken, but of us belonging to a greater whole. Our sufferings connect us with others, rather than pushing us into a sense of separateness.

—Bodhipaksa

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I enjoyed my time with the Animism Tarot, although I only used it on the blog, nothing came to mind for a reading. I had issues with some of the animals she chose but I expect it is hard to pull 78 animals and connect them to a card.